Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
For a sport without playoffs soccer sure manages to have a long-rear end season. And when there's the world cup or the Euros it's like the season never ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

For a sport without playoffs soccer sure manages to have a long-rear end season. And when there's the world cup or the Euros it's like the season never ended.

It really only has an offseason if you aren't good enough to make your national team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Sash! posted:

I love football, but I don't need round the year football. I love sports, but I like having an off season where my nights and weekends aren't in front of the TV.

I secretly get relieved at the end of the european soccer season because my saturday and sunday mornings aren't in front of the television and it also coincides with the weather being nice. The offseason is good. If I really need to suffer some more I can always watch MLS!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

It really only has an offseason if you aren't good enough to make your national team.

That stretch of time where they had a Copa America every year for 3 or 4 years must have been brutal for the South American players.

At least the tournament qualifiers are a bit better at being spread out. Though now with 100000 money spinning tournaments and other bullshit they really don't get a break.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Burnley's first game of the season was a Europa league qualifier on the 26th of July, so they've been at it almost 10 months now

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
posted without comment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think with football it hurts the most considering the time of year they go on break, not so much the "break" itself.

The last college football game of the year was on Monday, January 7.

The last "saturday" football game was on January 12.

By the time January 19 takes place? You're down to two sunday games to watch. This is during a time of year when it looks the most "bleak" outside. There's generally no sunlight, it's cold and you're not really wanting to venture outside. Not to mention? The movie offerings are insanely slim. If you want to go the cineplex down the road? The movies being shown will either be some jumpscare horror flick, a really bad rom. com or a kevin james flick.

I've seen the NBA attempt to make "Saturday Night Games" a thing but for whatever reason? It doesn't feel like it translates as well. It feels a bit more at "home" on a Sunday afternoon or during the week so you can hear Chuck and Kenny make cracks during the intermissions.

It feels like this all becomes moot when March Madness starts. By that time? You're seeing some "live and die" moments playing out. Not to mention? Weather is insanely better.

So there is a "time period" where a spring league could work I think. It wouldn't be overkill, but would rather exploit a lack of entertainment options during that time of year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Burnley's first game of the season was a Europa league qualifier on the 26th of July, so they've been at it almost 10 months now
European club football is ridiculous now, especially since the invention of "post-season tours" in addition to go with the pre-season tours, and the winter break friendlies, and the numerous rounds of qualifiers to get into major club competitions. and FIFA increasingly trying to find ways to have national teams muscle into the football calendar and put even more pressure on major players.

EDIT - Another late-night guilty pleasure of living in the Western time zones: 10 PM Japanese & Korean baseball on the weekends.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 8, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
at some point there was a summer euoprean club competition specifically made so people could gamble on soccer in the summer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at some point there was a summer euoprean club competition specifically made so people could gamble on soccer in the summer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup

My favorite part about it was that there were like 15 winners each year. What a title!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It was theoretically kind of cool to get completely random rear end cross-european matches between clubs which normally would rarely qualify for European competition and would otherwise never ever play each other, like Dundee United playing Brescia or something

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

posted without comment

I saw that bit. I smelled feet for the rest of the day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
cricket is also basically a year-round sport, with the northern hemisphere teams or southern hemisphere teams hosting matches and T20 tournaments depending on which side of the earth has summer or not, though they don't play nearly as many matches in total as club football (or baseball teams)

trying to think of any other sports which are effectively year-round, I figure rugby might be since it's played widely in both hemispheres? Tennis has an offseason lasting like two weeks also

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1126158020965281792?s=21

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

soggybagel posted:

I like van gundy. Am I the only one???

He's kind of turned into a caricature these days instead of an analyst. But I do appreciate him trashing the Bulls ownership and front office every time he does a Bulls game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mic'd Up was really good. I guess now that they're a staple on all the cable packages, they can cut costs a ton and still charge the high carrier fee.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I liked Mic’d Up and Playbook. The rest are meh.

Mic’d Up seems like a goofy one to cut since that’s mostly just editing poo poo they already film together.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

cricket is also basically a year-round sport, with the northern hemisphere teams or southern hemisphere teams hosting matches and T20 tournaments depending on which side of the earth has summer or not, though they don't play nearly as many matches in total as club football (or baseball teams)

trying to think of any other sports which are effectively year-round, I figure rugby might be since it's played widely in both hemispheres? Tennis has an offseason lasting like two weeks also

Motor sports is effectively year-round, there’s not much around Christmas but basically only having December off from major events/series. Formula E, WEC going to the soccer season and the Asian Le Mans Series going from Nov-Feb overlapping with everything else going March-November means there’s enough in the northern winter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's only a couple months too between the last Formula 1 race and the 24 Hours of Daytona, which are to me the end and start of the major racing seasons.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I was checking what the final Premier League matchday is going to be like, and since all of the games are on at the same time, NBC is stretching to get as much on TV as possible, which leads to such pairings as:

Spurs vs. Everton on SyFy
Watford vs. West Ham on the Golf Channel
Man U vs. Cardiff City on USA
Fulham vs. Newcastle on the Olympic Channel that you probably don’t realize you have
Burnley vs. Arsenal on MSNBC

Unrelated thread relevant content:
https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1126230299598176256?s=21

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

There's only a couple months too between the last Formula 1 race and the 24 Hours of Daytona, which are to me the end and start of the major racing seasons.

gently caress NASCAR runs from the 2nd week of february to loving late november.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

July to February is more than a couple of months :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
or are you counting the races where everyone but Mercedes has completely fallen apart and yet they still race

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

So I was checking what the final Premier League matchday is going to be like, and since all of the games are on at the same time, NBC is stretching to get as much on TV as possible, which leads to such pairings as:

Spurs vs. Everton on SyFy
Watford vs. West Ham on the Golf Channel
Man U vs. Cardiff City on USA
Fulham vs. Newcastle on the Olympic Channel that you probably don’t realize you have
Burnley vs. Arsenal on MSNBC

ain't nothing like seeing people complain that there's soccer on syfy/e!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

or are you counting the races where everyone but Mercedes has completely fallen apart and yet they still race

Criteria: Does Formula 1 have a race that day? If yes it counts.

tl;dr: yes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Criteria: Does Formula 1 have a race that day? If yes it counts.

tl;dr: yes.

so July then

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

well this season it's right now

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well this season it's right now

look theres a chance Bottas could* win

*- Bottas won't win

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's nice of NBC to commit to showing all those games even though only two of them matter. Although it's not like much else is on Sunday morning

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's not much point watching Formula 1 this year.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This has been true for like a decade but also espn has the rights now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does ESPN do anything with Formula 1 other than show the sky feed for races? Is there a hot takes show where they talk about F1?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Does ESPN do anything with Formula 1 other than show the sky feed for races? Is there a hot takes show where they talk about F1?

they did the Sky feed, then started doing their own with commercial breaks and people bitched so much they went back to Sky.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Which is impressive because Sky's commentary sucks rear end. I never liked Leigh Diffey but I miss NBC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

they did the Sky feed, then started doing their own with commercial breaks and people bitched so much they went back to Sky.

Nah, it was still the Sky Feed, but with side-by-side breaks, then Mothers Polish ponied up the cash for commercial free.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
y'know I'm a car guy but I read that as a bunch of moms descended from poland paid for ad free

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Which is impressive because Sky's commentary sucks rear end. I never liked Leigh Diffey but I miss NBC.

Feels like a great sense of disconnect between the Sky Sports crew and the American Race fan.

The first F1 telecast was Jim McKay from Monaco for ABC WWOS giving everyone a familiar face to attach to.

During the 70s? ABC carried it with Sir Jackie in tow and CBS covering it with Ken Squier, Hobbo, Brock Yates and I believe Brett Lunger, Dan Gurney on a few races.

80s-00s? Again similiar crew. Varsha pretty much took the reigns along with the aforementioned Hobbo, and a few others.

This is not dismiss the accomplishments of Martin Brundle, Damon Hill, Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta or David Croft. Brundle has a LeMans win, Hill has a WDC, etc.

But it feels a bit as if I'm watching a replay of Blancpain or BTCC on CBSSN rather than what I've generally been used to as a race fan. The lack of commercials is indeed a plus but I would have loved to have seen what NBC/NBCSN would be doing about now considering all the rights they've picked up lately.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you want open-wheel racing where legitimately 10 different guys could win any given weekend, IndyCar is right over there.

If you want to watch Ferrari fanboys crying over their Italian team behaving Italian, then sure, watch F1.

If you want the promise of F1 (the top manufacturers creating something and having a shot to win in wheel-to-whee action) then skip four wheels and watch MotoGP instead, this season has been quite good so far.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Motogp is actually the series to watch if you want to see obnoxious tiny interchangeable Spaniards repeatedly win everything in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Also I signed up for BR Live for a few months because I hate money, and also because of the Champions League, and I somehow missed the biggest draw of the service, which is the Belgian Pro League. Apparently they will also have the Swedish cup competition, I'm licking my lips.

I want to see them pick up even more mid tier domestic leagues nobody watches. ESPN+ already has a head start with the Swedish and Danish leagues, so BR needs to pick up the Polish and Croatian leagues or something to compete.