Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Given the strong taboo in Canadian politics about discussing any class other than the middle one and "those seeking to join it", environmental policy might be the one realm where the NDP would feel confident speaking in broad based and universal language. We all share one environment and that lends itself to a kind of collectivist rhetoric that feels very out of place anywhere else these days. Of course for the NDP to really embrace environmentalism they might ruffle some union feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I went to a panel discussion at SFU a month ago about the LGBTQ movement and Svend was one of the panelists. He he kept talking about how we need international cooperation and solidarity with left movements in different countries. Happy to see someone is thinking about it. I know Harper's been a busy boy since 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Given the strong taboo in Canadian politics about discussing any class other than the middle one and "those seeking to join it", environmental policy might be the one realm where the NDP would feel confident speaking in broad based and universal language. We all share one environment and that lends itself to a kind of collectivist rhetoric that feels very out of place anywhere else these days. Of course for the NDP to really embrace environmentalism they might ruffle some union feathers.

Oh speaking of, you just reminded me of this, I saw an article the other day quoting Joe Biden as talking about how he wants to make America work for "the middle class and those working hard to join it" and I though hmm yeah this is what America needs, a 76-year-old Justin Trudeau.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Even their actual environmental policies aren't that great or detailed. It's just super general good-sounding stuff and they never need to get into detail because they've never held any power. And they like to focus on the sort of "environmentalism" a rich suburban homeowner would agree with, like more street trees and green spaces in cities, tax cuts and subsidies for your next tesla, rebates for a solar system on your roof. Then when it comes to bigger stuff like region-wide land use policy which is a massive driver of greenhouse gas and transport costs, they shy away from talking about it or go full nimby. They're huge into decentralizing power, local government, which is generally code for letting rich folk run their neighbourhoods and towns like little gated communities.

This is particularly visible on Vancouver City Council, where Greens have 3 seats (and every councillor on the "left" has the balance of power in an 11 member body with 5 right-wingers) and are the most anti-new housing party.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Also, this is somewhat tangential to the Green Party but people also need to realize that the future of centrism is going to be green-washed authoritarianism and austerity. As our society becomes more unstable and the government and corporate sector has to spend more and more of its resources propping up the status quo you're gonna start seeing a lot of rhetorical appeals to environmentalism being used to justify the micromanagement of your life and the stripping away of the rights and privileges you once took for granted as the citizen of a free and wealthy society.

vyelkin posted:

Oh speaking of, you just reminded me of this, I saw an article the other day quoting Joe Biden as talking about how he wants to make America work for "the middle class and those working hard to join it" and I though hmm yeah this is what America needs, a 76-year-old Justin Trudeau.

Kamala Harris is using Doug Ford's "For The People" slogan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a lady and her husband come into my store today, and she mentioned offhand that her husband delivered Trudeau as a newborn. She then said "he should have shoved him back in."

I didn't say anything. Things always sound better in your head before you say them out loud, and good lord is that doubly true for old people.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

vyelkin posted:

"we're not centrists, we just happen to be in the centre and think the truth is in the middle and everyone has some good ideas, but don't call us centrists!!!"

Sounds an awful lot like another political party I know that likes to brag about “campaign from the left, govern from the right”.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a lady and her husband come into my store today, and she mentioned offhand that her husband delivered Trudeau as a newborn. She then said "he should have shoved him back in."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2O0GKKxH4

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
What I'm hearing is you guys wish your Greens were like the New Zealand Greens, who state that social equality and environmental action go hand in hand:
https://www.greens.org.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/nzgreenparty/

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/OntarioNDP/status/1126513477911232512?s=19

Ontario NDP have a good idea :aaaaa:.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't say anything. Things always sound better in your head before you say them out loud, and good lord is that doubly true for old people.

So she wants her husband to have put something into Margaret eh?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

So she wants her husband to have put something into Margaret eh?

that sure is a pleasant way of saying 'raped with your own baby'

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Azerban posted:

that sure is a pleasant way of saying 'raped with your own baby'

Yeahhhhhhhhh.....I think what I meant to say, and what came out were radically different, and I don't know how to type out what I wanted to say, so let me just say sorry to everyone in this thread.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There Is No Planet B is a pretty decent little line.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Beyak got suspended.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Pleads posted:

There Is No Planet B is a pretty decent little line.

The Green Party here in Ireland is using it for their local election campaign right now.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Has Sam Oosterhoff even had sex?

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1126562295927255041

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

quote:

Roberta Bondar, the first Canadian woman to go into space, has been promoted to a Companion of the Order of Canada.

Bondar received the honour at Rideau Hall in Ottawa on Thursday. Gov. Gen. Julie Payette, a former astronaut herself, presented her with the Order.

nepotism

space nepotism

e: drat astro-sisters doing it for themselves

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

anyone want to help haul a guillotine up to beamsville

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Men against abortion should guillotine their dicks off to make sure no woman is subjected to an unwanted pregnancy from them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Baronjutter posted:

Men against abortion should guillotine their dicks off to make sure no woman is subjected to an unwanted pregnancy from them.

Here by the hospital seemingly 24/7 there's a creepy old dude with a sandwich board reading "Men it's your baby too" and "Abortion is murder" pacing back and forth. I don't think he's changing many minds.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Let's see if they back this talk up,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukmjBSQY-c

e: Here have some actual CanPol since Im feeling a little less pessimistic today

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-man-convicted-in-fatal-swarming-gives-thumbs-up-to-victim-s-father-in-court-1.4414608

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bunnyofdoom posted:

Beyak got suspended.

Better than nothing, but she'll be back October 21st. Is there even a mechanism to permanently suspend/eject a senator? Duffy, Wallin, Brazeau just got suspended as well.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

I'm not even sure his parents have ever had sex.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This would be why they don't let him talk.

e: "Unthinkable within our lifetime"? Suicide's a sin, Sam, you know this.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 10, 2019

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Thhhheeeeeeeeyyyyy'rrrrreeee baaaaaaccccccckkkkk :zombie:.

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1126657823994253312

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

He looks 40 something but he's only 21.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Thhhheeeeeeeeyyyyy'rrrrreeee baaaaaaccccccckkkkk :zombie:.

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1126657823994253312

Our procurement system is such a loving dumpster fire.

Why do we even bother having a military.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

God just loving say you're doing a no-competition buy of the F-35 already and get it the gently caress over with. Doesn't matter that it only has one engine and can't be re-fueled by our tanker fleet. gently caress it.

We're gonna be flying those claptrap aussie F-18s until the heat death of the universe, watch and wait.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It does seem like it would be easier for everyone to just tithe Lockheed-Martin $19 billion and be done with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone's lining up to gently caress the 21 year old that looks like a middle aged businessman so it's probably an academic concern in his case.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

He’s engaged, which is both the answer to “has he” (no) and “does anyone want to” (yes).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If he'd gone to a public high school, he'd only have taken his cousin to the prom.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

He’s engaged, which is both the answer to “has he” (no) and “does anyone want to” (yes).

If it's someone from his church, she may not have a choice.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

This is actually an article where it was refreshing to read the comments

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol what kind of shithole riding elected that steaming turd

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
oh its stoney creek, well gently caress you stoney creek residents

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bedroom suburb on a highway unsurprisingly elects worthless person as perfect representation.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Azerban posted:

If it's someone from his church, she may not have a choice.

Im actually afraid to find out if this is made up or not because the last 12 months have broken me pretty bad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Coal Man is being hounded by the mean, dishonest, out-of-context media again

https://twitter.com/colemancountry/status/1126959289124311040
https://twitter.com/robshaw_vansun/status/1126963434245857281
https://twitter.com/sobittersosweet/status/1126601858984714240