Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The average American earns a tick over $30,000 a year. For forty years of that that's $1,200,000. That's assuming a totally average income over that entire time; if you apply yourself you can get up past that. Most people don't become millionaires obviously but it's definitely within reach of the average American if they want it badly enough.

There are 540 billionaires in America. That's it. 540. Three digits.

I guess if you saved $10k of that a year (not likely) for 40 years and averaged 4% growth you could almost get to $1m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The average American earns a tick over $30,000 a year. For forty years of that that's $1,200,000. That's assuming a totally average income over that entire time; if you apply yourself you can get up past that. Most people don't become millionaires obviously but it's definitely within reach of the average American if they want it badly enough.

Everyone else is pointing out what a bad take this is, but on the plus side it also has nothing to do with what's actually being discussed

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I feel like you've lost money in multiple MLM schemes and at least one Ponzi.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Everything Counts posted:

Everyone else is pointing out what a bad take this is, but on the plus side it also has nothing to do with what's actually being discussed

Also no one’s pointing out that thanks to the US education system, it’s how most people think about their income over here. A whole nation raised to be loving terrible with money because they can’t do math. :patriot:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Also no one’s pointing out that thanks to the US education system, it’s how most people think about their income over here. A whole nation raised to be loving terrible with money because they can’t do math. :patriot:

Uh yeah, math is for nerds. We're a nation of (armchair) jocks!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Please tell me they go into why she put up a cross for her Muslim friend, though? I don't have time to read it yet, so I hope that's explained.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

pookel posted:

Please tell me they go into why she put up a cross for her Muslim friend, though? I don't have time to read it yet, so I hope that's explained.

They shared their faiths, prayed together and Sabika went to church with her family and participated in services. I don't think she would mind her friend mourning her within her own faith.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Millionaires: "Man, life's been good. I'm going to donate some money to a charity."

Billionaire (literal thousands of billions): "gently caress these poor fucks, they shouldn't be poor."

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

I assumed this would be cheesy but now my face is damp.

It’s also a bit upsetting that this wasn’t a bigger deal around here and that nothing of this story seems to have stuck anywhere in the region besides with these two families (and the author, obviously). It would be neat if there had been a wave of Texan anti-Islamophobia to come out of such a heartbreaking and community-centered tragedy, but I’ve also seen firsthand how Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi won’t admit they lost the Civil War, so Learning Lessons isn’t the pattern down here.

Here’s some off-topic unnerving: The parish (county) courthouses in Northwest Louisiana have Confederate monuments near the main entrances, with engravings saying the courthouse will remain faithful to the ideals of the Confederacy. This does not sit well with citizens of color, who tend to prefer a justice system that views them as human.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Pastry of the Year posted:

Why do so many people seem to want to do these horrible things?

It's a symptom of a society in trouble. The stigma around mental health, and lack of (or access to) quality mental health services is an immediate problem.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The world has always been this lovely though. Right now is no different than any other time with the exception that we hear about things waaaaaay quicker than they used to. Change it from "Kpop star" to "landed noble" and the story could have happened in the 1300's.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Solice Kirsk posted:

The world has always been this lovely though. Right now is no different than any other time with the exception that we hear about things waaaaaay quicker than they used to. Change it from "Kpop star" to "landed noble" and the story could have happened in the 1300's.

Child sex trafficking and wealthy pedo rings are one of those things people prefer to not know about. It's a huge epidemic but it's so disturbing people shut down when confronted with the reality. It's easier to get mad at a Pizzagate than to realize your idols and heros are likely knee deep in this poo poo.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Obscene amounts of money can protect someone from the consequences of their actions, which makes it more likely for them to act on their worst impulses. I think the desire to do evil things is evenly distributed among all levels of wealth, it’s just that the poorer you are, the more likely you’ll be caught and punished immediately.

You know those crazy “Florida Man” stories everyone loves to laugh at? Imagine someone with that level of crazy but with enough money and lawyers to make every problem go away. That’s what we are dealing with as a society.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Read about the 2009 death of Jang Ja-Yeon and note the parallels.
*Checks out the other names at the end of the article*

quote:

In August 2004, Choi Jin-sil came forward as a victim of domestic violence. Subsequently, the advertiser, Shinhan Engineering and Construction, claimed she had not kept her contractual obligation to "maintain dignity" as she had disclosed to the public her bruised and swollen face which was caused by the violence of her then husband.[24][34]

On June 4, 2009, the Supreme Court reversed a high court ruling that decided in favour of Choi in a compensation suit filed by the advertiser in 2004 against the actress, who was the model for its apartments. In handing down its ruling, the Supreme Court censured Choi for coming forward and declaring herself a victim of domestic violence, saying it constituted a failure to maintain proper "social and moral honour". Her two children became defendants as heirs
:sterv:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

That's sickening

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like Castithan poo poo. Honor historically and globally seems to always revolve around the use of violence and tradition to silence dissent, and yet people love to bandy it about as something we're "losing." Nothing to lose but chains, etc.

pumpie2
Nov 17, 2009
Cyprus serial killer
Quote/

A suitcase containing the remains of a woman, believed to be one of seven victims of a suspected serial killer, has been discovered at the bottom of a lake in Cyprus, officials say.

It is the fourth body to be found in an investigation into what has been dubbed the island's first serial killing.

A Greek-Cypriot army officer has confessed to killing the seven women and girls, all of foreign descent.

Authorities have been accused of not investigating properly at the time.
/Endquote

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

Longform article which is unnerving in how the slightest thing can set off obsessive revenge. A wealthy California lawyer power couple feels thier child was insulted by a volunteer mom at the school and engage in a year long campaign of ruining her life.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/?src=longreads#chapter1
Great article, as someone brown who went to high school in irvine the whole time i read the story lowkey envious of the benefit of the doubt immediately consistently given to this nice lil white lady by the pigs
ELITE PRO SNIPER COP IRVINE: ...no way she could be the criminal!!!
Ive seen those bored motherfuckers chase jaywalkers down like bankrobbers 🤣

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like seriously, the idea of cops finding tons of drugs in your car and not immediately throwing you to the ground and painfully handcuffing you to be sent indefinitely into the loop...
"Hmmm...so you say...these AREN'T your drugs?"
Thats super dope
He doesnt even take her in

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
She didn't know she couldn't do that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1125857380468760582?s=19

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Oh, good. I’m sure the police will be very sensitive and respectful while interrogating emotionally distraught women who have miscarried.

E:should be pretty easy to squeeze out a false confession. Filthy baby-killers.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh, good. I’m sure the police will be very sensitive and respectful while interrogating emotionally distraught women who have miscarried.

E:should be pretty easy to squeeze out a false confession. Filthy baby-killers.
It gets worse, if that's somehow possible.

The whole point of these new super lovely abortion laws isn't to actually be enforced but to generate a case that the Supreme Court will take up that will effectively overturn Roe v. Wade. The hope for stopping that now rests with Roberts going rogue because Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh are a lock. Once that ruling comes down, laws like this are gonna look positively merciful by comparison.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
turns out the real death cult was america all along

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Kill the state of Georgia.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective Thompson posted:

:sherman:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Azathoth posted:

Once that ruling comes down, laws like this are gonna look positively merciful by comparison.

They are 100% coming after birth control next lol. I'm laughing because white women in the deep south looooooove the GOP.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm laughing because white women in the deep south looooooove the GOP.
i'm not because black women in the deep south generally don't, and they're going to suffer so much more

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nankeen posted:

i'm not because black women in the deep south generally don't, and they're going to suffer so much more

Yeah. White women can go across state lines a lot easier. Or can generally get away with breaking this kind of law.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Detective Thompson posted:

i moved here last year and am seriously like jfc sherman you should have just salted the goddamn earth after you and left it so ruined nothing coud have been rebuilt

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Whiz Palace posted:

She didn't know she couldn't do that.

Lol, that’s exactly what I thought of, too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
stop getting off on any women suffering you loving freaks

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pick posted:

stop getting off on any women suffering you loving freaks

These women deserved it for not behaving how I think they should behaving how I think they should.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i moved here last year and am seriously like jfc sherman you should have just salted the goddamn earth after you and left it so ruined nothing coud have been rebuilt confiscated all major assets from slaveowners and distributed them among former slaves

FTFY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you don't know sherman very well do you

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nankeen posted:

"Trashilicios posted:

Yeah. White women can go across state lines a lot easier. Or can generally get away with breaking this kind of law.

If you are not actually a white woman in the south, may I kindly ask you to shove these antiquated stereotypes up your rear end?

Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, Bowling Green are all mostly Democrat or Liberal. All except for Atlanta, is mostly white. OTOH, the small rural areas are mostly bible thumping Conservatives of both races.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"black women are going to suffer more" isn't an antiquated stereotype

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Also white women voted for Trump and black people are more likely to vote for Democrats so idk what point they're trying to make

Also "if you are not a white woman from the south" like.. not even trying to include black women huh??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

InediblePenguin posted:

"black women are going to suffer more" isn't an antiquated stereotype

ok wow are you seriously blacksplaining right now.

I just cant even