Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

All the time, which is why I have a million half-finished projects and armies

They're not half-finished armies, they're just Kill Teams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Wait I thought you were actually joking.

Nope, check out guy on the left, it works well for me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

richyp posted:

Yeah I usually change army/chapter/game halfway through painting a unit of something. Every so many reboots i'll scrape everything into a shame box and start again and pretend I have no outstanding poo poo to do.

I thought that was how everyone did it?

Oh, I'm not alone? I started my Dark Imperium Primaris as Iron Hawks, then Genesis Chapter, now I'm considering Flesh Tearers or Mortifactors. The largest batch is seven Iron Hawk intercessors. I've got a shitload of Simple Green for when I settle on a chapter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gunder posted:

Do you guys ever find yourselves looking forward to painting a new colour or type of model? For me, it's recently been the Librarian power armour that uses that amazing Kantor Blue. It's such a nice, rich colour. Looks really nice when you edge highlight it too.

That's why I started these Van Saar. I was sick of painting purple armor.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Your stuff is great, I'm just surprised that the priming method works.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

That reminds me, how do you get such stark black-lining? Painting in the recesses directly it seems like it would still take a ton of coats to fix any mistakes, and your stuff is super clean and awesome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I change between armies and half finish poo poo constantly but I always want to make space wolves which means I've always go that big army that continues to grow while other things get shelved, boxed or displayed but never really finished as an army.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

That reminds me, how do you get such stark black-lining? Painting in the recesses directly it seems like it would still take a ton of coats to fix any mistakes, and your stuff is super clean and awesome.

Citadel inks, washes, and a ton of coats to fix any mistakes.

Each infantry model is about 6 hours minimum

VVVIt's 2/1 flow improver or so.VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 9, 2019

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
How do you spray gesso without gumming up the airbrush?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finally got around to applying washes to the Primaris Dreadnought. It, uh, looks more dynamic, at the cost of looking a bit overly dirty in some spots (which I plan to cover up with Mephiston Red, or maybe Evil Sunz Scarlet, depending on the area)

Going to apply some more Strong Tone to a couple of red areas I missed, along with an extra coat of black shade on the arm joints. Then I'm going to apply the Reikland Fleshshade on the gold, and the Seraphim Sepia on the banner.

If you think I did anything wrong with the shade application, please let me know.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Well, lemme just put things in perspective for ya. Not even a year ago, your first completed mini was this guy

and just about a year later you've cranked out this behemoth

You've make a lot of progress so far, and you should be proud of that. You're able to recognize where you need to go back and fix things, you've got the brush control to not be splashing colors where they shouldn't be, you got a lot of the basic stuff down. Be proud of that.

Now, since you specifically asked for shade criticism. I know the "usual" way of shading rivets is to just dab a little shade over the whole thing, since they're so small. However, in the fourth picture, there's a few rivets on the right side that had a little too much shade get put on them. Also, it wouldn't hurt to figure out which direction you want to have your light source come from, and shade the rivets based on that.

For example, if you want the light to be coming from straight above, I'd say to come from underneath the model and dab the rivets that way (so most of the shade is underneath the rivets), and have very little shading on the top-most rivets. If you wanna change it up, and have the light coming from somewhere above and to the right, you'd end up with shadows leaning towards the left, and should apply shade appropriately. You can grab a lamp and an orange (or other spherical-ish object) and fart around with changing the angle of the light to see how the shadow changes with it.

Also, there's the front panels underneath the gold and banner that have probably a touch too much shade, but that's easily fixed by going back over with the red.I wouldn't say get rid of it entirely, just tighten it up, probably by half. That's the major stuff that stands out to me, outside of some of the paint rubbing off around the corners and edges of stuff (unless that's some edge highlighting/weathering, in which case keep that the gently caress up as it's super tight lines).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Serenade posted:

How do you spray gesso without gumming up the airbrush?

I thought airbrush gesso was a joke.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I still refuse to believe it.

Stynylrez is right there for the taking. :psyduck:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
God Stynylrez is so good.

I used the black for the first time in forever recently and it just goes on like velvet. Hnnuurggh.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I just tried stynylrez for the first time a couple weeks ago and... I dont like it. It's a super nice primer and it goes on incredibly smooth and thin, but I like the no hassle coverage of surface primer way more.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I still use my surface primer stash from time to time, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as hassle free. The most bothersome thing about Stynylrez is remembering how to spell it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Someone mentioned a while ago a badger tool to get the two circular parts of the "cap" part of my sotar 2020 apart but for the life of me I can't find it, any idea what this thing is called or where i can get it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

I still refuse to believe it.

Stynylrez is right there for the taking. :psyduck:

Okay, and I'm going to let you finish, but my gesso container is something I bought in 2008 and still probably two-thirds full.

Since I've owned this pot:
I've graduated college
Visited enough countries that I'm not actually sure how many, lived in 3
Been married
Experienced ~4 near death experiences
Had ~6 jobs
Gotten blackout drunk due to positive and negative reactions to a general election
Still have never used a sharpie on a model

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I used to use gesso when brush priming, it worked ok. The airbrush part is blowing my mind though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stynlrez is sooo much better than any other priming method I've tried. You can go from bare plastic to ready to paint in like 10 or 15 minutes and it's nearly impossible to screw up unless you're actively trying to. Rattle can or brush on always felt like a crap shoot whether I would get a good prime or not, but now I get a good prime literally 100% of the time. Vallejo primer through an airbrush was also a big step up but in my experience it wasn't quite as durable or quick drying as stynlrez.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't imagine anything being easier than running Vallejo grey primer through an airbrush outside of a literal wizard's wand or staff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm doing this for ~30 marines but I don't have corks. Checked my local online markets with no luck.

Are there any other materials I should try before buying a case of wine?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Places like Hobby Lobby sell containers full of wine corks for suburban mom decorating.

Hardware stores can also have bottle corks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

goodness posted:

I'm doing this for ~30 marines but I don't have corks. Checked my local online markets with no luck.

You just need corks?

Premium Recycled Corks, Natural Wine Corks From Around the US - 50 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XZ54BO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Wm1Cb1MN7X9R

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goodness posted:

You should totally just buy the wine.

Seriously, though, when I was in your boat I just told all my wine-drinking friends or in-laws, "hey, I'm working on a craft project - could you please save your wine corks for me?" Inside two weeks I had corks coming out my ears.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

goodness posted:

Brewing supply stores.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bad Munki posted:

You just need corks?

Premium Recycled Corks, Natural Wine Corks From Around the US - 50 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XZ54BO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Wm1Cb1MN7X9R

I get champagne corks from Amazon, the flared bases make them stand up better than narrow wine corks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JBP posted:

I can't imagine anything being easier than running Vallejo grey primer through an airbrush outside of a literal wizard's wand or staff.

Stynylrez black and grey are a wizards wand and staff.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dayum, that's nice.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I miss painting armour. Big bits of metal. What cool models have you guys picked up/put on your wishlists recently that feature big suits of armour?

I have a couple of boxes of historical minis from a company I cant remember the name of, that I bought to practice on. Super excited to put those together and start painting them one exams are over :D

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marzipan Pig posted:

I miss painting armour. Big bits of metal. What cool models have you guys picked up/put on your wishlists recently that feature big suits of armour?

I have a couple of boxes of historical minis from a company I cant remember the name of, that I bought to practice on. Super excited to put those together and start painting them one exams are over :D

Space Marines.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Marzipan Pig posted:

Stormcasts.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Marzipan Pig posted:

Ironjawz. Mix it with a box of Nobz or whatever for 40k.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So that new GW paint is called contrast. They market it as a basecoat, shade and highlight all in a single coat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, it's using a new undercoat as well, one that does it's own pseudo pre-shading and provides a low tension finish for the paint to go over.

I sincerely doubt it'll match what you can do with normal effort techniques, but it looks like it might just be phenomenal for "I want this to squad look okay and be done in an evening."

Obviously for things like Tyranids, Skaven, and Lizardmen this might actually be revolutionary.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

After the latest GW video on YouTube, I’m now convinced they’re making an army painter style dip.

All those GW redshirts are going to need physio after the backflips they’ll be doing after criticising it for so many years.

Lmao

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, it's using a new undercoat as well, one that does it's own pseudo pre-shading and provides a low tension finish for the paint to go over.

I sincerely doubt it'll match what you can do with normal effort techniques, but it looks like it might just be phenomenal for "I want this to squad look okay and be done in an evening."

Obviously for things like Tyranids, Skaven, and Lizardmen this might actually be revolutionary.

I think it's a great idea, especially when combined with other techniques.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Has anyone seen the quality of the Tomb of Annihilation Board Game minis as compared to the 4E board games’ minis (as in Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Asharwhatever, Castle Ravenloft, and Temple of Elemental Evil)?

I got those 4 for super cheap, but I noticed that Elemental Evil, while still of similar quality to the other three, reused the “Icons of the Realm” figures I already had and were just slightly different overall (no real complaints, I got lots of bandits and cultists and can do fun different paints on the heroes).

Amazon reviews (which are bleh) seem to imply that the scale is off in the ToA minis compared to the other games, but if that just means oversized guys like dragons aren’t huge and the majority of them are regular-sized, that’s absolutely fine by me. I’ll just have some little dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Has anyone seen the quality of the Tomb of Annihilation Board Game minis as compared to the 4E board games’ minis (as in Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Asharwhatever, Castle Ravenloft, and Temple of Elemental Evil)?

I got those 4 for super cheap, but I noticed that Elemental Evil, while still of similar quality to the other three, reused the “Icons of the Realm” figures I already had and were just slightly different overall (no real complaints, I got lots of bandits and cultists and can do fun different paints on the heroes).

Amazon reviews (which are bleh) seem to imply that the scale is off in the ToA minis compared to the other games, but if that just means oversized guys like dragons aren’t huge and the majority of them are regular-sized, that’s absolutely fine by me. I’ll just have some little dragons.

I own all these and the scale is the same. Only model out of any of these sets that is smaller than it should be (for practical reasons I'd imagine) is the flying black dragon in one of the game's.