Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kuvo posted:

Pa-paya, forever and always.

When Papaya was introduced, I was moved to produce at work. The end of my day was doing the papayas, and that is what played in my head during the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GentlemanGiant posted:

I vote for "The Mushroomery"

the best bgm

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Frabba posted:

I'm the weirdo who has enjoyed MCH leveling up through 61 so far. It's going to be real fun when I unlock heated shots in a few levels :v:.

Heated shots are the best. All of them look so cool and ridiculous.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What ever happened with that bitchin meteor ring YoshiP showed off on the FFXIV Instagram. They mentioned the Tokyo fan fest, but I don’t remember any announcements for it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kaubocks posted:

working on my home playlist

looking for a song to replace exponential entropy. i like that song but it doesn’t really fit my current chill theme. was leaning amdapor city hard theme but that shits 2 million on the MB. i also kinda liked poison ivy but that song gets a bit strange after a bit

really wish lunacy had an orchestrion roll

The pit stop and diner tracks from the FFXV crossover event are super chill

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vermain posted:

What's your current level? Every healer struggles to a certain extent with the 41-50 bump, and a lot of Heavensward leveling content gets speedrun by synced tanks, which can end up chewing through your mana if you're undergeared compared to the dungeon's ilvl.

Scholar, in general, wants to limit their personal healing output as much as possible. Galvanize should be used before a pull, and then only used if the tank is in danger of dying and your faerie needs time to catch up. Pre-50, always have Eos out and set to Obey. Alternate between Whispering Dawn, Rouse, and Fey Illumination from pull to pull to put out additional healing on the tank. Ideally, you should manually control her to be in a good position to heal the tank/hit him with Whispering Dawn, but you can also just run up alongside the tank as they pull if you'd prefer to avoid the hassle. Using Physick is fine pre-50 if you need to keep up with healing. Post-50, use Lustrate to top up the tank when needed and Indomitability when your group takes damage that needs to be healed immediately (instead of over time with Whispering Dawn).

Whenever the tank doesn't require immediate healing, you should be DPSing. Especially in lower level content, a good Scholar can pump out DPS well within 80-90% of what good DPS are doing. The faster that things die, the easier it is for your faerie to keep pace with healing, and the less mana you need to spend on hideously expensive Adloquiums.

Also to kind of expand on this, Healing in FFXIV isn't like healing in wow, where you just spend your time spamming your highest efficiency spell with a couple emergency cooldowns. You're meant to be relying on your highly efficient cooldowns like Indom, Lustrate, Whispering Dawn, etc, and only using your GCD healing when it's needed. Adlo is wicked expensive, and the main reason you'd use it is to prevent a specific instance of lots of damage on the tank or a party member, like a tankbuster or single person bomb, or because it's a BIG pull and your fairy can't keep up with rouse on and you're out of Aetherflow (this situation is usually either the tank is pulling above their pay grade or you messed up and used too many energy drains, we've all been there).

This applies across the other healers, too, although regen/aspected benefic are much more usable. WHM in dungeons should really be using Tetra, Assize, etc along with regens to keep people up, and you spend your GCDs on damage spells, and AST is the same but essential dignity and aspected benefic instead. It's a just an adjustment to your way of thinking to make healing make a lot more sense later on. You don't save cooldowns, you plan them out and maximize using them. In any given dungeon if all of your cooldowns are up during a pull you're making it much harder for yourself. If you want to try out savage content, you and your cohealer will work out which of you will use which cooldowns where to maximize both of your dps uptimes. If you've been doing that all along, you'll fall right into it easy peasy.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Trasson posted:

Missing Pages would fit perfectly, I think.

this is good

GentlemanGiant posted:

I vote for "The Mushroomery"

poo poo this is also good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm about to hit 70 and finish the msq.

What's the best/easiest/fastest way to gear up for plowing all the 4.x content afterwards?

I'll try to get through all the raids trials and dungeons (and Eureka?) over the next month, but I won't be aiming for any ultra hard mode stuff.

Basically just want to see and experience All the Things before Shadowbringers hits.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

victrix posted:

What's the best/easiest/fastest way to gear up for plowing all the 4.x content afterwards?

I'll try to get through all the raids trials and dungeons (and Eureka?) over the next month, but I won't be aiming for any ultra hard mode stuff.

Basically just want to see and experience All the Things before Shadowbringers hits.

Hunts will get you gear high enough to get into the Ivalice raids and you can spam those to get i390 gear once you unlock the last one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

victrix posted:

If you're in one of the goon guilds, ask around and someone can probably make you 380 gear for free/cheap. That'll get you access into everything short of, like, Alphascape Savage content.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frabba posted:

I'm the weirdo who has enjoyed MCH leveling up through 61 so far. It's going to be real fun when I unlock heated shots in a few levels :v:.
The period when you've unlocked heated shots and before you get Flamethrower is legit a fun period for the class. I'll probably pick it back up if the changes are good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FactsAreUseless posted:

The period when you've unlocked heated shots and before you get Flamethrower is legit a fun period for the class. I'll probably pick it back up if the changes are good.

That's where I am right now and I'm loving it. It's just really weird getting the timing down on how to overheat correctly. Everything in this game seems to have a weird delay when I wanna hit multiple buttons quickly, is there some sort of animation lock or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Heated shots are the best. All of them look so cool and ridiculous.
"Your bullets are very warm now. This causes laser robots and missiles."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

S.J. posted:

That's where I am right now and I'm loving it. It's just really weird getting the timing down on how to overheat correctly. Everything in this game seems to have a weird delay when I wanna hit multiple buttons quickly, is there some sort of animation lock or something?
There is an animation lock, and don't worry about overheat. If you drop wildfire at high heat (after first using Rapid Fire and Reassemble), you can go Clean, Ricochet, Slug, Clean, Cooldown, possible second Cooldown if you got your timings realllll tight. Your goal during Wildfire is to maximize the potency you use during it, and having some heat for Cooldown means not having to go back and fish for procs on Split. Otherwise, Cooldown and Barrel Stabilizer should keep you between 50-95 in most fights, and that's a big damage increase.

If you do overheat and didn't time it perfectly with Wildfire (which is an exercise in frustration without Flamethrower), you can spam Cooldown the whole time for decent damage, since Cooldown gets its high-heat bonus if you're overheating. Once you get Flamethrower you can, hypothetically, time your Wildfire with Overheat, but I found FT intensely irritating so I switched classes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Vermain posted:

You're also at the game's second big hump for healers. Bardam's is a pain for most healers, and it absolutely loving sucks for SCH: you have no AoE stuns to slow down incoming damage like AST and WHM do, nor do you have their raw throughput options at that level. Ensuring Eos is manually controlled and using Aetherflow wisely will definitely help, but Bardam's will always make you feel like you're running on fumes.

Honestly I'd like to run Summoner more to level them both, but those DPS queues are murder, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is an animation lock, and don't worry about overheat. If you drop wildfire at high heat (after first using Rapid Fire and Reassemble), you can go Clean, Ricochet, Slug, Clean, Cooldown, possible second Cooldown if you got your timings realllll tight. Your goal during Wildfire is to maximize the potency you use during it, and having some heat for Cooldown means not having to go back and fish for procs on Split. Otherwise, Cooldown and Barrel Stabilizer should keep you between 50-95 in most fights, and that's a big damage increase.

If you do overheat and didn't time it perfectly with Wildfire (which is an exercise in frustration without Flamethrower), you can spam Cooldown the whole time for decent damage, since Cooldown gets its high-heat bonus if you're overheating. Once you get Flamethrower you can, hypothetically, time your Wildfire with Overheat, but I found FT intensely irritating so I switched classes.

Cool, this is mostly what I've been doing it's just frustrating some part of my brain not having wildfire and overheat line up 100% on my rotation. Now that I've got Barrel Stabilizer the post-overheat part of my rotation is so much better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

S.J. posted:

It's a combination of animation lock and latency. Each action in the game has an animation that cannot be interrupted (with a minimum time of 0.7s, or 1.2s for consumables like potions), and a period of latency for the overwhelming majority of actions (since the game doesn't have enough clientside protection to discourage packet spoofing). If your latency is good (around sub-70ms ping without much packet loss), you can fit in two off-GCD actions between each GCD; if it's bad, you can only fit in one. The rotation and opener for MCH changes depending on whether you've got good or bad latency, so it's worthwhile to do some tests with ACT or Stone, Sea, Sky using both openers/rotations to determine which is better if you don't know your connection quality offhand.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A Sometimes Food posted:

I finally got a pc copy cause I had a small windfall and well now I can share glams.

Kinda doing a gold theme. Still working on getting that tank chest upgraded to dye it.

Which DRK sword is that?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Wacky Delly posted:

Which DRK sword is that?

Thordan.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

rantmo posted:

Another newbie leveling question: I've got my main job in the low 40's and I'm leveling along at a good clip with the duty roulette and just running through ARR stuff but my tank classes, for example, are both at level 11 and so I can't start Dutying them up. What's the best way to push them to 15? Hunting logs and FATEs as I run by them or is there another trick for it?

Throw in guildhests and random low level sidequests. Honestly even grinding mobs gives decent XP at such low levels. (The galaxy brain strat is to find the highest level mobs your main job can one-shot and use the job-switching trick.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The amount you can store in the glamour dresser will be doubled from the original 200 to 400, and the number of glamour plates available will also be increased. These updates will come with the launch of Shadowbringers, but we will continue to update the glamour systems in the future as well!

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019/5/8/18537438/final-fantasy-14-interview-naoki-yoshida-glamour-expansion

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

The amount you can store in the glamour dresser will be doubled from the original 200 to 400, and the number of glamour plates available will also be increased. These updates will come with the launch of Shadowbringers, but we will continue to update the glamour systems in the future as well!

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019/5/8/18537438/final-fantasy-14-interview-naoki-yoshida-glamour-expansion
Glamours are my favorite part of the game so I'm excited. I'm going to have to get screenshots of all my current glams soon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

What ever happened to Fordola? She ran off to take care of Ifrit and we never saw her again. Is there a chance we might get more of her in the future?

Unfortunately, now is still not the time to talk about Fordola’s future. She is a tragic character who has lived an ill-fated destiny, and made into a Resonant. Eventually, there may come a time to depict what happened to her, but now is not yet the time. However, I don’t think we will ever forget her.

*pounding knife and fork on table* Give me more Fordola!!

Glad to hear about the glamour dresser/plate expansion; I am desperately running out of outfit space.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kaubocks posted:

:thatsrad:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also to kind of expand on this, Healing in FFXIV isn't like healing in wow, where you just spend your time spamming your highest efficiency spell with a couple emergency cooldowns. You're meant to be relying on your highly efficient cooldowns like Indom, Lustrate, Whispering Dawn, etc, and only using your GCD healing when it's needed. Adlo is wicked expensive, and the main reason you'd use it is to prevent a specific instance of lots of damage on the tank or a party member, like a tankbuster or single person bomb, or because it's a BIG pull and your fairy can't keep up with rouse on and you're out of Aetherflow (this situation is usually either the tank is pulling above their pay grade or you messed up and used too many energy drains, we've all been there).

This applies across the other healers, too, although regen/aspected benefic are much more usable. WHM in dungeons should really be using Tetra, Assize, etc along with regens to keep people up, and you spend your GCDs on damage spells, and AST is the same but essential dignity and aspected benefic instead. It's a just an adjustment to your way of thinking to make healing make a lot more sense later on. You don't save cooldowns, you plan them out and maximize using them. In any given dungeon if all of your cooldowns are up during a pull you're making it much harder for yourself. If you want to try out savage content, you and your cohealer will work out which of you will use which cooldowns where to maximize both of your dps uptimes. If you've been doing that all along, you'll fall right into it easy peasy.

I would like to emphasize this: you never want to cast Adlo. Sometimes you'll have to, and you will begrudgingly stop casting Broil to do so, but it should not be your first choice in any situation. Fairy + Lustrate will take you extremely far. Also you don't need to top off the tank: they can safely hover around half HP most of the time.

Also, people sometimes talk about fishing for a crit Adlo to spread with Deployment Tactics before the pull, and while that's very powerful it's never necessary in a leveling dungeon and I personally feel it would be a waste of time/MP.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 8, 2019

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Kaubocks posted:

gently caress leveling, my first day will be spent clearing out my retainers and making new outfits.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Crit Deployed Adlos do make Hello World easier

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One other thing to note about Adlo that's not immediately obvious: because of latency, the actual shield from Adloquium doesn't take effect until about 1.5-2s after the spell actually lands. Lustrate/Excog should be your go-to for emergency healing, with Adlo used to either soak an incoming tankbuster or to provide more leeway for your fairy after the tank's in the clear.

BrightWing posted:

It's definitely worth fishing in situations where there's a high probability of your group taking lethal damage from mechanics without it, but those scenarios are mostly relegated to Savage-level content.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 8, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

BrightWing posted:

someone in here suggested giving sch a free critlo on a cooldown in ShB, and i had to think about how that would make it the most busted healer ever

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vermain posted:

One other thing to note about Adlo that's not immediately obvious: because of latency, the actual shield from Adloiquium doesn't take effect until about a 1.5-2s after the spell actually lands. Lustrate/Excog should be your go-to for emergency healing, with Adlo used to either soak an incoming tankbuster or to provide more leeway for your fairy after the tank's in the clear.

It's definitely worth fishing in situations where there's a high probability of your group taking lethal damage from mechanics without it, but those scenarios are mostly relegated to Savage-level content.

And even beyond that, you can do savage just fine without crit adlos. They're too unpredictable because SCH can't force an adlo crit on, say, a 60 second cooldown, but the very high end groups will sometimes fish for an adlo crit spread to soak a mechanic they normally wouldn't in order to get more LB gauge.

Clarste posted:

I would like to emphasize this: you never want to cast Adlo. Sometimes you'll have to, and you will begrudgingly stop casting Broil to do so, but it should not be your first choice in any situation. Fairy + Lustrate will take you extremely far. Also you don't need to top off the tank: they can safely hover around half HP most of the time.

Also, people sometimes talk about fishing for a crit Adlo to spread with Deployment Tactics before the pull, and while that's very powerful it's never necessary in a leveling dungeon and I personally feel it would be a waste of time/MP.

In any given dungeon, a spread critlo on a boss fight is less than worthless. Very few of them will do damage to anyone not the tank in the first 30 seconds. If I adlo a tank and happen to get a crit in a dungeon, that's when I'll spread it. It's not very often, and the only real exception I can think of is cheesing rathalos, but gently caress that fight anyway. Hell, even in savage content there are fights where your opener doesn't even include succor because there's no point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 8, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

somepartsareme posted:

someone in here suggested giving sch a free critlo on a cooldown in ShB, and i had to think about how that would make it the most busted healer ever

If it was on a Bene length cooldown or longer even, it might be alright. Would probably make SCH pratically required for everything going forward though.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

[youtube - my longest yeah boi ever]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Don't you have to be 15 to queue for potd? And even then, is soloing 1-10 potd worth it over fates and the hunt log?
No, you can queue for it at level 1 after it's unlocked. Don't solo, do matched parties, full clear up to floor 50 if you haven't already and then farm 51-60. ARR FATEs are rear end, and hunting log exp is good but takes more time than potd

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Kaubocks posted:

gently caress yes.

I'm a little bummed about this quote though!

Yoshi-P posted:

"Unfortunately, now is still not the time to talk about Fordola’s future. She is a tragic character who has lived an ill-fated destiny, and made into a Resonant. Eventually, there may come a time to depict what happened to her, but now is not yet the time. However, I don’t think we will ever forget her."

...makes me wonder if the short stories are non-canon or what. I'm an idiot who can't read the interviewer's questions. They totally acknowledge the Ifrit thing.

e: gently caress it. Summer is almost here. Summertime glam post.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 9, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maximum Fashion Toileting

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Shellman posted:

gently caress yes.

...makes me wonder if the short stories are non-canon or what.

Not enough cute midlanders itt, kudos to you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shellman posted:

I think it's just translated Japanese developer lingo for, "She may be in future content, but not in 5.0," which is fair. Given what we know about ShB now, she'd probably be a poor fit for its narrative arc. You might see something closer to the tail end of ShB's life, given that there's still the whole albatross of 4.5 hanging heavy that they'll have to address in future patches.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This game has no problem bringing up some minor character from ten patches ago and make them central stage in the latest story arc. I'm sure she'll show up eventually.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Vermain posted:

I think it's just translated Japanese developer lingo for, "She may be in future content, but not in 5.0," which is fair. Given what we know about ShB now, she'd probably be a poor fit for its narrative arc. You might see something closer to the tail end of ShB's life, given that there's still the whole albatross of 4.5 hanging heavy that they'll have to address in future patches.

I was mostly just hoping with the Scions completely hosed by 'throw-wide-the-gates-catboy' that she'd take a more prominent role in holding the line in Eorzea while we're gone (and that maybe we'd hear a tease--still hopeful this is the direction they go). I'm not worried that she's going to be disappeared or anything. Her and Yotsuyu were really two sides of the same coin in Stormblood, and I'm eager to see more of her story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shellman posted:

gently caress yes.

That top doesn't dye does it?