Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

packetmantis posted:

:thunk: I wonder what the protagonists of other AC games have in common that Connor doesn't.

Him being non-white isn't the issue, if that's what you're insinuating others to mean, but his characterization and the plot he's stuck in. The lack of vertical traversal outside of forested areas also sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terces posted:

Rogue definitely sold less than AC3 did and was not a good game. I recall more about Connor than Shay honestly - I had to google just to remember what his name was. I mean seriously, what WAS Shay's personality?

But none of this talk is a game glitch, fortunately NPCs showing up unexpectedly in cutscenes happens in multiple AC games! :allears: Here's one from Unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzsFMsIZPM

If i got bored real quick with syndicate and lost interest in black flag, is there any chance of me liking any other AC game?

Bummer unity sucks bc that seems like one of the more interesting time periods out of the series

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Regular Nintendo posted:

If i got bored real quick with syndicate and lost interest in black flag, is there any chance of me liking any other AC game?

Bummer unity sucks bc that seems like one of the more interesting time periods out of the series
Syndicate was pretty good as the unnumbered titles go and Black Flag is one of the high points of the series, so chances are that you probably won't.

You might like the new ones that are basically not even AC games at all anymore and really more like action-RPGs. Skyrim without magic. Well, less magic. Odyssey and Origins, check them out. Personally, I really hated them, but different strokes for different folks.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Regular Nintendo posted:

Unity sucking honestly is overrated right now, it was a goddamn mess at launch to say the least but when I played it a few months back, it was a serviceable game about stabbing guys in the kidney with three of your best friends with only a few graphical glitches the series is known for. Also if you didn't like Syndicate you're not going to like any of the other ones, they're very similar games and know what they're marketing to (namely, people who want to parkour around historical settings and stab people in the kidneys)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Origin and Odyssey are very good and radically improved

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Unity runs a lot better than it did at launch, that's for sure. I didn't really care for Arno in particular, but the gameplay was solid and France looked good. Really it just plays like every non-recent AC game, so if that was your issue with Syndicate you might have the same problem. If you simply found the setting of London boring (and who could blame you), maybe France is more up your alley.

I personally loved the fast paced combat of Origins and Odyssey, but like previously said the gameplay is very different compared to the older games. It's still a lot of parkouring up cool historical buildings and stabbing/shooting dudes while uncovering another templar conspiracy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just be aware that there is a crazy amount of empty space in those games. The game worlds are ginormous, like, it'll take you literal hours to walk from one end to the other, but the flipside of this is that there is also not a whole lot of anything to actually be found in most of it. Out of a hundred different generic villages, maybe five or six actually have anything unique in them. Mostly they're entirely interchangeable, with the exact sme three shops in every one of them, with the exact same inventory. If you choose not to fast-travel constantly, you will spend a lot of time riding through very pretty, but also very empty Greek wilderness.

Personally, I quickly found myself thinking that while there were plenty of places for me to go, I didn't really feel like there was a whole lot worth seeing. I appreciate the ambition that went into those games, but I think they would've benefited from being pared down by 90% of the sheer area they cover. It's what I like better about the old pattern games: they're more compact, but also a whole lot more content-dense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cardiovorax posted:

Just be aware that there is a crazy amount of empty space in those games. The game worlds are ginormous, like, it'll take you literal hours to walk from one end to the other, but the flipside of this is that there is also not a whole lot of anything to actually be found in most of it. Out of a hundred different generic villages, maybe five or six actually have anything unique in them. Mostly they're entirely interchangeable, with the exact sme three shops in every one of them, with the exact same inventory. If you choose not to fast-travel constantly, you will spend a lot of time riding through very pretty, but also very empty Greek wilderness.

Personally, I quickly found myself thinking that while there were plenty of places for me to go, I didn't really feel like there was a whole lot worth seeing. I appreciate the ambition that went into those games, but I think they would've benefited from being pared down by 90% of the sheer area they cover. It's what I like better about the old pattern games: they're more compact, but also a whole lot more content-dense.

Wow, that sounds incredibly realistic. :razz:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have been told that Odyssey is apparently the next best thing to actually backpacking through real-world Greece, if you just want to see the landscape and such. I found it really boring and samey, but hey, they are very popular games. Clearly there's an appeal to it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
assassins creed has been all downhill since the third ezio one

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I found Origins to be really fun but it's definitely not like the original AC games. The only glitch I encountered was Bayek trying to dive into solid ground (dove into water too close between a boat and the shore).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Terces posted:

Rogue definitely sold less than AC3 did and was not a good game. I recall more about Connor than Shay honestly - I had to google just to remember what his name was. I mean seriously, what WAS Shay's personality?

He was Irish.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Famously white Altair and the guy from the Egypt one.

Ezio is the only white guy and italians have only been white for like 100 years.

Edit:not sure who the black flag guy was tbh. Connor again?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Connor's very super Welsh grandfather.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ok so two white dudes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

His first mate was a former slave who got his own dlc/shorter spinoff game. And then you assassinate him in AC:Rogue.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Origins but didn't care for the other games in the series. I tried really hard to see what the appeal was with the previous titles, and they just weren't for me.

I'll always remember Petruccio's face, though. Always.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoFt5COu0D8

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

packetmantis posted:

:thunk: I wonder what the protagonists of other AC games have in common that Connor doesn't.

Yes, the game series which has had Egyptian, black Caribbean, three different women, Middle-Eastern, and native American main protagonist sure is racism because they have also had one French, one Irish, one Greek, two British and one Italian main male protagonists. And this is just the "main line" 3D games. There is at least one Chinese, second middle-eastern and one Russian protag. if we count all other releases.

Connor isn't liked because his writing is terrible, the voice actor was wooden at best and the game itself was set to a location which had really limited amount of content that was not clone-stamped colonial hovels.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 12:42 on May 10, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, seriously, gently caress that noise. I would've found Connor equally uninteresting if he had been the whitest white guy in the history of white bread. I actually put him on a level with Altair, writing wise. They're both the same flavour of generically bland and unoffensive, which made the game feel like a step backwards for reasons that have nothing to do with his skin color.

I certainly wouldn't mind playing an AC game with an actual black protagonist for once, come to think of it. It's not like the series is still plot-obligated to stick with people who could conceivably have been Demond Miles' ancestors. Or maybe someone from India. Lots and lots of historical temples and giant cities to be an rear end in a top hat in, there. It's an ancient civilization on par with Egypt that way, after all.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, seriously, gently caress that noise. I would've found Connor equally uninteresting if he had been the whitest white guy in the history of white bread. I actually put him on a level with Altair, writing wise. They're both the same flavour of generically bland and unoffensive, which made the game feel like a step backwards for reasons that have nothing to do with his skin color.

I certainly wouldn't mind playing an AC game with an actual black protagonist for once, come to think of it. It's not like the series is still plot-obligated to stick with people who could conceivably have been Demond Miles' ancestors. Or maybe someone from India. Lots and lots of historical temples and giant cities to be an rear end in a top hat in, there. It's an ancient civilization on par with Egypt that way, after all.

India would be rad, I think there was a chronicles game set there. Assassin's Creed: Liberation iirc had Aveline being able to pass as black or white be a gameplay mechanic, but I haven't played most of the games.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

xthetenth posted:

India would be rad, I think there was a chronicles game set there. Assassin's Creed: Liberation iirc had Aveline being able to pass as black or white be a gameplay mechanic, but I haven't played most of the games.

There's plenty of time periods and places in China (and South-East Asia) that would be absolutely killer for an Assassin's Creed game, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Assassin's Creed: Liberation iirc had Aveline being able to pass as black or white be a gameplay mechanic, but I haven't played most of the games.
This sounds like one of those things that could be really interesting or really uncomfortable, but yeah, they've churned out enough shovelware side-games at this point that I haven't played the majority of titles anymore either.

Ratoslov posted:

There's plenty of time periods and places in China (and South-East Asia) that would be absolutely killer for an Assassin's Creed game, too.
I would pay good money to climb around the Forbidden City and kick Liu Bei's rear end. Doesn't have to be at the same time, but it wouldn't hurt either.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, the game series which has had Egyptian, black Caribbean, three different women, Middle-Eastern, and native American main protagonist sure is racism because they have also had one French, one Irish, one Greek, two British and one Italian main male protagonists. And this is just the "main line" 3D games. There is at least one Chinese, second middle-eastern and one Russian protag. if we count all other releases.

Connor isn't liked because his writing is terrible, the voice actor was wooden at best and the game itself was set to a location which had really limited amount of content that was not clone-stamped colonial hovels.

Unfortunately Altair is pretty bland, Connor is pretty bland. It sucks that both Aveline and Adewale were regulated to side games instead of being full blown protags in their own massive games (they were more personable and are characters I would have liked to see more of). It also sucks that the three platformer side games have even more minority protags with interesting settings that should've got full games. Bayek actually had his own full game, was done super well and out of all the assassins I found him the most likeable. Origins as a whole was really, really good.

Ezio, Edward, Arno, Jacob and Evie, Kassandra and Alexios were well explored and liked. Shay is really the only weak link in this group I'd say.

I can kinda see why someone would bring up racism, that's not a very good track record. But Origins was great for story, setting and characters so Ubi definitely improved on that, I hope they keep it up. I'd like to see the chronicles get full games, the settings are solid and there is a poo poo ton you can work with in India, China and Russia. Asia has a lot going for it in general - I mean I'd love to play an assassin set in the Mongol Empire.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I can kinda see why someone would bring up racism, that's not a very good track record. But Origins was great for story, setting and characters so Ubi definitely improved on that, I hope they keep it up.
It's actually a very good track record, when you compare it to the industry standard.

It's unfortunate that the protagonists of the main series games have mostly been generically white people, but there are enough sympathetic and interesting people of all races and genders throughout the games, especially if you factor in the side titles, that only one of those really annoying screamy idiot types could call the developers systematically racist and expect it to be taken seriously.

It's a thing to legitimately criticize and I'd be the first to play a game that has a bit more variety to it, but it doesn't pay to lose all sense of proportion about it either.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Odyssey also scores points for being one of very very very few AAA games where the protagonist can be bi/gay.
(And then immediately loses them again for having a DLC where they forcibly turn them straight to slam out a baby, even though there's no longer a need for genetic descendants of them for the game's premise to function.)

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I thought the AC: Odyssey issue was over the achievent/trophy being titled "Growing Up" and not so much just Kassandra having a kid.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It was both. They talked about letting you play a gay/bi character pre-release and forced you into a straight relationship in the DLC to get an unneeded baby and the trophy for completing the DLC was "Growing Up" which when paired with the un-gaying has the unfortunate connotation that being gay is something you 'grow out of'.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Please post more NPCs being where they shouldn't videos.

Anyone have that mystery drama game where the dude just starts dancing like he's about to gently caress in the middle of the club grinding his dick and all that?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also I feel like Syndicate was the first time a trans man was just a trans dude, instead of having him explain all the usual woke media thing where now he represents all trans people and talks about his struggle.

He's just a cool shady business dude. Maybe he just has a weird voice and his suit doesn't fit well, but I was pleasantly surprised there's no bullshit story contrivances regarding it and they just let him be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Veotax posted:

It was both. They talked about letting you play a gay/bi character pre-release and forced you into a straight relationship in the DLC to get an unneeded baby and the trophy for completing the DLC was "Growing Up" which when paired with the un-gaying has the unfortunate connotation that being gay is something you 'grow out of'.
In Ancient Greece (and many other places) it was entirely commonplace for bi-/homosexual people to have families and offspring simply because it socially expected and an heir was just needed, but otherwise keep having their fun outside of marriage. The idea of a distinct sexual orientation didn't really exist until the beginning of the 20th century, so maybe they were just referencing that particular historical tidbit?

In all fairness, coupled with the name of the trophy, it really doesn't look good, so that's kind of a gently caress-up either way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

dialhforhero posted:

Anyone have that mystery drama game where the dude just starts dancing like he's about to gently caress in the middle of the club grinding his dick and all that?

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo08vOFbFC0

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dialhforhero posted:

I have no idea what video you're talking about but it reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhQE1z4dmM

(Not actually a glitch but whatever)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Not strictly an NPC where they shouldn't and probably a classic at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Different game, same bug.

https://i.imgur.com/pLhxkRs.mp4

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the video of an Assassin's Creed Unity game where in the middle of a cutscene a pair of NPC bystanders spawn, and you can't even hear what the main characters are saying over the sound of two really rude Frenchmen? I thought I had it saved but I can't find it now.

Edit: thanks! Somehow missed it.

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 08:07 on May 11, 2019

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Last post of the previous page

Terces posted:

But none of this talk is a game glitch, fortunately NPCs showing up unexpectedly in cutscenes happens in multiple AC games! :allears: Here's one from Unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzsFMsIZPM

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Different different game, same bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ60S_13Sc&hd=1

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jufGDHQgKDE
This just happened to me. Not a bug per se but really good timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Yet another different game, still the same bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFLYk1k9UE

Please excuse how horrible, blurry and dark everything looks, Crysis 2 was just like that and it is not a bug :cripes: