Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

5er posted:

Does the game have a ridiculously solid PvE class choice, akin to WoW's DK's or hunters? Thanks for putting up with the sad sack questions!

In terms of ease of use/effectiveness? Probably Samurai I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Samurai won't be available from the getgo if you're starting fresh. Pugilist to Monk is good and if you want to try Samurai, it has the same basic loop behind it and the gear is shared.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

5er posted:

Alright, so if I hold off a bit and hop back in with the Shadowbringers expac, once it goes live it'll contain Heavensward & Stormblood.

Does the game have a ridiculously solid PvE class choice, akin to WoW's DK's or hunters? Thanks for putting up with the sad sack questions!

You can get HW for free now, though. No reason not to grab it unless you're certain about waiting till ShB.

Most classes are really good at PvE. The differences in power matter little for content outside of dedicated raiding, and there's plenty to do outside of Savage/Extreme, like the puggable raids are quite good. Really I'd say it's about playing the class(es) you find fun. RDM and SAM are easy to onboard to, but you'd need Stormblood to play them. Also bear in mind we'll likely see some class changes with ShB. We should know more about those in a few weeks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you want solid fun, be an Archer, which turns into Bard. It's my main and I love it.

Everything is viable though, and any character can be everything.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i'd say the only classes that don't feel really good in world/msq content are healers. they're practically invincible but being slightly slower at killing stuff really adds up over the course of all the mobs you have to kill.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just note, no class can go ham and pull like 4-5+ mobs like you can with a hunter or tank in wow. only thing that bugs me about this game while leveling.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

queeb posted:

just note, no class can go ham and pull like 4-5+ mobs like you can with a hunter or tank in wow. only thing that bugs me about this game while leveling.

noted and promptly tossed in the garbage and set on fire by WAR's berserk/overpower combo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Scholars have Miasma 2, it is their AoE attack.
Ah, okay. I played SCH in the past and just assumed it was cross-class

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

a witch posted:

Super late but can you share what items you're using for this?

Head: Carborundum Hat of Casting
Chest: Skallic Jacket of Casting (Soot Black)
Arms: Scion Rogue's Armguards
Legs: Carborundum Trousers of Casting
Feet: Scion Rogue's Boots

The Scion Rogue stuff is a.) cash shop and b.) gender locked, unfortunately, but I imagine most other tall boots and long gloves dyed soot black would work too. 90% of the outfit is the hat and the jacket.

Not pictured, but the Ala Mhigan Rod (also soot black) pairs real well with it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

is there no way for me to sort my inventory automatically?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

S.J. posted:

is there no way for me to sort my inventory automatically?

Right click > Sort

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bleu posted:

Right click > Sort

jesus christ i kept trying to right click the empty spaces. kill me

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah, okay. I played SCH in the past and just assumed it was cross-class

The saga behind Miasma II is kind of amusing to me.

It was once just an Arcanist skill, used as part of AOE. But then came Stormblood and the Great Skill Culing.

Miasma II was removed from the game, part of the general consolidation of DoTs and AOE nerf. This was fine for Summoner because the job has tons of AOE. But then there was the Scholar. Miasma II had been basically its only AOE after Bane and Shadowflare. Dungeons became hell with Scholars because while White Mage and Astrologicans could Holy/Gravity spam mobs to death SCH was stuck with individual casts of broil.

Naturally this lead to massive outcry by any Scholar player. So Miasma II was very quickly slotted back in as a Scholar exclusive skill with massive potency buffs.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

S.J. posted:

jesus christ i kept trying to right click the empty spaces. kill me

look at this fancy pants with their empty inventory slots

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

5er posted:

Alright, so if I hold off a bit and hop back in with the Shadowbringers expac, once it goes live it'll contain Heavensward & Stormblood.

Rdm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's weird that Summon 3 gets an Ifrit icon, but you don't get Titan or Garuda ones to replace 2 and 1 when you unlock them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

5er posted:

I feel like ACN/SMN/SCH deserves a mention as the pet class of the game with very good AoE capabilities. Plus leveling it gets you both a DPS and a healer that you can swap between as you see fit. You can do MSQ stuff as SMN for the quick-killing power of DPS and queue for dungeons as SCH for faster queue times. Of course that does come with the difficulties of trying to gear up both roles and learning the abilities of two very different classes, though you don't necessarily HAVE to try and learn/gear both, you can just stick to one. It's just there as an option to have another role leveled without actually leveling a separate job.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 10, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To this day I do not understand how to play SMN, but I'm an okay SCH.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I became a caster main after I applied to my raid group as a scholar at 2.0's launch, but they already had a scholar, so I ended up as summoner since I naturally also had it at level cap already. Been the group's caster dps role ever since. It's amusing to me how that weird artifact of the class/job system that probably will never happen again affected that decision.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kerrzhe posted:

this is what chocobo saddlebags are for though

My saddlebags are full of things like anima weapon pieces, primal and raid tokens/pages, and 24 man coins, plus a few stacks of allagan pieces for when the next reconstruction is the doman enclave part dos. Anything I rarely use but need to keep track of easily.

Kwyndig posted:

To this day I do not understand how to play SMN, but I'm an okay SCH.

It's gonna be great in ShB when summoner gets another layer to the JO so their full rotation is 5 minutes long.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

There's a new text letter from the producer, and gently caress me that Hrothgar actually looks really really good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's a new text letter from the producer, and gently caress me that Hrothgar actually looks really really good.

Hrothgar...good?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Showing off the /spectacles emote too, clever.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Letter from the producer, not live posted:

Addendum—On Adding Younger-Looking Playable Characters
Among some of the feedback we received were requests for playable characters that resembled young boys and girls. Unfortunately, this is one request we cannot consider for ethical reasons.

With every passing year the debate surrounding moral and ethical issues in games grows more intense, and we do not want to present children in battle or in pain—and posing such characters sexually and taking screenshots and so forth would be expressly forbidden.

In any event, regardless of what our players did or did not intend to do, the fact remains that if a review board were to evaluate such content and determine it were unacceptable, we would be forced to suspend FFXIV’s service. We ask that you keep these factors in mind as we strive to abide by the changing standards of the times.
:allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm sure the reddit threads for this are a real hoot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Talk to Transformer got weird

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Welp, my meager expectations have been met. Those /spectacles shots are pretty on point.

Still won't use my two free fantasias to change into them though.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Give these designers your salary for the month!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Viera being able to wear glasses might just tip the scales towards me trying them, but, Christ, please get that dev team a nice vacation.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hrothgar looking good

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah, seriously..I expected they would eventually make it possible, along with other stuff over time in the patches but not spending precious personal time in what is already a demanding crunch to get everything finished on time. Nobody wants a repeat of when they collectively broke themselves and needed a month to recover.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This post from YoshiP once again proves that it’s not that we didn’t get male viera because of hrothgar, it’s that we didn’t get female hrothgar because of viera.

So once again - gently caress viera, they are a lovely fan service race that is boring as gently caress and just suck all around. I’d trade them for hrothgar without a second thought.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This post from YoshiP once again proves that it’s not that we didn’t get male viera because of hrothgar, it’s that we didn’t get female hrothgar because of viera.

So once again - gently caress viera, they are a lovely fan service race that is boring as gently caress and just suck all around. I’d trade them for hrothgar without a second thought.
I'm going to fantasia into a Viera because I like Viera.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'd bet a shiny nickel that we'll have playable baracat ladies and bunny boys by the end of the expansion after Shadowbringers. Having one half of each race puts their foot in the door for eventually adding in the other somewhere down the line, and the devs don't really strike me as a group of people who like to leave a job half finished (to the detriment of their work-life balance).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mordiceius posted:

lol

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I vaguely feel Viera are kinda close to Miqoute conceptually, and didn’t like any of the non FFT Ivalice games so I’m not particularly into them, but it’s still cool to have them.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Lol

Are we not looking at the same picture because

good god I'm gay

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to fantasia into a Viera because I like Viera.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'd say source your quotes but your posts are generally this bad anyway