Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i know so little about dq6 that i'm not even convinced it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably my least fave DQ, just because it's kind of huge and meandering. the parallel worlds narrative makes it hard to keep track of where you ever are or why you're there

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

6 is definitely the weakest of the bunch but it's still fun to mess around with jobs and stuff. The main issue is the final boss being drat near impossible unless you've built your entire team as Heroes and other OP classes, which goes against the main reason I enjoy job systems

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never played IX but it sounds like the best of the DQ job system games, is that true or am I imagining things.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah I'd say it is. There's all the classics and more, plus armor and weapons are shown in game so you can look hella badass.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

i know so little about dq6 that i'm not even convinced it exists

it looked very pretty on snes but the grind is brutal and it takes forever to beat hell maybe even longer than original psx dq7

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

DQ6 was fun (I played the remake) and the job system is good. But there's definitely a segment in the middle of the game where the plot kind of disappears and you're wandering around aimlessly looking for quests.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think 3 is worth playing. Maybe it's just nostalgia but it's a really cozy adventure game with lots of neat weird stuff to find. The plot isn't anything special but I'm a big exploration gamer and it has that in spades. Perhaps the grinding is bad though if you're not a 12 year old blitzed on adderall. The job system is fun, a good secret to win the game is to start with a fighter and then reclass them to a mage so they leap out first in combat throwing fire everywhere. The soundtrack is seared into my brain because I'd just sit and listen to it holding my gameboy up to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBK7BZo2FQI

It's worth playing just to see how the series evolved, at least in my opinion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unlike 1 and 2, 3 doesn't really feel very primitive at all. It's a bit sparse, but - provided you're playing a version with the modern EXP curve - it definitely still holds up today.

The part in the middle of 6 where you're basically just on an aimless journey of self-discovery (please forgive me for this pun) is one of my favorite parts of it. I think the problem with 6 and 7 is that the job system they have is not a very rewarding one. It's kind of awkward, really. It encourages grind, requires blind choice, doesn't add much in the way of nuance to the characters, and has a tendency to induce a motivation cliff around the time you start mastering your first first top-tier vocations, which is usually right before the final dungeon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I had no idea the FFXIII trilogy was on Steam. Do i definitely need to start with the first game? Because from what I've heard the gameplay in the others sounds more appealing to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII-2 is pretty similar to 1 but LR is totally different, but I would recommend them all bc they all pwn

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Play them all or burn in hell.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have the exact same battle system, and Lightning Returns has a faster and more action based one. XIII has a long linear section then a pretty huge and mostly optional open world one, XIII-2 is almost completely nonlinear (which while interesting I think hurts the challenge of the game a bit until the very end) and LR is a big open world split into 4 sections that has scaling difficulty depending on how many days have passed.

I enjoy them all and since it is a trilogy you'd need to play them all to really understand the story. Though Lightning Returns is my favorite Final Fantasy game, so if I had to choose one that would be it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
imho play them all

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

I had no idea the FFXIII trilogy was on Steam. Do i definitely need to start with the first game? Because from what I've heard the gameplay in the others sounds more appealing to me

i dont like 13 but i like 13-2. corridors of unskippable enemies in identical formations and stuff .. just winds me up. 13-2 and LR doesnt have any of that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

13-2 has that too since it's all just scrapped/reused assets from XIII

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

13-2 has that too since it's all just scrapped/reused assets from XIII

u can avoid encounters in that. well except in that 1 part

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if anyone wants an interesting short interview, here’s the guy who localized Vagrant Story, Ace Attorney, and bunch of other FF/Capcom games talking about the process

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/16/the-writer-who-fixed-final-fantasy/

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if anyone wants an interesting short interview, here’s the guy who localized Vagrant Story, Ace Attorney, and bunch of other FF/Capcom games talking about the process

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/16/the-writer-who-fixed-final-fantasy/

this was a good read

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm playing through 13 for the first time and wow the music box tower dungeon is exactly the kind of thing I didn't expect in this game and it's extremely good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The 13 trilogy is all 50% off on Steam for the week. The patient gamer wins again :cool: excited to play

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I finished ff13 and holy crap I'm glad I didn't skip it it gets extremely good. I love how the final boss felt super powerful and dangerous while at the same time not feeling like a damage sponge. It's so weird to play a game that ends so much better than it begins, like it's much more common for games to fall apart. It does get so good though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
👍

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

goferchan posted:

The 13 trilogy is all 50% off on Steam for the week. The patient gamer wins again :cool: excited to play

aw yeah

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I was really hype on FFXII on Switch but I’m starting to understand some of the criticism after I whooped a boss’s rear end without touching the controller. I’m pretty early in but how does the difficulty curve out?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I was really hype on FFXII on Switch but I’m starting to understand some of the criticism after I whooped a boss’s rear end without touching the controller. I’m pretty early in but how does the difficulty curve out?

gently caress you

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Why. Auto battling random enemies is cool but if I don’t even have to do anything during boss fights then what’s the point

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

gently caress you

Hold on, let's here what he has to say

Why. Auto battling random enemies is cool but if I don’t even have to do anything during boss fights then what’s the point

*loading shotgun as fast as humanely possible*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i think im gonna play lighting returns again. they say lightning never strikes twice but i'm gonna have fun a second time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

IDK, I never got far enough to see since I had the same problem with the game as you. I always meant to give it another shot tho

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm still enjoying it, it's just really easy right now. I know the superboss is supposed to be really hard which is cool but I hope it picks up soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

every FF is easy outside of postgame stuff, it's by design, since they're insanely popular and need to be beaten by anyone dumber than a 3 year old.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I'm still enjoying it, it's just really easy right now. I know the superboss is supposed to be really hard which is cool but I hope it picks up soon

the superbosses in ff12 aren't really hard either, they mostly just take a long time

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

It’s crazy how XII was such a departure from the insanely interactive and reflex driven battles the series was known for.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

u can play it manually if you realy like and just set up some gambits for auto res or countering specific status effects something. but its not my favourite ff either way

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
but to answer your question yea some of the later bosses are more complex. and some of the super bosses wont work if you just have 1 gambit list no matter what u do. and u still need to plan each list out for each boss etc. my advice would be to not use quickenings on anything in the game since they are stupid. unlock them though cos they increase your mp bar

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i mean bear in mind even rpgs like DQ11, persona 5 and nocturne can be broken with the right demon setups if all u do is google what they are .. and those are top tier jrpgs. its on you to draw the line in the sand

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All the post game bosses constantly throw up physical and magical immunity barriers and sometimes both simultaneously. They take ages

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ff12 just takes the series to it's logical conclusion and has most of the combat be in the set-up in the menu screen. even the boss fights with the bigger hunts are mostly about choosing when to activate the insane limit break chains to finish the boss off. you do have to set up your gambits differently for some of the fights, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

All the post game bosses constantly throw up physical and magical immunity barriers and sometimes both simultaneously. They take ages

yeah, this is kind of how they try to answer the limit break chain thing. a lot of the bosses turn it on when they're low on hit points and just have the barrier up for a couple of minutes to prevent you from just chaining them to death. i like 12 but i always bounce off of it once it gets to the part where you're just collecting the big summons and doing the last few hunts. i've gotten to pharos multiple times and never beat the game.