Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
If anyone is nostalgic for an old Trek game, someone has gotten Armada 1 working perfectly on Windows 10 and all you need to do is extract the zip and click the launcher to play - https://oldgamesdownload.com/star-trek-armada/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Thom12255 posted:

If anyone is nostalgic for an old Trek game, someone has gotten Armada 1 working perfectly on Windows 10 and all you need to do is extract the zip and click the launcher to play - https://oldgamesdownload.com/star-trek-armada/

That could be fun to toss on an old laptop. Been awhile since I've played it but I remember liking it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

I'm not sure how a website like this still exists these days (some of these games are most definitely not adandonware) but its time to download some poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You can find in-browser playable games here for the following:

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (DOS)

Star Trek - First Contact (DOS ▷ 1988)

Star Trek - The Next Generation - Trivia (DOS ▷ 1990)

Star Trek - The Promethean Prophecy (DOS ▷ 1986)

Star Trek - The Rebel Universe (DOS ▷ 1988)

The Alcor Trivia Pro Classic Star Trek Star-Log I (DOS ▷ 1992)

Visual Star Trek (DOS ▷ 1990)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God there's a lot of "First Contact"s.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Much as I love Armada 1, the Sins mod is probably a better game. We don't talk about Armada 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t know, I enjoyed Armada 2. It was a mess of game systems and bloated with unit types because they had to have all the kitbashes in it and then had to make up a bunch for the other races for parity but it also has the fusion cubes so....

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just want someone to remake Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. A modern interface, some more species, a couple of new empires to choose from maybe. It would be cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t know, I enjoyed Armada 2. It was a mess of game systems and bloated with unit types because they had to have all the kitbashes in it and then had to make up a bunch for the other races for parity but it also has the fusion cubes so....

I agree, it was terrible in every respect. :v:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked setting the bots to really stupid in Klingon Honor Guard (when I could keep it from crashing) and watching them run out the shuttlebay door on one map and into space, where they'd shoot back into the station at me for a few seconds before they died floating away

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tighclops posted:

I liked setting the bots to really stupid in Klingon Honor Guard (when I could keep it from crashing) and watching them run out the shuttlebay door on one map and into space, where they'd shoot back into the station at me for a few seconds before they died floating away

Sounds like a glorious death to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

I agree, it was terrible in every respect. :v:

Sure but the fusion cubes were the fun kind of terrible. It felt like a reward for bad RTS players like me who do nothing but turtle and then send the biggest and most expensive units that mission gives you against the AI. And Armada 2 gave me a unit so big and so expensive it literally breaks the game’s camera perspective.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Google showed me the stupidest article now you have to see it too, star trek discovery spoilers: https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/08/star-trek-discovery-reminds-us-masculinity-good/

Orv
May 4, 2011

loving What posted:

James Aaron Brown is in dissertation for a doctorate in strategic leadership, in which he is focused on how to train non-profit leaders with communication skills to reach millennials and Generation Z in connection to competing worldviews.

I'm good thanks.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

Google showed me the stupidest article now you have to see it too, star trek discovery spoilers: https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/08/star-trek-discovery-reminds-us-masculinity-good/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0tf9Jm0hq8

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I hate this, thanks

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I got that too and I am wondering what terrible link I once clicked to get Google to show that to me.

And the whole thesis is garbage. It relies on there being a shift away from a decline in “quality masculinity” in the franchise, you know, from those beta male captains in modern Trek, like Picard, Sisko, and loving Archer (the biggest swinging-dick chud alpha there ever sat in a Starfleet captain’s chair). Yeah, what a bunch of soi bois! (In all fairness most men would look like a beta next to Riker and I could almost understand that specific mistake but Riker would be the first to admit that Picard is a man’s man.)

Thesis doesn’t hold up for the reboot movies either, with Thor Kirk, Pine Kirk, Greenwood Pike, Robocop, etc. Under a chud definition, who is the most henpecked beta? :spock:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Federalist is Nazi-adjacent trash, it’s no wonder the article doesn’t make any sense.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Federalist is Nazi-adjacent trash, it’s no wonder the article doesn’t make any sense.

If a news site gets posted and it looks dumb, always scroll to the About The Author section and get your assumptions immediately verified by some insane garbage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
True Masculinity is best described as: Beep Beep

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How can you be a Nazi and like Star Trek? How loving dumb do you have to be?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Half of Trek fans don't actually pick up on the themes of the show in the slightest and just like the space shots.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Dumb enough to be a Nazi i guess

Edit: no, dumber than that. Dumber than the average chud is not a good place to be

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Star Trek also has a huge Libertarian following. Right wingers love to enjoy poo poo on a purely surface level whilst completely ignoring any and all subtext, no matter how on the nose it may be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

From a certain point a view Star Trek is a show about the morally and logically superior humans going around the galaxy showing all the weird aliens how dumb and backwards they are.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Something something Dukat something Nazi (don't kill me Pick)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah uh, Trek is absolutely susceptible of non-leftist interpretations, and if you don’t see how this might be true of stories where a single officer leads his hierarchy to victory over alien forces through the power of moral rectitude and technology, there might be a problem in how you read them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As far as recurring thread derails go, this one is oddly specific.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

skasion posted:

Yeah uh, Trek is absolutely susceptible of non-leftist interpretations, and if you don’t see how this might be true of stories where a single officer leads his hierarchy to victory over alien forces through the power of moral rectitude and technology, there might be a problem in how you read them.

But what if those alien forces are the stand-in fascists.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or you just don't agree with the point being made but enjoy a well told story.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Nazi planet episode did have the Federation historian say that Nazi Germany was an "extremely efficient" state, so clearly that means the Reich is supreme in the starways.

I assume that was based on mid-60s economic history not being that good, since most assessments I have read of Nazi Germany suggested that most of their "miracles of production" were a mix of still (!) having slack in the civilian economy and a willingness to work slaves to death. Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm wrote checks off the bank account Bismarck and many other advantages has filled.

Anyway I can comprehend right-leaning or libertarian takes on Trek, especially when there was only TAS and TOS to go by and all you could really tell about the Federation is that it was vaguely like America, but in space. Harry Mudd does suggest a non-trivial underworld/trading economic situation.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Nessus posted:

The Nazi planet episode did have the Federation historian say that Nazi Germany was an "extremely efficient" state, so clearly that means the Reich is supreme in the starways.

I assume that was based on mid-60s economic history not being that good, since most assessments I have read of Nazi Germany suggested that most of their "miracles of production" were a mix of still (!) having slack in the civilian economy and a willingness to work slaves to death. Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm wrote checks off the bank account Bismarck and many other advantages has filled.

Anyway I can comprehend right-leaning or libertarian takes on Trek, especially when there was only TAS and TOS to go by and all you could really tell about the Federation is that it was vaguely like America, but in space. Harry Mudd does suggest a non-trivial underworld/trading economic situation.

Nazi-history, in general, was abysmally wrong in the 60's.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sash! posted:

Or you just don't agree with the point being made but enjoy a well told story.

It's this for the most part. I don't have to agree with something ideologically in order to like it. But even then, Trek often doesn't lean hard into specifically leftist ideology. A lot of its morality and idealism is universally appealing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

deepfake that puts nimoy onto discovery spock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZj0dni-qGo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/69Tm5KxkM8A

Star trek's ideology is leftist

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tighclops posted:

https://youtu.be/69Tm5KxkM8A

Star trek's ideology is leftist

this was actually posted a couple pages ago

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

this was actually posted a couple pages ago

I know, I posted it and it's good and topical

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tighclops posted:

I know, I posted it and it's good and topical

it's ok. i dont think he really nails it, and "the right wing loves military and this is technically military sci-fi"

I mean, it's really not. I've read a lot of military sci-fi, and its a very different flavor to Trek's "we're kind of a military I guess"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tunicate posted:

deepfake that puts nimoy onto discovery spock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZj0dni-qGo

"History will not provide an answer to your query Doctor. Instead the question you should be asking me is...what's wrong with my faaaace"

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mods please rename me Deepspock Chopra