Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6KUfnlQW8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god!!!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Failed Champion feels impressive and like a wall because his attacks cone out very fast and do double damage. But... He only has 2 of them. And each can be dodged pretty reliably. So long as you don't panic and don't treat the fight like a DPS race you are good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He's actually one of the more DPS raceable bosses unless one of the charm updates made that impossible. I wasnt interested so I cheesed him (he was the only boss I cheesed).

(Obviously does not apply to godseeker)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

He's actually one of the more DPS raceable bosses unless one of the charm updates made that impossible. I wasnt interested so I cheesed him (he was the only boss I cheesed).

(Obviously does not apply to godseeker)

I turned it into a DPS race last night. Max level nail + quick attack + long attack worked really well. The fight was less of a wall after about ten attempts, but getting to that point was an exercise in patience and not verbally abusing the television.

My perspective on the boss fights is a reflection on me and not the game. The games great. My tastes have changed - as I get older I'd much rather explore a game world than master hard fights. I get the appeal of gameplay like that, it's just not my jam any more.

Hopefully the next game has great exploration. That or I hope Nintendo gets Super Metroid on the Switch.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Wildtortilla posted:

Next up in lovely bosses: failed champion.

Unpredictable behavior, constant environmental hazards, over sized enemy.

I think if the remaining content is frustrating bosses I'm going to cut it early before I end up hating this game. 😟

I used to struggle with him really badly but now I can slap his rear end around fairly easily. The trick is that he's not as inconsistent as he seems - if he jumps forward he'll try to club you, if he jumps backwards he'll likely follow it up with a ground wave or two. Dash under him whenever he jumps towards you, and away from him whenever he jumps away from you. Also remember you can whip the falling rocks at him for extra damage, which is handy when he throws his big tantrum in the middle between phases.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey goons.

I just got this off GOG and I'm having a problem. I made a desktop icon for the game and when I got an achievement the little GOG Galaxy icon would pop as normal, but the actual launcher doesn't show the three achievements I've gotten. The in-game page does display them.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Edit: Nevermind. They just popped after playing some more and closing the game.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 23, 2019

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Dear god. Absolute Radiance is handing me my rear end on a roasted platter. How the gently caress are you supposed to dodge that much poo poo?! :stonk:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

congratulations, little ghost, ur a touhou now

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I Said No posted:

Dear god. Absolute Radiance is handing me my rear end on a roasted platter. How the gently caress are you supposed to dodge that much poo poo?! :stonk:

Don't get hit, also, try not to have your hands shaking during the final phase

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Easy Radiance advice is using Abyss Shriek in the second phase (the part where the platform alternates spikes on each half) whenever you can’t get in regular hits to clear it asap, because that’s the point where you’re most likely to get screwed by multiple attacks overlapping.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This reminded me of the art style of this game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I... I want this. I must have it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Well I managed to fully bronze the hall of gods now at least. I don't know how much of this practice is going to do me any good during the actual pantheon since I still can't defeat it reliably. I have the most trouble with the laser beams, they come out way too fast for me to react to.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

I Said No posted:

This takes a good amount of practice, but the good news is that you've unlocked her in the hall of gods. Her attacks all have tells, and she generally only throws out one at a time (the exception being the column of light that travels across the screen).

Put as much damage on her as fast as you can. I would recommend unbreakable strength, steady body, and quick slash to get get your DPS as high as possible when you jump and attack her. You can end the first phase very quickly if you are diligent about striking her as much as you can.

Second phase requires some patience but you should still be attacks as much as you can when you're in position for it. You do have some time between the phases to heal.

I would recommend beating the Ascended version in the hall of gods. You'll be much less likely to choke when you reach her at the end of the pantheon.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Bleck posted:

I... I want this. I must have it.

That's dope. They did a really good job making simple yet iconic character designs in this game

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I got this game on sale a while ago for ps4. Didn't pick it up until two days ago and I am in love. :3:

Going in blind and I love all the aesthetics and story telling. The animation and sound is so good. It really reminds me of playing Super Metroid or Castlevania. I tread cautiously but I keep missing benches. But it's okay because I keep making money exploring.

I just got to the mantis Lord's and lawdy. Ima keep exploring.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Deckit posted:

I got this game on sale a while ago for ps4. Didn't pick it up until two days ago and I am in love. :3:

Going in blind and I love all the aesthetics and story telling. The animation and sound is so good. It really reminds me of playing Super Metroid or Castlevania. I tread cautiously but I keep missing benches. But it's okay because I keep making money exploring.

I just got to the mantis Lord's and lawdy. Ima keep exploring.

You can store money in the bank when you find it, helps for if you die and fail to retrieve your corpse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IkfBZKfYQ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cartoon Man posted:

You can store money in the bank when you find it, helps for if you die and fail to retrieve your corpse.

............ uhhhh

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The banker lady will keep your money safe. She's a good egg

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Bust Rodd posted:

............ uhhhh

Believe it or not there's a banker NPC in the game. It's a pretty cool mechanic to help you protect your money when you're venturing into new areas

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Found this lady. She's a cool lady but I keep finding myself not wanting to trek back. Might get better when I unlock more short cuts though?!

I love this game. Holy poo poo it always feels like it rewards my exploration. I've found so many surprise secrets. Found a Nosk boss and that was a god drat thrill. I saw light in a corner and thought there could be something and jumped to hit it and BAM. Secret area with money. Like everywhere is tucked money and items.

I initially got really annoyed because I would back track to places on the map that I thought were places to go, only to realize it was somewhere I couldn't get to because I lacked an ability. So I accidently backtracked to the same place twice trying to find a new area to explore. Then realized I could use the pins on the map screen to mark! So I just started marking all the places I visited and couldn't progress to with red and grey pins. And I eventually got to a new area because of it.

I just really enjoy the poo poo out of this. <3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Believe it or not there's a banker NPC in the game. It's a pretty cool mechanic to help you protect your money when you're venturing into new areas

I don’t want to spoil anything but let’s just say my experience with the Banker beetle wasn’t so cut & dry...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don’t want to spoil anything, but here is a spoiler

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Stop telling people about the banker, good or bad. It's funny as hell to me when it happens but I would be pissed if someone specifically told me to trust her and then that happened. Let them figure it out for themselves.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's definitely an investment.

Also Silksong when.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, Silksong when. I want it now!

:lol: was any need for the cat. It wasn't even pink.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As SmoothMcGroove can attest, the only thing YouTubers love more than Video Game covers is Video Game covers with cats.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Is the dream nail used for damage or just plot related? Seems unwieldy to use unless I'm missing a charm other than the dream wielder.

Also, that banker. YOU BITCH WHERE DID YOU GO

I keep thinking the end is somewhere close but new maps keep opening up, new powers to acquire and now I did something really bad and there is yellow gunk everywhere. :stonk:

Got one of the sleepers. I really appreciate how powerful the charms are in combinations. Fighting the giant reanimating beetles in the city was rough until I switched charms around to more defensive and healing ones. I'm glad offensive isn't the outright best.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the big strengths for Hollow Knight is that it’s a truly massive game. You are very small, and the world is very, very big.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Dream Nail is used for accessing some additional areas, plot, and bosses. I don't believe you can use it do damage regular enemies but you can use it on them to get some incidental dialogue from them. I believe it was originally going to be much more combat-focused and integrated into the gameplay but that did not materialize. Also powering up the D. Nail gets you some upgrades from the moth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dream Nail is just for plot. You can use it on a ton of people and things but don't bother with regular enemies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The dream nail doesn’t do damage, but it does give you 1/3 of a Soul vessel if you hit an enemy with it. In some circumstances that can be extremely handy.

It also instakills your shade.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah you can dream nail slow enemies or stunned bosses to get soul. especially if you get the dreamwielder charm

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The dream nail only exists on a spiritual level, so if something is flesh and blood (well, chitin and hemolymph) it will not be harmed by the sword, or even offended.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tenebrais posted:

The dream nail only exists on a spiritual level, so if something is flesh and blood (well, chitin and hemolymph) it will not be harmed by the sword, or even offended.
Functionally, this info is useful during the boss rush where you can spirit nail vanilla Grimm a few times and he'll still bow and not be bothered but if you attack him he hisses like a cat and starts attacking.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm dream nailing everyone and getting the feels for some of these characters.

This game is really good at evoking sadness from me.

Edit: Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

No Wave posted:

Functionally, this info is useful during the boss rush where you can spirit nail vanilla Grimm a few times and he'll still bow and not be bothered but if you attack him he hisses like a cat and starts attacking.

You can Dream Nail him in the actual version of that fight, right after beating him but before the post-fight dialogue kicks in, and get a little chunk of extra lore for your trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can dreamnail jellyfish for easy soul recovery, which is especially useful for one nightmare zone.
Without the charm it's pretty slow and only restores 1/3 of your soul container so it's not very useful for general use, but with the charm it's much faster and also restores more soul. It also has a bit of knockback on it so it's reasonably safe to use on smaller charging enemies.

There's a lot of bosses where you can sneak in dream nail hits during the Pantheons, but that's not particularly relevant for you right now.