Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sebmojo posted:

(Andrew WK quote)

That would be triumphant. Andrew is one of the great party philosophers, arguably the greatest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'd settle for a DOOM/Bulletstorm hybrid.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Some more footage from various points in the early game, there's some really cool poo poo throughout this one. He stops talking around 6 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMIUUFd550

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If you don't care about language barriers here's a french bethesda stream of them playing the game for about an hour. From a missionish area, to looking into towns, driving around, generic combat, some exploration around and - unfortunately, the return of racing minigames.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQg-Vq2zQk

Okay yeah this got a chuckle out of me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQg-Vq2zQk

Okay yeah this got a chuckle out of me.

Yeah, that takes the slow road from "heh" to actually funny.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I got a laugh when they talked poo poo about Rage’s ending

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There's a point in the second act when you can tell the devs/writers ran out of time and/or interest and had to wrap things up.

Not that the story in Rage was particularly creative or nuanced but it kinda just skips straight to "... then the bad guy died. The good guys won and everyone lived happily ever after. THE END."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Rage 2 launch trailer quite literally has the "*freeze frame* Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here..."

:laffo:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 9, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Holy poo poo giant Sandworm! :woop:

Good trailer, very self aware.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Review copies are out and the embargo lifts on the 13th, usually a good indication the devs have faith in the game. Here's a preview from the guy who's probably spent the most time in rage 2 so far: link

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, I thought Bethesda didn't send out prerelease copies anymore.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mordja posted:

Oh, I thought Bethesda didn't send out prerelease copies anymore.

Bethesda is already still in hot poo poo about 76 and the fact that Bethnet is a tire fire of codework. They likely didn't want that to spill into any other game at the moment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone let me know when the Polygon Doom guy releases his gameplay footage.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

I'm sorry to inform you that the "Polygon Doom guy" finally slipped into a vegetative state at the end of last year and has yet to recover.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Don't worry we can have Cuphead tutorial guy sub in.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

I'm sorry to inform you that the "Polygon Doom guy" finally slipped into a vegetative state at the end of last year and has yet to recover.

Woah for real? That's awful

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

The racing minigames weren't bad. The board game one wasn't either.

That five finger filet one can go gently caress itself though...

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mordja posted:

Wait, you mean he wasn't in a vegetative state when he recorded that footage 3 years ago?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Donovan Trip posted:

Woah for real? That's awful

No. Doom guy is Arthur Gies and he's fine. He's been pursuing an Fine Arts degree for the past ~two years while still doing freelance reviews and consulting (he gave input on Spider Man during development, for example) and is about to graduate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had Rage for the 360, I must've picked it up for £10 not more than a couple of months after launch. I actually really enjoyed the gunplay, the various ammo types for the guns was a great little addition as who doesn't love a game that's so stupid you can shoot bullets that shoot more bullets themselves??

One of the things about it that I enjoyed and was kinda surprised at when I found out about it was the way you got out of the various bases you wandered into. Most games would have you complete it then re-load you into the main area or have you wander back. Rage always had a quick escape route back to the main map in the form of a zipline. It was such a simple thing to do I wondered why I'd never seen it before.

2 looks really fun, I'll definitely grab it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The first RAGE had probably the best bullet impact physics&animations of the shooter genre. Stuff actually reacted properly to being hit. Not sure how I feel about the sequel though, to me it seems they wanted to go all out Fury Road but drifted into Borderlands 2 territory.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I had Rage for the 360, I must've picked it up for £10 not more than a couple of months after launch. I actually really enjoyed the gunplay, the various ammo types for the guns was a great little addition as who doesn't love a game that's so stupid you can shoot bullets that shoot more bullets themselves??

One of the things about it that I enjoyed and was kinda surprised at when I found out about it was the way you got out of the various bases you wandered into. Most games would have you complete it then re-load you into the main area or have you wander back. Rage always had a quick escape route back to the main map in the form of a zipline. It was such a simple thing to do I wondered why I'd never seen it before.

2 looks really fun, I'll definitely grab it.

I like that stuff too. I think the Souls games are the king of that kind of design. Some people might think of this design as contrived but I always love walking into a space and being wowed by the fact that the game was able to hide that I circled around back to where I started. If it's done well, and it usually is, you don't even notice it.

The zipline technique is cool too. Whatever way they do it, anything is better than the Skyrim way of making you trudge alllllll the loving way back through the big empty dungeon you just cleared.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 10, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

GreatGreen posted:

The zipline technique is cool too. Whatever way they do it, anything is better than the Skyrim way of making you trudge alllllll the loving way back through the big empty dungeon you just cleared.

Then you better get ready for more of that cause opening up a ladder/zipline back to the start is how Mad Max handled getting back to the start of the larger outposts/bases.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GreatGreen posted:

Most dungeons in Skyrim twisted back on themselves and gave the player a handy shortcut right back to the entrance (mostly via inaccessible doors or one way switches), didn't they?

Not sure how Just Cause handled things as I haven't played any of the recent games but hopefully they'll keep design philosophy similar to Mad Max and either give you a shortcut out the location or build things in such a way that you enter on on side and exit out another so you don't need to run back through an area you already cleared.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hammerstein posted:

The first RAGE had probably the best bullet impact physics&animations of the shooter genre. Stuff actually reacted properly to being hit. Not sure how I feel about the sequel though, to me it seems they wanted to go all out Fury Road but drifted into Borderlands 2 territory.

I still hope a lot of it is just the usual Bethesda/Zennimax being terrible at marketing. Had been true for doom 4, prey and Dishonored.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
To encourage streaming, they have a minigame for twitch where you revive the player. Uh, no thanks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really clear what's bad about that?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really clear what's bad about that?

Guessing it's the "it's Twitch so it's bad"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Just a little bit dumb and unnecessary for a single player game. Hopefully nothing good is tied to streamer drops only.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Time to start poo poo posting the gaming press

https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/1126926930966654977

Some ones maddddddddd

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1126943209903611904

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Most dungeons in Skyrim twisted back on themselves and gave the player a handy shortcut right back to the entrance (mostly via inaccessible doors or one way switches), didn't they?

Not sure how Just Cause handled things as I haven't played any of the recent games but hopefully they'll keep design philosophy similar to Mad Max and either give you a shortcut out the location or build things in such a way that you enter on on side and exit out another so you don't need to run back through an area you already cleared.

They don't do dungeons in Just Cause, the whole thing is basically that Rico can fly and his grapple hook lets him zip along to anything within like 50 meters super fast. So the game design doesn't even touch on a concept like a linear dungeon.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Crabtree posted:

Just a little bit dumb and unnecessary

to be clear: no, you

this looks like a fun game, gameplay looks nothing like Borderlands to be honest, which is a good thing since Borderlands is a poo poo game for retarded children

gently caress you Jason Shrill

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bethesda: "We need to distance ourselves from Fallout 76 as much as possible."

Also Bethesda: "lol gently caress off Forbes"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, that Forbes dude isn't wrong, Bethesda's marketing continues to be some of the worst in the business but lol at Schreir's reply.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Wheeee posted:

to be clear: no, you

this looks like a fun game, gameplay looks nothing like Borderlands to be honest, which is a good thing since Borderlands is a poo poo game for retarded children

I'm not watching your stream to revive you. I also don't know how much you can stream this game to possibly collect anything - especially when I'd rather be killing the mutants and whatever than watching someone do it badly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

I mean, that Forbes dude isn't wrong, Bethesda's marketing continues to be some of the worst in the business but lol at Schreir's reply.

He's got a point, though. Bethesda's declared game journalists (or "game journalists" as Bethesda calls them) persona non gratin and, for the past few years, has quietly been amassing a growing body of them in a section of unincorporated Montgomery County. Nobody really cares about any this because everybody assumes it's somebody else's responsibility. There are places in rural Maryland where you can see 12-foot high fences tipped with barbed wire. What is Bethesda doing with all of that acreage? There's a photo of IGN staff members "re-drafting" a review of Fallout 76; Bethesda says they're free to leave whenever they want but only after the review reflects "correct thought".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

He's got a point, though. Bethesda's declared game journalists (or "game journalists" as Bethesda calls them) persona non gratin and, for the past few years, has quietly been amassing a growing body of them in a section of unincorporated Montgomery County. Nobody really cares about any this because everybody assumes it's somebody else's responsibility. There are places in rural Maryland where you can see 12-foot high fences tipped with barbed wire. What is Bethesda doing with all of that acreage? There's a photo of IGN staff members "re-drafting" a review of Fallout 76; Bethesda says they're free to leave whenever they want but only after the review reflects "correct thought".

Métascores Sans Frontières.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

on one hand, Bethesda is a lovely evil corporation nobody should ever defend simply on principle of being a corporation, on the other hand "games journalists" are basically independent critics at best and unofficial members of the game industry's marketing wing, so gently caress all of em who cares

this game looks cool and fun but also like it might ultimately be bad, tho DOOM gives me some hope. won't be paying $80 for it either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have respect for Schreier for a lot of deep cover stories he does but he's just coming off as a loving whiner here. maybe Bethesda has you blacklisted because you went against TOS about leaking their poo poo over and over, talk poo poo get hit

either way it's a miracle we're getting reviews for a BETHESDA game before launch and that bodes well for DOOM Eternal later on