Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I never got around to Prometheus and Covenant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Jesus was a Space Jockey and they had seeded earth like, 10k years ago so when we killed Jesus Space Alien Christ they wanted to wipe us out

if he'd committed to this kind of psychedelic deep weirdness instead of chickening out and making it all "stuff just happens because *handwaves*, you guys", Prometheus would have been Good

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 8, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

I think I need to re-read Dead Orbit, the only thing I remember from it is how every character says “HGK!” over and over all the time.

you definitely do, that's one dude who's in the process of dying from having his skin burnt off

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Prometheus, took me a couple of viewings to really come around to hate it.

Covenant on the other hand, I hated like 20 minutes in. The theatre experience was great though, loads of laughs at the flute scene, and some guy in front of me loudly said "yo this guys fuckin' stupid" at the one guy David lured down to his facehugger den.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The biggest crime is that its been nearly five years since Alien Isolation released and we've not had a sequel. Given the success of Mr X in the Resident Evil 2 remake it seems an opportune time to take advantage of the "implacable enemy hunting you down" concept being popular in the mass market.

Another crime is that if you Google search "Alien Isolation" the only review to show up on the first page is IGN giving the game a 5.9. Funnily enough the guy who wrote that review appears to be the same dickhead who spearheaded volunteering efforts at Tesla centres.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The biggest crime is that its been nearly five years since Alien Isolation released and we've not had a sequel. Given the success of Mr X in the Resident Evil 2 remake it seems an opportune time to take advantage of the "implacable enemy hunting you down" concept being popular in the mass market.

Another crime is that if you Google search "Alien Isolation" the only review to show up on the first page is IGN giving the game a 5.9. Funnily enough the guy who wrote that review appears to be the same dickhead who spearheaded volunteering efforts at Tesla centres.

What’s funny is Fox has been leaning in on Amanda Ripley extra hard lately. We’ve gotten a sorta-sequel mobile game that came out a few months ago, “Alien: Blackout”, which picks up right where Isolation ended. And then there’s the currently-running “Alien: Resistance” comic series which is a sequel to that, and then we’re getting the comic series “Alien: Rescue”, which is a sequel to Resistance. We’re also getting an expanded novelization of Isolation in a few months.

But no sequel game, no sir, nobody wants that.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
is the phone game any good

it doesn’t look good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WatermelonGun posted:

is the phone game any good

it doesn’t look good.

do you like five nights at freddies?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

What’s funny is Fox has been leaning in on Amanda Ripley extra hard lately. We’ve gotten a sorta-sequel mobile game that came out a few months ago, “Alien: Blackout”, which picks up right where Isolation ended. And then there’s the currently-running “Alien: Resistance” comic series which is a sequel to that, and then we’re getting the comic series “Alien: Rescue”, which is a sequel to Resistance. We’re also getting an expanded novelization of Isolation in a few months.

But no sequel game, no sir, nobody wants that.

I mean I'm pretty sure this is them gearing up for a sequel game, and just trying to get the first game back in people's minds

Like, it seems like the holdup is mostly on Creative Assembly being way more focused on Total War games

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

do you like five nights at freddies?

meeeehhhhhhhhh. i like alien tho so i’ll prolly end up buying it when i’m drunk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat, lots of new posts.

El_Elegante posted:

I’m on page 9 so far but is it ever explained why op consistently abbreviates the Weyland-Yutani corporation as WT? Is the alcoholic encephalopathy finally taking over?

Just a constant typo. Then someone said WY and I was like.... why the gently caress am I typing WT? Just me being dumb. Not a big deal. I corrected it.

Also you should probably smoke some weed or something.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, A:CM had asymmetric multiplayer modes that involved aliens vs marines. One of the modes was a Left 4 Dead style thing where four marines had to achieve a bunch of different objectives while trying to hold off the alien players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UBQouJBns

It was actually good, and having players control the aliens sidestepped the terrible AI that was present in the campaign, but the multiplayer died pretty quickly due to the rest of the game's reputation.

That really does look like fun. Shame.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The sound design is absolutely on point as well - I don't think the Pulse Rifle has ever sounded better in any other Aliens/AvP title - its pretty much the only game aside from AvP 1999 that I don't feel compelled to install a sound mod for. The soundtrack is very good, and takes just as many cues from Alien as it does Aliens.

I was just thinking about that last night. After firing the pulse rifle for a while I was like, "drat, this sounds exactly like the movie." It even stutters every so often like how they fire short bursts in the movie. I don't think it cuts off your bullets when it does that but the sound is certainly there.

I think this is my favorite part of Alien 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKY7ZFabTq8

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That really does look like fun. Shame.

Yeah I mean, like AvP2010 if we can ever get 8 people who want to play it seems like everything is still working. The 8 people thing is the trick though haha.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd be down. I asked earlier if anyone was interested in AvP 2010 and I got zero responses. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'd be down, I'm just buried with work until the weekend.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well that's 3 of us. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think the AvP 2010 has a type of survival mode where 4 of you are against maybe one alien and then whenever a Marine dies they turn into an alien. I'll try to find that video again because it looks fun as poo poo.

edit: this one, it's a funny moments thing but the funny moments are generally them getting scared senseless from an alien dropping on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc5i2zIkOw

My favorite part is maybe after the first 20 seconds or so when the ancient ruins map starts changing and captures people alone behind solid stone.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 9, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So, for the AvP2010 one it’s actually 2 different modes. There’s survivor, where it’s four players against AI aliens for as long as you can hold out, and then Infestation, where it’s up to I think 16 players, and you all start as marines except one alien, but everyone who dies turns into an alien. That’s pretty fun even with as few as six people, in my experience.

Colonial Marines also has a 4 player co-op horde mode thing if you have the Bug Hunt dlc, I think, as well as the previously mentioned 4v4 Left 4 Dead style mode.

In any case there’s a bunch of modes for anywhere from 4 to 8 players between the two games so if we can wrangle up a couple more this weekend we can give it a shot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We need more people.

Show your love for Aliens. Get one of these games goons.

Alright sweethearts you heard me and you know the drill. Assholes and elbows! Beet Wagon, come here. Come... here.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i have AVP CLASSIC 2000. i played some on 4/26 and got repeatedly owned by two dudes playing aliens. it’s cool we should play that.

I’m pretty sure I have avp2010 i’ll just have to redownload it. i’m down just don’t make me play deathmatch lol.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Stasis Interrupted is noticeably better than the main campaign I have to agree. ACM is an interesting one because despite Gearbox being a bunch of dishonest assholes and the general slap dash nature of the game (esp. the likes of the AI typo) its clear that there were at least some people involved who really cared about the film. The game absolutely nails environments such as the Sulaco, Hadleys Hope/LV-426 and the derelict. With the appropriate graphics mods its not a bad looking game either.

I bought the game a while ago when it was on a very deep discount (5 bucks or so) just to look at it the environments. There are a lot of places where the budget fuckery shows through and things look crusty, but the environments as a whole were pretty cool to look at.

I'm kind of tempted to do the AI fix and get some mods to fix the crusty bits and run through it again, but it's still kind of low on my priority list.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Watch this timestamped 10 second or so clip. Just looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOc5i2zIkOw&t=84s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Glenn Quebec posted:

Jesus was a Space Jockey and they had seeded earth like, 10k years ago so when we killed Jesus Space Alien Christ they wanted to wipe us out

This is basically a concussed version of the plot for Larry Cohen's God Told Me To.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think this is my favorite part of Alien 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKY7ZFabTq8

It's just so perfectly timed.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Laterite posted:

"Prometheus was bad on purpose" is quite the spicy take indeed.

Never underestimate the lengths sycophantic fans will go to in order to defend their sacred cows.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

prometheus was crap, doesn't work as an alien prequel even though it tries its best to muscle in as one, and shows that ridley scott doesn't understand what made alien good

edit: I assume covenant suffers from the same issues (like being poo poo) but I don't care enough about it to watch it

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 9, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

edit: I assume covenant suffers from the same issues (like being poo poo) but I don't care enough about it to watch it

You're missing nothing, it's basically the same movie but now with double the Davids so Ridley Scott can direct Michael Fassbender playing with himself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're missing nothing, it's basically the same movie but now with double the Davids so Ridley Scott can direct Michael Fassbender playing with himself.
That's a pretty relatable motivation

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
And the music is pretty good in Covenant too. Especially compared to that terrible, warbling theme Prometheus had.

And then David plays the music from Prometheus on his pan pipes in a really weird act of breaking the 4th wall.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

That's a pretty relatable motivation

True, though it doesn't make the film any good. The 'fingering' joke was funny along with the "you just blow" line but still.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This thread got me to watch Aliens for the first time a few nights ago. I had caught just Alien and Alien 3 as a kid and always thought Alien 3 was fine but goddamn what the hell

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Never underestimate the lengths sycophantic fans will go to in order to defend their sacred cows.
Have no illusion, most fans don’t like Prometheus and Covenant.

Personally I think Prometheus has some neat moments and neat ideas, and it’s an alright sci-fi/horror movie, but it’s a real bad Alien movie.

I feel kinda similar about Covenant, although I do like it a bit more than Prometheus.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Covenant would have been fine as a standalone dumb space horror popcorn movie. It'd still be clunky and (obviously) end up unfavourably compared to Alien, but that'd be it. A quick throwaway sci-fi monster movie which would probably have ended up better-received than Covenant really was.

The whole "this is how the aliens were made" thing is just one massive bed-making GBS threads moment though. Nobody asked for that loving backstory.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
This is making me want to see covenant again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Covenant would have been fine as a standalone dumb space horror popcorn movie. It'd still be clunky and (obviously) end up unfavourably compared to Alien, but that'd be it. A quick throwaway sci-fi monster movie which would probably have ended up better-received than Covenant really was.

The whole "this is how the aliens were made" thing is just one massive bed-making GBS threads moment though. Nobody asked for that loving backstory.

That, and it contradicts what we saw in ‘Alien’.

Seeing fans bend over backward to justify it and make it fit because “that’s the canon now” is pretty eye-rollingly stupid. Like, last I checked ‘Alien’ was still canon, so it’s just as plausible that David wasn’t creating the Alien, he was recreating someone else’s work (whether he realized it or not).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Xenomrph posted:

Have no illusion, most fans don’t like Prometheus and Covenant.

Personally I think Prometheus has some neat moments and neat ideas, and it’s an alright sci-fi/horror movie, but it’s a real bad Alien movie.

I feel kinda similar about Covenant, although I do like it a bit more than Prometheus.

Covenant is more fun in a popcorn, turn my brain off way. Prometheus had a lot more promise. Ehh, I dunno about Covenant anymore. The flute sequence and the baby alien copying David is so lovely...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Example on billion of how "prequel explains the origin of thing" is way worse than just leaving some backstory nebulous and filled in by the viewer's imagination.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
prequels are inherently dumb, because you’re going earlier than when you previously thought it was best to start a story. it’s an act in second-guessing yourself which never creates anything interesting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Prometheus would've been borderline good (and the theories about hubris and the crew being idiots plausible instead of this rationalizations) if it didn't have a connection to the Alien franchise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

prequels are inherently dumb, because you’re going earlier than when you previously thought it was best to start a story. it’s an act in second-guessing yourself which never creates anything interesting.

There can be exceptions, I thought ‘The Thing’ prequel was really cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Agreed, I was surprised that I didn't hate it but then it's basically the exact same film with a couple of extra bits tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Xenomrph posted:

It really was. With exception to a few of th CG moments.