Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Phenomena is loving amazing and, for my money, one of Argento's top three.

I like off-the-rails Argento a lot better than workmanlike Argento. It's like the more coke he was doing, the better the movie came out.

I do appreciate the weirdness and I did like it, it just didn't fully click with me this time in the same way that Suspiria or Deep Red or Tenebrae did when I first saw them. It's possible I'll like it better on a rewatch, now that I know what to expect. I'll give it another shot at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Full Moon High(Prime)

From what I've seen(only four films so far), there is a charm to everything Larry Cohen touched that is infectious. Full Moon High is a parody, but pretty drat good one and yet again Cohen takes material that could be complete trash in the hands of someone more pessimistic and makes something with real heart to it.

Not every joke lands, a lot of the dialogue is stilted, but the ride was consistently fun and never boring. I think my favorite aspect of this movie is that it actually takes the "you are cursed by the wolf to live forever" thing and runs with it. The main character walks the Earth for a few decades, then returns to his hometown and blends in by pretending to be his own son. I was surprised by how much the movie went for the full Larry Talbot approach, another example of how Cohen's love for genre film shows through.

If you go into this expecting The Stuff or Q, you may be disappointed. Full Moon High is a much less sophisticated effort but a lot more fun than it has any right to be.

Watched: 1. Evil Bong 2. Let's Scare Jessica to Death 3. Mom and Dad 4. Train to Busan 5. Full Moon High

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 8, 2019

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Didn't see this thread. I'll do 15.

1. The Intruder (in theaters now!)
A fun Hollywood spin on the evil friend/neighbor Lifetime Movie trope. Nothing amazing but Dennis Quaid puts in a hell of an effort as a creep. C

2. Monster Party (Shudder)
Thieves pick the wrong dinner party to try and rob. I love home invasion gone wrong but this one sucks. There's an unpleasant orange tint to everything and the story always feels like it's getting closer to a better movie but turns away at every chance. There is also a suspicious amount of gore and slashing just off screen as if they wanted a PG-13 edit or in-motion special effects were too hard. D

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like giallo are an acquired taste. I bounced off my first attempts at the genre, but now I'm craving way more theatricality while I'm binging slashers. Some kills comes close, but onlt Cult of Chucky consistently captured that melding of bold directing with raw murderous brutality.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
3. The Innocents (1961) - Since I didn't enjoy the last film I watched for the challenge I decided to lick something I hadn't seen but knew would be good and this didn't disappoint.

It was incredible. The outdoor views of the mansion and its grounds were stunning. The sound design created a incredibly haunting atmosphere that kept me hooked in.

The child actors also did a fantastic job of being eccentric mischievous kids.

The Governess's sexual repression driving her supernatural experiences was a interesting choice and makes the ending especially weird.

A great ghost story. 4/5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

3. The Innocents (1961) - Since I didn't enjoy the last film I watched for the challenge I decided to lick something I hadn't seen but knew would be good and this didn't disappoint.

It was incredible. The outdoor views of the mansion and its grounds were stunning. The sound design created a incredibly haunting atmosphere that kept me hooked in.

The child actors also did a fantastic job of being eccentric mischievous kids.

The Governess's sexual repression driving her supernatural experiences was a interesting choice and makes the ending especially weird.

A great ghost story. 4/5

This movie is mind-blowingly good and I'm shocked it's not ranked higher on most horror lists. It's one of the best ghost/haunted house movies ever made.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That poor turtle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

This movie is mind-blowingly good and I'm shocked it's not ranked higher on most horror lists. It's one of the best ghost/haunted house movies ever made.

I wonder if it has to do with it's unavailability on streaming services. It's not available on Prime Video, even as a paid rental. I've been meaning to track it down for a few years. I wonder if it ever pops up on youtube.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's pretty well-acclaimed, I'd say. #26 on the Zombies list, #30 on the one Franchescanado posted, and one of the few horror films to make They Shoot Pictures (at a respectable #390). Not at the very top, but then those spots tend to be reserved for the most influential/well-known titles.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if it has to do with it's unavailability on streaming services. It's not available on Prime Video, even as a paid rental. I've been meaning to track it down for a few years. I wonder if it ever pops up on youtube.

It might be on the criterion streaming app if you have that.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah it definitely flew under my radar. I actually decided to watch it thanks to the aggregated horror list you posted.

I watched it on Monday and I'm still thinking of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure I watched it on FilmStruck. However, it is not on Criterion Channel, sadly.

I may have also watched it on a Plex shared by a fellow goon, but I’m not sure.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

3. Bloody Birthday (1981)
Shudder

Bloody Birthday feels like a mash-up of The Bad Seed and an early slasher film. This time there are three killer kids: the sweet, manipulative girl (basically a less rational Rhoda Penmark), the smart one (you can tell because he has glasses), and the barely characterized one who helps with group kills.

This movie is a mess, but at least it jumps in the deep end quickly enough that it’s an entertaining mess. I wish it wasn’t so unbalanced though. A better, more dramatic script could have given the children’s violent impulses some consistency and focused on their own families. Or the filmmakers could have kept the neighbors as the leads and gone with more slasher-style set pieces, including a darker version of the birthday party scene. What we got instead was watchable but not especially memorable, especially considering how many better movies have explored similar territory.

It has some fun moments despite the less-than-successful genre mix, so I’d recommend it for fans of killer kid movies or oddball early ‘80s stuff.

Watched: 1. Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) 2. The Other (1972) 3. Bloody Birthday (1981)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

gey muckle mowser posted:

7. Phenomena (1985)

The plot doesn't really make a lot of sense, but the weirdness makes up for that I think.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Phenomena is loving amazing and, for my money, one of Argento's top three.

I like off-the-rails Argento a lot better than workmanlike Argento. It's like the more coke he was doing, the better the movie came out.

Phenomena is my favorite Argento and one of my favorite Italian movies period. It's the right amount of raw crazy. Also, Donald Pleasence was a very huggable man, I want him to tell my family stories as we gather around the fireplace on a cold winter night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Weirdly I know I watched it on Youtube in October but I can't find an english version there now.

It is indeed a great film that should be considered a classic.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Was on a mini-vacation to go see my new nephew, so playing catch-up here now.

#2. The Frighteners (Starz) - :ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Frank Bannister is a man who can talk to ghosts, which he uses to run low-end "paranormal investigator" cons on people. Unfortunately, he stumbles onto a real case, as a mysterious ghost is going around killing people. Can Frank save the day? And what does this have to do with his mysterious past, and the incident that gave him his powers?

This is a decent film - decently put together, decently acted, decently paced. I don't have any super negative complaints about it, but there are definitely things that are working against it.

This is the last of director Peter Jackson's lower budget entries from before he went off and put together his whole Lord of the Rings trilogy. So this is the last film that feels like an "authentic" Peter Jackson film, from before that came to mean "bloated, plodding and overly self-indulgent." The film is snappy, and there's a particular early Jackson tone of light-hearted mean-spiritedness that permeates the proceedings. That said, while it can feel like a spiritual remake of Jackson's earlier Dead Alive, in a way, the increased budget feels like it's strangling the creativity under an increased reliance on CGI.

It also feels like the film has a thousand ideas of places to go and see, and wants to stick them all in, so the whole thing feels incredibly rushed in places and that ideas never get fully explored - the seeds of some of the bad decision making that went into stuff like King Kong 2005 seem to be getting planted here.

Lastly, I feel like the film ends up in a weird place because of Michael J. Fox being the central protagonist. Mind you, Fox is good, he definitely is operating on Jackson's wavelength and he helps keep the film light and breezy. But therein lies the rub - on paper, Frank Bannister should be smaller, less broad, more scuzzy and more burdened by his past (considering he lives in a house that isn't getting built with a garden shrine to his dead wife). He's a man who can't move on, a man living in the shadow of his failures, and neither the film nor Fox seem capable of going there. I feel like not playing into that character as written ends up undercutting the movie when it wants to get dramatic, keeps Bannister's good guy turn from feeling nuanced or impactful. I don't know if that's a knock against Fox not wanting to play drastically off-type, or a side-effect of Jackson's directorial style robbing the material of potential nuance.

Watched so far: The Sacrament, The Frighteners

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Finally, a good movie! Return of the Living Dead is good! The jokes are funny, the zombie effects are fantastic, the characters are given distinct personalities, the locations are used really well, it does everything right. After 6 movies that ranged from really bad to majorly flawed this May Horror Challenge is finally paying off.

The opening scene was really clever, it was a totally mundane scene of a guy getting shown around his new workplace but it established the black humor and the blase attitude towards death and body parts that the rest of the movie has.

That black zombie from the barrel has to be one of the all time greatest practical effect monsters. It looks amazing.

This actually makes me retroactively remove some points from The Prophecy. One of the best parts of that movie was the horror of being trapped in a dead body, but it turns out Return of the Living Dead did it better a decade before.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

That black zombie from the barrel has to be one of the all time greatest practical effect monsters. It looks amazing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pro av/name material here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Late to the party but I have a strong tween vhs store kid love boner for the Prophecy movies

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Four episodes down on AvEDs3. So far, so good.

1. Dead Birds (2004)
Shudder

Just gonna quote my Letterboxd review: Rated higher than the film deserves but it was worth a watch with solid enough effects, good enough cast, and sets/scenery easy enough on the eyes to overcome the writing and editing enough to warrant a late night viewing with your midnight snack.

No image because I'm on a phone with poor reception and the movie certainly doesn't warrant the effort. Shame as there was a good movie in here, even at its budget, if better polished.

Films: 1. The Old Dark House (1932) B&W, 2. Dead Birds (2004) Color

B&W vs. Color: 1/1

Decades: '30s-1 2000s-1

Countries: Murkin-2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Forget Alien Vs Predator, I wanna see Barrel Zombie from RotLD vs Melting Guy from Robocop

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Late to the party but I have a strong tween vhs store kid love boner for the Prophecy movies

I'd probably be more forgiving if I hadn't watched them all in a row, or never watched the fifth one.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, also - while I was there, we had tried to watch horror movies at different times, but kept getting distracted by the infant in the room. Which is fine, I don't think I missed out on anything super worthwhile, but here are some capsule reviews for stuff I'm not gonna count because I don't think I was able to give them enough attention.

Monster Party (Shudder)

Seemed okay, though maybe a bit too derivative of things like Lights Out in terms of initial setup. I liked the idea of the "family" of rich psycopaths - sort of a high society version of the family from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - but I wasn't paying enough attention to all of the scene-setting to know all of the inter-connected familial relationships, so it never quite gelled in execution for me. Also, I didn't really like "Deus ex mom-ina" ending.

Of the things I watched, this was the one I paid the least attention to. Is this worth going back to at any point?

WolfCop (Shudder via Joe Bob's Last Drive-In)

This seemed cheesy and ridiculous, but it played all of the right notes at the right time. I didn't pay enough attention to get that "Lou Garou" was supposed to be an alcoholic, but I don't know if that would have added anything to the movie or not. Never saw a werewolf sex scene where someone was a werewolf the whole time; now I don't know why movies do it any other way.

Phantasm (Shudder)

I'd seen this one before, so I didn't feel terrible about not giving it all of my attention. To be honest, I never saw what the big deal was with this one. I can appreciate the scrappy, "do-it-yourself charm" origin story, but the end product never seems to be worth it. Everyone is terrible in this; even Angus Scrimm is more of a striking presence than a good acting job - he just needs to stand around and occasionally intone "BOYYYYY" in a deep enough voice, and that's all the script asks of him. The sentinel sphere is cool; being attacked by knockoff Jawas is not. It all adds up to a big nothing for me, and I don't get why this one has managed to hang around in popular consciousness beyond Don Coscarelli's inability to let it go already.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gripweed posted:

I'd probably be more forgiving if I hadn't watched them all in a row, or never watched the fifth one.

there's a fifth one?

I stand firm in my belief the movies begin and end with Walken

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
4.) Suspiria (2018)

2018, first watch, Amazon Prime

I've been reading Ronald Hutton's most recent book, so it was time for some witches.

The original Suspiria is a story about witches set in a dance academy. Suspiria 2018 is a story about witches in a dance academy. The distinction is minute, but important. The "remake" - I hesitate to call it that, more of a remix or (to riff on its themes) successor - makes good use of this part of its setting. The otherworldly here is tangible and embodied - power and violence expressed through bodies, breath, and movement. It'd be tough to top Argento's ethereal festival of creepy color, so fortunately, the "remake" doesn't try to do that. Color is used sparingly and the world of the dance company is decidedly physical (the juxtaposed Susie/Olga scene, for instance, or the go-get-the-mop finale - power in this movie wrenches, seizes, and severs.)

With its long runtime and act structure, this would be equally well-served as a series of shorts or a miniseries - having more time to chew on each act before starting the next one would honestly be fruitful. The weaker elements of the film are those taking us out of the academy - while I don't think the historical setting is a mistake, Josef's parts seem the weakest. I suppose I feel that way because we spend a lot of time on expressive physicality, women, and families - while Josef's plot is about the quiet, solitary grief of a reserved man.

I'd recommend this, and I suspect I'll be rewatching it with my partner before the month ends.

When you dance the dance of another, you make yourself in the image of its creator.

Watched: 1. Jason X 2. Tumbbad* 3. Child's Play 4. Suspiria (2018) [2 first watches, 1 foreign]

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TAG (not the Ed Helms one)

Wow. A live-action Yuri anime, with all the insanity that brings with it. It's a muddled mess and not exactly well-considered, but drat if it isn't a series of truly compelling setpieces, hung together by the loosest of threads. I read a few "what the hell was that?" posts about this movie after I watched it, about how it was about the fight to embrace queerness as a Japanese girl, and I definitely got a little of that vibe, but ultimately it's just hyperviolence playing at being a lot smarter than it ends up being. Harlan Ellison once wrote, in response to a fan asking where they should start their story: "You start with the main character 50 feet underground, in the dark, and then don't tell the reader what's going on" and I can vibe on that, the best stories are the ones where the backstory is hinted at and told in storytelling/set design cues (Fury Road is the undisputed master of this), but TAG ultimately comes up short, by offering nothing for us to hang our emotional hats on before just petering out with a literal Architect-from-The-Matrix ending.

The Finishing Line (short film)

quote:

written and directed by John Krish, the late great filmmaker who was arguably the daddy of all PIFS. Remarkably, this classic of the series actually came from a time when Krish was feeling particularly uncreative, struggling with writer's block. In 2013 and at the grand age of 90, he related the making of The Finishing Line to Fangoria magazine; "I came up with this idea of a sports day on the railway line, and I was absolutely sure they would turn it down so that I could get on with something else, and bugger me, they loved it! The psychologist in the British Transport's employ said, 'this is exactly what we need!'"

quote:

Cuts from a girl in socks and short-pants lying unconscious on the tracks as a train approaches to a blood-red "FINISH" sign, and then to a cackling boy's giddy reaction. This is how the first contest ends, the safest in a series of deadly train games imagined by an impish, capricious young boy daydreaming for a world free of railway safety
"dreaming for a world free of railway safety" is a phrase I never knew I needed in my life.

I feel like, if your British Public Information Film gets you interviewed by FANGORIA they dun goofed greenlighting your educational film. Like, "This issue of Fangoria:"
  • We sit down with Rob Zombie to discuss the impact of his "Murderous Rednecks Trilogy"
  • Tom Savini shows off his new compound-fracture effect used to snap an arm in half
  • Interview: 90-year old British Instructional Film director on his train safety clip for 8th grade health classes!

1. A Serbian Film 2. Beyond the Gates 3.DOOM 4. Zombieland 5. Friday the 13th (2009) 6. TAG 7. The Finishing Line

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 9, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
3. V/H/S (Hulu)

Like most here I love anthologies. The recent discussion of them in the Horror Thread gave me a hankering to watch some I’ve never seen.

The idea behind the framing device (some stumbling upon piles of VHS containing all kinds of wild videos) is really intriguing but unfortunately they preface the good part to include the least likeable fuckers ever. In fact the movie as a whole does an incredible job of making me hate pretty much every young male involved, which I’m certain was intentional (for good reason, there are so many dudes like assholes in this movie).

Moving on to the shorts... I liked the first story. I thought the demon/succubus/monster was designed well and the girl who played her before she made the change was creepy as heck. I’m glad the douche bro actually backed off the passed out girl so he could quickly get his throat ripped out.

The second story was boring with no payoff. The third bit had promise but some things didn’t make sense. The girl says she’s been going camping alone for years, which seems odd, then later tells her friends that her other friends had died there almost immediately. Nobody calls her on it. She also tells the camera man they’re all going to die early on for... reasons? The murders and effects were all decent enough but those lines just took me out of it a bit.

The fourth story was my favorite. The presumed spook a doodles got me a couple of times and the twist at the end was really well done, imo.

The finale was good. All the effects of the possessed house were neat and I really enjoyed the way it ended after they escaped.

Overall 3.5/5

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Finally, a good movie! Return of the Living Dead is good! The jokes are funny, the zombie effects are fantastic, the characters are given distinct personalities, the locations are used really well, it does everything right. After 6 movies that ranged from really bad to majorly flawed this May Horror Challenge is finally paying off.

The opening scene was really clever, it was a totally mundane scene of a guy getting shown around his new workplace but it established the black humor and the blase attitude towards death and body parts that the rest of the movie has.

This actually makes me retroactively remove some points from The Prophecy. One of the best parts of that movie was the horror of being trapped in a dead body, but it turns out Return of the Living Dead did it better a decade before.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead

Hahaha hell yeah, Return's one of my all time top 5, so reading that someone thought it was so awesome that it retroactively made another movie slightly less good made my day.

The Prophecy is really freaking good too, but Return is in a league of its own. I was just talking it up to a coworker who has never seen it today too. I can't wait to lend him my copy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Return of the Living Dead, Linnea Quigley specifically, is why I am a sucker for goth chicks to this day. :drac:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

31) Demonicus - 2001 - AmazonPrime

Possibly a first time watch, it's just that much 'doesn't leave enough of a memory' film. Man gets possessed by a demon gladiator and goes on a killing spree. Average enough. I'm probably not going to rewatch it because I've got other stuff to sit through.

32) Parasite Dolls - 2008 - TubiTV

A woman sent to prison for something minor gets possessed by worry dolls and gets revenge. I was kinda meh with this one. I guess after the other various dolls/heads type films, I'm getting a bit burned out on the subgenre.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'll watch and write up Friday the 13th, Part III, tomorrow, which will put me almost halfway through my commitment of getting through the 8-movie Blu-ray set.

I'll add Freddy vs. Jason as a bonus since I know it's streaming. I just have to take time because gently caress me, too much time looking at a screen, be it my laptop or my phone or my TV, sends me spiraling into hell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

I'll watch and write up Friday the 13th, Part III, tomorrow, which will put me almost halfway through my commitment of getting through the 8-movie Blu-ray set.

I'll add Freddy vs. Jason as a bonus since I know it's streaming. I just have to take time because gently caress me, too much time looking at a screen, be it my laptop or my phone or my TV, sends me spiraling into hell.

I believe 9 and 10 are on Netflix too. I know this because I too have committed to this questionable goal. And I find it super annoying that the recently released Blu Ray collection only has 8 of 10-12 films. The hell?

Anyway, yesterday I saw someone call Part 4 “the platonic ideal of a Jason movie” which made me really, really worried about watching the rest of the films since I wasn't a fan. But I made a commitment.

7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
Available on Showtime.

The fifth installment picks up with Tommy Jarvis having totally, for real killed Jason but ended up traumatized and potentially dangerous from the experience. Fast forward a few years and naturally the best place for a now grown, buff, deeply traumatized, and hair triggered prone to violence Tommy is a poorly supervised half way house for other troubled kids in the woods where we just let violent people play with axes. I mean… did NO doctor think it might be best to find him a place not in the woods?

This is a lovely movie.

Like this is such a lovely movie that it retroactively makes me feel better about the previous bad movies. I mean, sure, they were bad, but they weren’t THIS bad.

I mean, sure, the Friday movies introduce one dimensional characters solely so Jason has more people to kill. But at least they didn’t just introduce them and kill them off 5 minutes later in the same goddamn scene. This movie did that like 3 or 4 times.

At least the other movies just commit to their premise instead of putting in the bare minimum effort for a murder mystery twist that results in the lamest ending I’ve seen in a long time. I actively had to go to Wikipedia to figure out who the gently caress the killer was. I don’t think I’ve ever responded to a “the real killer” reveal with “Who?” until now.

And was it just required that every 90s’ horror franchise had to do a movie where the protagonist from the last film is in a mental institute with other troubled kids?

And jesus, this film’s attempt at humor somehow managed to be offensive without ever actually saying or doing anything that really does stand out as offensive today. Like, I was expecting a bunch of slurs or bad taste jokes, but instead it was just offensively… I don’t know. I was waiting for laugh tracks or slide whistle chasing song to come in at times.

This is a bad, bad, bad movie. Is that the secret to the Friday the 13th movies? Like is every subsequent one so bad that it makes the prior ones look better progressively?

8. Suspiria (2018)
Available on Amazon Prime.

This 2018 remake of Dario Argento’s 1977 classic brings a young Menonite girl from Ohio and a concentration camp survivor doctor on separate paths to the same destination of a Berlin dance studio where a coven of witches plot to use their students for their own purposes.

I think I was in a uniquely good position to view this film as I’ve seen the original and enjoyed it a great deal, but I only saw it 6 months ago and don’t have the strong reverence you often do for classics. So I largely judge this on it own merits and I really enjoyed it. Strong performances from Tilda Swinton, Lutz Ebersdorf*, Dakota Johnson, Mia Goth, and Chloe Grace Moretz (who I really wanted to see more of but knew I wouldn’t from the original).

*Wait a loving second… Josef was played by Tilda Swinton too? The gently caress? My mind is motherfucking blown.

Ok… processing that and back to the film…

I really loved the idea of dance serving as the means for the witches to perform their spells. I loved the idea of some of their students being “natural” to it and “improvising”. The brutality and sexuality and smoothness of the dance was really a great part of the film and provided most of the really memorable and powerful scenes of gore, sex, or just visual stuff. And when I was watching Johnson dance without music it made me realize how so much of the movements and creepy performances we see in horror films are basically dance without music. I feel like i got a newfound appreciation of horror films in general from this.

I would agree that this is a “reimagining” more than a remake. I mean, it clearly IS a remake but Luca Guadagnino obviously made a wise choice to avoid trying to recreate Argento’s work but tell his own version of it. The most obvious case of that is of course the visual, since Argento’s is so known for its color and presentation. Guadagnino seems to deliberately leave his film washed out and in winter in what seems like basically a submission that he isn’t going to try and win that fight with Argento. That came off to me smart and respectful. And lets him focus on the dance as his film's visual thing.

But I think the bigger way its different is that this film feels so much FULLER in so many ways. And 153 minutes its arguably too full and there’s definitely stuff that I can see people finding excessive. For me I found it all worthwhile and satisfying and the run time only really got me once somewhere around the 70-90 minute mark when I noticed how much of the film was left. But then I really didn’t notice how much of it was as the last half of the film flows very well.

The story felt fuller, and I think that comes out in two major ways - the doctor’s hugely expanded character and the witches’ much more open actions and motivations. I loved these two things as I found the original much more style than substance. The doctor stood out to me in the original in a bad way as a really lazy and awkward exposition dump to move the story along, but he’s a much more natural part of the film here and he has his own terrible and moving story. I also just really liked knowing what the witches were doing and Tilda Swinton’s ambiguous turn on them. I imagine a lot of this is heresy to fans of the original and I get the sense that not only is Argento’s style in general very dreamlike and surreal but that a lot of the murder mystery of the film is true to the “giallo” genre so many are fond of. I’m less so so I really enjoyed this take.

Matter of fact, I think this has finally helped me understand what "giallo" is. Its the murder mystery stuff the original had that this doesn't? I think I got it!

And the film clearly has a poo poo load of themes and narratives that could probably be analyzed a million ways. Motherhood. Abuse of power. Revolution. Sexuality. Women’s relationships. Women’s autonomy. Religion. Probably more that I missed or am forgetting. There’s clearly a lot that this film had to say and I imagine people interpret it in a lot of different ways. I’m not really going to dive in there as I mostly just enjoyed the experience the way you might take in a lecture. But I’m sure there’s a lot out there if I went looking.

I could probably say more and many could probably disagree, add on, and expand. Suffice it to say I really enjoyed this film. I’m blown away by Swinton’s performance(s), I loved much of the visual storytelling, the Josef storyline made this the third film of the month to give me the feelings, and I really think this film gave me a deeper appreciation for films in general, for horror films, and for Argento’s work. I definitely want to revisit the original and I think I’m bumping Inferno up my list for this month. Even though its different and I know Argento didn’t really expand the way Guadagnino did I’m just finding myself very intrigued by the Three Mothers after this film.

What the gently caress Tilda Swinton? Are you even human?

”Wonder How This Holds Up” PreGaming in April
1. World War Z (2013); 2. As Above, So Below (2014); 3. The Cabin in the Woods (2011); 4. The Last Exorcism (2010); 5. Trollhunter (2010); 6. The Blair Witch Project (1999); 7. Unfriended (2014); 8. Absentia (2011); 9. The Last Exorcism Part II (2013); 10. The Prophecy (1995); 11. Dawn of the Dead (1976); 12. Mandy (2018)

May “New To Me/Clean Up” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. From Beyond (1986); 2. Train to Busan (2016); 3. Coraline (2009); 4. The Old Dark House (1932); 5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 6. Apostle (2018); 7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985); 8. Suspiria (2018)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 9, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The recent Blu Ray set is all the Paramount films. New Line did Jason Goes to Hell - Freddy Vs Jason.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

1. The Void (2016): The poster looked cool and I thought it’d be a cool trippy cult movie which is up my alley but this was really disappointing. The characters were flat, the monsters weren’t bad but they weren’t particularly good either. I got bored with the movie pretty quick and couldn’t get back into it even when it showed signs of life toward the end.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

1. The Void (2016): The poster looked cool and I thought it’d be a cool trippy cult movie which is up my alley but this was really disappointing. The characters were flat, the monsters weren’t bad but they weren’t particularly good either. I got bored with the movie pretty quick and couldn’t get back into it even when it showed signs of life toward the end.

Something ive noticed a lot with recent horror is that it just doesn't have 90 minutes of content in a lot of scripts. This is especially true of ff but the void felt like it had a ton of padding too. We need a new hour long horror series like tales from the crypt for these films to have a tight, satisfying 60m home in.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Three nights in a row I’ve started Children Shouldn’t Play w/ Dead Things and three nights in a row I’ve passed out before a zombie shows up. I need to watch it when I’m not so drat sleepy.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Is that the secret to the Friday the 13th movies? Like is every subsequent one so bad that it makes the prior ones look better progressively?

Five is the low point for me, but do you really expect them to get better? You're 5 films into a movie franchise at this point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

graventy posted:

Five is the low point for me, but do you really expect them to get better? You're 5 films into a movie franchise at this point.

The tenth one is the best though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

graventy posted:

Fast Five is the best F&F movie.
New Nightmare (7) is the best Freddy after 1.
Saw 6 is the best Saw after 1.

Sometimes you gotta grit it out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Is that the secret to the Friday the 13th movies? Like is every subsequent one so bad that it makes the prior ones look better progressively?

They vary widely in quality depending on who's involved and how much they care. In Part 4 they decided they were done with Jason and killed him off "permanently", but they still wanted the franchise to keep going and making money. They wanted to set it up so Tommy Jarvis would be the continuing bad guy now that Jason was dead, but Part 5 was clearly a sloppy cash-in without really any care given to it. The director was a sleazy porn guy who had to have a ton of footage cut because he just filmed what he knew and basically tried to make a slasher porn.

Part 6 was their attempt at winning back the fans after the huge backlash it caused. They got a much more competent writer/director with a knack for comedy who had won an Emmy before and already had experience with the horror genre. He was given free rein to make the script however he wanted as long as he brought Jason back as the killer, so he created a self-referential comedy-horror that rarely tried to play anything straight. It ends up being one of the best installments in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

New Nightmare isn't better than Dream Warriors and Dream Warriors is better than the original.

And Friday part 5 owns you scrubs!!! Roy's our boy!