Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

Is that group even around? I pretty sure Kuvo usually with Geop and Vicas these days.

They kinda unofficially reunited for FFXV. It was mostly Kuvo and topikal but Bandunk was cool enough to leave his family every now and then and join them for the LP.

No Alex though, unfortunately.

S.J. posted:

who are these t40s I keep seeing people post about

https://www.youtube.com/user/TippingForties/playlists

Recommend their FFX LP, their Goldeneye LP and ...well, everything else is a bit iffier. If you like their style would probably be decided by those two LP's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Man I used to love listening to the tipping 40s podcast

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ironically even through I am friends with Kuvo and watch the weekly 'anime night' stream he does on his Dischord with Geop and Vicas, I never watched his LPs outside.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Just finished XV and I watching my photos over the credits. Still don’t exactly what happened but I feel appropriately sad and nostalgic.

I would like to play a more turn-based FF game preferably on PSIV. WOFF? FFII? X/X2? I don’t really like button mashing in rpg games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
woff wasn't that good. i played it for probably 12 hours? there's a lot of passive map navigation ability juggling and really long dungeons with routes you can't access until you grind AP to get the movement skills, but why would you want to because the dungeons are unnecessarily over size.

when you say ff2 do you mean like, the remake of the NES game? because you should avoid every incarnation of it at all costs

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 8, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you want pure turn-based instead of ATB, 10 is your only good option. Also Tactics if you like strategy games.

1 is fine too I guess.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

If you want pure turn-based instead of ATB, 10 is your only good option.
excuse me have you considered Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I know it got trashed a lot for being an overpriced IOS port, but if I enjoyed playing Adventure of Mana on IOS is there any reason I won’t enjoy the Secret of Mana remake?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

woff wasn't that good. i played it for probably 12 hours? there's a lot of passive map navigation ability juggling and really long dungeons with routes you can't access until you grind AP to get the movement skills, but why would you want to because the dungeons are unnecessarily over size.

Maxima added a mirage that has most of the elemental ones in one, I think, but as long as you carry Seraphones, it shouldn't ever be a problem because the movement abilities are generally the first item on the mirage boards. and it's almost never required to do the main dungeons--just the secret/side areas.

if you like fan service and ATB, it's a fun game to pick up

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

excuse me have you considered Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

I already mentioned FFX.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Augus posted:

I know it got trashed a lot for being an overpriced IOS port, but if I enjoyed playing Adventure of Mana on IOS is there any reason I won’t enjoy the Secret of Mana remake?

It depends, they changed more with Secret of Mana, and at release it had some really bad bugs that were supposedly fixed after I plat'd the thing (like an obvious memory leak that would crash the game after an hour or so of play).

The remixed music was done by like 8 different composers and it's extremely hit or miss, with at least one town theme suddenly having dubstep that doesn't fit at all (though you can switch to a cleaned up version of the original that doesn't sound much different).

There's some nice QoL features (the game now tells you when you miss, shortcuts for spells, spells don't pause the action anymore, input buffer for damage is faster, your AI companions are now hyper competent), but also you have less customization over party members (you can assign them to do like 3 things), the game is now super easy because of your competent party members and the increase in speed, charge attacks are now completely worthless, etc.

But I would say the number one thing people seem to have against it is the art and if you can get past that and liked Adventures of Mana you should be good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WoFF is really not good. Combat is excruciatingly slow, leveling is like someone set out to make a worse version of the sphere grid, the story is basically non existent for 21/22 chapters despite how long people talk, to unlock the final chapter you have to grind out side content, combat is not well balanced at all, dungeons are very dull, an annoyingly large portion of the roster of collectible critters are things like "pallete swapped wolf" and "pallete swapped bat", and the stack/unstack mechanic is so halfbaked I dont even know why its a menu option.

On the upside its capture mechanic where you can guarantee a 100% chance to catch is really good and train conductor cactuar is a fun character for the 2 scenes theyre in the game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

WoFF is really not good. Combat is excruciatingly slow, leveling is like someone set out to make a worse version of the sphere grid, the story is basically non existent for 21/22 chapters despite how long people talk, to unlock the final chapter you have to grind out side content, combat is not well balanced at all, dungeons are very dull, an annoyingly large portion of the roster of collectible critters are things like "pallete swapped wolf" and "pallete swapped bat", and the stack/unstack mechanic is so halfbaked I dont even know why its a menu option.

On the upside its capture mechanic where you can guarantee a 100% chance to catch is really good and train conductor cactuar is a fun character for the 2 scenes theyre in the game.

leveling in WoFF is about 50x less tedious than doing anything on the sphere grid it's not even close, especially since leveling for one family of mirages also gets you the xp for related mirages, and you may not like the story but it's absolutely there the whole time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What is the best smartphone/mobile FF game to play? Is FFRK still the goon favorite because it's just a gacha with good sprite art for collecting your fave FF characters?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DrNutt posted:

What is the best smartphone/mobile FF game to play? Is FFRK still the goon favorite because it's just a gacha with good sprite art for collecting your fave FF characters?

Personally Im a fan of FFT. Its a really good port imo and the controls are a lot better than they are given credit. (You arent supposed to click on menus, you just swipe your finger to move the cursor and then click anywhere on the screen)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WaltherFeng posted:

Personally Im a fan of FFT. Its a really good port imo and the controls are a lot better than they are given credit. (You arent supposed to click on menus, you just swipe your finger to move the cursor and then click anywhere on the screen)

Oh nice I actually have that thanks to Google survey credits but I haven't given it a spin because I was afraid the touch controls would be terrible.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DrNutt posted:

I still enjoy FFRK, although I can see it being a bit overwhelming to start after years of new features and such being added. But it's pretty free-2-play friendly. I played it for four years, I think I've done maybe 3 paid pulls in that time, I have had terrible gacha luck, and yet I've completed almost all of the hardest content.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

leveling in WoFF is about 50x less tedious than doing anything on the sphere grid it's not even close, especially since leveling for one family of mirages also gets you the xp for related mirages, and you may not like the story but it's absolutely there the whole time.

I didnt say they succeeded at making a worse sphere grid, but they tried. It took the complaint about empty sphere slots on the sphere grid and "fixed it" by just hiding the dead levels visually and not having a mechanic to get that back. On top of this the kept mechanics that lock you out of parts of the grid, except unlike FFX theres no indication of what you need to do to unlock the blockage and not every critter has the same rules so some can be used the whole game smoothly getting new grid and some just cant with no rhyme or reason.

The story is for 21 chapters "we must stop the badguys and there is a prophecy" with absolutely no information or details for anything, with large parts of the games narrative runtime dedicated to vignettes like "lets copy this entire plot line from FF1 wholesale" which has absolutely no bearing on the wider story. Then in the final chapter, after you ground out all the side content that also isnt the games plot but chock full of story, all of the story development that should come in the preceding 20-30 hours gets dumped on your head.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

I didnt say they succeeded at making a worse sphere grid, but they tried. It took the complaint about empty sphere slots on the sphere grid and "fixed it" by just hiding the dead levels visually and not having a mechanic to get that back. On top of this the kept mechanics that lock you out of parts of the grid, except unlike FFX theres no indication of what you need to do to unlock the blockage and not every critter has the same rules so some can be used the whole game smoothly getting new grid and some just cant with no rhyme or reason.

The story is for 21 chapters "we must stop the badguys and there is a prophecy" with absolutely no information or details for anything, with large parts of the games narrative runtime dedicated to vignettes like "lets copy this entire plot line from FF1 wholesale" which has absolutely no bearing on the wider story. Then in the final chapter, after you ground out all the side content that also isnt the games plot but chock full of story, all of the story development that should come in the preceding 20-30 hours gets dumped on your head.

the only parts of the grid I can think of that you get "locked out" of are transfigs for other forms, and if it's a level requirement, it'll tell you. if it's not, then it's something you have to find either in a secret area or by capturing another mirage.

the game is absolutely a tour through some of the old games, but the main impetus was never the prophecy--Enna Kros told them to explore Grymoire and get their memories back by catching mirages. the prophecy stuff was just something they stumbled upon while they were trying to help everyone out along the way. the reveal later that the prophecy was just bs made up by Segwarides is just part of that overall theme, and you find out the major reveal for the twins before any of the end game content. I also don't think there's as much grinding for the main story as you make out, but it's been a while so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

the only really egregious thing they did was locking content behind the minigames, many of which were bad

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DrNutt posted:

Oh nice I actually have that thanks to Google survey credits but I haven't given it a spin because I was afraid the touch controls would be terrible.

I'd recommend it only for tablets, honestly. On my phone the interface is way too small, although I admit it's in part because I primarily phone-play with thumbs, I imagine it isn't as bad with fingers.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Anyone got any tips for someone starting IX for the first time?

I played 6, 7, 8, 13 and 15 but knew almost nothing about 9 besides it went back to a more cartoony look with Black and White mages.

I've been playing for 6 hours and it's been nothing but story with the smallest of expeditions and it FEELS like this whole thing is still only starting. I've done the airship bit and fought off the 3rd giant Black Mage and it looks like I'll be exploring a palace for a while longer. Does the game open up any after this? I doubt I'll ever really get into the characters or story, but I'd really like another big FF world to explore and grind in and discover its secrets.

Thanks in advance.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drunken Baker posted:

I played 6, 7, 8, 13 and 15 but knew almost nothing about 9 besides it went back to a more cartoony look with Black and White mages.

I've been playing for 6 hours and it's been nothing but story with the smallest of expeditions and it FEELS like this whole thing is still only starting. I've done the airship bit and fought off the 3rd giant Black Mage and it looks like I'll be exploring a palace for a while longer. Does the game open up any after this? I doubt I'll ever really get into the characters or story, but I'd really like another big FF world to explore and grind in and discover its secrets.

Thanks in advance.

9 is very story focused, but yeah, you’re still in the “beginning” of the game. Without spoiling anything, 9 is very much in the FF tradition of starting small and then just completely going to crazytown as it moves along. It’s good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

I already mentioned FFX.
:yeah:

I couldn't resist :shobon:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Thanks in advance.

After you get done with Lindblum you'll have a bit more room to run around and a few optional minigames to do-+ treasure to collect.

Also while you are in Lindblum you will participate in a contest for the story. You can have either Zidane, Vivi or somebody else important win this. I recommend letting the new character win. It's not vital or anything but they get the best prize.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Drunken Baker posted:

That was a problem I had with it. I always felt like I was still just getting started. Until I realized I was already part way through the 3rd disc and didn't feel like anything all that significant had really happened. FFIX seems to have a good reputation online, but I just don't see it. It never really clicked for me.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

Thanks in advance.

As said previously, you are pretty much still at the beginning. I recently replayed FF9. And God it's so good. even random npc's have charm and feel like they move along with the events of the world.
You are very close to one of the best minigames, Chocobo hot and cold. once you are able to leave Lindbum. you can find this minigame outside.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

After you get done with Lindblum you'll have a bit more room to run around and a few optional minigames to do-+ treasure to collect.

Also while you are in Lindblum you will participate in a contest for the story. You can have either Zidane, Vivi or somebody else important win this. I recommend letting the new character win. It's not vital or anything but they get the best prize.

It's also nice that it's easiest to just let her win. You can literally sit around doing nothing for seven minutes and get a cool accessory for it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

That was a problem I had with it. I always felt like I was still just getting started. Until I realized I was already part way through the 3rd disc and didn't feel like anything all that significant had really happened. FFIX seems to have a good reputation online, but I just don't see it. It never really clicked for me.

By midway through disc 3 Vivi has already come to terms with his mortality, the main villain for the first half of the game is loving dead, and every major city on the starting continent has been destroyed to some degree and you didn't feel like anything significant had happened?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

It's the worst PS era FF, you are not alone.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also nice that it's easiest to just let her win. You can literally sit around doing nothing for seven minutes and get a cool accessory for it.

Just attack yourself while fighting a random monster and end it quickly.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Hunt has a rad soundtrack so I don’t know why you’d want to end it quickly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I just got to the part in 12 where you’re sent off to chase after Penelo in another city. I already took the only airship out of Rabanstre, but the only completely new area I could get to from that town was blocked off. Am I supposed to just go into the older area and just blindly wander around until I hit the plot destination?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Regalingualius posted:

So I just got to the part in 12 where you’re sent off to chase after Penelo in another city. I already took the only airship out of Rabanstre, but the only completely new area I could get to from that town was blocked off. Am I supposed to just go into the older area and just blindly wander around until I hit the plot destination?
I'm Basch Fon Ronsenburg and you should run through the barely branching corridor until story things happen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If you are not charmed by the characters in FFIX, then you have no soul, and you should give up on the game and also life.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regalingualius posted:

Not sure if you're being vague on purpose, but if you mean you flew to Bhujerba and can't get into the Lhusu Mines, walk around a bit and you'll get some cutscene triggers leading to a minigame. If you mean you took an airship to Nalbina and can't go north from there, go back to the Rabanastre airship hanger and talk to Balthier instead of booking passage on your own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

there's an npc in lindblum who asks you if you're enjoying yourself

if you tell her no, she tells you to go play a different game you big baby

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Attitude Indicator posted:

The Hunt has a rad soundtrack so I don’t know why you’d want to end it quickly.

Because you've played it once a year for the last 10 years more or less :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOn2bWuA_0w

I kinda like it. Too bad it'll take forever to fully come out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOn2bWuA_0w

I kinda like it. Too bad it'll take forever to fully never come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

that looks cool but having just replayed FF7 I really wish they would just do a simple remake with improved graphics and quality of life improvements but otherwise identical gameplay that could be released on the switch