Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Section Z posted:

Frivolous question. Does anyone have any idea what the Stone Damage stat even applies to? Like, every proper weapons is just "2 damage", but some of the peasant weapons like the sledge hammer and pickaxe list stuff like 60/100 stone damage.

loving around in frontline, seems the mallet built sandbag walls still run off the wood damage stat. But I have not done any horde mode, so are there stone walls peasant slowly break down in that mode, or what?

They probably planned on having some kind of objective for it, like beating up a stone wall or something.

Also supporting the decision to make the maps one-way attack/defense style. There’s a lot of cool sections of the maps that never get used (or if they do see action the map is already over anyway). Fighting to defend the king is cool, but if your pushed back that far you’ve already lost with no hope to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Avynte posted:

I've been running a billhook 121 a lot in the alternate grip and it's hilarious pulling people nonstop with the stab. The pull isn't far, but it seems just enough to throw off the timing of your average frontline spammer and you can yoink dudes off horses if you get a poke on them. I dont have enough experience 1v1 with it yet, but have been demolished by a couple dudes that just seemed extremely good with it.

Even after using the billhook a ton, I'm not 100% sure what it takes to de-horse someone, but I'm positive that both primary and alt thrusts will do it. I bait charges and I can knock someone off a horse with a single well timed thrust. The biggest tip I have with 1v1ing with the billhook is to use the thrust as your primary damage dealer and everything else to disguise your thrusts, and to "shimmy" a bit with the thrust. I don't know how best to explain it, but I kind of jiggle my mouse on a thrust and often times it slides past a parry and ends up going into someone's face.

On a completely different subject, permit me a moment to rant. Why do teammates disappear? Why the gently caress don't they stay on the point? I charge a point with my team of bloodthirsty killers, we mop up the enemies, and I prepare for the inevitable counter charge, confident in our ability to handle it, as obviously I have my teammates at my back, and yet when the enemies arrive, I'm suddenly all loving alone, the short-lived star of an unexpected gangbang. FUUUUUUUCK YOU ALL.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Your average video gamesman doesn't actually understand what an objective is. This will never change, hail Satan.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Also, just saw a horse take a nasty dump on the battlefield and I was very pleased that I was able to pick it up and throw it into someone's chainmail

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I wish there were more open maps or atleast larger more circular maps instead of just a straightline.Inside a castle or even Castle walls would be great. One thing Chivalry got right over Mordhau was map design

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
At the very least give polearms a reciprocal damage bonus against horses. Last round I stabbed 3 different guys who charged me with my halberd for 65+ damage, and they just rode off and found someone else to lance down while recharging their health. That sucked.

e: Best way to get xp is frontline it seems like?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 9, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Most of the frontline maps aren't even that linear, but the design of the capture point objectives really funnels players. It also feels more difficult to explore without a coordinated squad because the risk of randomly running into a group of 3-4 opposing players is so high with up to 64 people on a server.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've definitely been enjoying half strength (or even just 42 instead of 64) Frontline. Still challenging fights but you do actually get fights instead of just swirling melees of giant gently caress You zones.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Your average video gamesman doesn't actually understand what an objective is. This will never change, hail Satan.
Normally I slam autopick. But I pick blue on purpose because the mid point on Grad(?) is the most HILARIOUS place to put toolbox spikes in the game-

Oh, somebody opened a door and ran into spikes inside the house.

Anyways as I was saying, it's the best place to put spikes-

Oh, they went through the hole in the house, opened the other door, and died on the spikes outside the house.

It's like a loving Tom and Jerry cartoon, that also contributes to victory! win/win.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Game is fun but I am super bad at it.

I've been doing a short spear and shield but I don't want to be That Guy so I guess I should switch. What lets me kill the 1500 assholes with executioner swords

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think I'm ready to play this with goons. I've been playing with randos for way too long.

Orv
May 4, 2011

megane posted:

I've been doing a short spear and shield but I don't want to be That Guy so I guess I should switch. What lets me kill the 1500 assholes with executioner swords

An executioners sword. :v:

Honestly anything fast that can get inside the reach of an executioners sword is nice, but the real answer is blocking their first windmill and feinting/morphing a sword into their pie hole.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

megane posted:

2/2/2 armor can help. One of Executioner's sword's big gimmicks is it gets 100 vs jorts, so the people who are not simply windmilling for headshots will fish for leg hits on people skimping on leg day. (Watch out for peasants with scythes if you have 0/1 leg armor, on that note).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The biggest issue with horses is the bump range seems much bigger than the model and I think it counts as a full stun so your attack stops too even if you’re bumped for 2 damage. Also none of poor arm stabs do anything extra to the horse or rider, which they probably should. In warband all of the pole arm stabs stopped and reared the horse, which was good. Having to wind up ahead of time is just a symptom of dealing with their mobility.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Which is weird given how insanely OCD every other hitbox is in this game.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I was looking for what weapon had pull and holy poo poo yeah the billhook. Take friendly, fireproof, dodge, and 1/1/1 armor with it and stand in friendly firebombs and pull people in. :)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I used to shrug about friendly until I got murdered 5 times by friendlies in a match last night. Three times from the same shield rapier spazz.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I had a guy on a horse charge me and he hosed up his couch so I was able to slam him in the face with my maul as he rode past. I think that was one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in this game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mine was smashing a guy who was jump attacking me off a hill. His head pulped and he did a mid-air cartwheel. I was super amped that Nvidia instant replay wasn't working for some loving reason.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Had a hooded Zwei dude run at me winding up his strike and I just threw my axe into his face, instantly killing him.

This game makes me wish I didn't need sleep to live

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do you chamber stabs with a halberd? The windup on it seems longer than other attacks so people start their stabs, I start my stab, and I die anyway.

e: 3rd time getting stab-spammed with a dagger while I'm trying to chamber. Not even to do a chamber->morph deal, just...not die to someone who keeps stabbing.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 9, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I had a guy with a war axe try to jump down from above and bisect me but I sidestepped and hit his legs (maul) as he fell and one of the legs flew like 30 feet away.

I need to learn how to take videos in this game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cerebral posted:

This is my killer.

Looks cool

I just checked and is there really no rampant lion available for your emblem, that was one of the most common symbols

e: I guess the Griphon is really close

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 9, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ravenfood posted:

How do you chamber stabs with a halberd? The windup on it seems longer than other attacks so people start their stabs, I start my stab, and I die anyway.

e: 3rd time getting stab-spammed with a dagger while I'm trying to chamber. Not even to do a chamber->morph deal, just...not die to someone who keeps stabbing.

It'll be hard to time it right with a slower weapon which is the point. If you don't have a faster fall back weapon you have to parry first and then set up the chamber.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I'm hardly an expert on chambering but I believe as long as you start the attack right before you get hit then your weapon's normal windup doesn't matter. That said if someone is just mashing their stab button it's possible that they'll chamber you right back. Though if they respond with a parry or a block then you'll have other options to mix them up. It takes a little observation to see what your opponent reacts to which can be difficult in the chaos of a team fight.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

It'll be hard to time it right with a slower weapon which is the point. If you don't have a faster fall back weapon you have to parry first and then set up the chamber.

I suggest the cleaver as a backup. It's only 1 point, does solid damage, and people using rapiers and short spears have no clue how to deal with somebody with a faster weapon once you get in on them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I suggest the cleaver as a backup. It's only 1 point, does solid damage, and people using rapiers and short spears have no clue how to deal with somebody with a faster weapon once you get in on them.

This is a good idea. Last night I was getting wrecked by someone with a cleaver just hugging me closely and timing their swings really well with mine. It was super annoying to deal with, doubly so with my giant sword just getting turned aside for more precise cuts.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also, unless it's a duel or skirmish game mode --- it might be worth it to just retreat to your allies if you run into someone with a dorky build. Usually they don't chase and home in on someone else, making them ripe for a flank.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Does anyone else struggle with wraparound on shield hit boxes seeming to reach absurdly far around? I've stabbed at people almost directly at their sides and had it bounce off. It's to the point that I've given up on using my weapon while flanking shield users and just kick them instead so my teammates can tear them apart right away instead of wasting more time on the guy.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Looks cool

I just checked and is there really no rampant lion available for your emblem, that was one of the most common symbols

e: I guess the Griphon is really close

Thanks. I don't let my son watch me play, but I do let him help design my characters, and he immediately fell in love with the unicorn, so now I'm the unicorn knight I guess. Or, "You loving brony (homophobic slur)!" as I'm known in-game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Swing, don't stab. If you're flanking them and you're on their right hand side, swing left to right.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finally reached level 5, unlocking some cool weapons. What's everyone's favorite loadout?

I have 4 right now

3/3/2 poleaxe (thinking of changing it for the greatsword, it almost seems a straight upgrade statswise, but the poleaxe just... works)

2/3/2 billhook, arming sword, heather shield

2/3/1 short spear, rapier and Heather shield (known as the stab stab throw stabbity stab)

2/2/1 halberd (still didn't click with me but everybody keeps raving about it so I want to keep trying)

Of the default ones I sometimes use knight, veteran and protector

Is the estoc worth it as a stabby alternative to short spear and rapier? What else should I try? I am generally pretty bad with slow heavy weapons like the war axe etc but I might give them a whirl anyway

E: where was that spreadsheet with all the weapons data? It would be tremendously useful for theorycrafting without having to look at each weapon in the armory

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 9, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

timn posted:

Does anyone else struggle with wraparound on shield hit boxes seeming to reach absurdly far around? I've stabbed at people almost directly at their sides and had it bounce off. It's to the point that I've given up on using my weapon while flanking shield users and just kick them instead so my teammates can tear them apart right away instead of wasting more time on the guy.

They have force fields so the physical models are kind of a lie.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

I've definitely been enjoying half strength (or even just 42 instead of 64) Frontline. Still challenging fights but you do actually get fights instead of just swirling melees of giant gently caress You zones.

This is the Frontline secret. ~40 player frontline is pretty cool. Well except the staring tickets are way too high (same as 64).

However 64 player skirmish (32v32 no respawn) is totally awesome, insane as gently caress, and an excellent mode to deploy your gimmick builds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Finally reached level 5, unlocking some cool weapons. What's everyone favorite loadout?

I have 4 right now

3/3/2 poleaxe (thinking of changing it for the greatsword, it almost seems a straight upgrade statswise, but the poleaxe just... works)

2/3/1 short spear, rapier and Heather shield (known as the stab stab throw stabbity stab)

2/2/1 halberd (still didn't click with me but everybody keeps raving about it so I want to keep trying)

Of the default ones I sometimes use.knight, veteran and protector

Is the estoc worth it as a stabby alternative to short spear and rapier? What else should I try? I am generally pretty bad with slow heavy weapons like the war axe etc but I might give them a whirl anyway

Right now I'm using a 2/3/0 halberd build, but a lot of that is for fashion reasons. Otherwise I tend to use a 3/3/2 greatsword or pollaxe. I might start using a messer too, that thing seems to be obscene. I need a better mace/shield setup too. Or one-handed weapon setups in general, I've mostly been using polearms and long weapons to help swing teamfights and want to be a bit better at dueling.

A toolbox/arming sword/hammer setup is nice for controlling areas in frontline though. Funny too. I might see if I can swing some traps instead of weapons and just rely on what I find and make giant deathboxes instead.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

TorakFade posted:

If you haven't done it yet, try the alt mode. I figured it out last night and it seems to make the halberd incredibly long allowing for the silliest headshots.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TorakFade posted:

Finally reached level 5, unlocking some cool weapons. What's everyone's favorite loadout?

I have 4 right now

Of the default ones I sometimes use knight, veteran and protector

E: where was that spreadsheet with all the weapons data? It would be tremendously useful for theorycrafting without having to look at each weapon in the armory

The estoc is pretty long and very stabby but it felt fairly underwhelming to me. Just get your stabs in with a poleaxe or greatsword imo, they're both great at stabs too without the downside of being useless for everything else.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jnaCY_EuPqGCE2mhb-IVyXLAIee4LlvUGY8YB-kOZrs/edit#gid=406219031

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Horses are actually really good and a lot of fun

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TorakFade posted:

gently caress yes for Estoc. It's easy to underestimate and I keep going to more straightforward weapons (faster stuff, or more heavy hitting stuff). But when it clicks, it's wonderful to have a good range face poker that can also accidentally decapitate enemies with a swing when you miss your intended target. Estoc also juuuust edges into two hits to kill through a rank 3 helmet, and two chest stabs to kill through rank 2 armor.

"How am I getting away with this?" wise. Morphing from a thrust to a slash actually hurts with the Estoc, and all these rapier/spear guys seem to be training people expect even the most transparent thrust-swing morphs to not be something worth worrying about on a weapon associated with thrusting. I don't get away with that nearly so easily with other swords.

Speaking of Estoc vs short spears. Short spear has this weird deal where specifically vs rank 1 armor, it's got higher than normal thrust damage.

Estoc is 70/55/51/46
Short is 65/60/45/35

That trend holds up. For heads and legs, Estoc is superior except vs rank 1 armor, where it's 70/75, and 40/50. But the Estoc deals more damage to zero armor, and rank 2/3 armor... And, you know, can slash for reasonable damage too. The major flaw of the Estoc is that you can't throw it at people.

Ravenfood posted:

A toolbox/arming sword/hammer setup is nice for controlling areas in frontline though. Funny too. I might see if I can swing some traps instead of weapons and just rely on what I find and make giant deathboxes instead.
Can confirm this is a good time. Arming sword is great. And if you actually want to build walls you do want to splurge on the blacksmith hammer. The wooden mallet is a living hell even if you never intend to hit people with it. So no wonder there's a free one every five feet :v:

EDIT: Longsword is real cool overall and carves up people real nice. But I'm just :sigh: at how the title drop stance is kinda underwhelming.
"My longsword just isn't cutting it against this armor!"
"Don't worry! You can use the MORDHAU GRIP!"
*T2/T3 chest damage goes from 37/34 to 41/40*
:what:

The 60 damage swings vs helmets can be a rude surprise to catch people off guard with at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Alt mode halberd is great for ranged poking and has even more awesome damage against armor (something like 80 against lvl 3 helmets!). However it's also a lot slower and people can chew you up if they have a chance to get in and focus their attention on you.

I like to reserve the alt mode for when I'm supporting my team from the back ranks or being charged by a horse. Treat it like a very high damage alternative to the 2h spear. Otherwise I'll stick with the primary mode if I'm getting into straight fights with people on foot.