Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cosmosisjones posted:

I always enjoy the radical cures that make no sense and still cure you. Like the one where they pretty much seal you in with a roomful of bees to cure the flu or something.

Doctor, doctor I'm dying of cancer quick help!

The obvious answer is cut your dick off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having my best run yet. I cannot believe how smoothly the transition from my beloved expansionist long reign ruler to his daughter went. This is the biggest, strongest, calmest empire I've created and it feels so good.

Current religious standings

How the religions look

Current players

My realm(I started as Petty Kingdom of Connachta in 769)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I'm having my best run yet. I cannot believe how smoothly the transition from my beloved expansionist long reign ruler to his daughter went. This is the biggest, strongest, calmest empire I've created and it feels so good.

Current religious standings

How the religions look

Current players

My realm(I started as Petty Kingdom of Connachta in 769)

Is that catholic byzantium? Also ascendant buddhism? A very blessed run

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It went Catholic shortly after the crusades began. It was weird. Never seen that before.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

maybe it was dick cancer

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Something else odd sprung up. My king was mysteriously poisoned at like 80, game pops to the youngest son (still on Ultimogeniture). He has one kid, an illegitimate bastard, his current heir being his brother. I don't want that, so I legitimize Baby Bastard. He still isn't listed as heir, in spite of being the King's only kid. Is this just a thing where he has to be legitimate at birth or something in order to qualify for the throne, acknowledging him later doesn't matter?

The game can take a while to recalculate inheritance, did the issue fix itself or is your brother still your heir?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're not on ironman you can use the console command recalc_succ <Character ID> to update succession for a character.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Torrannor posted:

The game can take a while to recalculate inheritance, did the issue fix itself or is your brother still your heir?

Same situation after letting a few months go by. I even threw the bastard a random county just to see if that would do anything. Nada, he still isn't on the inheritance list.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Same situation after letting a few months go by. I even threw the bastard a random county just to see if that would do anything. Nada, he still isn't on the inheritance list.

Can you show us screenshots of your brother and your bastard?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My game has been acting a bit fucky as well. My last ruler's rank up to conversus got stuck in the mail and when I switched to primogeniture, somehow my second son was still the heir to Ireland.

He ended up dying in personal combat, unfortunately. He was a Brian genus, so the plan was to kill off the first son, somehow. Thankfully the primary heir ain't too shabby, so the loss of the genius didnt hurt as much.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

King

Former Bastard

King's Brother/current heir

Line of inheritance (that would start with the King's brother, the former bastard is not on the list)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Issue might be that your son is a prince-bishop?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Former Bastard

As cargohills mentioned, your former bastard can't inherit because monks/bishops/cardinals are disqualified from inheritance. Revoke his counties, that will make him your heir.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, he started out with Iona when kingship popped to me, I gave him Somerset to see what it would do. Both of which have churches as their capitals, I assume that's causing the cross-title.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, he started out with Iona when kingship popped to me, I gave him Somerset to see what it would do. Both of which have churches as their capitals, I assume that's causing the cross-title.

It is. If only Iona had a bishopric as capital, but Somerset had a castle instead, he would become a feudal ruler just from revoking Iona. But you have to take away both titles if you want him to inherit.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And somehow it works.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And another slight hiccup. I was able to take Iona away from sonny boy, but the game forbids me from revoking Somerset as it doesn't fall under England's revocation laws. I...have no idea why this would matter, I'm considered his liege, not the shattered remnants of England. But so it goes.

Honestly this would all probably be easier served if the king just plopped out another kid, but his wife is too old for it, the pope won't let me divorce her, I can't kill her without getting Kinslayer (not even quite sure how she's related to him, but apparently she is), and she's been in the Oubliette for five years without dying. Woof.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2019

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Would it be possible to convert Iona's capital to a castle and then give it back to him so he's holding a normal feudal title?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He would be back in line for inheritance if he owned a normal title and the prince-bishop title? Because I have assloads of spare counties to throw around if that's the case.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
No he'll just hold them as a bishop afaik

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So as a man who has a very tenuous handle on the game's mechanics, would it be worth it to start playing tutorial style games with zero DLC, just to wrap my head around the "base" game? Or is this a game that, similar to Civilization, is altered so much with the DLC that I'd need to re-learn it all anyway?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

chaosapiant posted:

So as a man who has a very tenuous handle on the game's mechanics, would it be worth it to start playing tutorial style games with zero DLC, just to wrap my head around the "base" game? Or is this a game that, similar to Civilization, is altered so much with the DLC that I'd need to re-learn it all anyway?

I'd recommend using Way of Life at least.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
he's defined by what his primary title is, and the only way to make sure his primary title goes feudal is to disenfranchise him entirely and then re-land him.

considering your king's relatively young age and the mediocrity of baby bastard i would just get your marriage sorted out right (your wife is in jail right now, if that's for a good reason or she is infertile then get rid of her, if it's not then release her and get to baby making) and let sleeping dogs lie. you've already gone through a lot of trouble for this kid and you're still at a substantial mechanical disadvantage. your heir is still a dynast, so while it's nonideal it's far from the worst case scenario. your bases are essentially covered at the immediate moment, so i'd wash my hands of the situation and start building again.

chaosapiant posted:

i would say just dive in with full dlc (inasmuch as you should play with as much as you have, not all the DLC is required by a very long shot). the tricky part about this game is that the game is 90-95% the same in terms of interactions and abilities totally in vanilla, but because of how the game is set up, one decision to do one thing in the year 800 can drastically affect the state of the world in the year 900.

monks and mystics, for example, gives you the societies, right? well in the year 800, you choose to join the hermetic society. in 20 years, you have maxed out your standing in the society and write a magnum opus. you focus on the universal panacea and get the best version of it, which is +1 health for as long as it's active in your character's library. because of that, in the year 900, your genius great-grandchild survives a bout of camp fever when they are 35 and lives for another 40 years and establishes an empire rather than dying young and preventing you from getting that goal done for another 3 generations.

better understanding the 'vanilla' mechanics will not help you prepare for or foresee these things. you just have to crash into these situations and analyze them relentlessly. that's kind of the reason why this game stands head and shoulders above all other paradox games, what you do today will absolutely affect in a giant way what will be true 100 years from now. if there's a human alive that can process and predict things on that scale i haven't met them yet, so the best you can do is dive in and absorb what you can.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 9, 2019

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

It's sort of inbetween; a small handful are "required" but the rest are just flavorful if you decide you like the game (e.g. sons of abraham). Going by the second post under the OP I would recommend all 4 under strongly recommended:

quote:

Strongly recommended DLCs, buy these!

-The Old Gods: Unlocks pagans and Zoroastrians, which is the largest expansion of playable characters with different play styles of any DLC. Gives you the 867 start date, which is one of the two best start dates (the other is the default 1066 start date). If you like CK2 at all, you should get it. But it's worth noting that both pagans and Zoroastrians can be difficult. Norse pagans (vikings) are actually among the most powerful characters you can play, but the start can be a bit tricky. It's easy for an experienced players to deal with it and then steamroll everything else, but it's not recommended for new players. Do a Catholic start first. But this is still the best DLC to date, giving you the most bang for your buck while also unlocking really fun characters. It's a joy to burn down half of Italy as a viking. Get this if you have fun with CK2.

-Way of Life: Unlocks choosing a character's focus, enormously expanding peacetime gameplay. You can use the war focus to improve your martial capabilities and duel chars you don't like, choose the business focus to build a big tower or open a trade route, have parties with other characters with the carousing focus, gently caress half of Europe with the seduction focus (and so produce a lot of bastards that you can legitimize if needed, or get a rival's wife on your side so she helps you poisoning him), etc. This is the second best DLC, it really helps with immersion and also gives you more stuff to do between wars. This is perfect even for people just starting to play CK2, it simply makes the game that much better.

-Conclave: This DLC has comparatively bad reviews, but mainly due to the features introduces to the base game by the free patch released alongside Conclave. There are game rules now to turn of those features, but they have nothing to do with the DLC itself. Conclave is really good. It overhauls realm laws and the council, introduces favors and changes the education system. This massively improves the vassal management experience. It empowers the stronger vassals against their lieges, but at the same time gives those rulers more tools to manage their vassals. This is great both when playing the top liege or playing as a vassal. It makes managing the realm much more involved. This is not strictly recommended for new players, due to the increased complexity. But once you have a basic idea how CK2 works, this is absolutely recommended.

-Holy Fury: The presumably last CK2 DLC is among the best Paradox ever released. Introduces the massively popular shattered world and random world features, where you can either shatter the various countries into their constituent duchies or even counties, while leaving culture and religion alone. Or you can fully randomize the world, with made up cultures and religions on top. Massively increases the already great replay value of the game. It introduces warrior lodges, a new kind of society for pagans, focused on warmongering and dueling. Makes hellenic pagans playable and updates them to be in line with the other pagan faiths. Gives access to bloodlines, both in form of the legendary bloodlines of Charlemagne, Saladin, Attila or Ragnarr Lodbrok, to the ability to earn a bloodline through legendary deeds, or (once per dynasty) founding a bloodline through a special ambition. Introduces sainthood for Christian characters, unlocks special crusades (like the Fourth Crusade against the Byzantines, the Northern Crusades against the Baltic pagans or the Children's Crusade), gives players a special decision to start the Iberian Reconquista, introduces coronations for Catholics. There's also an absolutely massive pagan reformation overhaul, where players can customize the religion upon reformation. This DLC is a must have for every CK2 player, it's that good.

And of those four, if you only want to get one at a time for whatever reason, I would rank them thus in order of importance to base gameplay:
1. Way of Life
2. Conclave
3. Holy Fury
4. Old Gods

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Which DLC contains the war chest? Trying to follow the tutorial off of the wiki, but it suggests starting with “war chest” ambition, which I can’t find.

Edit: or is there a vanilla tutorial that can help me learn the game before I invest into the rest of the DLC?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Torrannor posted:

It is. If only Iona had a bishopric as capital, but Somerset had a castle instead, he would become a feudal ruler just from revoking Iona. But you have to take away both titles if you want him to inherit.

Is that always true? I've had a lot of problems where ex-priests are locked into having theocracies no matter what titles they have.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

virinvictus posted:

Which DLC contains the war chest? Trying to follow the tutorial off of the wiki, but it suggests starting with “war chest” ambition, which I can’t find.

Edit: or is there a vanilla tutorial that can help me learn the game before I invest into the rest of the DLC?

war chest requires the conclave DLC

the game itself has a tutorial where you are king alfonso of leon, that was made in vanilla and is still 100% applicable.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

if you install way of life (lifestyles own) and conclave (better council mechanics) that would be all the dlc i recommend. both of these dlc give you stuff to do that isn't trying to gain/press claims or do wars or build things

you can go into it vanilla and be just fine, none of the dlc really adds anything essential

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually have all the DLC, so I’ll just leave it enabled then and let my game cruise and see what kinda poo poo I can get into. Thanks for the tips!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If Holy Fury really is the last DLC maybe they’ll do a Gold version? That’s how I ended up buying HOI3 I think?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I'd recommend using Way of Life at least.

Way of Life + Conclave.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

If your thinking of the DLC in Civ terms, I’d say conclave is more game altering than Way of Life. Way of life adds a lot of fun stuff on top of the base game, but Conclave changes base mechanics like vassal management enough that if you start with base you’ll need to forget what you just learned.

I don’t think Way of Life adds enough that it would be overwhelming to a new player, but if you really want to start with the minimum possible, I’d do conclave, but both would be the most fun.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

If your thinking of the DLC in Civ terms, I’d say conclave is more game altering than Way of Life. Way of life adds a lot of fun stuff on top of the base game, but Conclave changes base mechanics like vassal management enough that if you start with base you’ll need to forget what you just learned.

I don’t think Way of Life adds enough that it would be overwhelming to a new player, but if you really want to start with the minimum possible, I’d do conclave, but both would be the most fun.

Agreed, in hindsight I would probably switch 1 and 2 on my importance list.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
drat I just started up a new game and picked the Hunting focus on my first ruler then killed the White Stag first try 2 years in, lucky s.o.b.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Zohar posted:

drat I just started up a new game and picked the Hunting focus on my first ruler then killed the White Stag first try 2 years in, lucky s.o.b.

I have +1200 hours, never killed the stag. I have been satan, immortal, wolf, insane lover of glitterhoof, imbecile but never killed that godamn stag.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

he's defined by what his primary title is, and the only way to make sure his primary title goes feudal is to disenfranchise him entirely and then re-land him.

considering your king's relatively young age and the mediocrity of baby bastard i would just get your marriage sorted out right (your wife is in jail right now, if that's for a good reason or she is infertile then get rid of her, if it's not then release her and get to baby making) and let sleeping dogs lie. you've already gone through a lot of trouble for this kid and you're still at a substantial mechanical disadvantage. your heir is still a dynast, so while it's nonideal it's far from the worst case scenario. your bases are essentially covered at the immediate moment, so i'd wash my hands of the situation and start building again.
Yeah, the issue is the wife is drat near impossible to be rid of. She's too old to pop out any more kids, but she can't be divorced (pope doesn't like me), is strangely nigh-immune to assassination plotting (in spite of her intrigue not being anything special), can't be executed without eating Kinslayer, and she's survived the Oubliette for five years running.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I have +1200 hours, never killed the stag. I have been satan, immortal, wolf, insane lover of glitterhoof, imbecile but never killed that godamn stag.

I think I have once. It's one of those things where it requires so many rolls to go your way that it is very easy to see multiple playthroughs go by and not even get close to having it happen. Like even the immortality chain has a higher chance of success with good stats.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i'm attempting to finally get into these games because i love huge, bloated, extremely complex video games. i'm fiddling around in ireland and have managed to become a duke after 30 years or so, which is exciting. its very fun fiddling with all of the different mechanics even if i have absolutely no clue what im doing.

is there a goon discord for either CK2 or paradox strategy games in general or is the thread the most active place for discussion? im dumb and have a lot of questions all the time

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

i'm attempting to finally get into these games because i love huge, bloated, extremely complex video games. i'm fiddling around in ireland and have managed to become a duke after 30 years or so, which is exciting. its very fun fiddling with all of the different mechanics even if i have absolutely no clue what im doing.

is there a goon discord for either CK2 or paradox strategy games in general or is the thread the most active place for discussion? im dumb and have a lot of questions all the time

it's a discord for my community rather than either of those things specifically but there are lots of CK2 and stellaris players in my own discord and i personally have been running a lot of instructional streams recently. here is the link, i'm pretty much always delighted to talk CK2 in depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good lord this game is dense to me. I'm just not getting the hang of it. I've tried doing the "tutorial island" thing with Ireland a few times while watching YouTube vids, but I end up just getting bored and moving on to another game. I can see there's an awesome game here if I can just get to it. I had one of those little information bubbles at the top say that I could press a claim, but when I clicked it, it took me to that characters screen and there were not options to press a claim. I did find claim/title options under my "realm" control panel however. I also am not sure how to tell at a glance what my armies are doing (in this case I'm playing as Stannis in the Got mod) and how to move them around if needed.