Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They're thinking about nerfing shields and/or buffing kicks.

I think kicks would have to be buffed quite a bit. For 1v1, just some more range or less recovery time would be ok, but in mvm situations kicking makes you really vulnerable to whoever else is around. Any other opponents don't have to worry at all about getting hit by it like they might by a weapon swing, so they can immediately punish you. Just having a shield guy on an opposing line is a massive pain in the rear end even if he's awful because you pretty much have to leave him alive until formations break up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Unless my kicks look and function like this I ain't interested in buffs

https://youtu.be/oWC6x4Qqwe4

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Finally reached level 5, unlocking some cool weapons. What's everyone's favorite loadout?

Is the estoc worth it as a stabby alternative to short spear and rapier? What else should I try? I am generally pretty bad with slow heavy weapons like the war axe etc but I might give them a whirl anyway

I'm a big fan of both the Messer and the Bastard Sword (which is an extremely good weapon for spamming stabs that also isn't total garbo when swung - consider it as an alternative to the spear/rapier) and would recommend giving them a try

3/3/2 with Messer, Throwing Axes & Bandage (or Tenacious) is a really solid build for skirmishing (and dueling honestly, since Messer is one of the best options for duels)

I also wouldn't say it's necessarily "good," but you can fit 2 fire pots into a 3/3/2 build with 4 points left over for a 1h weapon/perks, and that's been pretty fun for me in frontlines since something like a hand axe will serve you fine until you can pick up a beefy 2h option and sometimes you want to be the obnoxious fire pot man since it lets you break up clumps of enemies, harass archers, do area denial, etc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Change kicks to a shoulder charge so you can still move while doing it. The ability for shield users to just walk backwards out of range unless you're actively humping their leg when it starts is part of the issue I think.

Or increase stamina costs for every hit you absorb without dropping your shield.

E: I need to try a "full armor+perks" build and rely on scavenged weapons just to get used to more types.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Is the messer 1 or 2 handed?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Glenn Quebec posted:

i think its 2h with a 1h alt mode

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the tips! Will give the Messer a spin, sounds fun and I like heavy armored, heavy hitting types like the protector.

Btw got my first morph kill, swing to stab with the poleaxe. Guy was a scrub like me I think. It will take months but I will eventually git gud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWisQTaP6w

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 9, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes

(It along with the bastard sword are 1h/2h hybrids with alt mode changing your grip - Messer is default 2h and better used that way imo - note that both hit/block like 2h weapons in terms of stamina regardless of how they’re gripped, and damage/reach doesn’t really change either, just speed and animations)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

So... Messer + heater shield... Why haven't I seen that yet? Is 1 handed mode that bad?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glenn Quebec posted:

So... Messer + heater shield... Why haven't I seen that yet? Is 1 handed mode that bad?

Nah. The 1h and 2h modes on the messer and bastard swords are almost identical.
Kinda disappointing actually. I'd like to see some bonus damage or something for giving up a shield and getting two hands worth of strength behind your swings.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Glenn Quebec posted:

I found a guide with stats! Too bad it doesn't have details on how each weapon does against each level of armor, or the more obscure stats like turnspeed cap, but hey, still way better than comparing stuff in-game (Edit: it has full stats if you click on each weapon, but that's not very useful for quick comparisons)

looks like the messer has a very slightly slower release when held in 1 handed mode, which yeah, sounds bad unless you really need the shield's protection. I'd rather be able to parry sooner, those 25ms don't seem like much but every bit helps. That's assuming I understand how that works, which is not to be taken for granted :v:

I find the shield more of a team thing, it helps a lot in 1vsX situations while waiting for reinforcements or with certain weapons (love it with the rapier because I can let block go, fire a super quick stab, and block again - and it's also good with short ranged weapons like the mace because you can facehug much easier if you close in on them with shield raised), but if you're just blocking 1 guy he'll usually be able to outlast your stamina and/or find a way around the shield before you can kill him if he's half decent. But if you just want to wreck face, 2-handers are the way to go.

Also, duels and skirmish are fun and cool, deathmatch can be quite a blast every once in a while, and once you get good and/or can play with a bunch of people you know team deathmatch is great too, but frontline is my favorite mode right now. It really nails the chaotic "oh poo poo" feeling of a battlefield and having too much going on at the same time, frustration at your teammates being idiots, etc... it's frantic as hell and emerging victorious from a huge furball feels totally awesome

edit: I've been playing with bots from time to time and they seem smarter than humans: they flee when it makes sense to do so, they duck when you aim horizontal swings at their heads, and they mix up kicks, feints, ranged, firebombs pretty well. They're just much less aggressive and pretty poo poo at defending compared to humans, but there's things to be learned there :v: I really have to learn how to chamber properly

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 9, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I've been playing with the estoc to move out from rapier/spear only, and its ridiculously good at punishing people with no hats or level 1 helmets like the hoods. If you look up about three or four heads above someone as you stab, assuming they dont parry, you'll nearly always land a head shot. So it's a good way to jump into a slightly unbalanced fight for your team and immediately level the playing field by one shotting the obnoxious no helmet executioner sword guy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is my dude:

The white cross is just a placeholder until I can get the griphon emblem for a Flemish theme.

Also posting my epic 32-7-19 score :cool:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Archery in this game is weird. Mostly in that it's actually to weak to do much, you'll do 20-40 damage here and there but it's pretty hard to hit consistently with how slow arrows move. (You need a good half/second lead for a practical shot.) If you manage to land a hit on someone's uncovered dome you'll instantly take them out, sure, but that leads more to rushing up to a specific spot and hitting people at an angle you figured out as they come out of the spawn zone and hoping you get some heads. With the perk you also one shot all enemy archers too, of course, but the travel time makes it more of a duel on guessing which way the other guy will side step. Which is amusing, sure, but it does put archery in a pretty weird spot of being use impaired and just not contributing in a fight.

so the average sniper class but even more exaggerated then usual

the said the trick to defeating them is to a.) wear a helmet you doof and more importantly b.) if you think/know there are archers around just done move in a straight line and you're pretty much untouchable. If you're in a fight don't solely back pedal. All they can really do is try to punish you for being extremely predictable.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.
you can pick up the horse's poo poo and throw it at people for damage.

goty

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nah. The 1h and 2h modes on the messer and bastard swords are almost identical.
Kinda disappointing actually. I'd like to see some bonus damage or something for giving up a shield and getting two hands worth of strength behind your swings.

2h mode should make attacks faster imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

Archery in this game is weird. Mostly in that it's actually to weak to do much, you'll do 20-40 damage here and there but it's pretty hard to hit consistently with how slow arrows move. (You need a good half/second lead for a practical shot.) If you manage to land a hit on someone's uncovered dome you'll instantly take them out, sure, but that leads more to rushing up to a specific spot and hitting people at an angle you figured out as they come out of the spawn zone and hoping you get some heads. With the perk you also one shot all enemy archers too, of course, but the travel time makes it more of a duel on guessing which way the other guy will side step. Which is amusing, sure, but it does put archery in a pretty weird spot of being use impaired and just not contributing in a fight.

so the average sniper class but even more exaggerated then usual

the said the trick to defeating them is to a.) wear a helmet you doof and more importantly b.) if you think/know there are archers around just done move in a straight line and you're pretty much untouchable. If you're in a fight don't solely back pedal. All they can really do is try to punish you for being extremely predictable.

Don't stand far enough away that it takes a second for your arrows to hit. Get a recurve bow and a solid melee weapon and shoot people in the back from 10-20 feet away. Bows are secretly just Really Long Spears.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I made a messer and shield gladiator build and was top of the front line server I was on. It’s perfectly fine. Using a shield did feel dirty though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is it even possible to chamber sword stabs when you're using poo poo like the halberd or morning?

tangibly related but is there a reason to even bring out the slow weapons when parry > attack are not even faster than stab spam recovery for those weapons

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is it even possible to chamber sword stabs when you're using poo poo like the halberd or morning?

tangibly related but is there a reason to even bring out the slow weapons when parry > attack are not even faster than stab spam recovery for those weapons

You're probably hitting the button too early. Chambering isn't based on the weapon delay or anything. You have to start the swing right when their attack is about to hit you, so the timing is the same for every weapon.
Also parry->attack is slower than enemy's attack recovery for every weapon in the game. The only time you get a free hit without your enemy having a chance to block is when they swing at the air and whiff. Otherwise you've got to trick them into messing up their parry with a feint or drag or something.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I use my bow to make people understand that cheaping out and not investing in a helmet is a mistake. Same goes for naked people. The amount of hate you'll catch after you start getting practiced at it is hilarious. It also forced me to use short sword or dagger, which are both very fun weapons!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You're probably hitting the button too early. Chambering isn't based on the weapon delay or anything. You have to start the swing right when their attack is about to hit you, so the timing is the same for every weapon.
Also parry->attack is slower than enemy's attack recovery for every weapon in the game. The only time you get a free hit without your enemy having a chance to block is when they swing at the air and whiff. Otherwise you've got to trick them into messing up their parry with a feint or drag or something.

what's the whole initiative game then? I guess I need to get on duel servers when I have sleep but I thought you obtain an advantage after you parry a dude and attack. Is it just a stamina battle?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Initiative in very simple terms is this: You attack, hit but failed to combo, miss, get parried or blocked and chances are that the opponent will get to strike before you get to again. Your choices then are to parry, block or step out of range with footwork.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It really feels like sprint-lunging should have a noticeable stagger at the end of the swing - especially with large weapons - instead of being able to instantly recover and do it again. More commitment to attacks would (hopefully) get rid of some of the spam.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
As an old M&B player coming to this - I think the dodge perk may be both addictive and corrosive to my ability to block. I just ran around with a short spear and two sets of throwing axes on a Frontline map. Dodging people then stabbing them, or throwing axes at them then running away... good stuff.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
All you haters complaining about horse lords have obviously never picked up a billhook. One guy with a billhook dedicated to chasing down horses can easily destroy any cav advantage.

I would really like to see horses get a point cost because it is real annoying having one horse and only one map with lances and then your team idiot takes it to throw daggers at people instead of lancing.

Horses are cool and good for protecting your blob swarm infantry friends from pesky archers and killing lone reinforcements to the enemy blob.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PhantomZero posted:

All you haters complaining about horse lords have obviously never picked up a billhook. One guy with a billhook dedicated to chasing down horses can easily destroy any cav advantage.

I would really like to see horses get a point cost because it is real annoying having one horse and only one map with lances and then your team idiot takes it to throw daggers at people instead of lancing.

Horses are cool and good for protecting your blob swarm infantry friends from pesky archers and killing lone reinforcements to the enemy blob.

Lances are pretty unnecessary when you can just use any old polearm to do the same thing. Hell, the billhook can even be used as a lance substitute. Pull some cavalry guy off his mount and then you have the perfect weapon to steal the horse and gallop around impaling footmen.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Here are my dudes, I gave into my inner nerd and based them off of me and my friends tabletop gaming:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yea, but it's much easier when you have a little bit of space. But... then they just rechamber because the rapier stab is too fast.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cowcaster posted:

there's an objective on one where you haul powder kegs to towers so i'm not sure the point you're making here

wha- wow. Ok. The point I'm making is one is throwing big rocks to make AOE's from far away from the fun parts of the game while the other is entering the fun zone to make a big AOE.

Yaknow, game design stuff.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm trying different weapons out, and I made the mistake of going from polearm type weapons to the mace. It hits like a loving truck, but goddamn is it short.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I just had a match where I was 54 - 12. I've never done so well and loving nvidia overlay just would not click on. So loving bummed.

Well, at least got some posterity from that match, thanks to the general stats page:

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

lmao check out this fun and funny thing!!!

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

This combined with spamming V is how you really win games.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

unarmored engineer with a billhook is fun because you can pull motherfuckers onto spikes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goodchild posted:

I use my bow to make people understand that cheaping out and not investing in a helmet is a mistake. Same goes for naked people. The amount of hate you'll catch after you start getting practiced at it is hilarious. It also forced me to use short sword or dagger, which are both very fun weapons!

My current load-out is heavy helmet, medium body, and light legs. I don't know if that's optimal for a Veteran-based build, but it made sense to me. Most people aren't aiming for the legs. It does make bear traps very dangerous, though.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The executionor's greatsword is too good on frontlines because it is so stupidly long. I got a 3-man kill in one swing today.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I cannot for the life of me get used to using level 3 armour. Even just a helmet seems to have such an impact on your speed that it's a significant hindrance to controlling distance, and a full 3 loadout makes you borderline immobile. Besides, level 2 is generally enough to avoid 1hks from just about everything, which is more or less everything I want what with how easy it is to regain health.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's funny, the moment I swapped over to a zweihander and 131 armor my ability to fight well went way up. The zwei is definitely doing part of it, it does a lot of damage and absolutely shreds low armor people, but being able to control distance and dance around was such a huge part of what I was missing to get past some of the problems I was having. Sure I eat poo poo more in Frontline from random teammate swings or the occasional wild executioner wade in, but it's such a huge QoL thing to be able to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Conversely, if I put on anything less than 2/3/1 armor, I die all the time before being even able to strike once. 3/3/2 is a HUGE increase in survivability for me, since I almost never get out of a scuffle without a scratch, and with 3/3/2 armor it means I have time to deal some damage before inevitably getting ganked by a level 32 naked guy with a maul.

But then, I'm the one with the most deaths in the server usually, I end midtable because I get a semi-decent number of kills plus a shitton of assists and points from objectives.