Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Oh my nooooo. I wanted to read the dreams of that cool miner bug at the beginning of the game. They were so friendly and wanted to share. But I had to kill them because they were hostile now. >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can actually get the dream nail extremely early (before fighting the false knight early) and get a more detailed view of their descent into madness.

I want to say they have two different stages as your progress through the game between the start and end of their arc. Definitely at least 1 intermediate stage.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deckit posted:

This game is really good at evoking sadness from me.

Honestly, this is probably what I like most about the game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Tenebrais posted:

or even offended

I still love it when you dream nail Bardoon and the resulting thoughts are basically just "Hey can you loving not, thanks"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Darox posted:

You can actually get the dream nail extremely early (before fighting the false knight early) and get a more detailed view of their descent into madness.

I want to say they have two different stages as your progress through the game between the start and end of their arc. Definitely at least 1 intermediate stage.

There's four steps, I think?

The first stage she introduces herself and is trying to remember her song.
The second stage, she remembers all her song, and is proud.
The third stage, she is struggling to remember again.
The fourth stage, she has forgotten everything.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Dream Nail is extremely useful in gameplay for those cases where your soul management is not up to par. Find a room with a slow enemy and you can just go back to max health no problem.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

I Said No posted:

I still love it when you dream nail Bardoon and the resulting thoughts are basically just "Hey can you loving not, thanks"

There's at least one other character who is very offended that you're trying to dig around in their head, and another couple who are not exactly annoyed but definitely notice.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

poo poo I didn’t even know you could use the dream nail as damage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can’t. It doesn’t do any damage, except to shades (and the little shade looking guys that come after you in Abyss) which it just kills instantly. That’s why it’s good for farming up soul, you can just whack any enemy with it until you’re all tanked up.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm two grubs away from getting them all. Looks like the last two are somewhere in the deepnest. :ohdear:

I enjoy the environmental touches. The slow change in scenery or encroaching mushrooms or acid to show you're near the fungal area. Or the drop in color around the ancient basin. The walls changing in the background to signify the different enemies I fight in deepnest. Everything just oozes attention.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jyTgpUhWs

neat~ (Still my favorite fight)

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I've slowed down in the game because I'm exploring all the books and crannies before I go to what I think is the end game. All dreamers ended and I think I'd go to the black egg next.

Doing the grim troupe stuff, got all the grubs. Looking for my final charm, doing essence harvest. It's got a lot of hidden areas but I take umbrage with the white defender. The entrance and how to get to them isn't obvious or even that anything could be there at all. Unless the defender hopping and burrowing around in his arena fight is supposed to be a hint. Small quibble in a great game otherwise.

These dream bosses are tough.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Deckit posted:

I've slowed down in the game because I'm exploring all the books and crannies before I go to what I think is the end game. All dreamers ended and I think I'd go to the black egg next.

Doing the grim troupe stuff, got all the grubs. Looking for my final charm, doing essence harvest. It's got a lot of hidden areas but I take umbrage with the white defender. The entrance and how to get to them isn't obvious or even that anything could be there at all. Unless the defender hopping and burrowing around in his arena fight is supposed to be a hint. Small quibble in a great game otherwise.

These dream bosses are tough.

You should go to the black egg first, if you want to see all of the endings. You will be able to pick up where you left off.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Zote in town saying "paklava" every two seconds is making me carve some of my grandma's cooking.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I was doing White Palace the other day and every time I said to myself, "this must be the last segment" I was met with an even more complex platforming challenge. Very grateful for the Hiveblood charm.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grubsong + Deep Focus is better when you have to Super Meat Bug imo. I don't have the patience for Hiveblood's regen.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Walking the halls at a con and run into these fine bugs. :3:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm not sure I like this white palace. Those are some good suggestions though.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ziddar posted:

Walking the halls at a con and run into these fine bugs. :3:

This is really cute.

Using deep focus + the two grubs items but White Palace is unenjoyable. I don't want to play super meat boy. Cripes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Super Meatboy is also a much better platformer than Hollow Knight

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Agreed.

I just finished it but drat was that unfun. It had too many GOTCHA moments that reset progress back three or four traps.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

The White Palace is good

to poop on

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

The White Palace is good

:agreed:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

to poop on

I didn't know Ogrim posted in this thread

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silksong when

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bogart posted:

Silksong when

Today. We all got it, everyone, but we're not allowed to let you have it. Sorry.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not cool guys :(

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

White palace would be better if the fade-out and respawn for spikes was faster, though it works fine everywhere else.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

White palace would be better if the fade-out and respawn for spikes was faster, though it works fine everywhere else.

Yah there are a few quality of life things that make hollow knight less than ideal as a challenging platformer, but the white palace was still one of my favorite parts of the game. It probably helped that I played Celeste right before hollow knight.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah there are a few quality of life things that make hollow knight less than ideal as a challenging platformer, but the white palace was still one of my favorite parts of the game. It probably helped that I played Celeste right before hollow knight.

Maybe it was that. I loved Celeste as well but I was expecting challenging platforms.

Trying out Nightmare King Grimm. What a relentless boi. Starting to get the attack patterns down but sometimes I just eat poo poo and take four hits in a row trying to recover from a gently caress up or be offensive. Just gotta practice. Love that music.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Finally played through this after immediately buying it for switch last year and just getting distracted by other things, I absolutely loved this game and have been dying to draw something from it for a while now.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1130174604440494081

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

It would be much better if it didn't exist.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Please correct “friend” to Knight of Great Renown thank you

e: shout out to the rp account that responded to the tweet

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 19, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

my buddy Superfly posted:

Finally played through this after immediately buying it for switch last year and just getting distracted by other things, I absolutely loved this game and have been dying to draw something from it for a while now.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1130174604440494081

Nice!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm so sick of this third Pantheon. Why did they load all the hard/tedious bosses into this one set :negative:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm so sick of this third Pantheon. Why did they load all the hard/tedious bosses into this one set :negative:

Aaaahahahahaha

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bogart posted:

e: shout out to the rp account that responded to the tweet

They've only existed for three days and have already said a swear, not very true to the character :ohdear:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Alxprit posted:

They've only existed for three days and have already said a swear, not very true to the character :ohdear:

Top Five Places The Knight Has Cussed In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Did anyone think the Dung Defender was an NPC when they first heard him? Because I did. I then died.