Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Fine, I'll leave the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Dummy, no one’s telling you to leave.

If someone asked the exact same question about working in the US, what would you tell them?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fine, I'll leave the thread.

I’m asking you if you’re sincere since I’ve seen you posting in cspam and whatnot and trying to reconcile the questions you’ve been posing in here.

I genuinely do not know if you’re doing a bit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Dummy, no one’s telling you to leave.

If someone asked the exact same question about working in the US, what would you tell them?

Fine. I'll post my background stuff.

Education: Bachelor's in Psychology

Work Experience: Currently I work as an office manager in which I basically work the front desk, do mail, light IT stuff, and just random crap around the office. Previously I verified insurance benefits. So my background is in data entry, office work, and light IT stuff.

Location: I'd probably move to Tokyo since that seems to be the most "significant" place in Japan, but I'd be open minded to move elsewhere.

Better?

Phone posted:

I’m asking you if you’re sincere since I’ve seen you posting in cspam and whatnot and trying to reconcile the questions you’ve been posing in here.

I genuinely do not know if you’re doing a bit.

When I'm joking everyone thinks I'm serious, when I'm being serious everyone thinks I'm joking.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You'd be teaching English making 30k a year. Ish.

Put it another way, tell me your best answer to the question: "What can you offer me/my company that I cannot get by hiring a Japanese person? Do the things you offer offset or exceed the difficulties I may experience by hiring someone who doesn't speak Japanese?"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, seriously. You also seem very obsessed with the idea of moving to Japan and seem to have really built it up in your head too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, seriously. You also seem very obsessed with the idea of moving to Japan and seem to have really built it up in your head too.

:ironicat:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Holy poo poo

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Roles like that do exist in Japan but they're actually quite competitive and usually limited to:
-women (the more attractive the better)
-native Japanese speakers (you'll likely be the first point of contact for any visiting clients/executives/etc)
-holders of multiple office management certifications

Unless you have other skills you have not told us about, you may need to start from scratch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shut up :saddowns:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I will but at this point I'm going to be lucky just to find any shochu, a selection seems like a distant dream. There's a huge Japanese supermarket in a nearby city but I haven't had the chance to drive all the way over there and check it out yet. It is my final hope.

I can at least get some pretty good sake locally.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Here's a random question: my partner is really into sewing, would a good spot to look for nice fabrics and such just be the large department stores by major train stains? My googling has shown two cool looking spots a bit North of Ueno, where we're going today, but didn't know if there's a neighbourhood that's better for looking. Thanks!

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I moved to Japan, what kind of job would I likely be working and how much money would I likely make?

Can you speak Japanese?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Johnny Truant posted:

Here's a random question: my partner is really into sewing, would a good spot to look for nice fabrics and such just be the large department stores by major train stains? My googling has shown two cool looking spots a bit North of Ueno, where we're going today, but didn't know if there's a neighbourhood that's better for looking. Thanks!

Nippori is where you want to go and is, indeed, just a bit north of Ueno.

Someone (I'm not sure of her forum name anymore or if she still posts here?) made a post about this exact topic but I can't find it. Maybe someone else remembers/can find it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Higashi-nakano ginza-dori is really cute. I'm staying two seconds from this bad boy and now I'm obsessed with little shopping street areas. I'm just going to start walking around random shopping streets in the general Shinjuku area that aren't piss alley or golden gai.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

Roles like that do exist in Japan but they're actually quite competitive and usually limited to:
-women (the more attractive the better)
-native Japanese speakers (you'll likely be the first point of contact for any visiting clients/executives/etc)
-holders of multiple office management certifications

Unless you have other skills you have not told us about, you may need to start from scratch.

I see, thanks.

Johnny Truant posted:

Can you speak Japanese?

I can learn.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see, thanks.

I can learn.

Answer my question because if you can't give a satisfactory answer on an anonymous internet forum where you are free to make yourself look as good as possible without outright lying then it's not going to happen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
ANSWER MY QUESTION BRO, COME ON JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanese is the language farthest and most different from English -- for example, when the US is training its diplomats to work overseas, the training course period for Japanese is the longest (along with Chinese).

To add more context: If you move to Japan, you'd likely be teaching English. You could come to Tokyo or Osaka, and have to compete with tons of other people (some of whom already have studied Japanese a great deal) and get worse wages and higher cost of living, or you could also get dispatched to other smaller cities or even small towns, where you'll likely get paid the same but be the one foreigner in town. Plus because it's not Tokyo many people from the outside see that and go ":mad:"

"But I have a degree in..."

A college degree is required to get any kind of work visa in Japan, with the exception of "being married to a Japanese person." And if you can't speak Japanese fluently right now, you have to get very lucky to find a place willing to take you -- with no experience living in Japan and no language ability -- when there are more people with both language and country experience.

If you're dead set on coming to Japan, look at teaching positions. There was a whole "JET/Teaching in Japan" thread that's gone dormant but covered a lot of this and provided people's experiences, from applications to "oh god I'm the only white guy in a town of 10,000 people."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

harperdc posted:

"oh god I'm the only white guy in a town of 10,000 people."

this sounds great to me, tbh

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Japanese is the language farthest and most different from English -- for example, when the US is training its diplomats to work overseas, the training course period for Japanese is the longest (along with Chinese).

Having done the Chinese one, though, the guy's not wrong. You can learn and it's not as hard as people think. It just takes time. Don't get discouraged!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

harperdc posted:

To add more context: If you move to Japan, you'd likely be teaching English. You could come to Tokyo or Osaka, and have to compete with tons of other people (some of whom already have studied Japanese a great deal) and get worse wages and higher cost of living, or you could also get dispatched to other smaller cities or even small towns, where you'll likely get paid the same but be the one foreigner in town. Plus because it's not Tokyo many people from the outside see that and go ":mad:"

"But I have a degree in..."

A college degree is required to get any kind of work visa in Japan, with the exception of "being married to a Japanese person." And if you can't speak Japanese fluently right now, you have to get very lucky to find a place willing to take you -- with no experience living in Japan and no language ability -- when there are more people with both language and country experience.

If you're dead set on coming to Japan, look at teaching positions. There was a whole "JET/Teaching in Japan" thread that's gone dormant but covered a lot of this and provided people's experiences, from applications to "oh god I'm the only white guy in a town of 10,000 people."

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll skip Japan and go to the closest thing in America.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Nippori is where you want to go and is, indeed, just a bit north of Ueno.

Someone (I'm not sure of her forum name anymore or if she still posts here?) made a post about this exact topic but I can't find it. Maybe someone else remembers/can find it?

Excellent, than you!

Martytoof posted:

Higashi-nakano ginza-dori is really cute. I'm staying two seconds from this bad boy and now I'm obsessed with little shopping street areas. I'm just going to start walking around random shopping streets in the general Shinjuku area that aren't piss alley or golden gai.

Hell yeah, gonna add this to our Shinjuku day itinerary.

lmfao

So you fetishize Japan to try to fill a weird hole you yourself have created in your life by watching anime and playing Street Fighter, try to talk the talk about moving here and haven't even started learning the language, k.

I'm still serious about :therapy:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there some big secret to finding affordable flights to Japan? Tickets were under $800 yesterday and are over $1000 today. Is there a better day/time/site/something to find flights that will leave me more cash to spend when I actually land?

Use incognito mode. Many airlines sites use cookies and manipulate your emotions by raising prices gradually.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I moved to Japan, what kind of job would I likely be working and how much money would I likely make?

lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

LimburgLimbo posted:

ANSWER MY QUESTION BRO, COME ON JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION

Look, it's a serious question that any serious job seeker should be able to answer honestly. If he doesn't want to (or can't) answer that then it should be a huge warning that things will not end up well.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

So you fetishize Japan to try to fill a weird hole you yourself have created in your life by watching anime and playing Street Fighter

I sometimes wonder if the best thing a person can express in the JET interviews is "I think Japan is interesting but I don't think it will fix my life, fill my feelings of disatisfaction, or lead to anything other than some interesting stories I can tell in a few years"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

captkirk posted:

I sometimes wonder if the best thing a person can express in the JET interviews is "I think Japan is interesting but I don't think it will fix my life, fill my feelings of dissatisfaction, or lead to anything other than some interesting stories I can tell in a few years"

well now i know what i did wrong all those years ago

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fine. I'll post my background stuff.

When I'm joking everyone thinks I'm serious, when I'm being serious everyone thinks I'm joking.

Joke or not joke, whether it’s traveling to Cambodia or Japan

You don’t seem to have much going on in your head.

Actually you might be super smart but are you on the spectrum or have trouble interacting with people?

caberham fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 9, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have been learning Japanese for the past two years and while I can speak enough to get my point across, it inevitably invites a response in Japanese which turns out to be like five levels above my current ability and mostly incomprehensibly mumbled at 900 words per minute.

Invariably its been easier to just sheepishly grin and act every part the tourist I am when I say “sorry I don’t speak Japanese wa ka ri ma sen!” slowly, but I’m trying very hard to break myself of that fallback by just trying harder.

Being here is glorious, but it quickly breaks me of my “i want to live in japan” fantasy once I realize I would experience daily frustration trying to communicate.

E: the checkout dude at my downstairs airbnb did help me out by showing me how to order fried chicken at 1am so that was pretty rad

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 9, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I have been learning Japanese for the past two years and while I can speak enough to get my point across, it inevitably invites a response in Japanese which turns out to be like five levels above my current ability and mostly incomprehensibly mumbled at 900 words per minute.

Invariably its been easier to just sheepishly grin and act every part the tourist I am when I say “sorry I don’t speak Japanese wa ka ri ma sen!” slowly, but I’m trying very hard to break myself of that fallback by just trying harder.

Being here is glorious, but it quickly breaks me of my “i want to live in japan” fantasy once I realize I would experience daily frustration trying to communicate.

Maybe you should git gud?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Martytoof posted:

Who needs to communicate daily? Not communicating is underrated.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

prompt posted:

That's literally why I like traveling to Asia for work and spending time there. Don't need to chit chat and everyone gives you miles of leeway to do what you want without their ridiculous cultural expectations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Martytoof posted:

E: the checkout dude at my downstairs airbnb did help me out by showing me how to order fried chicken at 1am so that was pretty rad

you get better fast if you use it every day and push yourself

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

You communicate a lot, you just do it with Hub sexpats and gaijin hunters obvs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shammypants posted:

That's literally why I like traveling to Asia for work and spending time there. Don't need to chit chat and everyone gives you miles of leeway to do what you want without their ridiculous cultural expectations.

Yeah having an instant excuse to not communicate with people is great. I miss it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shammypants posted:

If you want to feel alienated just move to a big bustling city with decent public transportation. There’s no need for a foreigner pass

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the response. Guess I'll skip Japan and go to the closest thing in America.

Goons are obviously the best source of life advice and you can never go wrong listening to random internet strangers telling you how to run your life rather than just deciding for yourself.

Also curious as to what the closest thing in America is.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LyonsLions posted:

Goons are obviously the best source of life advice and you can never go wrong listening to random internet strangers telling you how to run your life rather than just deciding for yourself.

Also curious as to what the closest thing in America is.

probably alaska i think? maybe hawaii, i'm too lazy to actually check on a globe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

caberham posted:

If you want to feel alienated just move to a big bustling city with decent public transportation. There’s no need for a foreigner pass

I live in one of the biggest, and there is too much talking let me tell you how.