Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I think Swedracula got put somewhere else and while no details are forthcoming it was possible that this was due to Sweden having actual worker protections and there being no category for "caused an international incident with vampire roleplaying game manual" in Swedish labor law.

Since Ericsson's got some involvement in Bloodlines 2 and if it's a big hit I dread to think it might absolve his past sins. (Which he would them promptly commit again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

So I'm getting back into WoD after years away and I just found out about Beast.

Pity me. This looks like a wild ride.

Read the F&F write up, it's super good and covers all the major controversy along with why the book is so awful.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

TheNamedSavior posted:

Really? I swore I read something about swedracula or whatever his loving dumb face was, getting fired. Did I misinterpret something?

You shouldn't believe everything you read. No one has been stated as being fired or let go from WW, they're just being overseen as a full subsidiary of Paradox (so contingent oversight) rather than autonomously working on Paradox's dime.

Dawgstar posted:

Since Ericsson's got some involvement in Bloodlines 2 and if it's a big hit I dread to think it might absolve his past sins. (Which he would them promptly commit again.)

His 'involvement' would have been during the period when BL2 was being pitched and developed side by side with V5 (so two years ago), since BL2 has been stated to be V5 lore compliant by working with WW. WW isn't actively doing anything other than brand management at this point. Stop freaking out.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 10, 2019

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Nessus posted:

I think Swedracula got put somewhere else and while no details are forthcoming it was possible that this was due to Sweden having actual worker protections and there being no category for "caused an international incident with vampire roleplaying game manual" in Swedish labor law.

So does his stupid rear end still hold any influence on the current projects at Paradox-owned WW? Or is it some weird situation where he's at the company but actually not doing anything? (Like Elvis being a member of the FBI as a publicity stunt.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheNamedSavior posted:

So does his stupid rear end still hold any influence on the current projects at Paradox-owned WW? Or is it some weird situation where he's at the company but actually not doing anything? (Like Elvis being a member of the FBI as a publicity stunt.)

This remains entirely unclear. He did some writing for Bloodlines 2?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

This remains entirely unclear. He did some writing for Bloodlines 2?

I'm not even sure if it's as much as "He did some writing" as "They're using his weird take on thin-bloods"

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

My impression has been that Martin Ericsson's involvement in Vampire projects is currently ambiguous. We know he's still on staff, and we know that he has been kind of superceded as the central creative authority in White Wolf planning, but that still leaves a lot of middle ground between "management thinks he's unfit as a primary spokesman and decision-maker but still thinks he's useful as a design guy who knows the property" and "he hosed up and is only still on the books for legal reasons but wants to put out the best spin he can and pretend he's still a major part of the loop on social media."

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
sure would be cool if white wolf or paradox would just cut ties with the swedish larp nazi

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's cool how hosed dudes latch onto anything the least bit dark or horror oriented and immediately assume "darkness" refers to their personal individual desire to fuckmurder their way through an Estonian orphanage and not, like, the perpetual darkness which consumes us all. It shows barely enough self awareness that they know they're hosed, they know they will be excommunicated from society at large if their true face is revealed, so they conflate their darkest desires with universal fears like we're all secretly afraid that we'll cram our hands down a Toreadore's shirt the minute no one's looking.

"I'm a horrible monster of dark impulses" is a fine thought to have, but "I'll create an elaborate fantasy universe which justifies my continued horribility" is just not

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
That's arguably what a lot of the oWoD was, unfortunately. It set up a lot of excuses and "reasons" for why you would be a fuckmurdery piece of poo poo. It's part of why I've come to prefer the ChroD, it feels like it prefers to explore the causes and personal roots of why people sometimes fail to be their best selves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ironslave posted:

That's arguably what a lot of the oWoD was, unfortunately. It set up a lot of excuses and "reasons" for why you would be a fuckmurdery piece of poo poo. It's part of why I've come to prefer the ChroD, it feels like it prefers to explore the causes and personal roots of why people sometimes fail to be their best selves.

In hindsight this is probably why I liked Revised Vampir ebest of all, with Achilli leaning towards 'vampires as substance abuse metaphor.'

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
ST kicked off Gehenna last night. In his game the whole concept of "generation" is skewed by the fact that every now and then the ancients wake up, eat all of the strongest vamps, and then dominate the rest into forgetting that it happened at all. This has been going on since almost the dawn of humanity so instead of most common vamps being 13th generation they're closer to 50th.

I kinda want to accuse him of ripping off Mass Effect, but at the same time the idea that Kindred are just cattle fattening themselves up for the slaughter is pretty lol considering their attitude towards regular people.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

ST kicked off Gehenna last night. In his game the whole concept of "generation" is skewed by the fact that every now and then the ancients wake up, eat all of the strongest vamps, and then dominate the rest into forgetting that it happened at all. This has been going on since almost the dawn of humanity so instead of most common vamps being 13th generation they're closer to 50th.

I kinda want to accuse him of ripping off Mass Effect, but at the same time the idea that Kindred are just cattle fattening themselves up for the slaughter is pretty lol considering their attitude towards regular people.

It does sound a bit Mass Effect-ish, but also doesn't sound like something out of line for oWoD ancient vamps to do from my understanding of the ancient vamps in Masquerade. Hell eating the strongest and mind wiping everyone else seems like a pretty good master plan really.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Cyclical purge Gehenna is from early (like 1e) Masquerade, IIRC, except that I seem to recall it worked the other way around - the Antes wake up and eat all of their non-Methuselah descendants, then go back to sleep for another 2000 years.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
my favorite werewolf Apocalypse scenario was the one that started with the spirit of the asteroid belt hurling a rock at Gaia to put her out of her misery

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can blame them for copying Mass Effect, but Mass Effect stole it from the Matrix, who in turn stole it from M. John Harrison.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

my favorite werewolf Apocalypse scenario was the one that started with the spirit of the asteroid belt hurling a rock at Gaia to put her out of her misery

I like all of the Apocalypse scenarios. They're certainly big battles at the end of the world.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

You can blame them for copying Mass Effect, but Mass Effect stole it from the Matrix, who in turn stole it from M. John Harrison.

I always assumed Mass Effect stole it from Star Control 3

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
All of the old WoD is contained within a single snowglobe sitting on a Solar Exhalted's celestial 7-dimensional sky-shelf.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Five Eyes posted:

Cyclical purge Gehenna is from early (like 1e) Masquerade, IIRC, except that I seem to recall it worked the other way around - the Antes wake up and eat all of their non-Methuselah descendants, then go back to sleep for another 2000 years.

That's why it sounded familiar! I knew it sounded really familiar to something mentioned in a Masquerade book but I could not remember for the life of me if I'd actually read it or just imagined it.

I think it's either in 1e core or maybe in Beast I Am or whatever the hell that book is called.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

I ran with something similar in a game I was running, where there's just a cyclical process of elders getting less powerful with their childer suddenly getting a power spike (represented by the Generation background going up) - the destruction of the 2nd Generation by the 3rd's been repeating over and over for thousands of years, with most "elders" being only several centuries old. If you survived long enough you were brought in to the conspiracy, with the most recent purge being the First Inquisition; the Camarilla's strict population control had less to do with protecting the Masquerade and more with making sure there weren't enough kids beneath them to rise up like they did. And the Sabbat was more of a short-term game of "throw a bunch of bodies in to the woodchipper to take out your rivals" with a schism starting up shortly before the game began as the shovelheads started going "wait a second..." and them just getting the purge started early. Had a few other things with the Giovanni, Tremere, and Assamites being more a collection of clans masquerading as a monolithic group because, again, conspiracy.

Since the characters were all neonates but played by people who were really familiar with the metaplot it meant that they'd all bought in to the indoctrination that the PCs were put through. The whole thing was a bungled trashfire on my part but a fun one while it lasted.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

I like all of the Apocalypse scenarios. They're certainly big battles at the end of the world.

the 'loud ending' Gehenna was fun too. Nosferatu rolling around in the guts of a ghouled Antarctic T-Rex, using Animalism to guide it into attacking and swallowing other elders during the day so that he can devour them

that's just a good time

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Zeroisanumber posted:

Antediluvian Plot Cyclical Gehenna, especially in a powerset that creates a Generational cap on Dominate (and therefore trustworthy memories) is totally in-line with the original tone for VtM that fell away because Superheroes With Fangs is a lot easier to play and write without "spoiling" the big ending.

I would say just enjoy the ride.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Berkshire Hunts posted:

I always assumed Mass Effect stole it from Star Control 3

No one steals from Star Control 3.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

No one steals from Star Control 3.

No one.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
More video games could do with muppets :kiddo:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

Antediluvian Plot Cyclical Gehenna, especially in a powerset that creates a Generational cap on Dominate (and therefore trustworthy memories) is totally in-line with the original tone for VtM that fell away because Superheroes With Fangs is a lot easier to play and write without "spoiling" the big ending.

I would say just enjoy the ride.

So far it seems like our saving grace is that we're not 100% on the menu and the Ancients don't seem to like to "go loud" and make a big mess because it's harder to clean up and excuse afterwards. Our biggest problem has been elders who actually are on the menu freaking out and trying to get us killed in order to save their raggedy hides.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just found a dope campaign about a small European city housing a Pharmaceutical company that is pushing extreme health plans on all its workers and their families to promote health, but it’s actually Vampires testing a new chemical to make human blood enriched and more nourishing, so that Vampires might require fewer feedings.

It’s seems high science and flipping through it it it’s got a lot of weird encounters with basically science experiment Vampires and crossbreeds.

I am extremely hype to play this vampire game y’all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Can someone translate this out of "edgy idiot"?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

His friend held a kink party that he attended.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

...huh? Whatever, Martin.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

Can someone translate this out of "edgy idiot"?

He went to a kink party. The "labor camp" thing is kinda gross even as part of a subversive metaphor for sexual roleplay and defiance, but he's not unique for using that kind of language as part of a kink scene.

It's hard to see why anyone should care about this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yeah you kind of expect that out of a LARPer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The overlap between LARP nerds who gently caress and who go to kink parties is way, way higher than you’d think.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I imagine that Venn Diagram basically being a circle, so I guess it'd have to be some sort of n-sphere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mulva posted:

I imagine that Venn Diagram basically being a circle, so I guess it'd have to be some sort of n-sphere.

Nah, there’s kink people who don’t larp and I guess there’s probably some vanilla LARPer somewhere. A lot of overlap but not a 100% chance.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Aaaaanyway…

I'm very slowly making my way through Geist 2e, and I really like the basic way it formats rules and powers. On my Mage cheat sheet, for example, more than once I'd have to struggle to squeeze in yet another thing you can do with say Mage Sight because I'd missed it until re-reading for whatever reason and finding the like one sentence buried in the middle of paragraph three about one of the five things it does. In Geist 2e, breaking everything out into discrete bullet points is a tremendous help.

But! This game even more than all the others really highlights how lovely Conditions are as-is, because so many Haunts and other things are "place this Condition on someone or something", and gently caress you if you don't want to flip ~200 pages to figure out what that means mechanically or contextualize what all the subsequent enhancements/powers are doing. I just…really hate this. It's outright terrible. Usually when I contemplate the cheat sheets for my never-gonna-happen games, I don't have to plan on just totally reproducing all of the main powers and editing in what they actually do just so you can read them in one place and know what the gently caress they actually do.

Anyway2 cool game. As someone almost entirely unfamiliar with 1e the premise is cool and evocative and I really like the world-building for the Underworld. Good job, GIB.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 13, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Familiarity with 1e would frankly not help you or change much.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What I've taken to doing is opening the PDF on my tablet or laptop and going to the condition section while reading the hard cover

Edit: for cod in general, I'm really anxious for the book to ship because I hate reading books on the tablet/ laptop for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

What I've taken to doing is opening the PDF on my tablet or laptop and going to the condition section while reading the hard cover

Edit: for cod in general, I'm really anxious for the book to ship because I hate reading books on the tablet/ laptop for some reason.

Yeah, I was reading Haunts on my tablet and computer last night. It sucked.