Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1126472761755488256?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
xposting

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
drat, they're right. lovely health insurance and no ability to collectively bargain on wages DOES mean more money for - hey, wait a minute

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

redleader posted:

but then why bother with old age care? letting them rot and die would be consistent with those values

There's already funds and people dedicated to caring for the prisoners, so it's pretty simple. Releasing them, sending them off to another prison, or sending them back to their countries is a lot of work that requires some kind of political will behind it.

It's a problem that the rest of the prison system has as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXnQz2CqzYg It's just part of how all those inmates are human beings who grow old and feeble like anyone else.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
pretty sure they’re all violent, savage predators just waiting to shank-rape you.

I saw a tv show once where the quiet old guy was the most dangerous. they wouldn’t just make that up

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

I saw a tv show once where the quiet old guy was the most dangerous. they wouldn’t just make that up

Quiet old guys run most of the world, so yes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
social media is blowing up right now over the latest youtuber drama

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

blow it all to hell

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Listen I know gossiping is lovely but also it's Really Funny

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

MaxieSatan posted:

drat, they're right. lovely health insurance and no ability to collectively bargain on wages DOES mean more money for - hey, wait a minute

The unions hosed themselves on this one. The fact that a majority of working americans see paying union dues as worse than government taxes isn't the company's fault.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MRC48B posted:

The unions hosed themselves on this one. The fact that a majority of working americans see paying union dues as worse than government taxes isn't the company's fault.

Yeah I'm sure it isnt the fault of the companies spending millions on buying politicians and anti-union propaganda. Its the unions fault for not winning the fight.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah I'm sure it isnt the fault of the companies spending millions on buying politicians and anti-union propaganda. Its the unions fault for not winning the fight.
Sincerely, the DNC

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm still waiting for the "pay per life" game. maybe "pay per save file/character" with permadeath

surely its around the corner and they'll sell the idea as a gimmick: its so immersive! every decision matters so much

That was literally kojima's original plan for metal gear solid. You got one Snake per box, and if he died you'd have to buy another Snake.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Aren't there a handful of major unions which're boomer-led FYGM shitshows, too?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

That was literally kojima's original plan for metal gear solid. You got one Snake per box, and if he died you'd have to buy another Snake.
:catstare:
Why does he not do that now? The publicity generated would make it both a best-seller and rare hard-to-find simultaneously.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

MRC48B posted:

Reagan and Thatcher started the process of destroying the union. It took bipartisan efforts but after 40 years they finally got both countries to the Gilded Age 2.0 hellhole.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Tubgoat posted:

Why does he not do that now? The publicity generated would make it both a best-seller and rare hard-to-find simultaneously.

Because it's gonna get cracked in less than a day

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Accretionist posted:

All of the skilled trade unions, yes.

Trabisnikof posted:

And the the unions fought back against propaganda by... *checks notes*

Electing organized crime goons like jimmy hoffa to leadership positions, looting the pension funds, failing to bridge the gap between white and blue collar orgs, and overseeing the largest drop in union enrollment ever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tino posted:

Reagan and Thatcher started the process of destroying the union. It took bipartisan efforts but after 40 years they finally got both countries to the Gilded Age 2.0 hellhole.

hosed up how they traveled back in time and started the process of destroying unions in the 70s, when union membership and power started to freefall

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MRC48B posted:

All of the skilled trade unions, yes.

And the the unions fought back against propaganda by... *checks notes*

Electing organized crime goons like jimmy hoffa to leadership positions, looting the pension funds, failing to bridge the gap between white and blue collar orgs, and overseeing the largest drop in union enrollment ever.

This is again such a pro-corporate version of history. Weird how you’re not mentioning how management would pay the mafia to control the union and use violence to take over leadership.

You’re basically smugly saying that “well maybe if the striking workers wanted to write history they shouldn’t have been gun down on strike.”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's been the project capital to destroy unions all along, no poo poo, but they built all their power in the era when the state would call in the national guard to straight up machinegun strikers and fell apart shortly after the big unions started becoming recognized as part of the political establishment, hard to say it's all cause management started pushing back and they couldn't take it.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:06 on May 9, 2019

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

This is again such a pro-corporate version of history. Weird how you’re not mentioning how management would pay the mafia to control the union and use violence to take over leadership.

You’re basically smugly saying that “well maybe if the striking workers wanted to write history they shouldn’t have been gun down on strike.”

And the pro-corp version is the widespread consensus, why is that? The unions put forth no enduring counter-message.

What i am smugly saying is that the workers should have kept striking, instead of rolling over. Their parents didn't in the 30s. I guess because they didn't have as much to lose.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

beff jeezos is planning his escape from global warming death

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1126528640848732160

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MRC48B posted:

And the pro-corp version is the widespread consensus, why is that? The unions put forth no enduring counter-message.

What i am smugly saying is that the workers should have kept striking, instead of rolling over. Their parents didn't in the 30s. I guess because they didn't have as much to lose.

Your history of the labor movement is incredibly flawed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

pay your loving workers more you gently caress

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Taintrunner posted:

the Idiots on Social Media thread caught me up with this drama real quick and basically: lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

there was an interview where he asked Sony if there was any way to make the PlayStation destroy the disk/make it unreadable after a game over and the Sony execs were like “lol absolutely not”

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what did logumpol do now

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Agean90 posted:

this is big time rich idiot poo poo right here

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Toxxing right now, No human will walk on the moon in my lifetime and return safely.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Your history of the labor movement is incredibly flawed.

Undoubtedly. history is written by the victors.

And the unions are going to continue to lose unless they unfuck the things i listed, and more.

I am not anti-union, i want unions to be better, because nothing else on this planet is going to help working people. And step one is unions looking at their own faults and sucking less. And stop whinging about the big meanie monopoly men.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

hell yeah, finally someone doing something extremely cool with their billions.

eat those umbilical cords, jeff!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Undoubtedly. history is written by the victors.

And the unions are going to continue to lose unless they unfuck the things i listed, and more.

I am not anti-union, i want unions to be better, because nothing else on this planet is going to help working people. And step one is unions looking at their own faults and sucking less. And stop whinging about the big meanie monopoly men.

If you want unions to succeed then taking the time to have a better understanding of why they failed will be more useful than accepting the anti-union conclusion of "dumb lazy unions didnt try hard enough." The systemic factors facing unions show why the simplistic "just stay on strike longer jeez" didn't work and wouldn't work still.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Accretionist posted:

the more specialized and fragmented unions are in an industry, the more likely this is to be true. instead of every man for himself, it's every workplace for themselves. solidarity unionism like the IWW is the way to go. AFL-CIO leadership is pretty crappy, but member unions like AFT are better although fragmented, with some locals doing awful and some doing decently. I don't feel like AFSCME represents their employees adequately in the locals around here, but SEIU around here is all about standing up for every last worker and has a great sense of community.

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 19:48 on May 9, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

there was an interview where he asked Sony if there was any way to make the PlayStation destroy the disk/make it unreadable after a game over and the Sony execs were like “lol absolutely not”

Liars.

Never heard of whatever you're talking about with Kojima, but Suda51 totally made a game that was sort of "pay per life". It was called "Let it Die."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Loky11 posted:

the Idiots on Social Media thread caught me up with this drama real quick and basically: lol

this appears to be a quick summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm still waiting for the "pay per life" game. maybe "pay per save file/character" with permadeath

surely its around the corner and they'll sell the idea as a gimmick: its so immersive! every decision matters so much

lamo I've been thinking of pitching this exact thing

the market is ready

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

lamo I've been thinking of pitching this exact thing

the market is ready
The market already did it. This game was even a minor hit on the streamer circuit.

Yes, you get one life, ever. The rest of your lives are microtransactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNq2cFtd6wI

Shrecknet has issued a correction as of 21:24 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Accretionist posted:

yeah IFPTE is kinda like that. I'm one of a small cohort of council members under 40 years old in my union that trees up to IFPTE. It's like 80% boomers and gen x dudes.