Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
remember there isn't an MSRP on MTG products anymore lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flatluigi posted:

I mean the easy answer to the situation is that it's likely hard to disentangle the transactions to figure out who actually bought the item when they had a supply and who bought it after Ebay hosed up and incorrectly displayed a supply they weren't ever going to fulfill + they don't want to gently caress up the situation even further

the easy solution would be to cancel all the preorders, give out the sheet to everyone involved, and redo the preorders in the future but that 100% would cause even more problems

So who is most likely the fuckup here? I feel like ebay does enough sales in a normal day that this kind of sale is barely a blip on the radar. It seems like the easier explanation is that someone at WOTC who is setting up the ebay account used the wrong settings and hosed up. I don't know poo poo about ebay and it could be that the ebay rep hosed up as well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sickening posted:

So who is most likely the fuckup here? I feel like ebay does enough sales in a normal day that this kind of sale is barely a blip on the radar. It seems like the easier explanation is that someone at WOTC who is setting up the ebay account used the wrong settings and hosed up. I don't know poo poo about ebay and it could be that the ebay rep hosed up as well.

Uncle at Nintendo scuttlebutt is they used a third party listing software and fogot to turn off "If inventory exhausted, relist = yes."

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

There's no way it's the platform, this is definitely a WOTC gently caress up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sickening posted:

I've got to imagine this is WotCs big concern right now. If they can establish that it's eBay's fault they're in a much better place.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

Or maybe if Wizards just made more of these loving sets, they would have all the money they want to charge for them and everyone that bought any would be satisfied.

gently caress, remember the Commander's Arsenal? Stores would hold tournaments and the winner would then have the privilege to buy it.

Don't.

Find out the dimensions of an uncut sheet and get a black metal gallery frame from DickBlick instead. Get the next size up. They come with plexiglass and a foamcore panel and all you have to do is unscrew the braces on the back. They also come with a hanger mounted in the frame that you can readjust for portrait or landscape orientation. Go to Michael's or your local framer and get a matte cut (off-white or black). It will run you less than $100.

Use artist's archival tape (it's like masking tape but doesn't leave a sticky residue) to mount the sheet to the matte.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-metal-gallery-frames/

Thanks for the dickblick recommendation, I had been sleeping on a getting a frame for my Pteramander print and this is way cheaper than anything local.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Feel like there's no good reason for the Arena draft bot to be passing Sarkhan, Krenko, and Chandra but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. P1P1 was Kaya, P2P1 was Bolas, P3P1 was Bontu.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Feel like there's no good reason for the Arena draft bot to be passing Sarkhan, Krenko, and Chandra but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. P1P1 was Kaya, P2P1 was Bolas, P3P1 was Bontu.

Please take Rescuer Sphinx out of your deck I'm extremely triggered right now.

e: also overseer isn't worth splashing.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
haha, what's the vast majority of players going to do with an uncut sheet?
Those things are just gonna end up bent and creased in everyone's closet.

Not to mention, WotC is trying to selling War product right? With the box toppers they weren't competing with themselves because the product wasn't out yet.

There are going to be a ton of weird looking War NFCs - that's for sure.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Was this after today’s update that supposedly updated the bots?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Any projared fans out there? LMAO

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

poo poo is weak posted:

There are going to be a ton of weird looking War NFCs - that's for sure.

I look forward to them having to generate further ill-will with an NFC ruling that annoys thousands of people who thought they were getting "free cards, some assembly required." It's like an installment plan serialized trainwreck.

What is the ruling on NFCs anyway? I assume if you can tell even by a micron if the dimensions or corners are off it's marked, for a start.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tainen posted:

Was this after today’s update that supposedly updated the bots?

Yeah.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Please take Rescuer Sphinx out of your deck I'm extremely triggered right now.

e: also overseer isn't worth splashing.

It was either those cards or Ahn-Crop Overseer and Saheeli's Steelwing, so :shrug:.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Owlbear Camus posted:

What is the ruling on NFCs anyway? I assume if you can tell even by a micron if the dimensions or corners are off it's marked, for a start.

This is ambiguous and left up to the individual judge for the event.

The big issue is the actual wording of the rules regarding "misprints" is, specifically the first item in the list: "The card is genuine and published by Wizards of the Coast". Is an NFC card genuine and published by WOTC, that's the question a judge has to answer. Yes, the cardstock and printing is genuine, but a player cut it, so was that fully published by the company? One judge interviewed in an article I found says if he knew outright that a card was NFC he would not allow it as not genuine.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah.

It was either those cards or Ahn-Crop Overseer and Saheeli's Steelwing, so :shrug:.

I promise you, your win rate will go up if you take out rescuer sphinx and play 18 lands with fewer islands. I'd take any castable grizzly bear type card instead of overseer but at least it is castable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah.

Those are both better than loving up your mana base for no reason.

Show us the rest of the sideboard!

e: wait ahn crop overseer isn't even a card

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ahn-crop Invader, my mistake.

I'll take your advice and see how it goes. I'm 4-0 right now so I can't imagine it'll make the deck any worse.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is ambiguous and left up to the individual judge for the event.

The big issue is the actual wording of the rules regarding "misprints" is, specifically the first item in the list: "The card is genuine and published by Wizards of the Coast". Is an NFC card genuine and published by WOTC, that's the question a judge has to answer. Yes, the cardstock and printing is genuine, but a player cut it, so was that fully published by the company? One judge interviewed in an article I found says if he knew outright that a card was NFC he would not allow it as not genuine.

Not to mention most NFCs are from old, valuable sheets, so sellers have them cut somewhat professionally.
There are gonna be so many mangled War NFCs after players chop theirs up with safety scissors.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I thought everyone turned against him once he got nabbed for kid-touching and lost his Subway sponsorship.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ha. Hasbro's eBay rating has dropped below 92%.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

poo poo is weak posted:

Not to mention most NFCs are from old, valuable sheets, so sellers have them cut somewhat professionally.
There are gonna be so many mangled War NFCs after players chop theirs up with safety scissors.

what does NFC stand for here?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Ha. Hasbro's eBay rating has dropped below 92%.

This debacle has them 50/50 pos/neg feedback for the last month lol

evilweasel posted:

non-factory cut. Taking a safety scissors/exacto/paper cutter/precision die cutter/chainsaw to your uncut sheet and DIYing it down into cards.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

evilweasel posted:

Non Factory Cut; what you get when you break up an uncut sheet. NFC "misprints" are a surprisingly common scam.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Counterfeit mythic editions could solve all of these problems

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The paper life seems like so much of a hassle tbh

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m not sure I would’ve stayed invested in Magic this long if it wasn’t for Wizards making endless baffling screw ups; it’s like a soap opera in its way.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

vegetables posted:

I’m not sure I would’ve stayed invested in Magic this long if it wasn’t for Wizards making endless baffling screw ups; it’s like a soap opera in its way.

:munch::respek::munch:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The paper life seems like so much of a hassle tbh
Oh, poo poo! Much like Project for a New American Century, this was a long con by Hasbro to push everyone into digital to reduce costz even further! :tinfoil:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Been a big fan for years and been following the news all morning.

He isn't getting blown out at this point. He's getting annihilated right now. gently caress him, he deserves it.

(EDIT: To clarify for the sake of avoiding vagueposting: popular gaming youtuber who also enjoys MtG was just revealed to have been cheating on his wife and apparently is a malignant sex pest and propositioned minors as well)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 9, 2019

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Niton posted:

Non Factory Cut; what you get when you break up an uncut sheet. NFC "misprints" are a surprisingly common scam.

tbf NFC is it's own community and most sellers are upfront about it being NFC.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Red in standard is reasonably stupid right now, and Arena kinda owns.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm actually for once in a place where half a grand isn't the biggest deal but its the principle of the thing, times tens of thousands of people (some of whom it may have been a tighter expense.)

Well they planned on pissing away that money on cardboard anyways so I'm not exactly buying the "I really need that money right now!" stance. Your point still stands, of course.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I plan to cheap out with a basic poster frame. Something actually nice would be on the multiple hundreds it looks like.

You'll want to spring for UV protection at the very least, which probably puts it into the "something nice" price range, unfortunately.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 9, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Counterfeit mythic editions could solve all of these problems

So could official ones, too bad no one is doing that either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The frequency of this stuff makes you wonder if most humans are scumbags, or if it's something about being a public personality.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The frequency of this stuff makes you wonder if most humans are scumbags, or if it's something about being a public personality.

The former is true and the latter exacerbates it

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

You referring to resellers?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Katana Gomai posted:

Well they planned on pissing away that money on cardboard anyways so I'm not exactly buying the "I really need that money right now!" stance. Your point stll stands, of course.

I just think it would feel bad when you're a working class prole and you splurge on some hobby thing to make Capitalist Hell World more bearable because we've been conditioned to spend the pain away.

You figure you can eat ramen for a week and skip that first run movie with the guys. Then it falls through and instead of getting the money back to reallocate to suppliment your diet of starch with some protein or maybe actually go to the movie, but nah, some multinational conglomerate is going to hang on to what to them is a pittance and to you half a paycheck for an arbitrary period of time.

I'm sure this take is going to get me jumped on by the Calvinist moralizers who want poors to stay in their lane (ItS a LuXuRy ItEm).

Insult to injury I got the first of two refunds back and instead of putting it directly into the account it came out of, Paypal parks it there and makes you manually pull it out (another day to checking, or a 1% fee for instant through your debit card.) Everybody getting their vig off a raw deal but nah it's the consumers who are wrong for feeling "entitled" to get what they paid for.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
just give your money to the chinese counterfeit guys so they can improve their product to the point where its indistinguishable and the entire secondary market collapses

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kalvanoo posted:

just give your money to the chinese counterfeit guys so they can improve their product to the point where its indistinguishable and the entire secondary market collapses

:hmmyes:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah.

You're allowed to put in as many basic lands as you want. Given the truly ludicrous card quality, you should be running 18 lands, and 19 isn't out of the question - you have Chandra, Sarkhan, Bolas, Bontu and Kaya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Framboise posted:

Been a big fan for years and been following the news all morning.

He isn't getting blown out at this point. He's getting annihilated right now. gently caress him, he deserves it.

(EDIT: To clarify for the sake of avoiding vagueposting: popular gaming youtuber who also enjoys MtG was just revealed to have been cheating on his wife and apparently is a malignant sex pest and propositioned minors as well)

The timeline is epic.

He posts on twitter saying he is divorcing his wife and for everyone to respect their privacy blah blah blah.

Wife gets wind of it because he didn't tell her, she tells the world that not only did he block her and all friends on social media, he actually cheated on her for a year with a fellow streamer. She goes on full transparency mode and releases all the juice.

The person he cheated on her with is the first reply in his divorce notification, letting him know she is there for him. Lies and says she has nothing to do with anything.

Turns out he is a total sex pest who sends out nudes and asks for nudes from everyone he comes in contact with and fucks anything he can.

Internet celebs is better than any of that cheap reality tv bullshit.