Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EdEddnEddy posted:

That's the thing.

Minimal downtime = Minimal heat cycles = technically less wear.

yeah there are a lot of horror stories about ex-mining cards from the most recent mining boom but almost no verified instances. Its nearly always people talking about the potential problems.

My small sample size of 9ish definitely ex-mining GPUs I purchased have all been fine. You just need to do the basic steps of checking to see if the fans work and it doesnt run hot, benchmarking to see if its performing in spec, and maybe checking the firmware if its AMD. I havent even had to repaste but it certainly would help just about any used GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I think a lot of the fear is from older generations where people were flashing VBIOSes that did push the cards very hard, and a "common sense approach" that assumes more hours on = more wear. The VBIOS issue hasn't really been a thing for a generation or two, and as has been noted, the only thing long, constant hours are going to wear out are the fans. I would happily buy an ex-mining card if the discount was good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just wanted to double check my understanding of GPU boost because I can't rationalize what I'm seeing.

GPU is an EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra with the EVGA hybrid cooler on it. So I'm trying to figure out now that I have the hybrid cooler where I should be setting my fan curve points such that I get good cooling/performance at a tolerable fan noise level. Am I correct in saying that modern nVidia GPUs don't throttle until 80C? There shouldn't be any benefit to targeting 65C over 70C right? Or 60C over 65C? So far with the stock fan curve setting (MSI afterburner although I feel like the fan curve default is probably driven by the card BIOS) I'd creep slowly up to about 70C in games after hours of playing. The fans would be inaudible at around 55% speed at that time. Just to see what the range was I bumped the fans to 100% speed and let the game sit open and it dropped to around 62C after 20 min or so (it would probably drop another few deg if I left it an hour because the whole loop needs to be cooled back down). There was no difference in clock speeds or vcore at 70C and 62C.

I've always seen like everyone else that you get this initial spike in clock speed and voltage draw when you start a benchmark or game or w/e and then it sorta settles down ~30-50MHz less than that, before it gets anywhere near to 80C. Is there any way to keep these levels at the high point? Is this related to temp?

TIA for the sanity check.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's the opposite. Older gens used to go from boost to base abruptly, Pascal and later throttle smoothly along a curve as they get warmer and warmer so there's no "cliff" where you get hot enough and suddenly start stuttering.

At least as of Pascal, NVIDIA cards start throttling a very little bit as low as 60C (that "settles down 30-50 MHz" bit) , in the 70s you are getting reduced from the 2100s down to 2000s or 1900s, by 80C you are getting down below that.

My 1080 starts out in the high 40s and settles in the low 50s with an H75/G10 kit, but obviously that's a much smaller GPU than a 2080 Ti.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 9, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DrDork posted:

I think a lot of the fear is from older generations where people were flashing VBIOSes that did push the cards very hard, and a "common sense approach" that assumes more hours on = more wear. The VBIOS issue hasn't really been a thing for a generation or two, and as has been noted, the only thing long, constant hours are going to wear out are the fans. I would happily buy an ex-mining card if the discount was good.

It makes little sense anyway since most miners are obsessed with energy consumption which means they will undervolt their cards.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's the opposite. Older gens used to go from boost to base abruptly, Pascal and later throttle smoothly along a curve as they get warmer and warmer so there's no "cliff" where you get hot enough and suddenly start stuttering.

At least as of Pascal, NVIDIA cards start throttling a very little bit as low as 60C (that "settles down 30-50 MHz" bit) , in the 70s you are getting reduced from the 2100s down to 2000s or 1900s, by 80C you are getting down below that.

My 1080 starts out in the high 40s and settles in the low 50s with an H75/G10 kit, but obviously that's a much smaller GPU than a 2080 Ti.

Oh very interesting - thank you for the post.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Palladium posted:

It makes little sense anyway since most miners are obsessed with energy consumption which means they will undervolt their cards.

The last few years, sure. In ye olden dayes, not really.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Palladium posted:

The people who were running farms, yes. The people who were mining with their gaming rig, especially if they weren't paying for power, not so much.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I've noticed that one or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 card "rattles" for a second or two when they spin up while gaming or spinning down when I quit a game. Should I be worried? I cleaned the dust out of my computer about a month ago and there was hardly any dust in or on the card but I hit it with some compressed air anyway to blow away the light amount of surface dust.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

Actually, 1080p30 on Vega56 isn't that impressive considering the GTX1070 gets similar performance in BF5 DXR without the aid of any RT hardware.

And that's exact triangle raytracing on all reflections, in a real flagship AAA game. Not sure what Crytek is bringing to the table then :/

Yeah if anything this bolsters the argument for requiring dedicated cores.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It's telling developers they could implement it now and let the hardware catch up. The alternative is wait for the next RTX refreshes, AMD functionality in their HW, and the next gen consoles.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

spasticColon posted:

I've noticed that one or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 card "rattles" for a second or two when they spin up while gaming or spinning down when I quit a game. Should I be worried? I cleaned the dust out of my computer about a month ago and there was hardly any dust in or on the card but I hit it with some compressed air anyway to blow away the light amount of surface dust.

Sounds like a bearing that's slowly wearing out. The fan in question will eventually die. If you're still in warranty, you may be able to get it replaced. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much--dead fans aren't a huge issue for most cards, as you can source a replacement one without too much issue (or just zip-tie one you've got laying around on there if you really need to).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, my 1080 with an EKWB full cover block will throttle down a single boost bin when crossing over 50C (2025 MHz ---> 2012 MHz), can't really tell you where the next throttle point is because it never gets any warmer than that.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, my 1080 with an EKWB full cover block will throttle down a single boost bin when crossing over 50C (2025 MHz ---> 2012 MHz), can't really tell you where the next throttle point is because it never gets any warmer than that.

It must be in roughly 12.5 MHz increments, because I see 2000 and at lowest 1987 MHz below that on my 1080 Ti, and it hits 2037 and 2050 if the cooling is adequate. I need to find a way to make my case fans increase RPMs when the card gets hot. With a 9900k most games don’t seem to stress the CPU enough to get the case fans working very hard when just having the CPU temp as the deciding factor.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sergeant Steiner posted:

It must be in roughly 12.5 MHz increments, because I see 2000 and at lowest 1987 MHz below that on my 1080 Ti, and it hits 2037 and 2050 if the cooling is adequate. I need to find a way to make my case fans increase RPMs when the card gets hot. With a 9900k most games don’t seem to stress the CPU enough to get the case fans working very hard when just having the CPU temp as the deciding factor.

same

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Are there any fanless 1650 boards out there yet or do I have to wait?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Are there any fanless 1650 boards out there yet or do I have to wait?

Not yet. Considering they have the same TDP as the 1050Ti, and similar board layouts, I would expect something like the Pailt KalmX to show up eventually, though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

DrDork posted:

Sounds like a bearing that's slowly wearing out. The fan in question will eventually die. If you're still in warranty, you may be able to get it replaced. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much--dead fans aren't a huge issue for most cards, as you can source a replacement one without too much issue (or just zip-tie one you've got laying around on there if you really need to).

The rattling/buzzing noise isn't constant; it only makes the noise when the fans are in a certain RPM range and I can barely hear it make said noise. When the fans rev up to 50% and higher they are audible but there's no rattling/buzzing sound. I bought the card in August 2016 and EVGAs warranty is three years so the card is under warranty until this August but I really don't feel like RMAing it unless I have to such as if the video card itself dies. If only the fan(s) die I'll just zip tie some 120mm fans to it.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Let me stress the importance of using DDU when swapping graphics cards (NVidia to AMD). I was mad and dumb.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah I know benchmarks are just benchmarks but lmao:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/19296302/fs/19270775

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/sd/5543496/sd/5546181

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/sd/5543496/sd/5546181

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Would it make sense to grab a 1080Ti (specifically Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G) for 560$? I have 1080p 240Hz monitor but I don't necessarily look to max out the FPS. My CPU is the non-K i7-6700 and currently surviving on a GTX 970 mini.

e: added resolution

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 13, 2019

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This doesn't make a lot of sense. If the games you like are running acceptably, then no, don't buy it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Specifically, it depends on the games you play, but for modern games you’ll mostly be bottlenecked by the cpu (so get equivalent performance from a less powerful GPU, like a 2060) and for older or esports games, a less powerful GPU would still let you hit very high FPS (so again, mostly equivalent performance from the less powerful GPU).

I’d look up 1080p benchmarks for the games you play and then check the performance you can expect from your processor.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

6700+1080ti will be common enough that you can just youtube videos for gameplay on those two pieces of hardware for most any game and youll get irl benchmarks

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I understand. Right now most games still run acceptably for me but stuff like newer AssCreed games don't even reach 60 so I was considering upgrade. According to some lists I've seen 2060 or 1070 is recommended for 1080p at 144 FPS. Those are around 470 USD here while the 1080 Ti (tho used, of course) is only another 100 and performance-wise it's incomparable thus my original question. Being bottlenecked by CPU is not something I'm terribly worried because I tentatively plan to upgrade when Zen 2 is released.

If Navi delivers I'll probably grab that later on but reading the speculation on the last few pages doesn't really fill me with hope.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Also, would the answer change if we were talking about 144 Hz at 1440p? I'm still deciding whether to keep the 1080p monitor or return it and get a 1440p one.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Also, would the answer change if we were talking about 144 Hz at 1440p? I'm still deciding whether to keep the 1080p monitor or return it and get a 1440p one.

Going 1440 means your graphic card needs to push ~70% more pixels, but it all depends on the games. When checking benchmarks keep in mind that highest settings presets usually hurt the performance a lot for barely perceptible difference. For example I do ok with 1060 6GB (around 12%faster than your 970) with 3440x1440 screen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

lordfrikk posted:

I understand. Right now most games still run acceptably for me but stuff like newer AssCreed games don't even reach 60 so I was considering upgrade. According to some lists I've seen 2060 or 1070 is recommended for 1080p at 144 FPS. Those are around 470 USD here while the 1080 Ti (tho used, of course) is only another 100 and performance-wise it's incomparable thus my original question. Being bottlenecked by CPU is not something I'm terribly worried because I tentatively plan to upgrade when Zen 2 is released.

If Navi delivers I'll probably grab that later on but reading the speculation on the last few pages doesn't really fill me with hope.

Newer asscreeds perform like poo poo on any system, but it's my understanding that it's usually a CPU issue.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a similar dilemma getting a 2080 Ti to replace my 1080, I ultimately decided to stick with my 1080 because I wasn't having any performance desires yet. You can always get a better card when you finally get something that doesn't run well, that's my plan.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

ItBreathes posted:

Newer asscreeds perform like poo poo on any system, but it's my understanding that it's usually a CPU issue.

Anecdotal evidence, Origins (considered as the worst perfomance-wise) runs very well on my desktop , but it's a new I7-8700K with an older 1060 6Gb due to upgrade and in 1080p. And gosh how is this game beautiful.
Overkill CPU seems to be the solution.

Picardy Beet fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 13, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD has heard the demands of the enthusiast community loud and clear! More rebrands!!!

RX 540X becomes 630
RX 550X becomes 640

If you've never heard of the 540X or 550X, I think these are mobile parts that never got much/any traction when launched back in 2017.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-640-and-radeon-630-spotted-in-the-drivers

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cygni posted:

AMD has heard the demands of the enthusiast community loud and clear! More rebrands!!!

RX 540X becomes 630
RX 550X becomes 640

If you've never heard of the 540X or 550X, I think these are mobile parts that never got much/any traction when launched back in 2017.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-640-and-radeon-630-spotted-in-the-drivers

I thought those were all just Apple mostly/only models?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

the yeti posted:

Yeah I know benchmarks are just benchmarks but lmao:
If you aren't overclocking that CPU you should be because you're going to be CPU limited in many situations with that hardware.

I'm in a similar boat - 1080TI with a 3930K (6 core SB-E) - and even with a 4.4ghz overclock I'll see games like Insurgency Sandstorm run the GPU at ~60% usage while pegging one of the CPU cores at 100% at all times (I also had intermittent stuttering in that and a few other Unreal Engine games until I switched from a SATA to NVME SSD).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does anyone have that lecture by a youngish guy working at a semiconductor fab towards the beginning of the decade? Seemed like a good intro into the engineering from a great explainer, also that it got close to some stuff that was a trade secret at the time. Went through the the structure of transistors, how theyre fabbed, how fabs work, the sort of problems being worked on in the early 2010s

Edit: vvvvvvvvv thats it, thank you!

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 15, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Does anyone have that lecture by a youngish guy working at a semiconductor fab towards the beginning of the decade? Seemed like a good intro into the engineering from a great explainer, also that it got close to some stuff that was a trade secret at the time. Went through the the structure of transistors, how theyre fabbed, how fabs work, the sort of problems being worked on in the early 2010s

This one?
https://youtu.be/NGFhc8R_uO4

I think I got it from this forum.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but it looks sensible so I'll ask. I'm going overseas for a couple of weeks for work and would like to be able to do a bit of gaming in my downtime. I'll be taking my work laptop (Dell Latitude 7490) anyway, but I'm wondering if I can pack in some extra bits for gaming - primarily Forza 4 & Sekiro. AIUI the UHD620 will run both of these - albeit slowly - but I've got a spare GPU knocking around from my desktop which I might be able to repurpose.

Are the external GPU enclosures on the market any good? And is there a best choice for a portable one, ideally not much bigger than the GPU its enclosing? I only really want to take the one suitcase and I don't want to take the whole thing up with a massive, heavy, fragile gaming box...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Does the laptop have Thunderbolt 3? You need that for eGPU enclosures to work.

It looks like the Latitude 7490 can have TB3 but not every variant has it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
AFAIK 360 emulation isn't far enough along for Forza 4 to work yet. Depending on your budget buying Forza 7 might be a better option because it runs natively.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

repiv posted:

Does the laptop have Thunderbolt 3? You need that for eGPU enclosures to work.

It looks like the Latitude 7490 can have TB3 but not every variant has it.

On top of that you need to make sure the BIOS settings for TB3 are set to unrestricted or else you’ll get prompted for admin credentials when connecting anything new to that port. Unless your IT department made you a local admin, that would be a show stopper right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Ok, so to answer the questions so far:
- I've checked the BIOS and the laptop does have TB3
- I have permissions (as local admin) for connecting new TB devices so that all should work
- "Forza 4" above should read "Forza Horizon 4"