Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

The stereotype of the programmer is rich highly educated privilege. It's not about race, it's about income.

It's also why they play into libertarian idiocy.

being super well educated and college degrees is pretty universally correlated with being progressive and leftist more than like, almost anything else that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Chris Hughes, co-founder of Facebook, says it's time to break up Facebook in a NYT opinion piece.

I will be accepting your apologies now.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

ryonguy posted:

People who have willingly worked in fields run by libertarian sociopaths kinda makes me question their leftist bonafides

Which industry is not run by libertarian sociopaths? Isn't this basically that '..yet you participate in society' comic?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The libertarian sociopaths that run the social media companies are just way more visible because, well, they run social media

I can tell you though that white dudes in programming, especially older ones, are absolutely what the stereotype makes them out to be re: political views. One of my coworkers is the quintessential techbro, down to the long hair, neckbeard, and fedora. I also heard them talking up Tulsi Gabbard a couple months ago.

Almost all the younger folks are super liberal but keep our politics mostly on the DL because of the above dudes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tarezax posted:

I can tell you though that white dudes in programming, especially older ones, are absolutely what the stereotype makes them out to be re: political views. One of my coworkers is the quintessential techbro, down to the long hair, neckbeard, and fedora.

What effect causes that to never be a thing that is ever reflected in any actual data or survey or voting pattern? Why is it always "I know a guy, trust me"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Family Values posted:

Which industry is not run by libertarian sociopaths? Isn't this basically that '..yet you participate in society' comic?
Exactly. "Large companies tend to be run by CEO's with libertarian leanings" is true for almost every industry. It's just more prominent for tech because the big tech companies (and their CEO's) are in the news a lot more. If anything tech CEO's might be a bit less libertarian than average (though definitely moreso than rank and file tech workers).

Tarezax posted:

I can tell you though that white dudes in programming, especially older ones, are absolutely what the stereotype makes them out to be re: political views. One of my coworkers is the quintessential techbro, down to the long hair, neckbeard, and fedora. I also heard them talking up Tulsi Gabbard a couple months ago.
Good example of how "tech bro" and "brogrammer" are like "hipster", they morph to fit the biases of the speaker. Since when does being a tech bro mean being a goony rear end neckbeard? Thought the "bro" part was supposed to mean being like a frat boy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What effect causes that to never be a thing that is ever reflected in any actual data or survey or voting pattern? Why is it always "I know a guy, trust me"

I perhaps generalized too much. I meant white dudes in programming <at this company>. I just found it kinda funny that I work with a literal stereotype

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tarezax posted:

I perhaps generalized too much. I meant white dudes in programming <at this company>. I just found it kinda funny that I work with a literal stereotype

is Tulsi Gabbard even a libertarian icon? She's not bernie sanders or anything but is the definition of libertarian stretched that far now?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Exactly. "Large companies tend to be run by CEO's with libertarian leanings" is true for almost every industry. It's just more prominent for tech because the big tech companies (and their CEO's) are in the news a lot more. If anything tech CEO's might be a bit less libertarian than average (though definitely moreso than rank and file tech workers).

Good example of how "tech bro" and "brogrammer" are like "hipster", they morph to fit the biases of the speaker. Since when does being a tech bro mean being a goony rear end neckbeard? Thought the "bro" part was supposed to mean being like a frat boy.

I think part of the issue is that a bunch of the libertarians running tech companies frame their missions as transforming the world in a way that libertarian bosses at a steel mill do not.

So of course Icahn has likely done more evil thus far than Thiel, based on time-doing-evil alone.

But it is Thiel that's talking about floating work camps in international waters, living forever on the blood of the youth, and imagining a world where his Palantir can keep the “unthinking demos” in line.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

is Tulsi Gabbard even a libertarian icon? She's not bernie sanders or anything but is the definition of libertarian stretched that far now?

Tulsi Gabbard has become the person really lovely people who will vote for Trump but don't want to admit it claim they like, because she's a massive bigot and also has no chance in the primaries.

For example, Joe Rogan said he supports her.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feinne posted:

Tulsi Gabbard has become the person really lovely people who will vote for Trump but don't want to admit it claim they like, because she's a massive bigot and also has no chance in the primaries.

Yeah but like, how does that translate to "libertarian"? Is libertarian just anything we don't like?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah but like, how does that translate to "libertarian"? Is libertarian just anything we don't like?

Libertarians are part of the group of lovely people who will vote for Trump but don't want to admit it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feinne posted:

Libertarians are part of the group of lovely people who will vote for Trump but don't want to admit it.

Is libertarian just a random meaningless word then? She's clearly got huge issues with being homophobic but homophobia isn't "libertarian" in any particular way. Libertarian doesn't seem like it matches up with her politics in any particular way at all. Is everyone bad just libertarian no matter what?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is libertarian just a random meaningless word then? She's clearly got huge issues with being homophobic but homophobia isn't "libertarian" in any particular way. Libertarian doesn't seem like it matches up with her politics in any particular way at all. Is everyone bad just libertarian no matter what?

They do not actually support Gabbard. The only things connected with her they would like are her rampant homophobia and islamophobia.

EDIT: It should also be noted that expecting coherence or consistency from libertarians is foolish from the start.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 9, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feinne posted:

They do not actually support Gabbard.

This feel like extreme next level galaxy brain stuff.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This feel like extreme next level galaxy brain stuff.

That they say they support someone they do not actually support, because they are just Trump voters self-aware enough to understand that they personally will suffer a social cost from vocal Trump support?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Feinne posted:

They do not actually support Gabbard. The only things connected with her they would like are her rampant homophobia and islamophobia.

What you are saying is pretty clear.

lovely Libertarians that won't publicly support trump try and find "reasonable" candidates to throw up a facade of support for. Tulsi is getting this treatment by many alt-light figures. It doesn't matter what Tulsi is, as they don't actually support her.
I've seen this personally with my libertarian friends arguing that the democrats should nominate someone more reasonable than Bernie. When asked if they would vote for that "reasonable" choice the answer is almost always no.

Libertarians are Republicans to ashamed of to admit it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cicero posted:

I'm not. It's not every tech company, but the big software/internet ones in the news like Google, FB, Amazon, MS, etc. yeah they're Asian as hell. Which is fine, it's mostly just a result of having a lot of immigrants from Asia.

the way i worded that was a bit more aggressive then i meant it looking back at that post, I didn't think you were lying I just didn't have the capacity to look it up at the time to make sure. Luckily other people came in with links confirming what you said!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Feinne posted:

That they say they support someone they do not actually support, because they are just Trump voters self-aware enough to understand that they personally will suffer a social cost from vocal Trump support?

This is the exact sort of reality warping I'm talking about, are you afraid you'd literally die if you admitted a programmer wasn't libertarian? Like literally they name what politician they support and by not being libertarian that is double special secret proof they are double libertarian? Like what does someone need to do? be in a poly marriage with marx and bernie sanders? Or would that be even more proof the person was actually actually libertarian too?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What effect causes that to never be a thing that is ever reflected in any actual data or survey or voting pattern?

Hey, maybe it's this

Tarezax posted:

Almost all the younger folks are super liberal but keep our politics mostly on the DL because of the above dudes.

I can totally imagine young people who try to fit in the conservative status quo at their job but go full Che in the polls, when their manager isn't watching

this is just supporting anecdote with conjecture tho :shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ruffian Price posted:

I can totally imagine young people who try to fit in the conservative status quo at their job but go full Che in the polls, when their manager isn't watching

But like, every single survey, every single round up of how people vote, both self reported and demographic based and like every single round up of public information on donations show like absolutely and definitively that there isn't the conservative status quo. It's a thing people made up, and just seem to be unable to exist if it's not the case and there isn't some vast global coverup hiding it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Maybe part of the problem is that people who pick their degrees (not necessarily careers) purely for the money tend to be jerks about it? “Can’t get a job? Shoulda majored in CS,” was a frequent refrain during the Great Recession on Reddit and probably soured a lot of us towards techies in general.

It helps that people’s views tend to gradually change after they get a real job after college and stop drinking the startup Kool-aid. One of my friends was shocked and humbled when he got his first real job and his oh-so innovative company president turned out to be an idiot when it came to managing the developers or even understanding how his product worked.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Libertarianism probably had greater representation during the early dot com days but the current rank and file don’t stand out. However it can become highly visible when a company assembles a highly libertarian bent team due to the severity of the antics (and it is not Libertarianism per se, but the compatibility of a certain collection of ideologies/core frameworks that are similar in shaping behavior). In tech leadership I think there is high intersectionality with the entrepreneurial “culture” and the core of Libertarian philosophy, but I think it is another visibility thing because most CEOs are not Twitter idols and personality cult leaders despite how the outsized personalities warp perception.

It is also hard to accurately distinguish Libertarianism as an identity in the US due to its lack of autonomous political identity/low cohesive culture that pushes Libertarians to the fringe or to blend with a bigger tent (which leads to OOCC staunchly defending against the unjust attacks upon the honor of anyone and any group whose honor is besmirched by those who misjudge the rocket powered goalposts waiting to ignite). But in all fairness, it is probably too loosely applied as a catch-all for the themes of deregulation and rediscovery in common tech cultures. That isn’t uniquely Linertarian.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

archangelwar posted:

Libertarianism probably had greater representation during the early dot com days but the current rank and file don’t stand out. However it can become highly visible when a company assembles a highly libertarian bent team due to the severity of the antics (and it is not Libertarianism per se, but the compatibility of a certain collection of ideologies/core frameworks that are similar in shaping behavior). In tech leadership I think there is high intersectionality with the entrepreneurial “culture” and the core of Libertarian philosophy, but I think it is another visibility thing because most CEOs are not Twitter idols and personality cult leaders despite how the outsized personalities warp perception.

It is also hard to accurately distinguish Libertarianism as an identity in the US due to its lack of autonomous political identity/low cohesive culture that pushes Libertarians to the fringe or to blend with a bigger tent (which leads to OOCC staunchly defending against the unjust attacks upon the honor of anyone and any group whose honor is besmirched by those who misjudge the rocket powered goalposts waiting to ignite). But in all fairness, it is probably too loosely applied as a catch-all for the themes of deregulation and rediscovery in common tech cultures. That isn’t uniquely Linertarian.

Libertarianism is big with the Crypto-Currency/Blockchain Bois.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VideoGameVet posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, at least for the “true believers” rather than the speculators. I have actually been surprised by the political diversity of the speculators I know, but they do all share a crippling gambling habit so I guess there is that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You don't have to be libertarian to be entrepreneurial. Sweden and Denmark are both fairly entrepreneurial societies even with their strong safety nets and other egalitarian policies. At least social democracy as an ideology doesn't fundamentally have a problem with small businesses and startups as long as they're following regulations and whatnot.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Cicero posted:

You don't have to be libertarian to be entrepreneurial. Sweden and Denmark are both fairly entrepreneurial societies even with their strong safety nets and other egalitarian policies. At least social democracy as an ideology doesn't fundamentally have a problem with small businesses and startups as long as they're following regulations and whatnot.

I didn’t say you have to be Libertarian to be entrepreneurial, I said that it shares common traits with typical belief frameworks/ideologies that are common in tech entrepreneurs (specifically American tech entrepreneurial culture, as commonly found in the Bay area). Deontological, embracing a simplistic set of first truths as the source of knowledge, branding ones identity as special/set apart from normalcy, reflective disdain of real or perceived barriers to progress along a chosen path, actively resisting critique or challenge of key assumptions/core beliefs. These are the types of beliefs and qualities that you see plastered all over entrepreneur meetups, clubs, coaching, spiritual guidance, etc that caters to the culture. It doesn’t make one a Libertarian, but it can definitely quack like one at times.

Your example of Scandinavian entrepreneurism is actually one of my favorite illustrations of how wrong headed it is to over-estimate the contribution of the above traits to “success” and the negative impact of hero worship on progress.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

VideoGameVet posted:

Then they get robbed and the universe tries to unsuccessfully teach them why financial regulations should exist.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cicero posted:

Sure, but as someone from Sweden, let me tell ya that there are few things entrepreneurs here hate more than the evil social democrat nanny state and its oppressive taxes and regulations (which doesn't stop them from crying for help from the state when it suits them tho, of course). Startups and the like do attract libertarian nutjobs, bitcoiners and Tesla enthusiasts for sure (I've known a few), but the rank and file usually tends to be somewhat indifferently supportive of the social democratic system like most people who are well-off tend to be here. They're politically apathetic more than anything - the system works well enough for them and they're not lacking for anything, so they don't care that much.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1126904119346778112

quote:

Few firms of Uber’s stature have stumbled so badly out of the gate as a public company. Other well-known tech brands, from Facebook to Snap to Alibaba to Lyft, all rose on their initial trades. Since 2000, only 18 companies valued at more than $1 billion and listing on American exchanges have opened below their I.P.O. price. On average, stocks have jumped — or “popped,” in Wall Street parlance — 21 percent on their first day of trading over the past 24 years, according to Dealogic.

Oops.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is the consensus that the VC in Uber is forcing an IPO to cash out for greener pastures?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Amazon, which is racing to deliver packages faster, is turning to its employees with a proposition: Quit your job and we'll help you start a business delivering Amazon packages.

I could swear I read a Japanese business novel with a similar premise.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Is the consensus that the VC in Uber is forcing an IPO to cash out for greener pastures?
I don't know how the later investors made out (would like to know about the Saudi Arabian gov't stake) but yeah some the earlier investors must be excited to cash out... not sure many of them actually can for ~6 months though. That said, I think it was less invested-VCs pulling strings and more that not-invested-VCs were scared of the company's prospects, and so the company had to go after dumber money to stay solvent.

edit: sorry that post changed course 3 times each sentence. Basically, I'm sure most of the Uber-VCs are excited to cash out for the same reason other VCs want no part of Uber at current valuation and for the same reason the company wanted to go public. The company is looking bad without coming through on the self-driving car moonshot or getting larger cities to replace their public transit with Uber moonshot or some other moonshot.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 13, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uber's down 11% as of midday. Usually the VCs have an agreement to prop up the stock for a few days after the IPO; I'm surprised that isn't happening. Or maybe they're trying and can't afford it.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I’m loving the endless variations of having employees but not having to follow any laws about breaks or overtime or pay or benefits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gee, I wonder why there's been a sudden surge in unionization. :thermidor:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uber's down 11% as of midday. Usually the VCs have an agreement to prop up the stock for a few days after the IPO; I'm surprised that isn't happening. Or maybe they're trying and can't afford it.
I knew Uber's star was dimming but I hadn't really realized how much:
https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1127973069354565632

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm more interested to see how Slack fares in June.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If funding for Uber and lyft dry up what will that mean for the pseudo taxi market? Are we just going to see prices spike if VC funding dries up and these companies suddenly have to make profits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Squalid posted:

If funding for Uber and lyft dry up what will that mean for the pseudo taxi market? Are we just going to see prices spike if VC funding dries up and these companies suddenly have to make profits?

That or some kind of comical bitcoin exchange style exit scam where employees come in to work one day and the building has been stripped down overnight.