Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The limit breaks being considered physical damage rather than magical hosed me over on a few of the barriers also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol if you don't play jrpgs on easy with auto battle on at all times

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the thing that always gets me in ff12 is that a few of the last weapons & armor are rare drops from monsters that are only in like one hallway in the game and only under specific conditions. i always tell myself "you don't have to get them, they're not even that good" and somehow that turns into "actually, you don't have to play this game at all."

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

the thing that always gets me in ff12 is that a few of the last weapons & armor are rare drops from monsters that are only in like one hallway in the game and only under specific conditions. i always tell myself "you don't have to get them, they're not even that good" and somehow that turns into "actually, you don't have to play this game at all."

theres a lot of retarded mmo bullshit in it including massive zones with nothing in them. its at the bottom of my tier list .. but its final fantasy, so its good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ff12 sounds like proto-xenoblade which has me interested in trying it

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

12 tries a lot of interesting things, and not everything hits, but the world feels fully realized and the story feels bigger than you. It’s one of the few FF games I’ve beaten and never revisited. Maybe I’ll give it another go someday, but I think I’d rather just play 9 or 10 again.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

ff12 sounds like proto-xenoblade which has me interested in trying it

Playing Xenoblade is the main reason I felt like giving FF12 another shot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

12 is one of my favorites, but every criticism of it is true. I just really, really like the world they present, and I enjoy the writing a lot. It's fun to spend time in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wanted to like the world in 12 but all the "Faram! You wear the mummer's farce well!" stuff had me lollin way more than the stuff people hate about 10. I don't know that i can defend 7, 8 or 10 against the criticisms against them but they all resonated more with me than 12. balthier was the only character I liked and it was mostly because he seemed to have an oepn disdain for the setting he was in.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I wanted to like the world in 12 but all the "Faram! You wear the mummer's farce well!" stuff had me lollin way more than the stuff people hate about 10. I don't know that i can defend 7, 8 or 10 against the criticisms against them but they all resonated more with me than 12. balthier was the only character I liked and it was mostly because he seemed to have an oepn disdain for the setting he was in.

You should be used to that since you’re friends with circus people

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

12 tries a lot of interesting things, and not everything hits, but the world feels fully realized and the story feels bigger than you.

This is a good summary. It was a pretty ambitious game for the winding down of the ps2 life cycle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Final Fantasy 12 came out three years after its own spinoff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You should be used to that since you’re friends with circus people

i'm 90 percent certain the circus people have done a final fantasy themed burlesque at some point, lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the best part off FF12 is Ivalice and the worst part is the actual game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

New teaser trailer for the FF7 Remake... Looks like it might use FFXV style battle system except you can swap characters. Well, I'm sure we'll find out in about 10 years when it finally comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOn2bWuA_0w

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

New teaser trailer for the FF7 Remake... Looks like it might use FFXV style battle system except you can swap characters. Well, I'm sure we'll find out in about 10 years when it finally comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOn2bWuA_0w

It looks really good, going to enjoy playing it on my deathbed when it releases

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I dunno, it looks fine but it’s a game of its time and I would rather have something completely new if we are gonna have to wait forever anyways.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im enjoying the cool videos i dont care if they make a game or not

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it looks awesome. and i bet we still havent seen a single second of gameplay. i hope it plays like the bouncer.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’ll buy it if it’s not episodic

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

it looks awesome. and i bet we still havent seen a single second of gameplay. i hope it plays like the bouncer.

It’s possible, but during some bits in the video you can see damage numbers popping up so presumably like someone said above, kinda fifteen-ish.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

im enjoying the cool videos i dont care if they make a game or not

This.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
It's Time We Stopped Openly Spoiling Final Fantasy VII (UNMARKED SPOILERS)
Thread starterSOLDIER Start dateYesterday at 9:29 PM
Forums
Discussion
Gaming Forum

Next

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Honestly? it's time to start killing gamers

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

a Loving Dog posted:

It's Time We Stopped Openly Spoiling Final Fantasy VII (UNMARKED SPOILERS)
Thread starterSOLDIER Start dateYesterday at 9:29 PM
Forums
Discussion
Gaming Forum

Next

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

a Loving Dog posted:

Honestly? it's time to start killing gamers

not in this holy thread

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blue on blue, stand down stand down those are friendlies

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

just started ff12 on Switch and why do they keep putting those vastly overleveled monsters in there at random? are you supposed to scan each new enemy type before you engage, since all new enemies are listed as '???' level? not sure how i should be approaching this.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It's not random, iirc, but dependent on the weather conditions. Stronger enemies show up during sandstorms, rain, etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

just started ff12 on Switch and why do they keep putting those vastly overleveled monsters in there at random? are you supposed to scan each new enemy type before you engage, since all new enemies are listed as '???' level? not sure how i should be approaching this.
You don't scan them, there's a passive ability you will get quickly. Dangerous enemies will have red names. Also maybe don't attack the giant dinosaurs when you're a level 1 guy struggling to fight wolves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't scan them, there's a passive ability you will get quickly. Dangerous enemies will have red names. Also maybe don't attack the giant dinosaurs when you're a level 1 guy struggling to fight wolves.

Also, most of them won't attack you unless you attack them first. I think elementals, which are in most areas, will attack as soon as you cast magic, and you may have to flee the screen in the early game if that happens. They only show up rarely when there's weather, and they're huge glowing balls, so they're easy to identify. They're there so that you can lol at how you thought they were difficult when you come back, and also because their drops are good iirc.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's good because the obvious giant dinosaur aside, I am not seeing visual design that indicates which ones one-shot you and which ones don't. Some werewolves looked like regular grunts with swords and one-shot me, which was a surprise because some bigger fuckers who had cast Protect on themselves in the area before turned out to be no problem. So I was wondering what I'm missing to spot this beforehand.

With an autosave at every location it's not a big deal, but it's just not something I'm used to from Final Fantasy. Normally every location is scaled to your intended level, especially at the beginning, and in FFXV you have clear indicators when something like demons at night are way too powerful for you. But I am really enjoying the game and suffering the best kind of anxiety at picking the first class for every character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

That's good because the obvious giant dinosaur aside, I am not seeing visual design that indicates which ones one-shot you and which ones don't. Some werewolves looked like regular grunts with swords and one-shot me, which was a surprise because some bigger fuckers who had cast Protect on themselves in the area before turned out to be no problem. So I was wondering what I'm missing to spot this beforehand.
NPCs in the nomad camp warn you about the werewolves.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
The name color thing works without Libra just hit left or right if you aren't sure if the werewolf is going to beat you up

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Red = bad, as is common video game nomenclature

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u should always libra equipped on a charaacter anyway in ff12, imo.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

u should always libra equipped on a charaacter anyway in ff12, imo.

truth.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They fixed the music bug in FF7 for Switch so I might pick it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They fixed the music bug in FF7 for Switch so I might pick it up...

Same for 9?