Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MH Knights posted:

The cow is apparently a fan of Gene Simmons/KISS?

Who isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Who isn't?

Hundreds of women who he's harassed, in Gene's case

I'm not gonna get in a thing about KISS because I don't care for them but their act has to be pretty tired by now

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MH Knights posted:

The cow is apparently a fan of Gene Simmons/KISS?

That cow will be hearing from Gene Simmons lawyer!

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'm pretty sure I saw this here a long while back (and maybe its been posted more recently, I'm still working back through the thread for the first time in a year or so) but I've been getting really into Don Rosa and Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics lately. Actually found a reprint of Seven Cities of Cibola from the 60s, which I think is the oldest comic in my collection now. This is from issue 8 of The Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

Scrooge finds himself manacled to the smokestacks of a riverboat owned by loan shark and criminal scumbag Soapy Slick. Ever the rear end in a top hat, Slick's taunting Scrooge with letters from his family that he had just picked up when he was attacked.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, Scrooge going full Samson. I need to get some Don Rosa comics for when my nephews get a little older.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know it's his entire schtick, but Scrooge is such a money grubbing poo poo it's a little hard for me to read some of his comics.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the life and times of scrooge mcduck is more tolerable, mostly because even tho he goes full libertarian in the "modern" chapter, he literally does start from nothing and works his way to

oh my god it's just capitalist propaganda, how did i not see that

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The only difference is the bootstraps are built for webbed feet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The main difference between Scrooge and other capitalists in comics is that, at least according to Barks and Don Rosa canon, Scrooge is 100% honest and upstanding in his business deals. Once, just the one time, he did a terrible and unethical thing (he ran an african tribe off their land because he wanted to purchase it), and he regrets it for the rest of his life and tries to make amends.

He's also kind of a lovely person, depending on how you view him :v: but one can be honest and lovely, the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there was also that one time that Scrooge accidentally destroyed a civilization by introducing them to capitalism so its kind of hard to get a read on the series' economic opinions

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm not gonna get in a thing about KISS because I don't care for them but their act has to be pretty tired by now

I saw them a couple months ago. It was still a drat fun show.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Senju Kannon posted:

the life and times of scrooge mcduck is more tolerable, mostly because even tho he goes full libertarian in the "modern" chapter, he literally does start from nothing and works his way to

oh my god it's just capitalist propaganda, how did i not see that

The modern chapter is also an incredible riff on Citizen Kane.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mikl posted:

The main difference between Scrooge and other capitalists in comics is that, at least according to Barks and Don Rosa canon, Scrooge is 100% honest and upstanding in his business deals. Once, just the one time, he did a terrible and unethical thing (he ran an african tribe off their land because he wanted to purchase it), and he regrets it for the rest of his life and tries to make amends.

He's also kind of a lovely person, depending on how you view him :v: but one can be honest and lovely, the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

He's figuratively and literally haunted by it, as he's perpetually persecuted by a zombie that was created to chase him down for as long as he lives

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Barks' comics are definitely products of their time - the Cold War was on, so the capitalist as hero is understandable, even if it definitely can feel like propaganda. Similarly, portrayals of native and aboriginal peoples can be kind of uncomfortable viewed through a modern lens, though they don't feel particularly mean spirited. I certainly saw much more offensive portrayals in comics and cartoons well into the 1990s.

As others have mentioned, though Scrooge is money-motivated he's not unscrupulous and refuses to outright swindle people. Today's real life hyper capitalist monsters like Martin Skrelli and Donald Trump have way more in common with Soapy Slick than they do Scrooge McDuck.

Putting all that aside, Barks is just an incredible storyteller. His comics that I've read have consistently been really fantastic, engrossing stories and you can easily see why they were so influential to everybody from Spielberg to Tezuka.

And that all said, I may actually like Don Rosa even more. He definitely emulates his hero Barks, but he's a lot more detail-oriented visually. You never really see panels like this one, from the same issue as above, in a Barks comic. I think I read somewhere that Rosa was also very influenced by various Mad Magazine artists and it definitely shows.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Perry Normal posted:

And that all said, I may actually like Don Rosa even more. He definitely emulates his hero Barks, but he's a lot more detail-oriented visually. You never really see panels like this one, from the same issue as above, in a Barks comic. I think I read somewhere that Rosa was also very influenced by various Mad Magazine artists and it definitely shows.

That's a very Mad Magazine panel. Good stuff; I could spend an afternoon staring at pages of that. :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He also gets very upset if you try to talk to him about Duck Tales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the thing about Scrooge is that some of his traits (intelligence, courage, cleverness, perseverance, honesty) are admirable and are tempered by his greed. He is literally named after, well, Scrooge. His greed is his great weakness and is never actually portrayed as a good thing and often leads to him being successful financially but at a cost to himself personally. The good Duck stuff tends to emphasize the idea that Scrooge is an exceptional individual with a very serious flaw that ends up costing him a lot of happiness.

Scrooge gets a lot of victories but it's fairly rare they're full victories and the worse he acts the more hollow his profit tends to be.For all that Scrooge McDuck diving in his pool full of gold is an iconic image, the good stories usually focus on him trying to find happiness outside of money or confronting people who are his own worst flaws magnified.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 7, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My Daughter Is An S-Rank Adventurer

In a sword-and-sorcery world, the black-haired girl in these pages, Angeline, is part of an adventurer's guild, and she's among the top ranked. She hasn't seen her father in five years, since she's left her hometown, and every time she tries to take some time off and go visit him her vacation gets ruined because of a monster attack or something else, which prevents her from going home. And she's getting really annoyed about that.

As this scene opens, Angeline is traveling towards her hometown, hitching a ride on a merchant's wagon, when she starts to feel like she's being watched.

e. whoops, missed a page. Fixed it now.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 7, 2019

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Getting some strong Necropolis vibes from that sequence. loving bandits.

Context: Girl has just gotten a new sword. She's told that as long as she holds that sword, no other blade can touch her.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there a good way to read necropolis on mobile? The Tumblr site is not good for sequential reading.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
She certainly made an impression on Woodchuck there but she's gonna be in trouble when she goes up against Guts

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Also goes in the Funny Panels Thread

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Also goes in the Funny Panels Thread

yeah I laughed first cause his head was just...gone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AkumaHokoru posted:

yeah I laughed first cause his head was just...gone.

I laughed because the guy said "Oi", which made me read his text in an Australian accent.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

prefect posted:

I laughed because the guy said "Oi", which made me read his text in an Australian accent.

it is scientifically proven australian thugs are the most amusing thugs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I know it's his entire schtick, but Scrooge is such a money grubbing poo poo it's a little hard for me to read some of his comics.

The Don Rosa comic is very open about how getting rich will gently caress you up:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

japanese people say "oi" too, which is pretty lmao tbh

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

japanese people say "oi" too, which is pretty lmao tbh

yeah with the Japanese its more of a expression of surprise than it is like a "hey"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AkumaHokoru posted:

it is scientifically proven australian thugs are the most amusing thugs.

That's why one of the best things about Mortal Kombat 11 is how of all the MK2-era characters to meet their future selves, the only one who is 100% happy with how things turn out is Kano.

"Over 50 and still a ripper!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt Cage also pretty happy to see Cage? :v

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Young Cage is excited, old Cage is just embarrassed at what a douchebag he used to be.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isnt Cage also pretty happy to see Cage? :v

They get along better than most, but they also get in a fight because Older Cage calls out Younger Cage for being a sexist rear end in a top hat and Younger Cage resents him for it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Cage also gets the second best ending in the game: after receiving Time God powers Young Johnny looks through time to see just how he did not gently caress up raising a daughter and discovered that it was because he went through so much poo poo and grew as a person as a result. In the end he realized that he had to go through that and just left it alone.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 8, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I'd be fine with it if they wrote him more as a Mr. Burns type dickhead. Not like all the way, just like highlight that he's a greedy jerk more. They usually do that in the more lighthearted comics where he interacts with Donald and the nephews, like he'll cook up some wacky scheme and it'll backfire but he'll still profit in the end and completely fail to learn a lesson, and everyone else rolls their eyes. The stuff where he's a superhero and completely in the right like posted above is where it gets hard to read.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'd be fine with it if they wrote him more as a Mr. Burns type dickhead. Not like all the way, just like highlight that he's a greedy jerk more. They usually do that in the more lighthearted comics where he interacts with Donald and the nephews, like he'll cook up some wacky scheme and it'll backfire but he'll still profit in the end and completely fail to learn a lesson, and everyone else rolls their eyes. The stuff where he's a superhero and completely in the right like posted above is where it gets hard to read.

The panels posted here where from before he became rich. And like people have said before, once he becomes the multibillionaire we all know he loses pretty much everything that would make him happy, including his family.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nothing to add, it's just fun to see Robbie out-Jonah Jonah

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

nothing to add, it's just fun to see Robbie out-Jonah Jonah

I can almost hear JK Simmons barking out a "HA! Deal, now get out of my office! MS BRANT!?!" in the next panel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A good old fashioned smoke off

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I can almost hear JK Simmons barking out a "HA! Deal, now get out of my office! MS BRANT!?!" in the next panel.

Robbie is just about the only person JJJ respects enough that criticism from him can cause self reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

AkumaHokoru posted:

yeah with the Japanese its more of a expression of surprise than it is like a "hey"

So it's like a "hello".