Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Pearl, Apollo and Ema: together they form the Not Accused of Murder Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Color Printer posted:

Pearl, Apollo and Ema: together they form the Not Accused of Murder Club.

I mean Gant tried to accuse Ema of murder.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean Gant tried to accuse Ema of murder.

Rise From The Ashes is but a hazy blur in my mind, and I literally just re-watched it the other day.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The real murderer is the judge. Just imagine how many innocent people he's sent to death row because they didn't happen to be defended by Phoenix. He literally lets the prosecution's witnesses lie as many times in a row as they need to to get their stories straight. The only way to get a defendant off in that man's courtroom is to try and find guilty one of the witnesses while they're on the stand during the acused's trial. If the prosecutors didn't call the real murderers as key witnesses all the time most of Phoenix's clients would be dead or in cuffs too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, but what you don't see is that the clients we see in the games are literally the only ones who are ever wrongfully accused!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Randallteal posted:

The real murderer is the judge. Just imagine how many innocent people he's sent to death row because they didn't happen to be defended by Phoenix. He literally lets the prosecution's witnesses lie as many times in a row as they need to to get their stories straight. The only way to get a defendant off in that man's courtroom is to try and find guilty one of the witnesses while they're on the stand during the acused's trial. If the prosecutors didn't call the real murderers as key witnesses all the time most of Phoenix's clients would be dead or in cuffs too.

Bugs the hell out of me that your client can still be considered guilty even after you prove that they couldn't have done it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It would actually bug you more (i mean, probably) if all the cases ended before you figured out the whole mystery and exposed the killer though. It's just one of those things you have to suspend your disbelief on as it's inseparable from the premise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The 3DS games are better at keeping your client on the hook until the end. In the mainline ones you have the deduction at the end to jump several steps at once and DGS has the jury discussions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being a video game means you just have to accept some amount of contrivance or inconsistency. Take Edgeworth, who in the AAI games demonstrates the same kind of tenacity Phoenix does and refuses to give up until he's found the full truth before it even gets to court. But then we've later seen him prosecute two cases where he didn't do this and it's up to Phoenix to find his mistakes.

They've also several times characterized the Judge as some who always gives the right verdict in the end. Yet in the cases we see it takes protagonists coming up with desperate ideas at the last minute to stop him from ending things prematurely. Things just have to be unfair and stacked against the player because that's part of what makes it fun.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I can kind of forgive Edgeworth in 5-5 because of how much the evidence is stacked against Athena and how little anyone knows about the phantom.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As one of the newcomers to the series I'm currently on 5-3 and that poseidon motherfucker is creepy as hell when he does that 'smile'

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tesseraction posted:

As one of the newcomers to the series I'm currently on 5-3 and that poseidon motherfucker is creepy as hell when he does that 'smile'

Aristotle Means. Unsure how far you are into 5-3 thus spoiling my opinion/speculation just in case. He’s the most insidious villain of the later games. I don’t think the game itself discusses the ramifications but this is someone who has seen thousands of students come and go, had influence over their education, and ultimately contributed to a deeply corrupt system in an almost banal way. That was probably the most satisfying takedown I’ve experienced in anything post-Trilogy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Regy Rusty posted:

Being a video game means you just have to accept some amount of contrivance or inconsistency. Take Edgeworth, who in the AAI games demonstrates the same kind of tenacity Phoenix does and refuses to give up until he's found the full truth before it even gets to court. But then we've later seen him prosecute two cases where he didn't do this and it's up to Phoenix to find his mistakes. .

This is actually easily explained by the cases in AAI being ones he investigated personally while the ones you go against him in the games are ones which he was assigned after others did.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SardonicTyrant posted:

I can kind of forgive Edgeworth in 5-5 because of how much the evidence is stacked against Athena and how little anyone knows about the phantom.

I can't, because he was in the exact same position as a kid and should understand there's probably more going on.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hey here’s annoying question I’m genuinely interested in since I’m in my AA mood again. What’s everyone’s favorite cases overall since the DGS and SoJ have released? Still 3-5 and 2-4(?) the Matt engarde one is what I’m trying to think of there

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm still not done with DGS but am now on the last case. I think that while I absolutely love the new Joint Reasoning gameplay, no case in this game is going to be a standout since they still lack the emotional depth that the most iconic cases of the trilogy had, simply because the game is still very much the beginning to middle of a story. I can see the second game hitting that mark, though, they do seem to be building up to something. I didn't like the 4th case, but I didn't hate it either.

My favourite cases are definitely 2-4 and 3-5, but I'm also fond of the Mia cases, and 1-4. I also loved the case where you defend an orca, and I liked in AA6 when Nick and Edgeworth investigated together.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm still working my way through 3 (I played it looong ago), but right now I'd say 2-4 is probably the best. The Magatama gimmick you get introduced to in 2 gets countered, showing it's not the end-all be-all you think it is, Edgeworth comes back with character development, and then there's the big twist that your client actually is guilty and Phoenix's tactics change from proving his client's innocence to stalling for time.

Honestly, the only downside to that case is that it feels like the important lesson you're supposed to learn about seeking the truth above all else doesn't carry into future games because your clients after that are always innocent, so we don't get to really see Phoenix apply that lesson past simply defending his clients

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Honestly, the only downside to that case is that it feels like the important lesson you're supposed to learn about seeking the truth above all else doesn't carry into future games because your clients after that are always innocent, so we don't get to really see Phoenix apply that lesson past simply defending his clients

He learns how to threaten a man's life to get the verdict he wants.

Although he learned that from Mia in 1-2 too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the_american_dream posted:

Hey here’s annoying question I’m genuinely interested in since I’m in my AA mood again. What’s everyone’s favorite cases overall since the DGS and SoJ have released? Still 3-5 and 2-4(?) the Matt engarde one is what I’m trying to think of there

Still 3-5

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

AA3 is the stronger game overall because AA2 has some real stinker cases but I feel like 2-4 is more fitting as a climax to Phoenix's arc than 3-5 is, especially with how things go down in AA4

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

2-4 and 3-5 (honorable 1-4/ 1-5) are probably going to be the biggest responses, especially because of how they effect the overall story. Recently, 6-5 and AAI2-3 are also incredibly strong as well.

As for "one-offs", 3-2, 6-2, and 5-DLC are all INCREDIBLY strong.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I figured as much. I wonder if 3-4 will eventually get more love as new people find the trilogy. That may have hit me hardest emotionally and 3-5 wouldn’t be nearly as strong without it

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

It's hard to think of 3-4 and 3-5 as separate tbh because 3-1, 3-4 and 3-5 are basically one continuous story told out of order for maximum impact

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think Kay may be my favorite assistant, with the possible exception of Trucy's bouncing step animation

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 9, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Great Ace Attorney is blowing my goddamn mind. It breaks all the rules. Nothing is safe. Everything is confusing. I have no idea what to expect anymore.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Personally, I did not like 2-4 and was delighted when 3-2 did the same thing but better.

3-5 for me, i think.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Great Ace Attorney is blowing my goddamn mind. It breaks all the rules. Nothing is safe. Everything is confusing. I have no idea what to expect anymore.

And they will never release it in the US.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah!
This game is so much better if someone has played through the others before... it really does not care for any of the "rules" of story AA has build up over the years.

What makes me sad is not that it won't be localized (the fan team is doing a good job and I have faith they'll deliver the second too), but that there probably won't be more spinoffs after this one wasn't so well received. I feel that spinoffs like this are a great place to try out a lot of new gameplay mechanics, since they're mostly only there for that specific arc, which made this game feel really fresh and exciting to play.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aristotle Means. Unsure how far you are into 5-3 thus spoiling my opinion/speculation just in case. He’s the most insidious villain of the later games. I don’t think the game itself discusses the ramifications but this is someone who has seen thousands of students come and go, had influence over their education, and ultimately contributed to a deeply corrupt system in an almost banal way. That was probably the most satisfying takedown I’ve experienced in anything post-Trilogy.

Comically enough I had just started arguing with him in court when I made that post, and it was satisfying watching that evil piece of poo poo squirm.

Now I'm on the Cosmic Turnabout and while it's good so far the astronaut's sigh is annoyingly slow.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

What're my options if I want to try Great Ace Attorney?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merilan posted:

Buy on android device, install patch. Done.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Merilan posted:

Either buy it on an android (using a jp account, they explain how to do it on their website) and use the patch, or buy it for a 3ds with custom firmware.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How safe is custom firmware these days?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Android emulation on pc is incredibly easy! Assuming you have a pc! Don't just not mention the third option, everyone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah getting the Android emulator set up was the easy part. The real pain is all the hoops you have to jump through to buy the game since Google really doesn't want you using the Japanese store outside Japan. Fortunately the translation team's website has a step by step guide that got me through it in the end.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tried playing Apollo Justice on BlueStacks but it felt a little clunky. Is that just proof that I'm too fussy or are the other Android ports better?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm sure you can just use a ds emulator for AJ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh after futzing around for a bit I just said "gently caress it" and went looking for my 2-years-unused 3DS to play it.

Something I noticed is that in the 3DS version it's the normal old lady trying to break into the park in 4-2 whereas on the Android version she's been edited to be Oldbag, looks and dialogue.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fancy shirt-era Edgeworth is a gigantic dork and deserves all of Callista Yew's mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Edgeworth is a gigantic dork in every era.