Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

skipdogg posted:

And the reason you don’t have a self service password reset solution is?

Something I only ask every day. Not my call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

372 applications according to indeed for an entry level help desk job that I applied for last month. So what exactly do I do to stand out from a field that big? I have 15 years of hospitality/ customer service experience, a bachelor's degree, and just recently obtained my CompTIA A+. When I saw that number that's just daunting.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zotix posted:

372 applications according to indeed for an entry level help desk job that I applied for last month. So what exactly do I do to stand out from a field that big? I have 15 years of hospitality/ customer service experience, a bachelor's degree, and just recently obtained my CompTIA A+. When I saw that number that's just daunting.

Amend your application with a picture of your dongus.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zotix posted:

Try to find some user groups or MeetUps and start networking.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Try to find some user groups or MeetUps and start networking.

I don't have much locally in the way of that. I live in a town on maybe 15k. That job I applied for is an hour away.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hmm... that's rough. I've never lived in a town that small. There's a reason a lot of people are moving to the cities. That's where the jobs are and IT is probably one of the most impacted in that way.

Can you look at remote jobs? Some MSPs might not mind having a tier 1 person working remote answering phones. Do you have any MSP or computer shops in the city? Seems like it might not hurt to swing by those places with a resume and just introduce yourself.

Another option may be to work towards other certs. The A+ cert is fine to have, but isn't going to make or break things for you. N+ or Security+ might be good additions, but your MCSA or CCNA would be great if you can swing it.

Maybe others have better advice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Zotix posted:

These numbers lie, as you will also have recruiters spam other peoples resumes to the employer. Most of whom will have no real skills related to the job.

You want to talk up your ability to deal with people (customer service skills) and your desire and ability to fix things. A social helldesk worker is something that most companies DREAM of.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Any colleges or universities in the town? Even a community college might have good sysadmin jobs (good in that they’re well paying and at least slightly respectful of their employees, not good in the sense of fulfilling because these do not exist in IT Ops?)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have the ability to relocate if I need to. I've also been applying to Atlanta which is 5h away, but j just don't see any employers even reaching out because I'm not in the immediate area. I'm willing to relocate on my own dime, I don't expect the employer to pay for relo on an entry level job.

I've really tried to highlight customer service skills on my resume as most of my recent background has been in management for a large hotel brand. I keep hearing all over that customer service is tough after and I've tried to highlight it, but I haven't had any bites since I've started applying.

Schadenboner posted:

Any colleges or universities in the town? Even a community college might have good sysadmin jobs (good in that they’re well paying and at least slightly respectful of their employees, not good in the sense of fulfilling because these do not exist in IT Ops?)
A small state college, and I've kept my eye on their website with nothing to note there either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chin up everything sucks posted:

These numbers lie, as you will also have recruiters spam other peoples resumes to the employer. Most of whom will have no real skills related to the job.

You want to talk up your ability to deal with people (customer service skills) and your desire and ability to fix things. A social helldesk worker is something that most companies DREAM of.

Even the direct applications are going to be a very large number of people woefully unqualified for the position. There are people who shotgun blast resumes at job postings regardless of their actual skill or experience.

I know years ago we had a (not really entry level, still wanted some minimal experience) job opening, and while my group reviewed about 20 or so resumes, according to HR that was less than 10% of the applications they received (don't know the direct/recruiter ratio). One of them slipped through and the only things on their resume were things like working at fast food and movie theaters.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

To be honest I'm doing exactly that right now. I go on indeed type in some combination of: entry level, help desk, information technology and look at the requirements and apply. A ton of these 'entry level' jobs have requirements way outside what I have. Some want 1-3 years of experience. I've heard from some people that an A+ could sub for about a year of experience. I'm also starting working towards the ccent, but I don't want to get too deep and then make a move in the middle and kind of get sidetracked.

It's a bit disheartening to be honest. I've managed 100 employees at one of the 20 largest hotels in the country. I've also been on computers since I was 4 on my parents old 386. I guess I was naive that my hospitality experience would get me a lot more in the way of call backs than I have thus far. I just don't have a passion for working food and beverage any more and want to make the jump to IT. I can certainly answer phones, help with initial text support triage, and assign service tickets to callers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If I was hiring I’d put someone with a strong customer service background at the top of the pile. I came from one so I’m biased. I can teach tech, being decent to others is tougher

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/8/18536773/microsoft-windows-10-powertoys-apps-open-source-github-release

Power Toys making a comeback :3:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zotix posted:

To be honest I'm doing exactly that right now. I go on indeed type in some combination of: entry level, help desk, information technology and look at the requirements and apply. A ton of these 'entry level' jobs have requirements way outside what I have. Some want 1-3 years of experience. I've heard from some people that an A+ could sub for about a year of experience. I'm also starting working towards the ccent, but I don't want to get too deep and then make a move in the middle and kind of get sidetracked.

It's a bit disheartening to be honest. I've managed 100 employees at one of the 20 largest hotels in the country. I've also been on computers since I was 4 on my parents old 386. I guess I was naive that my hospitality experience would get me a lot more in the way of call backs than I have thus far. I just don't have a passion for working food and beverage any more and want to make the jump to IT. I can certainly answer phones, help with initial text support triage, and assign service tickets to callers.

Don't worry about the years of experience bit. Apply anyways.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Disagree. Demonstrate your integrity by meeting all requirements of the job listing. Employers value a candidate that they can trust.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's true, 100% of the people he manages met all of the criteria on the job posting.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Demonstrate your integrity by meeting all requirements of the job listing.

lmao

This works in the universe where people don't cram their job listings full of every keyword they could imagine they ever would potentially want.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's true, 100% of the people he manages met all of the criteria on the job posting.
I see you. I see you.

e: Wait, I am revoking credit for this joke! You made the same joke 8 months ago. Rehashing material, booooo. (Also I've long since regained my team.)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 9, 2019

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Just had an interesting phone call.

I applied for an IT Project Manager role a while ago and got knocked back - the feedback was they want someone with more formal PM experience as they are so short staff but once things settle down a bit they anticipate further roles being advertised where they might take someone on who needs a bit of work - which is fair, I sort of run a small IT team that involves running projects of varying sizes some of the time but I am by no means a full time PM so I was ok with that.

Fast forward to today, one of the Senior PMs is my old boss, he is a cool guy and basically does his own thing a lot of the time - basically loads of mobilisations. He is also quite good at creating a bit of a drama and has the dudes in that office convinced he is busy and needs a number 2. He then suggested that maybe look at previous applicants of the PM job and they came up with my name

I think it basically depends on the lead PM dude getting approval to go forward with this plan but if it happens then I should in theory walk into that job.

Fingers crossed but not holding my breath!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I see you. I see you.

e: Wait, I am revoking credit for this joke! You made the same joke 8 months ago. Rehashing material, booooo. (Also I've long since regained my team.)

I save my old posts to automate future burns and increase shitposting efficiency.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I save my old posts to automate future burns and increase shitposting efficiency.

Promote this goon!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I work in DoD contracting, my Government Team lead hate my Companies Program/Project Manager to the point where she denies him access to our meetings poo poo's funny but really annoying and childish

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

All my posts are created by a Markov chain I program consists of 3 intensive days off and then we can talk about this tomorrow morning?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The curse continues.
Aside from every account rep for every vendor we have already lost to promotion/retirement/relocation/job change, we just lost our newest Verizon rep to cancer. She had only been around for like a month and hadn't even introduced herself. Jesus.

Let's see that makes Windstream x2, Verizon wireless x2, Verizon, Xerox, CDWG, Cisco, and I still feel like I'm forgetting something. And that's just this year.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 9, 2019

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Got a couple career questions for y’all.

Right now I’m in industrial automation (SCADA, PLC’s etc). Been doing it for about 3 years now, and in that time I’ve gotten the opportunity to do some light networking work and build out a few hyper-v servers, etc. I’ve been working with ESXI / vShpere the past 6 months and have really been enjoying it. I’m considering taking a few classes on networking and virtualization at a local community college at night to see if it’s aomwthing worth pursuing. I could really see myself doing data center virtualization.

One concern is moving from billable work to becoming a cost center. Is there a lot of room for consulting/ billable in virtualization or is a lot of it cost center type work?

Is it possible to make a career out of virtualization, or is it a good foot in the door and then start branching out? Additionally (and this May be for the certifications thread) do I need a CCNA background to be successful?

Luckily I have a full time position and I’m gaining some experience in virtualization, I’m working though some of the free VMware labs. What should my next step be?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Why do you want to get into DCV? Honestly I'd love to get into SCADA and PLC's and get some of that sweet sweet high paying oil company money.

Some companies are large enough to have a full time virtualization guy, or even team, but often it's someone who wears many hats managing the environment. I do VMware, and Windows. Our storage team is separate. VMware doesn't really need much babysitting once it's setup properly. CCNA is overkill for Server stuff unless you rather get into networking.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Why do you want to get into DCV? Honestly I'd love to get into SCADA and PLC's and get some of that sweet sweet high paying oil company money.

Some companies are large enough to have a full time virtualization guy, or even team, but often it's someone who wears many hats managing the environment. I do VMware, and Windows. Our storage team is separate. VMware doesn't really need much babysitting once it's setup properly. CCNA is overkill for Server stuff unless you rather get into networking.

Oil and gas is pretty finicky and I don’t have much desire to live out of a suitcase anymore. I’m mostly in water / wastewater and it gets pretty boring. It’s also a very slow industry for change which can feel limiting at times.

I’m not tied to the idea of DCV, mostly trying to identify a good starting point or something to start landing / working on at home.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

compton rear end terry posted:

Got a couple career questions for y’all.

Right now I’m in industrial automation (SCADA, PLC’s etc). Been doing it for about 3 years now, and in that time I’ve gotten the opportunity to do some light networking work and build out a few hyper-v servers, etc. I’ve been working with ESXI / vShpere the past 6 months and have really been enjoying it. I’m considering taking a few classes on networking and virtualization at a local community college at night to see if it’s aomwthing worth pursuing. I could really see myself doing data center virtualization.

One concern is moving from billable work to becoming a cost center. Is there a lot of room for consulting/ billable in virtualization or is a lot of it cost center type work?

Is it possible to make a career out of virtualization, or is it a good foot in the door and then start branching out? Additionally (and this May be for the certifications thread) do I need a CCNA background to be successful?

Luckily I have a full time position and I’m gaining some experience in virtualization, I’m working though some of the free VMware labs. What should my next step be?

Why are you looking to move from automation to IT?

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Wibla posted:

Why are you looking to move from automation to IT?

The more I think about it, it might just be boredom with where I’m at. But I think I’ll end up taking some sort of class just to learn more about IT

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The more I think about it, it might just be boredom with where I’m at. But I think I’ll end up taking some sort of class just to learn more about IT

Putting more tools in your toolbelt is always a good thing. I'd have to say though as someone who does what you think you want to do, if I could score a SCADA job at a refinery I'd probably do it. I have family that works for Marathon Oil and they get very well taken care of. Plant work is a lot more stable than exploration work as well.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Write a cover letter for each position, using info from the job posting and your resume. Ideally you would tailor your resume to each position, using only the most relevant experience. Your resume should show your accomplishments in their best light, and not be just a list of where you worked. You should have someone review your resume, to see if there are any glaring issues, spelling mistakes or major problems. You should also practice a phone interview with a friend, to get more comfortable. If you are applying to jobs out of the area you are in and not expecting paid relocation you could leave you address off the resume and let them know you will be relocating if they ask. Getting your resume to HR through a friend is a big step up and more likely to lead to an interview than applying directly. Ask everyone you know if they know anyone who is hiring.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If anything, look into networking and databases, as well as MQTT and similar protocols. Proper cloud connected industrial automation is the future.

But to move from industrial automation to IT? I dunno man, I would much rather deal with PLCs.

Industrial automation is a huge field, there's so much poo poo you can do, if you're getting bored and stagnant, it's time to move on to a new company that does different things.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

lampey posted:

Write a cover letter for each position, using info from the job posting and your resume. Ideally you would tailor your resume to each position, using only the most relevant experience. Your resume should show your accomplishments in their best light, and not be just a list of where you worked. You should have someone review your resume, to see if there are any glaring issues, spelling mistakes or major problems. You should also practice a phone interview with a friend, to get more comfortable. If you are applying to jobs out of the area you are in and not expecting paid relocation you could leave you address off the resume and let them know you will be relocating if they ask. Getting your resume to HR through a friend is a big step up and more likely to lead to an interview than applying directly. Ask everyone you know if they know anyone who is hiring.

I'm thinking of leaving my address off of my resume. However, I can't remove my city from my indeed resume. It wants to keep that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zotix posted:

I'm thinking of leaving my address off of my resume. However, I can't remove my city from my indeed resume. It wants to keep that.

Change the city to whatever city you are applying to.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

When I was a SSE at rackspace my job was the escalated tickets and to tutor juniors. I’d just sit behind them and make them pick tickets way out of their level and work them with 1 step at a time. I made them think about next steps and gave hints.

Eventually they solved the problem on their own. They were just scared to jump into it alone. That’s how I tutored my junior techs.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

When I was a SSE at rackspace my job was the escalated tickets and to tutor juniors. I’d just sit behind them and make them pick tickets way out of their level and work them with 1 step at a time. I made them think about next steps and gave hints.

Eventually they solved the problem on their own. They were just scared to jump into it alone. That’s how I tutored my junior techs.

As a lowly L1 my SSE mostly just told me how he didn't know anything and a couple of the L1s (including me) were much smarter than he was.

He has his RHCA, so it wasn't very believable. It was funny, though.

I learned a lot at that job, and then wisely quit.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Comradephate posted:

As a lowly L1 my SSE mostly just told me how he didn't know anything and a couple of the L1s (including me) were much smarter than he was.

He has his RHCA, so it wasn't very believable. It was funny, though.

I learned a lot at that job, and then wisely quit.

Sorry that sucks. I’m still friends with most of my l2 and l1 techs still. They’re mostly in engineering jobs now. I’m a dick obviously but I tried to take care of my techs.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

Sorry that sucks. I’m still friends with most of my l2 and l1 techs still. They’re mostly in engineering jobs now. I’m a dick obviously but I tried to take care of my techs.

Nah, he was cool. I interpreted it as him making us actually use our brains instead of just leaning on him.

I think he's still at Rackspace. I am glad I worked there, but also glad I don't work there anymore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Comradephate posted:

Nah, he was cool. I interpreted it as him making us actually use our brains instead of just leaning on him.

I think he's still at Rackspace. I am glad I worked there, but also glad I don't work there anymore.

Ditto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanatosian posted:

Jesus Christ, guys, it's a high school intern. Their alternative is probably working at McDonald's. Their gonna pick up more useful skills in an office job even if it is just sorting cables and inventorying printers or whatever, and $18 an hour is a ton of money for a high schooler most places.

Give him a basic task you do to automate with Ruby or Python, even if it's already automated. Keeps him out of your way if nothing else needs doing, gives him some practical exercise, might even make your job easier if he turns out something functionally useful that you hadn't already automated.