Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

poo poo I might do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dr. Eldarion posted:

OH MY GOD I DID IT MY HEART WAS BEATING SO HARD

This was my third try and it took me to my last portal. I think the difference was I was being more proactive in my anti-fire and anti-bleed flasks so when I did get hit by a stray shot, I didn't get DoT'd to death. There were at least two times I definitely was out of the AoE but still got hit, so there must have been some lag that was screwing me. Definitely not doing that again, but I'm happy I've done it.

Now do uber elder

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Part 2 of the recent Q+A

Highlights:
  • Betrayal/Sulfite going to be per-league rather than per-character, may not be in the next expansion
  • Some tweaking to masters/past-league content in the works
  • Orb of Horizons will be a core item
  • "I can assure you that the [next] league currently doesn't have patches of black stuff that you don't want to accidentally flicker into."
  • Currency Tab will be updated to include Harbinger stuff at some point
  • "..but [4.0] already involves the largest amount of animation work we have ever attempted before."
  • "There used to rarely be dead babies washed on up on the beach of the Twilight Strand. We removed them a long time ago." :stare:

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Dead babies can be cool if you don't overdo it. It takes a light touch.

As far as fireball ignite tricksters for Flashback league goes, is there a "best" ascendancy setup? I'm inclining toward the Patient Reaper -> Prolonged Pain and Ghost Dance -> Escape Artist branches for my planned SSF toon. Seems like there are quite a few on poe.ninja who ditch one or the other for Weave the Arcane and Patient Killer, though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

quote:

Have you guys considered allowing us to trade maps of a tier for any other map of that same tier for a small cost at an NPC?

Our current plan is to add Orbs of Horizons to the main drop pool so that it's easier to perform the transformation you want to do here.

Oh man I can't wait for my map to reroll into a map I already have and then back again after I use another.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Started this game again after a few years. I've read so many guides and watched all the YouTubes.

Question about builds. Most of the build guides I read assume you have all kinds of unique gear on hand just to swap in and stuff as you level. Can I just ignore all that and follow the skill gems and passive skill tree they propose? I want to play a Ranger with bow

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Arrhythmia posted:

Now do uber elder

I feel like uber elder would actually be easier for me just because I wouldn't be constantly one-shot. I regenerate ES extremely quickly so as long as I'm not instantly killed I'm usually okay.

... probably not doing it, though. At least for a while. I've had enough excitement for now. Actually I'm probably going to start up a new character to try and get the 60 minions trophy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

marshalljim posted:

Dead babies can be cool if you don't overdo it. It takes a light touch.

As far as fireball ignite tricksters for Flashback league goes, is there a "best" ascendancy setup? I'm inclining toward the Patient Reaper -> Prolonged Pain and Ghost Dance -> Escape Artist branches for my planned SSF toon. Seems like there are quite a few on poe.ninja who ditch one or the other for Weave the Arcane and Patient Killer, though.

Patient Reaper -> GD/EA path -> Prolonged Pain probably. Prolonged Pain is 'just' a bunch of extra damage, it can wait.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh man I can't wait for my map to reroll into a map I already have and then back again after I use another.

has there ever been anything that you haven’t bitched about? do you even like anything? jesus loving christ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I feel like uber elder would actually be easier for me just because I wouldn't be constantly one-shot. I regenerate ES extremely quickly so as long as I'm not instantly killed I'm usually okay.

... probably not doing it, though. At least for a while. I've had enough excitement for now. Actually I'm probably going to start up a new character to try and get the 60 minions trophy.

Spoiler alert: you can easily get one-shot doing Uber Elder and you have way more poo poo to dodge during the fight. I would not consider Uber Elder easier than Uber Atziri.

von Braun posted:

Started this game again after a few years. I've read so many guides and watched all the YouTubes.

Question about builds. Most of the build guides I read assume you have all kinds of unique gear on hand just to swap in and stuff as you level. Can I just ignore all that and follow the skill gems and passive skill tree they propose? I want to play a Ranger with bow

Most likely yeah. Some uniques make leveling a breeze though (like The Almighty T-Shirt)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

802.11weed posted:

has there ever been anything that you haven’t bitched about? do you even like anything? jesus loving christ

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

whypick1 posted:

Spoiler alert: you can easily get one-shot doing Uber Elder and you have way more poo poo to dodge during the fight. I would not consider Uber Elder easier than Uber Atziri.

Most likely yeah. Some uniques make leveling a breeze though (like The Almighty T-Shirt)

Yeah, i get that. But I have none of those. I started a brand new character and my most recent one (3 years ago) is a lvl36 templar HC. Makes it kinda hard unless they drop in act 1.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

von Braun posted:

Read the build guides carefully. If the unique is actually required for the build, it should tell you so (or it's a poo poo build guide). There are definitely build guides out there that absolutely require certain uniques (there is a reason that the term "build enabling unique" exists), but I've found that most of the guides I've read will clearly state if that's the case.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

it's almost like.... you're exchanging one map for another at a small cost......

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

von Braun posted:

Yeah, i get that. But I have none of those. I started a brand new character and my most recent one (3 years ago) is a lvl36 templar HC. Makes it kinda hard unless they drop in act 1.

Fortunately you don't need them in act 1. There are many many builds that can get you easily to act 9 on a 4 link. Once you get there you have the option of just pushing forward, or farming Blood Aqueduct until you get your 9 humility cards.

Uniques are there to make rerolls less of a drudge. They're in no way required for first characters in a league.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I am really sorry for thinking that the solution for random map drops being more RNG may be not ideal. RNG drops, RNG results, but hey instead of hoping it'd drop you can just trade for it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 9, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

von Braun posted:

You can trade for those, unless you're playing solo-self-found. Some leveling uniques are pretty valuable but many of them will be worth less than 1 chaos orb and it's doable to trade for them on your first character in a league.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Oldstench posted:

Just installed this game for the first time. Ridiculously overwhelmed. Wish me luck.

Join the goon global chat. I don't remember the number and my PC is still in a box so I can't check, but there's a lot more action in the global chat. Joining the guild gives you access to the guild stash and that's super helpful when levelling, ESPECIALLY I you're new.

Ask questions. I didn't feel comfortable for the first couple months I played, and now over six months in I'm still learning about mechanics I understood wrong.

I was probably going to get a shot at the ubers this league, but this move is going to have cost me two weeks by the time it's done :(

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

/global 5555

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

whypick1 posted:

/global 5555

We miss you, Rodent.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Duck and Cover posted:

I am really sorry for thinking that the solution for random map drops being more RNG may be not ideal. RNG drops, RNG results, but hey instead of hoping it'd drop you can just trade for it.

it's actually incredibly hosed, for example I reached level 88 and have now found more Exalts than Beach maps (1 to 0)

this is only important because Beach is my only Shaper influenced map, which I need to clear to advance Zana, which I need to do because she still only sells tier 1-3 maps

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Getting that initial foothold into maps and the Zana questline is really miserable without guild support.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oldstench posted:

Just installed this game for the first time. Ridiculously overwhelmed. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

silvergoose posted:

Can you link your profile, I've hated every summoner I've tried but hey maybe this'll be the one. :v:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ergoduck/characters

Character Hydaelyn.

grimcreaper posted:

Did do the build from a guide and is it viable as a starter?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2305121

Uhh that's a complicated question. I did it as my second character but the only thing I did with my first character was beat the game and realize I wasn't enjoying it so I had the currency and items from one clear. I don't remember how much currency that was. I also decided to switch to Golems as soon as I had them (which the guide doesn't recommend, I think) because I like to see the power curve of each skill and I don't mind getting my hands dirty even if they suck. Which in this case, it did. Golems start fragile as gently caress.

The jewels required (and you'll need a lot of them) were very cheap. Some Harmonies were posted at 4-6c averaging at 8c. I was selling all the garbage I got when I leveled and that was enough to finish the game with I think 3 jewels? By which point I was stronger than an average character at A10 Kitava. The golems have a very crazy power curve and they start miserable. The jewels make them progressively more powerful. The amulet if I recall was considerably cheaper at league start.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Has anyone taken a trapper to the endgame recently?

Going to run a Saboteur for the PS4 SSF flashback league and am trying to figure out options on an SSF budget.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

redneck nazgul posted:

Has anyone taken a trapper to the endgame recently?

Going to run a Saboteur for the PS4 SSF flashback league and am trying to figure out options on an SSF budget.

Lightning trap is op, both on a budget and with deep pockets

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Thanks. :) The game just seems so complicated at first.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Ghostlight posted:

Getting that initial foothold into maps and the Zana questline is really miserable without guild support.

Yeah, the suckiest part of maps for me is always tiers 1-5. After you're reliably sustaining yellows the progression feels fine, but jesus, trying to crawl up those white tiers almost kills my desire to play every time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vulpes posted:

Yeah, the suckiest part of maps for me is always tiers 1-5. After you're reliably sustaining yellows the progression feels fine, but jesus, trying to crawl up those white tiers almost kills my desire to play every time.

I can't wait for them to implement "Map Boss gives an extra chance at dropping an adjacent map". I really like SSF-ing my maps when I can, but I ended up stuck on Tier 3 shaper too.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Golems when i made the initial switch ran me about 120c total for the jewels neck and weapon. You dont really get to swap to golems until about level 42, but at that point you can start running them and build them up while running arc (or whatever you want to level with) as a supplemental while you continue leveling and building up your stockpile golem items.

for the flashback league i'll probably be running a skelemancer build, nice cheap and easy. the only pain about it is running SRS until you're ready for the cutover. But it's another lazy build that works for pretty much everything as long as you're okay with the AI of the skeletons. Just throw 42 skeletons at all of your problems on the map.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

Did do the build from a guide and is it viable as a starter?

I ran golems as my delve starter. It's not the best league starter, but is a viable option. Your core requirements are:
- Cruel Elementalist Ascendancy
- Two clayshapers (a couple of chaos each early in the league)
This gives you 4 golems and should carry you into maps, particularly if you run them fully linked in something like a tabula.

Following upgrades:
- Amulet + Victario's charity (around 20 - 50c early league)
- Primordial might for QoL, i.e. not needing to direct golems like you direct zombies (previous leagues this was 100 - 300c early, poe.ninja shows it at 20 - 30c during Synthesis start)
- Anima stone (cost of the three primordial jewels to craft)
From here you're just adding a primordial eminence and lots of primordial harmonies, which can be less effectively replaced by minion nodes until you can afford them.

In 3.5, the ice golem guides were all pretty similar other than small changes and I assume they are all still pretty good. There is also the option to go for a specifically crafted 6-link two handed shaper mace which allows you to switch to a survivability chest like a loreweave, kaom's heart, etc. whilst also having higher sustained DPS (does not rely on charge generation) and higher level golems.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

von Braun posted:

Something you should be aware of is that there is a HUGE distinction between "my first character" and "every character after that". For most of us, we play our first character using whatever drops and take it far enough to find/buy levelling gear for every character after that. It's why you commonly hear "league starter" tossed around for guides, these guides assume no prior gear/currency.

Also, most guides will have a "levelling" section, and most of those sections will just tell you to buy the standard levelling uniques. You can completely ignore these for your first character - they aren't build enabling, they just make levelling easier.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

any caster can level with freezing pulse / arc, any melee character can level with sunder, any dex character can level with rain of arrows /mirage archer

actually basically anything can level with arc, lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

TheRat posted:

Lightning trap is op, both on a budget and with deep pockets

How was LT in delve? I liked you could throw a nice chain of ice traps down tunnels and everything goes boom. Curious how LT is since it fires in a circle.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

whypick1 posted:

/global 5555
OK thanks - looks like I can't join a specific channel until I'm level 25 though...weird.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That sounds like a way to prevent people from creating new accounts just to spam global.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

OK thanks - looks like I can't join a specific channel until I'm level 25 though...weird.

It's a spam-bot thing. Once you pass it once it goes away for all future characters.

Tai posted:

How was LT in delve? I liked you could throw a nice chain of ice traps down tunnels and everything goes boom. Curious how LT is since it fires in a circle.

It's fine. Doesn't clear as well down corridors as arc but its not a problem.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Trying out winter orb trickster before it maybe gets nerfed, solidly level 60 or so.

I feel like things explode, but I’m also very squishy (which is probably partially a gear problem) but also that I need to stop and recast frequently which is frustrating. Does this get better, maybe with faster cast speed, the shaper amulet and/or temporal chains?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ruggan posted:

I feel like things explode, but I’m also very squishy (which is probably partially a gear problem) but also that I need to stop and recast frequently which is frustrating. Does this get better, maybe with faster cast speed, the shaper amulet and/or temporal chains?

Duration nodes + shaper amulet + a ton of cast speed makes a lot of difference on how good it feels.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd use the inc duration gem until you have the shaper ammy (maybe even after)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Ruggan posted:

Trying out winter orb trickster before it maybe gets nerfed, solidly level 60 or so.

My trickster felt squishy, then I was able to afford a 5L Perfect Form and enough resists elsewhere to switch to atziri boots, and now I cruise around with 66% passive spell dodge and when I get hit I gain about 1.7k ES if my flasks are up, 800 if not, plus have CWDT and phase run and free arctic armor (the chill is also pretty nice)

I'm messing around with The Unshattered Will at the moment and I'm specced into Arcane Swiftness, so I have 32% block as well. The dude you're able to summon from it gives you a buff when you use a channeled skill that lasts 4s, but has an 8s cooldown. The buff makes you immune to status ailments and stuns, plus gives you 20% damage reduction. So it's pretty much perfect when I'm zipping through maps but need to stop to blight a high HP rare or beyond boss or map boss or something.