Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So the same things as parks except you paint university grounds zones and plop down university buildings inside it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

So the same things as parks except you paint university grounds zones and plop down university buildings inside it?

That would be my guess given the preview image. It looks a lot like a university campus.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That's.. kinda cool, I guess.

I mean, I usually do basically the same thing but purely decoratively already, building a park-like area around the main university building with some sports court buildings and parking lots and a few identical high density residential buildings of various sorts and a couple office buildings.

Like everything else I don't expect it to actually do anything substantive with the mechanics of education and how your cims get educated by osmosis just by education buildings existing in the map, or that education is essentially meaningless anyway, but the potential quality of life improvements for building decorative university campuses are interesting. I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/1126517274985271299

:shrug:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I hope I can buy it and not have an American-centric university.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

I hope I can buy it and not have an American-centric university.

I think you're out of luck considering like 75% of the trailer was about college sports

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://store.steampowered.com/app/944071/Cities_Skylines__Campus/

quote:

Back to school! In Cities: Skylines - Campus, university life abounds with new area types for any sort of student - Trade School, Liberal Arts and University. Increase the reputation of your campus by attracting students and creating Academic Works to unlock new buildings. Build five types of varsity sports arenas and nine unique faculties, employ seven new policies, earn seven new achievements and take on five new maps! Campus takes higher education to new heights with everything you need to graduate magna cum laude.

Key Features:

Degrees of Freedom
Zone for new campus area types - Trade School, Liberal Arts College and University. Increase reputation by attracting students and creating Academic Works and unlock new buildings!

Var-City Sports
Bring college sports to your city by building football, basketball, baseball, track & field, and swimming arenas. Manage your teams, hire coaches, sell tickets -- and collect prizes for winning matches! Customize your teams with unique jerseys, busses and security.

Syllabuster
Employ seven new policies including book fairs and for-profit education. Sponsor academic works by handing out research grants and supporting the staff.

We Fancy
Display your scientific achievements in Museums.

Cheers!
Celebrate with your citizens during graduation ceremonies.

Ludocartography 101
Five new maps for your building!

Three New Chirper Hats
Be the big chirp on campus!

:shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How in the world did they not include soccer, lol.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
No interest here. And yeah no soccer from a European country seems really strange.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That's a big "wait for massive sale" for me announcement. Especially since the game economy and crime stuff is still so shallow.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There's apparently going to be some sort of changes to education in the free update, but that's the last thing that CO is going to talk about in their dev diaries.

ToastyPotato posted:

That's a big "wait for massive sale" for me announcement. Especially since the game economy and crime stuff is still so shallow.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll do a supermax prison zone type where you also hand plop everything next.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The game's been out for five years or so. Aren't we due for a true sequel with an updated engine and mechanics based on this stuff built-in and addressed for already?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The game's community manager talked about how they decide on their DLC today and it sounds like they go with the most requested suggestion on their forums, which seems like it'd turn into a feedback loop of only the people who liked the last expansion sticking around to suggest things for the next expansion.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Who wanted to build universities?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been pretty done with any official CO content since the game first released. I'd love a CS2 but I sincerely don't think their current team is up for the task. Maybe if they hired the communities best modders or at least gave them a huge hand in some of the core designs, but I think fundamentally CO just isn't great at understanding the actual core mechanics people like most of us in this thread want out of a city builder, and even if they did would bungle the design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean this idea of freeform plopping areas isn't bad but like, I'm not paying for an additional DLC for each possible type of them?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I mean this idea of freeform plopping areas isn't bad but like, I'm not paying for an additional DLC for each possible type of them?

Yeah, kinda seems like something they should have just done as a pack.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or as the foundation of a sequel, with some improvements to the traffic management.

I'd pay for something that integrates TMPE functionality into the game and draws the road markings/plops down hard medians as appropriate.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, more fugly vanilla assets I have to use mods to not load so that I have RAM for every Korean-applicable asset in the workshop

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I've been pretty done with any official CO content since the game first released. I'd love a CS2 but I sincerely don't think their current team is up for the task. Maybe if they hired the communities best modders or at least gave them a huge hand in some of the core designs, but I think fundamentally CO just isn't great at understanding the actual core mechanics people like most of us in this thread want out of a city builder, and even if they did would bungle the design.

Eh, I think one of the biggest issues is that they have to tack on additional systems via DLC whilst keeping it all the same engine and mechanics with and without it and making sure that it's not essential and people who don't have it have a fine experience, which means it all has to be shallow and ineffectual.

If they did CS2 they could dig in and break stuff to remake it better.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If they make it so that trade schools, "liberal arts" and "university" are different types of last stage education that different jobs need then the DLC could, possibly, maybe, be sort of neat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder what new vehicle spawning "utility" they're going to add. More pointless agents on the roads. Maybe delivery drones?

turn off the TV posted:

If they make it so that trade schools, "liberal arts" and "university" are different types of last stage education that different jobs need then the DLC could, possibly, maybe, be sort of neat.
It's 100% just going to be the same education levels system as currently.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

It's 100% just going to be the same education levels system as currently.

I think that goes without saying.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

OwlFancier posted:

Paradox DLC practices = release tons of DLCs that could have been bundled or just have been patches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah but stellaris isn't quite this half assed even if it's becoming increasingly half assed. And I don't play any other paradox games cos they're really overpriced.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Uughhhhh I think I’m just gonna wait till CS2 at this point. This is something I love on paper, but after buying Parklife and Industries, these DLCs just seem like extra layers of lipstick on a shallow pig.

obligatory :shrug: smiley

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Paradox community manager heavily implied that they actually are reworking the education system with the update, so maybe there's hope.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Am I right in assuming that industries isn't very challenging and just fucks up traffic? Is it worth getting?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy it, it's marginally more challenging than the base game and rewards you for having very good cargo transport systems.

It actually does make sense, industries extract raw resources from terrain, and ship it to processing facilities, processing facilities ship it to factories, factories ship it to commercial districts to sell, and all of this is simulated so you will benefit from having warehouses to increase your shipping capability and using cargo trains to move it between the different areas. You can also export it directly and each map connection type is to a different city so for maximum output you want to connect to road, rail, sea and air, and the game will do things like trucking the export to a rail depot then railing it to the port.

It's not realistic but for a game mostly about traffic management, making all the stuff flow smoothly is as good of a challenge as the game is likely to give you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

um excuse me posted:

Am I right in assuming that industries isn't very challenging and just fucks up traffic? Is it worth getting?

From what I've heard/seen, if you like playing the vanilla game and solving traffic problems and having cities that are 75% infrastructure 25% actual buildings it provides a lot more moving parts for your transport puzzles. If you're more into hammering the base game into something more closely resembling a realistic city painting tool then it just adds a bunch more ugly traffic-spawners that further drills into you that nothing in this game is remotely to scale.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The real trick is building your city not to be car centric, then very few people use cars.

Industries are still a bit truck happy though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The base game is a level editor with a traffic sim tacked onto it.

My last 150 hours of time in game has been working on this map/theme. :shepface:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a way to make highway exit / merge lanes that doesn't look like complete rear end?

Traffic-wise, it seems to work fairly well if you have a highway go one lane wider a bit before an exit and then use the traffic mod to make use that lane and only that lane is for exiting. Same thing in reverse for merging.

But going from one road type to another is always aligned by the centre of the road, not aligned by lanes, so you get this nonsense:

It works but it looks like garbage.

Is there any way to make your 3-lane -> 4-lane highway connections look like this:

instead of like this?:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure what you mean by nonsense looking, but maybe I'm just used to it. Use the Move It! mod to shift the 3 lane section over to align with the shoulder you want. Then drag the closest 3 lane node towards the 4 lane node to make the lane shift less obvious. Don't move it too close or else traffic will slow down to traverse the short length you've created between nodes.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

Is there a way to make highway exit / merge lanes that doesn't look like complete rear end?

Traffic-wise, it seems to work fairly well if you have a highway go one lane wider a bit before an exit and then use the traffic mod to make use that lane and only that lane is for exiting. Same thing in reverse for merging.

But going from one road type to another is always aligned by the centre of the road, not aligned by lanes, so you get this nonsense:

It works but it looks like garbage.

Is there any way to make your 3-lane -> 4-lane highway connections look like this:

instead of like this?:

You have discovered why there are mods for manually drawing lanes

Welcome to Ultrahell

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Entropic posted:

The best thing you can do is just make everything really big and use the shallowest angles you can for merges, since in reality interchanges and even on/off ramps take up a ton fo space. Use Fine Road Anarchy to make the actual merges look good and Network Extensions to get more road types, different highways, etc.

If you want to go really crazy, Ronyx Expressway highway assets are the best looking highways out there, but they are super difficult to use and peak mod jank. You have to put in all pillars manually. But it looks pretty sick.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 10, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bold Robot posted:

If you want to go really crazy, Ronyx Expressway highway assets are the best looking highways out there, but they are super difficult to use and peak mod jank. You have to put in all pillars manually. But it looks pretty sick.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Paradox DLC practices = release tons of DLCs that could have been bundled or just have been patches.

Ah yes, how dare they fund the continued support of their games by releasing paid content on the side? Good and honest thing to do would be to leave their games to rot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a fine line between funding ongoing support and milking it for cash.

And a lot of PDX DLC is close to, and on either side of that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i forgot to set this as my workshop descrption for my latest uploads