Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

You know, for kids!

Videodrome wasn't a movie for kids? Huh weird. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
https://twitter.com/spiderman1962_/status/1126175846539116544?s=21

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When we got hitched Spotify had the same version of Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love" from the Guardians soundtrack on it and we were able to play it at the wedding.

But last year they changed it to a different recording, which sucks.

We also used different albums we both love as the names for the tables at the wedding.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Makes a lot of sense, because he also has ties to Adam Warlock and Thor.

Yes I'm hoping GotG3 has Adam Warlock in it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope Starlord derisively keeps calling him things like "Johnny Wizard" or "Magic Mike"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Feige acknowledged today that Marvel will reveal it's post-Endgame plans after the release of Far From Home. Both SDCC and D-23 are after the release date, and oddly Feige would not comment on whether Marvel would appear at SDCC this year, claiming that was somehow a spoiler

There isn't an SDCC schedule yet, is there?

Anyway, it'll be cool to get more details on Black Widow, Eternals, etc. and the Disney+ shows, but I wouldn't expect a ton in the way of surprises. Marvel Studios currently have eight films dated through 2022 (not counting a likely Spider-Man 3, which is Sony's to set a date for), but we already know what six of those are (BW, Eternals, Shang-Chi, BP2, DS2, GotG3), and one of the remaining two is likely Captain Marvel. I also don't expect any announcements beyond 2022, given how much release date reshuffling they had to do after their 2014 announcements.

but we'll see in a bit over two months

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is it weird if I don’t really care about Black Widow, Shang-Chi, or Eternals? Of those, Shang-Chi has the most potential to be interesting but I’m still wary of marvel martial arts after Iron Fist, plus the action choreography in the MCU is pretty poor in general.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
instead of a black widow movie, they should just make it a disney+ show like hawkeye and have her rescuing and mentoring nadia

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think they may reveal more details that make these projects more interesting. The fact they are keeping quiet about Captain Marvel 2 makes me think maybe the title is some kind of giveaway, like it might be "Captain Marvel and Mrs Marvel" or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Marvel: Into the Negative Zone

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

teagone posted:

Captain Marvel: Highway to the Negative Zone

Fixed that for you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Into the Marvelverse

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Jake was waaay into being Mysterio

quote:

A job so amazing that—according to Mooney—Mysterio himself, Jake Gyllenhaal, fell in love with wearing the final suit. “In fact, [Gyllenhaal] wore it more than we expected,” Mooney told us on a tour of the film’s costume department. “You only expect him to wear it for scanning, and then maybe wear it when he’s on lighting reference. But he was wearing it when he was doing stunts—he’s been on wires with it. He’s on wires with it again, next week! It’s been used a lot more, which is always good.”

In fact, Gyllenhaal’s excitement to wear the suit meant that ultimately not only was it kept as a practical costume for much of the film, but the character actually physically wears it in more scenes instead of wandering around in civilian clothes.

“We were just assuming—since we did end up building a fully practical costume—that [Gyllenhaal] wouldn’t want to spend time in it,” Carroll added. “We had said [to him], ‘You can just look cool. You can just look like a cool mercenary man. You can have your t-shirt on, leather jacket and jeans.’ And he was like, ‘Can I be in the costume? I really feel the character, I get it.’ So, not only is this costume practical, but [Mysterio] wears it everywhere it makes sense to wear it.”

A big reason why superhero movies are good now, imo, is that you have very good actors taking the material seriously

Also: official Endgame clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKr3m6r9NI

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Fangz posted:

I think they may reveal more details that make these projects more interesting. The fact they are keeping quiet about Captain Marvel 2 makes me think maybe the title is some kind of giveaway, like it might be "Captain Marvel and Mrs Marvel" or something.

yeah, there'll probably be some of that, which should be cool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain and Ms. Marvel.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love Mysterio and I'm glad Jake Gyllenhaal does too

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Make a fully functional Mysterio suit for and I'll wear it too :shrug:

zoux posted:

A big reason why superhero movies are good now, imo, is that you have very good actors taking the material seriously

they cut out the dab, downvote

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I hope he kept that costume and starts wearing it at talk shows and the movie premiere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

I hope he kept that costume and starts wearing it at talk shows and the movie premiere.

Pull a Chris Pratt and steal the costume after filming is over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

"We were astounded that somebody would want to dress up like a superhero." As long as the thing isn't incredibly fragile, meant to be viewed in specific angles/conditions, or 20 lbs of foam rubber that stinks to high Heaven and is hot as Hell, who wouldn't be for it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

zoux posted:

For years everyone was too coward to bring Mysterio to the real world, now we finally ask and the actor won't take off the fishbowl. Godbless.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Ryan Reynolds also stole the suit he wore for Deadpool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there's no way chris evans doesnt have a suit from winter soldier because every straight woman, gay man, and bisexual person wants to gently caress him while he's wearing that

site fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 9, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That Mysterio costume ranks up there with Cap’s endgame scales, Doc Strange’s robes, and the Mark III, so I’m not at all surprised he wanted to wear it all the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, the Mysterio costume looks dope af. I'd wear that poo poo on set at all times if I were him too.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

site posted:

there's no way chris evans doesnt have a suit from winter soldier because every straight woman, gay man, and bisexual person wants to gently caress him while he's wearing that

But that one doesn't have America's rear end.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it weird if I don’t really care about Black Widow, Shang-Chi, or Eternals? Of those, Shang-Chi has the most potential to be interesting but I’m still wary of marvel martial arts after Iron Fist, plus the action choreography in the MCU is pretty poor in general.

It's not weird really. Not everyone is going to be excited over what are "lower tier" characters on the surface. But, who was honestly excited about Guardians before the first movie? Who was clamoring for an Ant Man movie in 2010? Black Panther was not a big seller and not a common name (compared to other super hero books) prior to his movie, any many consider that one of the best now.

So, if you're not super hyped about any of these properties, I don't blame you, and I don' think it's weird. But look at what has been done before with other "They're making a movie about who?" titles. And I just saw a recap of Neil Gaiman's Eternals story, and while I doubt we'd get an adaptation of that, I can see that being a hell of an introduction to a group you've never heard of before. Similarly, yeah, maybe the fight choreography has not been super impressive to date, but maybe if they make that the focus, they can do something really great - Though I don't think it's fare to compare Iron Fist to anything. Daredevil's fights are so much better

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Taerkar posted:

But that one doesn't have America's rear end.

lol person who never looked, spotted

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Finally saw Endgame. Some scatterbrained rambling for you.

I teared up. Not necessarily because of any particular sad scenes, but just the emotional buildup of this being a culmination of a decade's worth of work. It was just like a release, you know? Also "Your dad liked cheeseburgers too." :( Oh, and also the flower raft with Tony's first arc reactor. :(

I really liked how I thought I knew how the movie was gonna go, but it ended up doing things differently from how I thought they'd play out. I thought the plan was gonna be to take on Thanos and get the stones from him. Maybe possibly going back in time to get the stones from him. Like, the whole plot of the movie would be to prepare and go after Thanos. I never thought they'd loving kill Thanos in the first 20 minutes, and have to pull off a drat time heist by going back to previous points in time to borrow the stones from past movies. How everything played out, and who showed up in the movie, were some really well done moments and I absolutely loved it.

Dunno why people seemed confused about the time stuff. They explained it pretty clearly when Rhodey suggested killing Baby Thanos, and reinforced it when Bruce was talking to The Ancient One. Oh also wow holy poo poo I was NOT expecting to see her show up. Or like 10 other characters that showed up unexpectedly.

I mean, really, the whole movie was full of stuff I just was not expecting, and was surprising and satisfying. I went into this thinking it would be predictable, and I was proven wrong over and over again.

I also liked how people were so upset with Captain Marvel, feeling like this WOMAN character was being shoe-horned in to outclass everyone and be the macguffin that would save the day, and then it turns out she's just only kinda in the movie for a bit and, while she contributes, she is more of a background player than the definitive Ace in the Hole people expected. That said, I do hope we get to see more in the future of HOW Carol is a space hero, instead of just being told she's off doing space hero stuff.

Anyway, since I watched that, I was finally able to watch the Spider-Man trailer too, and have thoughts on it, in combination with Endgame.

Even though I SHOULDN'T be feeling confident in knowing what to expect from these movies, I do really feel like Mysterio is blowing smoke up everyone's asses and there is no multiverse. The concept of a Multiverse was spoiled to me through Twitter trends, so I was expecting Endgame to do something to suggest that. Maybe even explicitly suggesting a brand new universal reality by "undoing" The Snap, and then that hinting at multiple realities. But if anything, Endgame kinda shut the idea of a Multiverse down with its time travel. We'll see if they actually do something with that in the future, but I ultimately feel like it's a complete conjob by Mysterio.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm at the beginning of watching captain Marvel and you know what I'm really wishing Djimon Hounsou got a hero role so he could be in more movies, it's so depressing that he got stuck doing generic short villain roles after his big debut

Also, unrelated: did you know that carols suit is the viet cong flag? Lol i just learned this yesterday

site fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 10, 2019

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

site posted:

um, I don't
I just want to be held :shobon:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know, im thinking a missed opportunity due to disparate writing and filming schedules is a chance to have cap and tony go back in time and interact with past carol and nick fury at the Pegasus base

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Filming schedules have nothing to do with it. There's just no logical narrative reason for it to happen nor is there any emotional payoff for it to happen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was kind of ambivalent on I'm Just A Girl when i first saw CM but watching it again I'm having a lot of fun

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

I was kind of ambivalent on I'm Just A Girl when i first saw CM but watching it again I'm having a lot of fun

When Carol starts whipping rear end she's just having so much fun it's infectious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there any particular reason people were so shocked to see the Ancient One after they went back in time? Is Tilda Swinton just a really busy actress?

I've seen a lot of people basically say some form of "I did not expect the Ancient One to return", but Hulk running into her didn't feel particularly crazy to me at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it’s just the surprise of having one more big name in the cast, even for only a few minutes. I didn’t expect to see Robert Redford for a whole 30 seconds.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Macaluso posted:

Is there any particular reason people were so shocked to see the Ancient One after they went back in time? Is Tilda Swinton just a really busy actress?

I've seen a lot of people basically say some form of "I did not expect the Ancient One to return", but Hulk running into her didn't feel particularly crazy to me at all

And nobody really gave any thought to what the Ancient One was up to before the events of Doctor Strange. Seeing that she was in New York during the invasion was unexpected, and cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Open Marriage Night posted:

And nobody really gave any thought to what the Ancient One was up to before the events of Doctor Strange. Seeing that she was in New York during the invasion was unexpected, and cool.

But wasn't she specifically in the uh... wizard... sanctum (???) building? I guess it felt natural to me for her to be there, since Dr. Strange wouldn't have been there yet. I did think it was cool seeing her again though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Macaluso posted:

It's not that i didn't expect her, it's that i didn't know they were splicing into her timeline. But when i understood their game, it felt more than natural. They _Needed_ more Tilda