Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Prong Song posted:

or would you rather have a firearm, ready to shoot the guy though the door when he starts knocking it down, scaring them off/killing them, protecting yourself and your loved ones?

The Prong Song posted:

And it's not a "save the day" fantasy - and trying to link my arguments to daydreams of being a hero is just intentionally being insulting. I'm not going to willingly put myself into the position of not being able to use equatable force to defend myself.

Those two statements are at odds.

quote:

This is the part I just don't get. Are you convinced that there is a 100% chance nobody will every use a firearm to commit a crime against you or your family, or are you 99% sure and willing to just let the 1% happen?

You need better resolution. There isn't a 100% chance that the plane you are on won't crash. There is a 1 in 11,000,000 chance that a plane you are on won't crash. A firearm crime against you or your family is going to be deep into the 99.9999x% against the occurrence in the same vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I should probably add that she never got the gun, but she has taken several classes since then. I'm just a dumb Democrat anyway, I don't know anything :shrug:

Speaking of dumb, I've been handling new-hire onboarding at work for the last year or so, and this one oval office downstairs just can't get it through her patchouli-smelling-rear end head that she needs to get the candidate on our hiring website, send background check/drug test info, WAIT for the poo poo to come back and WAIT for Corporate to approve the hire and God damnit, TELL me when this person is starting so I can accommodate my schedule to get them on-boarded. I've told her this at least 6 times now, because she keeps hiring random un-approved people and I don't know about it until I see someone I don't know working two days later. Just got a call from a sales manager this morning, "Hey, so-and-so is supposedly starting today, and is here, and Manager isn't yet, should I send her up for onboarding?" ":what: I literally have no idea who you're talking about, so no. Bye."

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

No, they aren't. Being prepared to defend myself is not having some daydream of being a hero. One implies that I'm prepared for a rare event to happen, the same way I have flood insurance when I'm in a >100 year flood zone; the other implies that I'm carrying a gun around, just waiting and hoping for anything to happen so I can whip my gun out and get all the adoration and press that I not-so-secretly slaver after.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Agreed. Also, if someone starts beating down my door (which they won't be doing because I don't lock my doors while I'm home because I'm not paranoid), I'm going to use the earlier thread tactic of "let them take my stuff and file an insurance claim about it."

The Prong Song posted:

No, they aren't. Being prepared to defend myself is not having some daydream of being a hero. One implies that I'm prepared for a rare event to happen, the same way I have flood insurance when I'm in a >100 year flood zone; the other implies that I'm carrying a gun around, just waiting and hoping for anything to happen so I can whip my gun out and get all the adoration and press that I not-so-secretly slaver after.

Why are you planning for someone trying to kill you? Nobody is coming to murder you and your family. They will be coming to steal your guns and sell them for drug money though. Probably when nobody is home.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Prong Song posted:

No, they aren't. Being prepared to defend myself is not having some daydream of being a hero.

"and your loved ones." Because you are the tough guy with a gun protecting those innocent unprotected lives.

KillHour posted:

Agreed. Also, if someone starts beating down my door (which they won't be doing because I don't lock my doors while I'm home because I'm not paranoid), I'm going to use the earlier thread tactic of "let them take my stuff and file an insurance claim about it."

Agreed. That's what insurance is for. Take any thing I have, it's replaceable, and covered.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

KillHour posted:

(which they won't be doing because I don't lock my doors while I'm home because I'm not paranoid)

Completely off-topic, my friend and his wife do this in the middle of the day when they're expecting people over and it's v. annoying to have to wait ten seconds for them to open the door for me

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I think at the very least we can agree that more stringent restrictions on handgun access, proper training being required to obtain a purchase license, and minimum safe storage requirements would all go a long way.

Think 2/3 of what Booker is proposing and you're on the right track.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

MC Hawking posted:

I think at the very least we can agree that more stringent restrictions on handgun access, proper training being required to obtain a purchase license, and minimum safe storage requirements would all go a long way.

Think 2/3 of what Booker is proposing and you're on the right track.
No. We can't *all* agree with that.

Rights should be equal access across the board, for everybody. If showing an ID to vote is too onerous and racist, it's too onerous and racist to buy a gun too. And it is in both cases.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

T-Square posted:

Completely off-topic, my friend and his wife do this in the middle of the day when they're expecting people over and it's v. annoying to have to wait ten seconds for them to open the door for me

As someone who lived in a big city you lock your poo poo. Period. Sorry you have to wait 10 seconds.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Federally subsidized weapons and ammunition for all US citizens.

If the folks in countries we're bombing get billions of dollars of weapons and ammunition thrown their way, why don't we get a cut of the action?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Where does that hero fantasy come from and why do gun nuts always rush to bring it out when trying to defend gun ownership?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

No. We can't *all* agree with that.

Rights should be equal access across the board, for everybody. If showing an ID to vote is too onerous and racist, it's too onerous and racist to buy a gun too. And it is in both cases.

One of those things is necessary for a legitimate democracy to function the other is not. Care to tell the class which one is which?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KillHour posted:

That help explain it?

:911:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Where does that hero fantasy come from and why do gun nuts always rush to bring it out when trying to defend gun ownership?

Because "My murder toys are fun" stopped being a convincing argument.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

How are you supposed to show ID if you vote by postal ballot?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

How are you supposed to show ID if you vote by postal ballot?

Many states require you to prove you can't vote in person in order to vote absentee. This is definitely not a blatant attempt at voter disenfranchisement and is necessary to ensure voting integrity.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looking a Wikipedia it's interesting to see that while the US are leading in the guns per capita, Finland has more registered firearms than the US (by half a million), but the US apparently has 392,273,257 unregistered firearms vs Finland's 250,604.
The US have 4.46 homicides by firearm per 100,000 while Finland has 0.32.

That begs the question, do all firearms in the US need to be registered or is it only a certain group of firearms?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Looking a Wikipedia it's interesting to see that while the US are leading in the guns per capita, Finland has more registered firearms than the US (by half a million), but the US apparently has 392,273,257 unregistered firearms vs Finland's 250,604.
The US have 4.46 homicides by firearm per 100,000 while Finland has 0.32.

That begs the question, do all firearms in the US need to be registered or is it only a certain group of firearms?

No, the US doesn't require you to register your guns individually. Also, that's not what "begs the question" means.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Finland also has significantly higher gun homicides per capita than the rest of western Europe iirc

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Finland also has significantly higher gun homicides per capita than the rest of western Europe iirc

I'd still walk over broken glass to get their system here.

My kingdom for a horse, etc.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KillHour posted:

No, the US doesn't require you to register your guns individually. Also, that's not what "begs the question" means.

Ok. Regardless of proper use of the phrase, 392,273,257 unregistered firearms is pretty drat insane and it's pretty interesting that the number of registered firearms is so low. Is it hard to do this? Perhaps if every firearm had to be registered, it would be a barrier of entry for many that shouldn't have weapons?

What kind of firearms need to be registered?

fridge corn posted:

Checking wiki, apparently Serbia, Greece, Portugal, Italy and Bulgaria have higher homocide by firearm numbers. Serbua has a higher amount of guns per capita, Greece a bit lower. Suicides using firearms are highest though.

VVV: Lol no wonder you are all hosed when it comes to guns.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 9, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ok. Regardless of proper use of the phrase, 392,273,257 unregistered firearms is pretty drat insane and it's pretty interesting that the number of registered firearms is so low. Is it hard to do this? Perhaps if every firearm had to be registered, it would be a barrier of entry for many that shouldn't have weapons?

What kind of firearms need to be registered?

Oh, you sweet summer child.

quote:

There is no comprehensive national system of gun registration. In fact, federal law prohibits the use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to create any system of registration of firearms or firearm owners.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/gun-owner-responsibilities/registration/#federal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Meth addicts don't give a poo poo what time it is. Lock your goddamned doors even if you're home.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Meth addicts don't give a poo poo what time it is. Lock your goddamned doors even if you're home.

I don't live in Appalachia, but thanks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hey you guys - the conversation is interesting, I get that it's a personal thing, but it is better when you guys aren't sniping :mmmhmm: at each other when making your points

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Neither does he :haw:

But :psyduck: at leaving your doors unlocked. Even if the unthinkable happens and we actually get sane gun laws here, a nutjob in your house is still a bad day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm a physical/operational security and risk consultant. Trust me when I say a locked residential door is going to do jack squat to protect me from the kind of psycho who would drive to the suburbs just to break into an occupied house. When I lived in an apartment, I locked my door just because drunks sometimes walk into the wrong apartment. It was me. I did that.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

One time I forgot my phone at said-friend's house and by the time I realized and went back for it they were gone, so I just hopped the fence to the backyard and opened their kitchen window and crawled in, and then told them they should lock their windows too. :shrug:

Please note that I've known both of them since 3rd grade, but probably still don't do that anyway.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KillHour posted:

I live close to it but meth is a problem everywhere. Shotgun talk buddies have Manellis? Some Italian shotgun or whatever that costs $2k that sounds stupid but holy crap shooting those is crazy accurate.

Anyways I just ordered 2 dozen oysters

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T-Square posted:

One time I forgot my phone at said-friend's house and by the time I realized and went back for it they were gone, so I just hopped the fence to the backyard and opened their kitchen window and crawled in, and then told them they should lock their windows too. :shrug:

Please note that I've known both of them since 3rd grade, but probably still don't do that anyway.

You only did that because you cared about not destroying their property to get inside. If I was robbing the place on PCP, I'd just break the window on the door if it had one or kick it down if it didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My father lives in what was one time rabies the safest town in Ohio to live in. Last year they had record break ins, car jackings and muggings. All drug related in the end. He had to buy new doors because of multiple dudes trying to kick their way in.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...when you need a gun to protect yourself but then have another gun in your house that someone could use against you so you buy another gun to protect yourself from someone grabbing that other gun then realise you then need another gun to protect you from those guns...

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1126270870610173953

Totally normal country. Like straight up, I'm not even sure the IRA had this many guns at the height of their activity.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

Is that the one we loaded up into your trailer? If it is, holy hell how did you get that fucker down to the basement without killing anybody? :stonkhat:

Yep. And gravity was on my side. Getting it up the 4 stairs into the house sucked, but rolling it down the stairs on an appliance dolly was easy enough. It definitely outweighs me threefold though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

KillHour posted:

This, like many things, varies by state, my Pistol is registered in my name, and the ballistics are linked to my fingerprints via my concealed carry permit, long arms are also required to be registered. Additionally, I'm liable for any crimes committed with firearms registered in my name, so if someone breaks into my home and steals my improperly secured firearms, or I lend them to my methhead cousin I'm liable for the crimes they commit.

Many states require pistol registration, but not long arms.

Calling for a firearm ban in the US is politically untenable, so the best we can hope for is gun control laws that limit illegal gun ownership. It would probably also help if gun control laws in general made more sense, some of the "military style attachment" laws serve no purpose but to make gun owners laugh at "them liberals".

The best protection against a tyrannical military cabal is a professional and ethnically/sexually diverse military, with strong civilian oversight, that are generally only armed while protecting assets Stateside or overseas in a conflict area, which the DOD is surprisingly good at, in general, but yeah, lol at the thought of your AR-15 with flashlight, scope and assorted tacticool accessories stopping a group of properly armed and trained infantry, much less a laser-guided Tomahawk or F-15 with a JDAM.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...when you need a gun to protect yourself but then have another gun in your house that someone could use against you so you buy another gun to protect yourself from someone grabbing that other gun then realise you then need another gun to protect you from those guns...

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1126270870610173953

Totally normal country. Like straight up, I'm not even sure the IRA had this many guns at the height of their activity.

That is insane, that's a LOT of loving money!

Edit: Pretty dope pair of Thompsons sitting in front of (I assume) the guy in question and the agent tho.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 9, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Go hug your doggos, guys. My parents boarded their dog when they came to visit a couple of weeks ago. He walked into the boarding place, and had to be carried out. He hasn't been able to walk since then. They don't think the staff did anything wrong, as their regular long-time vet runs the place; mom was suspecting he fell and broke a hip (he's been prone to falling a lot for the past couple of years). Yesterday he was whining a lot and panting, obviously in a lot of pain.

I'm not sure if they ever determined what happened, but I just got a text saying he had to be put down. :smith:

KillHour posted:

I'm a physical/operational security and risk consultant. Trust me when I say a locked residential door is going to do jack squat to protect me from the kind of psycho who would drive to the suburbs just to break into an occupied house. When I lived in an apartment, I locked my door just because drunks sometimes walk into the wrong apartment. It was me. I did that.

I've done that too... went into my downstairs neighbor's apartment when I was living on the 3rd floor, at least she wasn't home...

Ever since a bunch of college kids moved in across the hall, people are knocking on my door or trying to open it all the drat time. GIT OFF MAH LAWN.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
In completely unrelated news, I just learned that one of the kids in my son's daycare's father is seventy nine loving years old. :stare:

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

As someone that had a psycho kick his door in I gotta agree and say the locked door didn't particularly slow him down. I keep my doors locked because most property crimes are crimes of convenience and they'll take the path of least resistance. But if someone wants it, they'll take it. That's why I have insurance.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

bolind posted:

In completely unrelated news, I just learned that one of the kids in my son's daycare's father is seventy nine loving years old. :stare:

I didn't know 2030 year olds went to daycare.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I hear there are daycares for 79 year olds these days too