Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If it actually goes into effect, it'll essentially impact every American who worries about what they spend money on.

How much it would impact a Kickstarter would depend on where they are in their process when and if it goes into effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

So how badly do you think our dipshit president's Chinese tarrif increase will gently caress over Kickstarters?

Knock-on effects are inevitable, but printing and relatively small fulfillment operations might be largely unaffected. I would expect China to be discerning in their retaliation, since we're still a big market and they want our money. As stupid as we're being, full tilt vengeance would gently caress them up, too.

Edit: Oh did his latest tantrum apply to all imports? God, what a loving crumbum.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 8, 2019

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So how badly do you think our dipshit president's Chinese tarrif increase will gently caress over Kickstarters?

If shipping estimate fuckups are any indication, plenty.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I really hope this all holds off for at least a bit. Bee Lives is supposed to leave China this week.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I'm thinking in terms of project creators that might need to add another 15% to production costs as a result. For a closed project, if I'm understanding this right, this could be a big loving deal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Imagine being British right now and trying to plan a Kickstarter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Rowain, Rook, and Deckard (the publisher for Spire among other games) are having to deal with just that as we speak. Brexit is something everyone is also gonna have to deal with. Thankfully the Lancer KS is well overfunded because they're gonna have to weather both the Chinese trade war bullshit and deal with Brexit when it comes to shipping/distribution in the UK.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're doing it entirely out of the EU and telling the UK backers they might have to pay a tariff.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

Rowain, Rook, and Deckard (the publisher for Spire among other games) are having to deal with just that as we speak. Brexit is something everyone is also gonna have to deal with. Thankfully the Lancer KS is well overfunded because they're gonna have to weather both the Chinese trade war bullshit and deal with Brexit when it comes to shipping/distribution in the UK.

Yeah. This sort of poo poo is exactly why small RPG book projects are best served doing PoD with at-cost codes. Takes away almost all the risk. Bigger projects can generally afford to have a good chunk of funds budgeted for unforeseen costs, where smaller projects would just get hosed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah. This sort of poo poo is exactly why small RPG book projects are best served doing PoD with at-cost codes. Takes away almost all the risk. Bigger projects can generally afford to have a good chunk of funds budgeted for unforeseen costs, where smaller projects would just get hosed.

Lancer was originally just going to be PoD but got talked around to doing an actual print run due to enthusiastic player demand and a suspicion that it could easily cover its goals. It's over $350k of an initial $46k ask so I think they'll be fine even if production costs unexpectedly spike, but it's absolutely an additional layer of complication. The flipside is that if it was just a PoD project would it have garnered such a huge response? It's hard to say.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kai Tave posted:

Lancer was originally just going to be PoD but got talked around to doing an actual print run due to enthusiastic player demand and a suspicion that it could easily cover its goals. It's over $350k of an initial $46k ask so I think they'll be fine even if production costs unexpectedly spike, but it's absolutely an additional layer of complication. The flipside is that if it was just a PoD project would it have garnered such a huge response? It's hard to say.

The main problem with doing something the size of Lancer via PoD is the margins. Getting it printed PoD costs ~$40 per copy; getting it printed via offset is closer to $10. So, yeah, international shipping is a hassle, but it’s not a $30 per copy-sized hassle (>$86,000 at time of posting).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flavivirus posted:

The main problem with doing something the size of Lancer via PoD is the margins. Getting it printed PoD costs ~$40 per copy; getting it printed via offset is closer to $10. So, yeah, international shipping is a hassle, but it’s not a $30 per copy-sized hassle (>$86,000 at time of posting).

Yeah that'd do it. Man I legit didn't know the difference in margins was that significant.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah that'd do it. Man I legit didn't know the difference in margins was that significant.

Yeah. Plus, low enough unit costs make things like wholesale distribution a lot more feasible - getting 35% RRP a copy is a lot more attractive when that still gives you enough profit for another print run and change.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently the Game of Thrones cardgame guy beat his kids and got CPS called on him?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Apparently the Game of Thrones cardgame guy beat his kids and got CPS called on him?
And Fantasy Flight responded to the knock-off campaign over Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1126128197958086656

EDIT: Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding, this guy is a loving monster scumbag. Someone was able to rip the Youtube audio of a video he posted beating/verbally abusing his kid. I couldn't make it through more than 20 seconds to verify, it's disgusting.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 8, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Wow, that kickstarter went from funny to dark really fast.

It looks like the commenters there have already contacted the authorities, so it's being handled, at least.

e: Based on some other comments, he may also be running some kind of ebay jewelry scam involving multiple accounts?

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 8, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hahahaha, oh wow. He really really hosed up.

Not just in "gonna get sued by people with more money than god" but also in the "All of my past evil deeds are getting exposed under the scrutiny of the entire internet"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's sad and gross, this dude is obviously mentally ill and/or mentally disabled and needed assistance, instead he's been allowed to fester and hurt others. A functional society would have already gotten this guy help, instead he's gonna get turfed into jail, cost us all a bunch of money, and probably come out a sovereign citizen. Real lose/lose poo poo here.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
You got to be smart about these things. My upcoming Kickstarter is only ripping off an IP no one cares about John Carter of Mars.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Guys guys guys, think about it... Waterworld the deckbuilder... just let that sink in, I'll wait.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chubbs posted:

Guys guys guys, think about it... Waterworld the deckbuilder... just let that sink in, I'll wait.

I tried setting up an authentic Waterworld play surface and now all my cards are ruined, thanks. :mad:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Poor Ariva, larped too hard and made paper mache.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LongDarkNight posted:

You got to be smart about these things. My upcoming Kickstarter is only ripping off an IP no one cares about John Carter of Mars.

It'll be public domain next year, unless there's some shenanigans I'm not aware of.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the next big Cthulhu/Conan cookie cutter setting.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It'll be public domain next year, unless there's some shenanigans I'm not aware of.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the next big Cthulhu/Conan cookie cutter setting.

I would be surprised, but planetary romance could make a comeback! Maybe we'll get it filtered in starting with "John Carter vs Cthulhu" having a giant minis-based Kickstarter.

Hold on, I just thought of a way to make some cash...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game

(I'm assuming you already know about this and thats :thejoke:)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

No, the movie. People care about the books.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
half of it's public domain already anyway

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

It isn't.

I mean, I guess it could be that large in some cases? It certainly wasn't for Strike! For Strike! The PoD costs were significantly less than $30 each, and I don't know that I could have gotten it print offset and then shipped to a distributor for under $10/book. Certainly the places I checked out would have come in over that, but obviously it's possible I didn't know where to look for the best prices.

It would also have necessitated choosing either hardcover or softcover for all the books because there certainly wasn't enough demand to do full offset runs of both. And some people wanted to pay more and get hardcover while others wanted to pay less and get softcover.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chubbs posted:

Why not, everything else sank.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
God I hope the Bloodborne kickstarter goes in to the DLC bosses and we end up with the Astral Clocktower stuff and the Moon Presence. The bosses included so far seem like really odd choices and I have no idea why they started with the ones they did.

Im surprised so much of it is kickstarter only - I know FOMO drives a lot of KS pledges but entire areas being limited seems like hobbling the long term potential? Maybe I love BB too much and am assuming too many people will be interested in the miniatures who aren't already on the KS.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Marzipan Pig posted:

God I hope the Bloodborne kickstarter goes in to the DLC bosses and we end up with the Astral Clocktower stuff and the Moon Presence. The bosses included so far seem like really odd choices and I have no idea why they started with the ones they did.

Im surprised so much of it is kickstarter only - I know FOMO drives a lot of KS pledges but entire areas being limited seems like hobbling the long term potential? Maybe I love BB too much and am assuming too many people will be interested in the miniatures who aren't already on the KS.

Retail sell through for something with a billion SKUs isn't going to be great, and warehousing will be expensive.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The bloodborne card game was also weird about which bosses to use, as well as using only game model art on the cards rather than concept art or new illustrations.

That's not to say the card game doesn't rule but their aesthetic sense is different from mine. And I think they prefer not to use the Moon Presence, for whatever reason, or at least not include it as central, no idea why.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CMON haven't been doing well financially. I imagine they are trying to bank on FOMO for an influx of capital. Usually not this much is KS exclusive. Unless they plan on supporting post KS delivery (ya right).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Going to something not completely terrible, I think it's really cool that you can get a PDF copy of Traveler for 2 bucks if you're broke and can't afford any other tiers. It's not a great version of the game but that's a really cool thing to do.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
To no-one’s surprise, the creator has removed the GoT game.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

The_Doctor posted:

...and reuploaded it on Indiegogo!

With a picture of his kid!

:stonk:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

The_Doctor posted:

And now its back up on indie-gogo! Surely the IP holders won't notice this time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

And now its back up on indie-gogo! Surely the IP holders won't notice this time

Does FFG already know?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

Does FFG already know?

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1126128197958086656?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Dawgstar posted:

Does FFG already know?

I think this indie-gogo one just went up t his morning so probably not yet