Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Also, if I recall, the entire game was built around a complete Lord Of The Flies PVP model, with players operating and constructing all towns, destroying other towns, having to log on to defend their poo poo, death makes you drop all your poo poo, theft and destruction gets you better poo poo, etc. There's a reason nobody does this, and it's because players won't pay 10 bucks a month for the experience of getting their asses kicked by unstoppable rear end in a top hat bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

moths posted:

Robin Laws made a career out of publishing dubious DM advice in a snarky tone.

If that's Laws what words could you have left for John Wick?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ratoslov posted:

Also, if I recall, the entire game was built around a complete Lord Of The Flies PVP model, with players operating and constructing all towns, destroying other towns, having to log on to defend their poo poo, death makes you drop all your poo poo, theft and destruction gets you better poo poo, etc. There's a reason nobody does this, and it's because players won't pay 10 bucks a month for the experience of getting their asses kicked by unstoppable rear end in a top hat bandits.

I mean, in general, yeah.

On the other hand:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The release was right after the highwater mark for subscription MMOs anyway - the whole genre feels like it's been winding down.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Who doesn't want to visit all of these identical settlements?

(It looks like a bunch of turtles in a swamp, to me.)

Also:

from a year ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed and it's still on the first page of their forum posted:

Currently most players do not even see stuff typed in the help channel. You have to intentionally go into the help channel when you first login or anything typed in there remains invisible to you for that session.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

I mean, in general, yeah.

On the other hand:

Remember that Kickstarter backers also got a free period to try the MMO out once the alpha went live. It was a set open period that everyone had to do, and if you happened to be unable to access your computer while it was up, you were hosed.

Oh and the devs couldn't tell you what would happen if you put items in a chest in your house, then destroyed the house and the chest. As far as they knew the items were lost forever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh and the devs couldn't tell you what would happen if you put items in a chest in your house, then destroyed the house and the chest. As far as they knew the items were lost forever.

That's not quite true!

They knew it was probably somewhere in the item database.

They just didn't know how to access the item database.

Maybe they could've put more time into figuring out their own game if they hadn't been distracted by fear of the Looming Goon Menace.

the Steve Jobs of MMO marketing <url=wizards.com> posted:

I know exactly why the Goons came to EVE. They'll not find the laissez faire reception in Pathfinder Online that they did from CCP. We have to treat the Goons, and folks like them with the Litany Against Fear. (Or maybe the Serenity Prayer)

I play a lot of poker. There's almost nothing in the "rules of poker" about player behavior. (Well, the WSOP seems to be going down that route; maybe they'll wise up before it gets out of hand, but I digress). In poker there's all sorts of behavior that isn't pleasant, but also doesn't break the community standards for behavior. On the other hand, there are such standards and if you've been around that world for even a short period of time, you'll see them and you'll see them enforced.

This situation evolved because the people who created that world had very strict personal standards for what was and was not OK, and they used the tools at their disposal to embue poker society with those same standards. They perpetuate themselves because most people in the community prefer those standards to a "be as jerky as you want as long as you don't violate the letter of the law" society.

Some of that is enforced by the host of the game. Some is enforced by the dealer at the table. Some is enforced by other players. Some is enforced by the community as a whole. Multi-layered, multi-faceted.

And it evolves. Behavior towards women that was accepted in the past is often not today; poker society adapts. New faces show up who have little direct experience with their community except the medium of chat boxes and maybe discussion forums; yet they are swiftly mainstreamed (or the community violently rejects them and they drift away).

Poker's not the answer for MMOs but it's an example of a community where there's a lot of hard core competition and mind games and even some pain and suffering that has not allowed itself to degenerate the way some MMOs have; or walled itself off behind attempts to make rules for human behavior that anticipate every kind of wrongdoing and the process for redressing those grievances.

Only in MMOs (in my experience) is the intolerable tolerated. Like I said, it's the Original Sin of the format. It has tainted and warped the field since Ultima Online (and really, even before in some respects).

A key rule of business is that you look for need/gaps. Things people want but that they can't get. Giving folks a game where there is PvP, but not grief, seems to be to be a valuable need/gap.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That Old Tree posted:

Maybe they could've put more time into figuring out their own game if they hadn't been distracted by fear of the Looming Goon Menace.

The griefing would have been glorious, you have to admit.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

mllaneza posted:

He'sAlreadyDeadSimpsonsGif.jpg

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ryan Dancey actually succeeded in making a goon-proof game by making a game nobody wanted to play, not even goons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, I doubt goons would stay around to grief after the initial period or whatever. The game needs to be fun even if it's a trash heap and I doubt PFO could be like Age of Wushu.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Is there some sort of thread repository of goon guild stories? I know GoonFleet's various shenanigans in EVE, and I remember hearing about how batshit Age of Wushu's mechanics were and some of the exploits thereof, but I know there's got to be more out there.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Not AFAIK. People can burst quoting stories from before in a game's respective thread but AFAIK there's no thread specifically for that. SS13 is also good for stories.

Here's one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There used to be a griefing stories thread, a while back. A little digging turned it up in the goldmine. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

e: rabbit joke in wrong thread

Nessus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 10, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Everybody's favourite edgy designer named Zak is asking his Kickstarter backers to help him compile an enemies list again. Maybe he was keeping his old one in google plus?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm pretty sure Goons murdered me in Haven and Hearth, I bet that was a hoot for them. I miss that old version of the game.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I've thought about doing this, actually; but it'd be pretty ballsy to claim expertise while never having even attempted to write & publish a RPG product. So I'd have to do some proper research and talk to a bunch of professional game publishers; my standards for something I'd print with my name on it are way way higher than just talking poo poo in a forums post.
Why put your birth name on it when "Leperflesh's Guide to Publishing" would be so much more eye-catching?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Warthur posted:

Why put your birth name on it when "Leperflesh's Guide to Publishing" would be so much more eye-catching?
Yeah you should absolutely title it that now.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Everybody's favourite edgy designer named Zak is asking his Kickstarter backers to help him compile an enemies list again. Maybe he was keeping his old one in google plus?
He'll probably have help too, sadly. Anyone still keen on Demon City is likely to be solidly in his corner, and he's putting some serious leverage on the sense of co-ownership and community which Kickstarter already tends to foster naturally.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I, for one, as someone who would someday like to maybe possibly publish some RPG hacks and things, would deeply appreciate even a 'cheap and dirty guide to formatting a fun technical document for RPG games.' And would definitely toss $5 at one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

I, for one, as someone who would someday like to maybe possibly publish some RPG hacks and things, would deeply appreciate even a 'cheap and dirty guide to formatting a fun technical document for RPG games.' And would definitely toss $5 at one.

I'm not trying to discourage Leperflesh here, as I think they'd also have a lot to contribute, but Kevin Crawford already kinda sorta tried to do this:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144651/Exemplars--Eidolons

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Warthur posted:

He'll probably have help too, sadly. Anyone still keen on Demon City is likely to be solidly in his corner, and he's putting some serious leverage on the sense of co-ownership and community which Kickstarter already tends to foster naturally.

The backer comments are full of people mad at him.

And him fighting with them, of course.

It's pretty amazing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

He has a moral obligation to always speak the truth at every opportunity, don't you know? It's why he's still fighting the FailForward fight. It would be immoral of him to not hound Fred Hicks at every opportunity or find something more productive to do with his time!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mllaneza posted:

The best way to grief Pathfinder Online players was and I guess is to let them play the game in peace.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

The backer comments are full of people mad at him.

It's pretty amazing.
Mixture of that and bootlicking is what I see. ("Good on you. Never bow or apologize to this sort of behavior." "Stay strong. I believe in you." etc.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thranguy posted:

If that's Laws what words could you have left for John Wick?

poo poo, I got them confused again.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Ratoslov posted:

There's a certain class of MMO player who keep posting this as their wishlist for a game... because they think they'll be the unstoppable rear end in a top hat bandits. Except 99% of them won't, they'll be the people getting crushed. Basically they're MMO libertarians.

No one except Paizo/Dancey was dumb enough to give them what they thought they wanted.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

He still has the old list, there’s just a lot more people to add now. It’s just distribution of effort, why would he do it himself when he can get rubes to do it for him? Except he doesn’t have any good way to herd rubes anymore (and also has fewer rubes).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Your forums posts are more professional than the industry's publishing standards. Just write up 16 or 32 pages on the Oxford comma, why "OPPONENT LOSES NEXT TURN" can be misread as an auto-win, and some other stupidly dumb common mistakes writers make by refusing to blind playtest or revise anything.

Is that how Frank Trollman got "you can only tag yourself" out of D&D 4E, or whatever nonsense he was on about?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There's a certain class of MMO player who keep posting this as their wishlist for a game... because they think they'll be the unstoppable rear end in a top hat bandits. Except 99% of them won't, they'll be the people getting crushed. Basically they're MMO libertarians.

No one except Paizo/Dancey was dumb enough to give them what they thought they wanted.

I've got to point out there's dumbshits like me that really unironically enjoy playing games exactly like that, in games like Haven and Hearth. Foraging for berries and nuts for meager survival and being chased by wild boars until my legs collapse only to be killed by a Russian for being within 10km of "his" high quality clay is unironically the peasant death simulator that I love.

There's literally dozens of us!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, EVE only works because Iceland has discovered a way to tap into the power of spaceship nerds with high income.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Is that how Frank Trollman got "you can only tag yourself" out of D&D 4E, or whatever nonsense he was on about?

I think Trollman's tortured logic involved how enemies were defined in 4e.

This is a reference to the old MtG Timewalk card, which famously said "Opponent loses next turn."

You'd play it, end your turn, and automatically win because now it's the next turn and your opponent loses.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It was even dumber than that. He saw a rule that powers that targets "allies" can't target you unless the power specifically says it can, and that "enemy" is defined as "combatants who are not your allies". He took this to mean, since you are a combatant and aren't considered an ally, that you are your own enemy. It was a reading you would only arrive at if you were looking to interpret the rules in bad faith, but, Trollman.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheArchimage posted:

It was even dumber than that. He saw a rule that powers that targets "allies" can't target you unless the power specifically says it can, and that "enemy" is defined as "combatants who are not your allies". He took this to mean, since you are a combatant and aren't considered an ally, that you are your own enemy. It was a reading you would only arrive at if you were looking to interpret the rules in bad faith, but, Trollman.

https://youtu.be/0VxLQZPqI2M

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Aw, and look at his twitter: Molly Crabapple is still buying into his sensitive artist crap. Someone didn’t spend a lot of time reflecting on why Weev was able to sucker them, huh?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanlis posted:

Someone didn’t spend a lot of time reflecting on why Weev was able to sucker them, huh?

I googled into this and can't imagine how anyone can unerringly go two for two on scumbag Twitter crushes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PinheadSlim posted:

I've got to point out there's dumbshits like me that really unironically enjoy playing games exactly like that, in games like Haven and Hearth. Foraging for berries and nuts for meager survival and being chased by wild boars until my legs collapse only to be killed by a Russian for being within 10km of "his" high quality clay is unironically the peasant death simulator that I love.

There's literally dozens of us!

Really, the bigger problem is PFO is a boring, buggy, mess. Nothing worth trying and therefore nobody worth trying to grief.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

Really, the bigger problem is PFO is a boring, buggy, mess. Nothing worth trying and therefore nobody worth trying to grief.

Oh yeah, I've smelled poo poo on PFO since day one. I usually fall hook, line, and sinker for ambitious nerd projects but anyone with a brain could tell it was never going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is not an exaggeration, and it's damning. When people who have been griefing Urban Dead for years don't even bother with your game because it's too poorly-designed and boring, you know you've been party to an all-time gently caress-up.