Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Genesplicer posted:

Having actually worked at a public radio station (Pacifica Radio, though, not NPR) I can tell you that a lot of this is frighteningly accurate.

Is Pacifica as chaotic as the hosts make it seem?

You're listening to NPR, National President Radio, all the latest news about the president, all the time, there's nothing else in the world going on. (This isn't even just a Trump thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Now you have to write up a reaction-review in NPR style.

Vato posted:

Chicano works perfectly well. If you are Honduran, you can say that. This new thing is silly.
Chicano has connotations to Mexico and the Aztlan myth that makes it a little dicey to mass-adopt (it kind of squishes all the many cultures and ethnic groups that make up Latin america and Mexico). Not sure what the status of it in Honduras is, though.
In fact, a bunch of the MEChA folks voted to remove Chicano-Aztlan from the name and charter because they felt it was alienating.
But on the other hand it is a self-designed refferrant so anyone that feels sympathy or a connection can adopt it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Now you have to write up a reaction-review in NPR style.

Chicano has connotations to Mexico and the Aztlan myth that makes it a little dicey to mass-adopt (it kind of squishes all the many cultures and ethnic groups that make up Latin america and Mexico). Not sure what the status of it in Honduras is, though.
In fact, a bunch of the MEChA folks voted to remove Chicano-Aztlan from the name and charter because they felt it was alienating.
But on the other hand it is a self-designed refferrant so anyone that feels sympathy or a connection can adopt it.

Any other Central/South American goons care to weigh in on this?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: I just realized which thread I effort-posted this in. Imagine this is being spoken between pledge breaks in a whiny nasal voice that is absolutely accentless except when I overenunciate the hyphenated Spanish half of my last name.

I think the issue is around needing a positive term that can be used by outsiders, and by that I mean anyone outside a specific ethnic enclave — even though I am Mexican-American, that is informed by a specific socio-economic and cultural experience geographically centered in south Texas that doesn’t necessarily have much in common with (e.g.) Californians. I sorta dislike Latinx (mostly on grammatical grounds but I understand and accept the reason for superceding the gendering in declining it), but there isn’t a better term I can think of to use generally for what we would have called “Hispanic people” thirty years ago. (Also, 30 years ago, “Latino” meant of Mexican descent to me, but living in Texas with my background might have colored my understanding.)

Obviously, the specific is to be preferred and used when possible. But when collectively talking about people of Chilean ancestry in Chile, Spanish-speaking Mexican-Americans of the Rio Grande Valley, Puerto Ricans, or Dominican abuelas in NYC walk-ups, I’m not sure what better term to use.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 9, 2019

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Here's a 30 minute spoken word story read over the air by the "humorist" who wrote it and obviously has no sense of comedic timing whatsoever. This 30 minute story is about as funny as a particularly mediocre New Yorker cartoon you could look at in 5 seconds.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does Wade Goodwyn get national air time? Or do I just hear him because I’m listening in Texas?

He sounds like they interviewed people to cover Texas news and picked him because they thought “oh poo poo that dude sounds Texan as gently caress”. They are right though, he’s the only one who doesn’t sound like the audiobook narrator for The Atlantic.

https://youtu.be/RmAkYM5JTm8

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FilthyImp posted:

That's when I learned Ira Glass is over 50 loving years old wtf.

He's over 60.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This week on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Michael Cohen and Roger Stone guest star.

The topic: cutting the line

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
*tries to read the the 20th take of a pre written joke as spontaneous*

I'm Jad Abumrad

kickascii fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 9, 2019

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

*tells a very personal story about how your husband wouldn't love you if you were fat, you used to take speed to lose weight but gave it up, reveal that you're still addicted to and actively taking speed*

(4 episodes later...)

*tells a very personal story about how you don't get along with anyone at your divorce support group*

mmmmaiiiillll-kriiiimp?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

*is a defunded liberal bluepill soyboy fake news radio station*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Captain Beans posted:

Does Wade Goodwyn get national air time? Or do I just hear him because I’m listening in Texas?

He sounds like they interviewed people to cover Texas news and picked him because they thought “oh poo poo that dude sounds Texan as gently caress”. They are right though, he’s the only one who doesn’t sound like the audiobook narrator for The Atlantic.

https://youtu.be/RmAkYM5JTm8

yes but only for texas issues
he's the official npr texan

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

its 3 am, welcome to colorado public radios "the jazz hour". i'm the only jazz fan in all of colorado, sleepy gary. tonight i plan on providing soothing commentary about jazz as well as using my narcoleptic voice to murder more long-haul truckers than sirens did sailors half a millenium ago.

Lmao

Xaris posted:

*static white noise followed by loud ding dong*
THIS
*car tires locking up skidding and crashing into a wall*
IS
*loud cat rowling*
RADIO
*spooky dramatic synth bite*
LABS
*loud big ben clock striking gong*
TODAY WE
*lightning strike*
TALKING
*loud firework exploding noise*
ABOUT
*machine gun fire noises*
AN APE
*soda can popping open loudly*
WITH
*10 seconds of long dramatic silence*
SYPHILLIS

Lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Isn't getting hired at NPR dependent on how many staffers you can get to nod off while listening to your interview?

NPR good for the truckers industry as somnambulant drivers will finish themselves off so more robo-truckers who DGAF about sleepy radio hosts can take over

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snuffman posted:

*tells a very personal story about how your husband wouldn't love you if you were fat, you used to take speed to lose weight but gave it up, reveal that you're still addicted to and actively taking speed*

(4 episodes later...)

*tells a very personal story about how you don't get along with anyone at your divorce support group*

mmmmaiiiillll-kriiiimp?

Didn’t know about that last part, thanks for the closure

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

uh oh sanders just introduced a medicare for all bill in the senate with like a dozen cosponsors

*airs discussion panel of 2 people talking to each other about why it's unrealistic and fairy dusting without inviting on any pro-medicare for all voice*

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

cult_hero posted:

"Disturbing reports out of Washington this morning that every National Public Radio employee, and indeed the non-profit corporation itself, have resigned in response to allegations of sexual harassment towards each other, themselves, entire cities, and the corporation's own office furniture. One series of text messages, leaked to the online gossip magazine TMZ, reportedly relays a conversation between Morning Edition host Steve Innskeep and Lynn Rosetto Kasper, host of the nationally syndicated cooking program the Splendid Table, in which Innskeep is quoted as saying 'You see that f-ing ficcus on the fourth floor? I would F the S out of that thing if I got it alone.' To which Rosetto Casper responded: 'L-O-L. It looks like such a slut, I would love to lick this 50 year old balsamic from the Modena region of Italy off it's sweaty slut bark.' More on this, as it develops."

Also:

"I'm Glynn Washington and here is another anecdote from my weird culty upbringing and time as a Foreign Service Officer in Japan."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm going to do a human interest piece, but it turns to be about a creepy voyeur woman who spied on couple as one of them slowly dies from some sort of illness. The story will never acknowledge how creepy the lady is, and act as though she gained some profound insight about life through the experience.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
FREAKONOMICS RADIO is sponsored by Prole Crate, a monthly crate of class affirming paraphernalia

*funky horn music*

*all sounds cease save for the guzzling of a CEO's rear end sweat*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

e: I just realized which thread I effort-posted this in. Imagine this is being spoken between pledge breaks in a whiny nasal voice that is absolutely accentless except when I overenunciate the hyphenated Spanish half of my last name.

I think the issue is around needing a positive term that can be used by outsiders, and by that I mean anyone outside a specific ethnic enclave — even though I am Mexican-American, that is informed by a specific socio-economic and cultural experience geographically centered in south Texas that doesn’t necessarily have much in common with (e.g.) Californians. I sorta dislike Latinx (mostly on grammatical grounds but I understand and accept the reason for superceding the gendering in declining it), but there isn’t a better term I can think of to use generally for what we would have called “Hispanic people” thirty years ago. (Also, 30 years ago, “Latino” meant of Mexican descent to me, but living in Texas with my background might have colored my understanding.)

Obviously, the specific is to be preferred and used when possible. But when collectively talking about people of Chilean ancestry in Chile, Spanish-speaking Mexican-Americans of the Rio Grande Valley, Puerto Ricans, or Dominican abuelas in NYC walk-ups, I’m not sure what better term to use.

You could totally do this as a TAL piece and stretch it out to 4 acts.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

My npr local affiliate is hosted by a lady who looks and sounds exactly like a cross between the woman who was the host of the carmen sandiego gameshow and a retired vice principal

she's great and i like hearing her talk dispassionately about school shootings in the denver area

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There was an article or blog from years ago about how much Garrison Kieller/Prairie Home Companion sucks and it was extremely funny. Just an epic rant. Over the years I have searched for it many times and never been able to find it again. Goons are good at finding things, please find this.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

FilthyImp posted:

It's almost beat by beat what happened, lol.

It's called Words You Can't Say, Episodes 637.

That's when I learned Ira Glass is over 50 loving years old wtf.

So this is what pure white privilege sounds like

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

uh oh sanders just introduced a medicare for all bill in the senate with like a dozen cosponsors

*airs discussion panel of 2 people talking to each other about why it's unrealistic and fairy dusting without inviting on any pro-medicare for all voice*

This. I listen to NPR every day but their blatantly dismissive attitude towards everything Sanders is loving obnoxious.

The worst was some panel a couple of weeks ago talking about the democratic candidates and when Sanders came up, literally the entire panel was like "noooo. To old. We don't need another old man president hahahah" and then capped it off with some woman saying "and I still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Hillary and it's his fault that Trump is President" :fuckoff:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkq5CFGOBH4
This is All Things Considered, from Washington I'm Butss McKenzie
WE NEED TO KILL ALL THE JEWS AND MEXICANS
what you are hearing is the newest darling of the midwest, but is he as crazy as crazy bernie sanders? Dogfights Smith investigates

I was terrified, what if that woman in the bathroom was secretly a man and also a rapist?
and in boston, a tragedy as trans "people" are given rights as humans

This is listener-supported National Public Radio.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
tbf i dont think your average coked up trucker is listening to NPR

they're more the rush limbaugh listener type to rage about brown people coming into take their jobs and then get hyped on on genocidal fantasies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xaris posted:

tbf i dont think your average coked up trucker is listening to NPR
You'd be surprised. NPR member stations put towers in rural areas that wouldn't be profitable for private enterprise. We had a few trucker donors because when you're driving across the country NPR is often the most reliably available radio.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is 99% Invisible and I'm Roman Mars, and you're reading this in my voice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

comedyblissoption posted:

this

I used to listen daily, and now after my radicalization by CSPAM every time I tune in I either end up screaming at my radio because it's some centrist horseshit political discussion utterly ignoring or misrepresenting the left, or it's their pointless self-absorbed arts and entertainment programming

I've been listening to a lot more classical lately (KING FM in the Seattle area) and it owns and it's a much better use of my commute

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I do like that KUOW broadcasts LA Theater Works on weekend evenings though, I visit family on the weekends a lot and I love listening to the plays on that long rear end drive :shobon:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

I do like that KUOW broadcasts LA Theater Works on weekend evenings though, I visit family on the weekends a lot and I love listening to the plays on that long rear end drive :shobon:
Public radio's arts and culture stuff is so much better than their news coverage.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

My npr local affiliate is hosted by a lady who looks and sounds exactly like a cross between the woman who was the host of the carmen sandiego gameshow and a retired vice principal

she's great and i like hearing her talk dispassionately about school shootings in the denver area

My local NPR station has a woman who honestly has a fantastic radio voice, but she also has a bad habit of inhaling into the mic when she stops for breath and it distracts/annoys the hell out of me.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hello, I'm Ira Glass. Today we're going to talk about a white guy who dates Asian women. What a weirdo, Can you believe it? Oh, and we'll refer to Asian people as "yellow" in the episode's title.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Cessna posted:

Hello, I'm Ira Glass. Today we're going to talk about a white guy who dates Asian women. What a weirdo, Can you believe it? Oh, and we'll refer to Asian people as "yellow" in the episode's title.

:psyduck:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

oh poo poo I was just thinking "that's jo ann allen" and then you confirmed

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you've not seen this, definitely check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Jian Ghomeshi is crazy, stuck up rear end in a top hat and it's nice to hear Billy give him poo poo. This was a good 10 years before we Ghomeshi's min controversy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bonzo posted:

Jian Ghomeshi is crazy, stuck up rear end in a top hat and it's nice to hear Billy give him poo poo. This was a good 10 years before we Ghomeshi's min controversy.

holy poo poo that "danny baker" guy is unknown hinson

edit: this clip is proclick, billy bob just does his best to keep gomeshi derailed

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2019

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Bonzo posted:

e: NM, my question got answered.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Bonzo posted:

lol billy bob was being a huge bitch here

still really funny tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Code Jockey posted:

this

I used to listen daily, and now after my radicalization by CSPAM

Don't ream CSPAM. CSPAM somehow managed to be worse than D&D.