Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

So what is a boy to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

mojo1701a posted:

So what is a boy to do?

Cocaine for a good portion of the 80s and 90s

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Was that real sherry Frasier and Niles were drinking on set, or was it just apple juice?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

kelsey is on pills and everyone else is on fear of kelsey

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Was that real sherry Frasier and Niles were drinking on set, or was it just apple juice?

It was actually a light Madeira, and every mention of it being Sherry was a joke at the expense of the déclassé viewers.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My wife:

"Roz's hairstyle is designed specifically so it doesn't make a difference if she's wearing headphones or not."

Me:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

kelsey is on pills and everyone else is on fear of kelsey

Terror leads to ACT-ing!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

So what is a boy to do?

what if frasier but it's just for the fellas

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dick van dyke should have been married to a man instead of mary tyler moore and they should have had graphic sex on screen

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Focus on other things to distract yourself, like when patrons in Cheers come in, order a drink, don't pay, don't drink it, and leave.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Or that based on habits and diet, Norm should've died long before the final season

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Or that based on habits and diet, Norm should've died long before the final season

To this day I'm upset The Hungry Heifer isn't a real place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man remember how niles kept giving Maris the time of the day after their divorce like a big stupid idiot simp

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Calaveron posted:

Man remember how niles kept giving Maris the time of the day after their divorce like a big stupid idiot simp

lmao and it implicated him in a drat murder ahahha

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cosmik Slop posted:

Focus on other things to distract yourself, like when patrons in Cheers come in, order a drink, don't pay, don't drink it, and leave.

Was a bar tab a thing back then? I know The Simpsons did a number of jokes about patrons having bar tabs, but I have no idea whether that was still a thing into the 80s or if those were throwback jokes.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bar tabs are still a thing in 2019 if you're regular at the right bars.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was reading a news story recently about a bar shooting and bar tabs are illegal in some state I can't recall.

You can take that fact to the bank.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Solice Kirsk posted:

To this day I'm upset The Hungry Heifer isn't a real place.

There are so many places in the Frasier extended universe I'd like to eat at.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wanna buy really expensive dog food and cookies from Roberrrrrrrrrrt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Frasier and Niles go to Le Cigare Volant and get to meet with Mabel about their meeting with the ghost. Mabel is surprised at the attention they have received. She explains that everyone who is close to Niles has been affected by an incident on their homeworld, and some of them have become possessed. They are worried about the fate of their children

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't finished Frasier.

Ex and I were going through it and broke up about season 8.

I think I need a fresh start, some season 1 hair is just what I need to kickstart my life back up.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

True story: circa 2003 my neighbors were two cute girls and I had the hots for both of them and they invited me over to watch Frasier once and instead of saying yes I barely hid my disgust and said no thanks

My apartment didn't even have cable.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

True story: circa 2003 my neighbors were two cute girls and I had the hots for both of them and they invited me over to watch Frasier once and instead of saying yes I barely hid my disgust and said no thanks

My apartment didn't even have cable.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Powerful.

I was working as a waiter and 2 hot as gently caress girls complimented my car and asked for a ride back to a local campsite to hang out after their dinner.

I said I was already done and went home to play everquest.

Frasier used to play b2b also, so I had that going for me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There are so many places in the Frasier extended universe I'd like to eat at.

I think it was mentioned a couple of times that the steakhouse Martin took the boys to would have been completely overrun by hipsters a few years later.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I wish they had Frasier novels. There were Psych novels, so I don't see why there aren't Frasier novels.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwPSvQMbm8

That cat :3:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Christoph posted:

I wish they had Frasier novels. There were Psych novels, so I don't see why there aren't Frasier novels.

I don't know if situational comedy translates well to book form. I'd also like to point out that because of your post I now know there is a Psych movie I have not seen with another one on the way. So thank you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Powerful.

I was working as a waiter and 2 hot as gently caress girls complimented my car and asked for a ride back to a local campsite to hang out after their dinner.

I said I was already done and went home to play everquest.

Frasier used to play b2b also, so I had that going for me.

Congrats on successfully avoiding being murdered.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't know if situational comedy translates well to book form. I'd also like to point out that because of your post I now know there is a Psych movie I have not seen with another one on the way. So thank you.

They could just use the existing characters and make them solve mysteries, duh. Crane Boys Mysteries all grown up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Written by Garth Ennis.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Frasier novel would have to be written above the actual vocabulary level of the show in order to not feel dumbed down. People think of Frasier as a “smart show” but it’s actually just a very silly show with big words and waistcoats.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

So what is a boy to do?

Swallow.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Darthemed posted:

Written by Garth Ennis.

I'd read this.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

[INTERIOR CELLAR]

Niles: "Frasier, the murderer is in the house. Quick, grab something to club him with!"

*Frasier takes a wine bottle of the shelf to brandish*

Niles, holding a cat o'nine tails taken off the dungeon sex toy table "Not that one Frasier, that's the 2002 Quinta das Carvalhas!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

A Frasier novel would have to be written above the actual vocabulary level of the show in order to not feel dumbed down. People think of Frasier as a “smart show” but it’s actually just a very silly show with big words and waistcoats.

It’s a smart show about smart people

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean it's a smart show but so was Cheers; the veneer of sophistication is unrelated.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I mean it's a smart show but so was Cheers; the veneer of sophistication is unrelated.

Veneer, drink!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the interest of discussion, what made Frasier a “smart” show? The wine? The fancy objet de artes

I watched S1-8 in like 3 weeks and dropped off as soon as Niles & Daphne ruin everyone’s lives and weddings. I love the show but never really got the impression is was “smart” over the sense that it was a show “about smart people”.

The best gags in the show are DHP physical acting and comedic timing, Frazier’s delivery, Martin’s ancient dad wisdom, and Daphne’s white trash upbringing stories. I guess if “well-written” is interchangeable with “smart” I’ll concede the point but I wanna know what you think makes Frasier a “smart” show and not just the 90’s Big Bang Theory (a show about Smart People).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Veneer, drink!