Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think I might have some weirdo settings enabled as the Soviets on turn 2 just murdered me. Scenario must have been updated at some point. :iiam:

Same. Basically split my forces and pocketed both split pieces in a single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ha, to quote myself from the last thread:

Squiggle posted:

My first attempt to follow along, the Soviets kicked the absolute poo poo out of me on turn 1 and I couldn't recover. THATS WAR BABY

And, also, to quote myself again because I found them SO much better than the included rings:

Squiggle posted:

Well I can't post this to the Matrix forums because of their dumb restriction on links for new accounts, so:

If you're playing TOAW IV and, like me, have trouble making out the steel rings that highlight other units in the selected unit's formation, I made them green and not stupid:

Grab them from here and extract the .png's into Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override and go nuts.

EDIT:

Color blind? Prefer the cold, unloving touch of neutral colors? TRY WHITE-ISH:

Grab the white rings here

(they might go somewhere else in the Steam version? not sure)

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 7, 2019

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Did that law actually get changed in Germany? Seems like that would have been a rough sell to push through most political bodies.

It didn't. Swastikas were always legal to use in art and for educational purposes, the German ratings agency just declared that it wouldn't rate any games with swastikas (or other Nazi-adjacent symbols such as the SS lightning rune) in it. Without an age rating no retailer in Germany would touch it. More recently the ratings agency decided that it would not refuse to rate such games out of hand but would decide whether or not the Swastika was included with artistic intent.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well that seems fair.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Practically speaking it's still safer to just not include them rather than risk not being rated though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
BTW we might close the old thread.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh Uboat or Wolfpack or both?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Probably neither yet.

I sucumed to wolfpack temptation last night and between the jank, performance issues and bizarre design decisions I couldn't finish the first tutorial. Save your money.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
RTW2 was delayed because Christopher Dean couldn't finish the store in time due to needing to care for his sick wife. Dean happens to also be the sole person responsible for mailing you your APS(which I finally discovered stands for Anti Piracy System instead of anything meaningful) key, which he still insists is easier for the end user than using STEAM[sic], which is known to cause "complications" according to him.

So yes, you could say my hype for rtw2 is dead.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Popete posted:

This is rich, coming from the devs too SCARED to put historically accurate swatiskas in their game.

I don’t give a poo poo if they do not want to use Steam. Fine, whatever. The business practices I object to, other being complete assholes, are things like charging $10 for a loving patch.

Darkrenown posted:

Practically speaking it's still safer to just not include them rather than risk not being rated though.

Having worked in the industry before these sorts of art assets are easy to switch and replace, so you (grog developer) might as well submit with the swastika. Worst case scenario you get rejected, and then swap out the assets.

Honestly though, again as a former video game developer, the most irritating thing about Germany and Australia art wise was the need to make all the depictions of blood in games green rather than red.

Edit

Is there any news about War In The East 2? Seems like I haven’t heard much about it lately.

Double Edit

Asehujiko posted:

RTW2 was delayed because Christopher Dean couldn't finish the store in time due to needing to care for his sick wife. Dean happens to also be the sole person responsible for mailing you your APS(which I finally discovered stands for Anti Piracy System instead of anything meaningful) key, which he still insists is easier for the end user than using STEAM[sic], which is known to cause "complications" according to him.

So yes, you could say my hype for rtw2 is dead.

I am so confused. The RTW2 release date is still posted as May 17th.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 8, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In other news, Panzer Corps 2 got a reveal yesterday, Steam Page included, and is set to release this year.

Devs did a video on it, not sure how I feel about the move to fancy 3D models and there's at least one new interesting mechanic (regarding splitting a unit), and hopefully they retain what made the first game so amazing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ZombieLenin posted:

Double Edit

I am so confused. The RTW2 release date is still posted as May 17th.

It was supposed to release 2 weeks ago.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't worry everyone, you can have absolute faith in the reliability and security of our human based anti-piracy program.

Also no keys will be issued until further notice because the human in question has to take sick leave.

I just want to scream at them that the issue isn't piracy, it's that I'm not going to give money to a company that so obviously has zero business resilience.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like something a pirate would say to me.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Is there any news about War In The East 2? Seems like I haven’t heard much about it lately.

It's still in the works. No idea on timeframe though. I'm in the beta and it's progressing well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Matrix/Slitherine has announced a new WWII game in development called "WarPlan"

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=806

It looks like it's an engine ala TOAW which will allow for scenario creation on a grand strat level...I think?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ZombieLenin posted:

Having worked in the industry before these sorts of art assets are easy to switch and replace, so you (grog developer) might as well submit with the swastika. Worst case scenario you get rejected, and then swap out the assets.

I also work in the industry and was speaking from our (PDS's) PoV. Speaking abstractly it should be simple enough to colour swap the blood too, but in war even the simplest things can be very difficult :shrug:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Darkrenown posted:

I also work in the industry and was speaking from our (PDS's) PoV. Speaking abstractly it should be simple enough to colour swap the blood too, but in war even the simplest things can be very difficult :shrug:

It isn’t. You are right. I am just speaking from an artistic perspective. I was way cooler with not using swastikas than I was period games where representations of soldiers bled green...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm also part of the industry and boy are my arms tired!!!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Dandywalken posted:

I'm also part of the industry and boy are my arms tired!!!

This is exactly why I stopped making video games for a living!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

Probably neither yet.

I sucumed to wolfpack temptation last night and between the jank, performance issues and bizarre design decisions I couldn't finish the first tutorial. Save your money.

Wolfpack seems like it would be fun if you have friends to play it with.

For Uboat the management sim quality to it seems really neat and the devs do at least seem to work on it full time and with quick turnaround on updates.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
poo poo wait I meant uboat. Wolfpack is probably cool but like you say really needs friends.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

You guys really like Clausewitz.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

poo poo wait I meant uboat. Wolfpack is probably cool but like you say really needs friends.

Wolfpack is pretty fun with friends, especially when you have a lot of friends so you can do multiple uboats coordination. However, the content right now is quite light, and updates are coming at a very slow pace. I'd say keep an eye on it for now.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Yooper posted:

It's still in the works. No idea on timeframe though. I'm in the beta and it's progressing well.

Is WitE 2 an updated version of WitE but with WitW's supply and air power system added to it, or is there more?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

Is WitE 2 an updated version of WitE but with WitW's supply and air power system added to it, or is there more?

I'm pretty sure it's going to at least use the WITW map, because that was the entire point of making a map and writing a weather system that covered an area well beyond what you would need just for the Western Front.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Shame the witw map is butt-ugly. It's a map game, make a nice map ffs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uPen posted:

Shame the witw map is butt-ugly. It's a map game, make a nice map ffs.

For some reason I swear Decisive Campaigns is the only map that is both easy on the eyes and uses text and “game pieces” that are easy to read.

Also I swear it’s the only one with decent oob and finding units.

Oh can anyone recommend a good Silent Hunter 4 tutorial YouTube series.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's going to at least use the WITW map, because that was the entire point of making a map and writing a weather system that covered an area well beyond what you would need just for the Western Front.

Will this be the full Euro map they talked about some years ago on the Matrix forums?

Their long-term goal being to have one big map from France to the Urals.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

Will this be the full Euro map they talked about some years ago on the Matrix forums?

Their long-term goal being to have one big map from France to the Urals.

The full euro map already exists in WITW - it's just locked to only show the pertinent parts. Presumably WITE 2 would do a similar thing.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cool, the new Armored Brigade DLC is out. Can someone please whip up a campaign for it now TIA.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 10, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh good lord I have a 9 year Matrix/Slytherine voucher, what is worth it these days.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Speaking of Slytherine....

Flashback to 1994 - is my memory bad or did the original Panzer General from 94 have a synergy between armor and infantry which the Slytherine remake does not have?

Namely, infantry parked next to armor protected armor from Close Assault attacks, which was a special infantry attack stat, that got used when attacking armor in rugged terrain like cities or forests.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 10, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

New dev diary on Unity of Command 2.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/809230/announcements/detail/1618392861327357479

gently caress that looks nice.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
That map looks awesome

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I am super excited about RTW2, but...

Please gods, I know grog devs read here, could someone please remake Fighting Steel, preferably with a campaign a la the NWS Fighting Steel Project?

Pretty please? I would legit pay super grog prices for it. Like $200 without a single hesitation.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Today I found out that seeing Italy not properly rotated slightly unnerves me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out it even was Italy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm lying, it really unnerves me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm lying, it really unnerves me.

It looks as if the boot was trying to kick little Sicily away.