Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Weatherman posted:

i`m the friend about whomst this post has a disturbing amount of detail regarding motivations, thought processes, inner monologues, etc.

sorry for your .:|:;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

kw0134 posted:

in practice though this is so loving well documented that if i say that rossy boy ordered a man murdered along with his family i would win a defamation suit
except its not defamation because he signed the confession by his own hand
lol

you mean mycrimes.txt specifically, or something else too?

do Ross truthers claim mycrimes.txt doesn't exist or something

(of course they do)

EorayMel posted:

Bitcoin is a self-organizing collective stupidity.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

mark karpeles hacked ross through a torrent of the dailyshow and placed various incriminating chat logs, spread sheets, images, and diary entries on his computer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

duh

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

...! posted:

My friend lost $400,000 paying over 17,000 times the market price of a token by pressing "Market Buy" on Binance (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted 9 hours ago * by Diekthxbye

Hi, I am writing this on behalf of SWIM

My :airquote: friend :airquote: purchased $500,000 worth of Paxos stablecoins

lol :owned:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
the financial equivalent of the i'm feeling lucky button on google, nit on an unregulated exchange with irreversible transactions what could go wrong

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hmm. so which one did your partner use to describe your lovemaking style?

[rudeness to kiss&tell :nyd:ifies]

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Chocobo posted:

the financial equivalent of the i'm feeling lucky button on google, nit on an unregulated exchange with irreversible transactions what could go wrong

this is good for bitcoin, op! !

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

didn't some exchange offer a coin variety pack? you know to help "diversify" your "portfolio"

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

Grace Baiting posted:

"in-" is an intensifying morpheme, and "tense" means the kind of shelter you would erect in a swamp

hth

i half wish i knew more about english so i could figure out what this meant for "sane" and "insane" but im worried my indispensable knowledge about how much of an idiot i am would get written over

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's like how indigestion means you have too much digestion going on

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Jabor posted:

it's like how indigestion means you have too much digestion going on

or how incomplete means something got done so much that it wrapped around to not being done again

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my boss said that I am incapable of doing my job :stoked:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or how inchoate means rudimentary but there's no choate.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so what is the bitco to bitcoin?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

bit.co

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

cool biRd pics posted:

i half wish i knew more about english so i could figure out what this meant for "sane" and "insane" but im worried my indispensable knowledge about how much of an idiot i am would get written over

The root of the in- in insane is different than the root of the in- in intense. The first is from the PIE root *ne, meaning "not" (as in negate), the other is from *en meaning "towards, within, near, upon", (as in embargo). They start becoming pronounced and written similarly in a bunch of words in Latin and this transfers to French and then English.

Inchoate interestingly enough probably come from the *en route, as it relates to the Latin write for "begin" (incohare).Despite how the word looks, it's not a prefix negation of another word.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 10, 2019

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

gschmidl posted:

Or how inchoate means rudimentary but there's no choate.

:wrong!:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

weird how there's a whole word for people that go to one school but okay

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crow Your Coins! posted:

The root of the in- in insane is different than the root of the in- in intense. The first is from the PIE root *ne, meaning "not" (as in negate), the other is from *en meaning "towards, within, near, upon", (as in embargo). They start becoming pronounced and written similarly in a bunch of words Latin and this transfers to French and then English.

Inchoate interestingly enough probably come from the *en route, as it relates to the Latin write for "begin" (incohare).Despite how the word looks, it's not a prefix negation of another word.

how INteresting. thanks for this INtensive INquiry INto the english language's continually surprising brokenness

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

anyone that can learn english as a second language has my deepest respect

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

Learning it as such isn't that hard, but getting to (near-)native level certainly is. I like to think that my English is pretty good but e.g. any cryptic crossword will almost assuredly defeat me.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

divabot posted:

you mean mycrimes.txt specifically, or something else too?

do Ross truthers claim mycrimes.txt doesn't exist or something

(of course they do)

quote:

[–]gonzobon 13 points 3 years ago
Firstly, she likely has insurance.

Secondly those "murder for hire" charges are sitting and not going to trial. There's about as much evidence for Ross hiring killers as there is for the moon landing being faked.

quote:

Read the Transcript of Silk Road's Boss Ordering 5 Assassinations by rmvaandr in Bitcoin

[–]gonzobon 13 points 4 years ago*
"In the middle of their mafia-style killing plans, Dread Pirate Roberts also suggests that Redandwhite set up Torchat, an anonymous, encrypted instant messaging system. But the program doesn’t work initially, and the two alternate between tech troubleshooting and planning a quadruple murder."

Either an abhorent failure of opsec or a complete lie and fabrication.

Ross's voice here doesn't sound the same as other DPR posts.

quote:

[–]gonzobon 9 points 3 years ago
It's so hilarious. Ross was trying to create an open free market for the benefit of others, meanwhile this guy made a determining decision to commit an illegal and frowned upon crime. He decided to do something bad. Yet Ross (whom I still believe to be an all-around allright guy) didn't do anything to intentionally harm anyone or steal.

quote:

[–]gonzobon 9 points 2 months ago*
Against my better judgement I'm going to jump in here.

I'll start out by saying that Ross definitely deserves some jail time. Under the laws of the jurisdiction he resided in, he broke some laws. He had chances to plea out he and they threw the book at him.

Drug laws as they are written today are really silly, counter productive, and ultimately hurt communities more than they help. The drug laws and prohibition create the black market that allowed DPR to flourish. The same way Al Capone flourished during the prohibition.

Darknet market trading has not stopped with his incarceration. It has only expanded and diversified. Granted that users and sellers need to be much more careful now.

DPR ran a criminal organization of sorts. There is no denying that. Ross admitted to starting SR in court. There is no denying that.

Using laws designed for a violent mafia boss on a young kid from the bay area is overkill to say the least. We're going to spend millions keeping him under lock and key for the rest of his life. It's an absolute waste of a life and taxpayer resources.

That having been said.

Ross ordered hits on 4/5 people total. The evidence that he did this is clear.

DPR (because I'm not convinced there was only one site leader) allegedly ordered hits on 4/5 people, after the agents involved (now in jail for being bad apples) setup a series of events that led to that hit being orchestrated.

They did indeed find a diary detailing those hits on Ross's computer.

But playing devil's advocate:

Was the diary the only copy or was it downloaded from elsewhere? Was it accessed and modified before his arrest? Were more than one person sharing the DPR account and subsequent chat logs connected to it?

We don't know. We probably never will know. Various parties connected to SR and unconnected to SR dispute that there was only one DPR. Given that someone logged into his account while he was in jail. This could arguably be LEO's poking around and isn't proof that the real DPR is on a beach somewhere.

I can't find the link at the moment but there was also a SR employee who had a codeword to verify with DPR that he was speaking with the real DPR (some basic opsec) and DPR failed at one point to verify that codeword (this was before Ross's arrest).

This is all still circumstantial and obviously not grounds to spring him out of jail.

From what we've gleaned from the court records, Ross's attorney and his mother there is a great deal of non-public information that was not allowed to be disseminated in court. Including the testimony about DPR possibly being Mark Karpeles (lol?) being stricken from the record over the weekend. This says to me that the court wanted to quash any notion of there being another person under the DPR monniker, which is not really fair if you ask me.

There is much that is still not public relating to Silk Road I'm guessing and we will never get the whole story.

IIRC They have not accurately explained how they even found the SR server in the first place either. The accounts provided have been disputed.

One odd thing that really stands out to me however is the judge.

Katherine Forest.

Per Wikipedia "Forrest was nominated by Obama to the bench in May 2011 on the recommendation of U.S. Senator Charles Schumer of New York."who made Silk Road a public vendetta in 2011.

Somehow she gets assigned the Silk Road case. Coincidence maybe.

No one here likes talking about this because it ruins the narrative.

The Bitcoin community in general is very distrustful of governmental bodies. With good reason. There's a lot of libertarians here who saw Silk Road as a step towards progress in regards to making drug user safer in a climate that would not tolerate talk of legalizing or harm reduction. The judge dismissed the harm reduction aspects of Silk Road as well during sentencing.

When Ross was arrested all we heard about was the murder for hire. It dominated every headline. It was the only thing anyone knew about the case. Internet drugs and murder for hire. Yet as has already been discussed these charges eventually went nowhere. IMO it was a smear job to taint the narrative and to paint Ross as a REALLY BAD DUDE.

He might be a really bad dude. We don't know for certain, he certainly seems to have started the site with good intentions.

His sentencing was pretty painful from outside observers too. He was treated as if he gunned down 30 people and was on trial for mass murder.

They had no problem parading several unverified overdose victims and their families into the court room during sentencing. But from the libertarian standpoint choosing to do drugs come with risks, and SR did arguably provide the tools to be as safe as possible with them and subsidized them.

Forrest is inherently wrong when she said "Silk Road brought drugs to communities that didn't have access to them, in "staggering quantities." Drugs find their way to wherever there is demand, Silk Road ultimately just reduced the friction of demand and distribution by allowing buyers and seller to be more easily connected. No one was even at that point talking about pharma companies pumping opioids into every community in America.

Drug users will find drugs if they truly want them. They're on every street corner in America, they're in every prison. Years later it's easier than ever to find fentanyl, heroin, and other drugs on the streets or online.

Chapo has been sentenced but the feds are still seizing fentanyl and meth at the border. Someone else is running the cartel.

Not that it'll save me from downvotes, but El Chapo is significantly worse than Ross, and any system that gives Chapo less time than Ross is busted.

Agree. Chapo actually killed people. Probably lots of other horrible stuff we will never hear of. DPR typed words on a screen, allegedly.

But, to ignore that Ross didn't try and have people executed is doing no favors to anyone who wants to have an honest discussion about justice.

Again, DPR did assuming no foul play or tampering. Not even Curtis Green the guy who DPR ordered a hit on actually thinks Ross did it last I checked.

Do we have definitive proof that it was Ross sitting behind the keyboard typing those words? Not really.

If I logged into your reddit account and made online threats would that justify imprisoning you? Not really.

In any event, I would have preferred to see Ross in jail for a few years and go on to use his talents elsewhere. He does not deserve to lose his life as so many others have to the tragedy that is the war on drugs.

DPR put Bitcoin on the map and gave Bitcoin it's first marketplace usecase. He will forever have a place in Bitcoin history, for better or for worse.

I hope this came across as intended not as a FREE ROSS NOW HES INNOCENT but as a "this entire thing was kind of shady/political that lacked a nuanced and fair sentence".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boxturret posted:

English is very broken and doesn't make a lot of sense but it's relatively easy to learn if you're exposed to it constantly from an early age, which happens in a lot of places because of the anglo domination of media. In places where most media is dubbed the penetration of English is much lower.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Boxturret posted:

they do though

Nah

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I before E except after C.

Their language, their rules :viggo:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

then we're in a gree ment

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
weird how incel and cel mean the same thing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wheany posted:

What about FreeCell?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Wheany posted:

yeah free ross is foreverially incel, viz. a cel is his permanent habitation unit

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

bitcoin: English bit "small piece" from from Proto-Germanic *biton (source also of Old Saxon biti, Old Norse bit, Old Frisian bite, Middle Dutch bete, Old High German bizzo "biting," German Bissen "a bite, morsel"), from PIE root *bheid- "to split." + coin "stamped metal used as money" from Old French coing (12c.) "a wedge; stamp; piece of money;" usually "corner, angle," from Latin cuneus "a wedge," which is of unknown origin.The die for stamping metal was wedge-shaped, and by late 14c. the English word came to mean "thing stamped, piece of metal converted into money by being impressed with official marks or characters" (a sense that already had developed in Old French). Meaning "coined money collectively, specie" is from late 14c.

Current meaning: useless garbage

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Crow Your Coins! posted:

bitcoin: bit=to bite with fingers, coin=areola/nipple, bitcoin=squeezing a pair of nipples

Current meaning: Not the most intuitive joke.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
if it wasn’t for mark (Who Did Nothing Wrong), i would never have learned that apples quiches exist

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
mount gocks

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

graph posted:

mount cucks

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Wheany posted:

Q: on tinder, how is being a hot chick the same as being an ugly guy?
A: one is inundated, the other is undated, which means the same thing bc that's how "in" works in the english language

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Mark_Bear redditor for 4 weeks 0 points · 3 days ago

Who is Charlie Munger? He sound's like an idiot, attacking something he does not understand. Or, he does understand it, and he's a liar.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1126660387930296320
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rhythmtrader/status/1126813067596259328

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My guess is literally all bitcoins in existence are currently owned by the state of Iceland. My guess may not be entirely correct, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

gschmidl posted:

Learning it as such isn't that hard, but getting to (near-)native level certainly is. I like to think that my English is pretty good but e.g. any cryptic crossword will almost assuredly defeat me.

they defeat way more native English speakers than you'd probably think too