Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

in other news, i've been playing with tyflow a lot. it's great!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDg_7UlIMY/
This is a test for the personal project i posted about above.

Guys at my work are really liking it too, especially compared to pflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I know there are gaps in the wings and I know the fur is too metallic and a slew of other issues but yeah, surface development takes time. Too much drat time. This was a class demo, for the record.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmfao whats with the glitter pants

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Anisotropic settings are as close as I can get, unless some one knows of a way to make hair / fur in keyshot? This has been a constant struggle.

Judging by this post maybe I should switch to PFX (or Xgen?) for hair vs trying to just use fibremesh directly out of Zbrush.

Has anyone here ever tried making skin or hair in keyshot? Isn't necessarily easy. There is a decent skin shader but no hair shader. I haven't been able to find any solid information online for making hair / fur materials in keyshot.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I was having the same problem a while ago trying to render a fluffy towel in keyshot. It's really just not a renderer meant for that sort of thing. It's for industrial design visualization first and foremost, as you can tell from the massive library of car paints and Pantone swatches but the total lack of natural, organic, or living materials.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Finally finding some time to do some personal work, which is incredibly hard when your work day is 12 hours long and you have a young human to take care of in the evenings. Doing some photoscanning of organic things, which is one of my favorite things to do. Here's my latest, a tree that sits in my backyard. It mostly just creates more work for me in the spring and fall, but it does have some pretty interesting bark patterns. Here's a preview render:

You can find more images here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyX5e6

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Gearman posted:

Finally finding some time to do some personal work, which is incredibly hard when your work day is 12 hours long and you have a young human to take care of in the evenings. Doing some photoscanning of organic things, which is one of my favorite things to do. Here's my latest, a tree that sits in my backyard. It mostly just creates more work for me in the spring and fall, but it does have some pretty interesting bark patterns. Here's a preview render:

You can find more images here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyX5e6

I loooooove this, wow wow

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That looks seriously amazing, well done.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thanks! Just so it's well understood: photogrammetry is doing the majority of the work here. Most of the heavily lifting for me is knowing how to scan quickly, and accurately, then cleaning it up in Zbrush, doing a material pass, and presenting it well with decent lighting and rendering. This tree still looks nearly this good in Metashape (formerly Agisoft Photoscan)!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a nice photogramma tree

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Thats goddamn amazing, nice work! Can't believe how much of the best looking stuff is photogrammetry nowadays, but it makes way more sense to scan foliage/props/etc than have an artist painstakingly sculpt it when time is of the essence.

Sure, cleanup and all that, but the end result usually hits a level that would just be daunting to do by hand.

Wish I had the time to explore that more :(. Did some PG stuff for the Korn music video I did but it ended up being unusable due to budget purposes.

Non-photogrammetry related, but I need to sing the praise of anchor points in Painter. In terms of both speeding up workflow and allowing for a single tweak driving a dozen or so layers, it's made my job easier and the work I do look better. I'm pretty sure almost every smart mat I've created in the past six months has used them. Between that and Rizom, my workflow's changing in a good way.

Now I just need to try Painter 2019, but show version lock means I'm stuck on 2018.3 for at least a couple more months.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I was having the same problem a while ago trying to render a fluffy towel in keyshot. It's really just not a renderer meant for that sort of thing. It's for industrial design visualization first and foremost, as you can tell from the massive library of car paints and Pantone swatches but the total lack of natural, organic, or living materials.

Yeah - I feel like just a lot more research is in order. I have been seeing some great skin in keyshot but there isn't as much info on that as say Arnold and almost no info on making hair or fur well. There are some examples online but very few tutorials on skin or hair in keyshot. Best hair I have seen seems to be coming form Xgen vs. fibremesh but one can export from zbrush fibremesh to Xgen and then to keyshot from what I understand. This will produce better results than say fibremesh -> anisotropic keyshot material as I am discovering.

Remodeling the Wizard of Oz gate / wall thing. Not done yet.

This is how the gate will separate but I am realizing now the line through the face is hardly symmetrical and the there should be something done with the thickness of the wall. Electromagnetics? Struts? Mechanical fasteners of some sort?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 13, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm applying for an industrial design job, and currently my only portfolio is on Behance. I have CNC simulations on my portfolio that are a little tough to package along with my renderings and photos.

Do y'all have any suggestions?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

List it as a skill, throw a short segment on it in a video and a few screenshots?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ADOBE :argh: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xk3p/adobe-tells-users-they-can-get-sued-for-using-old-versions-of-photoshop

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I love how Adobe sucks so much that they turn a patent troll trolling them into another excuse to stomp on their customer base.
Can't spend any of that absurd profit on patching most of the older programs into not being targets for litigation, nuh uh.

Also US patent law of course sucks massively for letting a patent troll go after end users too, if not for that this wouldn't be an issue.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

SubNat posted:

I love how Adobe sucks so much that they turn a patent troll trolling them into another excuse to stomp on their customer base.
Can't spend any of that absurd profit on patching most of the older programs into not being targets for litigation, nuh uh.

Also US patent law of course sucks massively for letting a patent troll go after end users too, if not for that this wouldn't be an issue.

I feel bad for all the studios that are version-locked to older builds - it's gonna wreak havoc when workflows break, plugins stop working, etc, and they have to spend boatloads of money and time to rebuild everything at the last second.

Or just say gently caress it, but is that even possible? Is CC forcing updates if you use old versions?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Slothful Bong posted:

Or just say gently caress it, but is that even possible? Is CC forcing updates if you use old versions?

This is from 10 years ago, but this press release is essentially encouraging disgruntled employees to report their employer for unlicensed software. average payout was $3200 back in 2009.
What's more likely to happen instead of a straight fine with these cases is that adobe will offer a 30 day grace period for the company in question to get fully up to date.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/01/software-piracy.html

Adobe have been like this for a very long time, they've been one of the most aggressive at levvying fines due to unlicensed software long before anyone had even thought up the name 'creative cloud'. This is not a new thing they are doing.
We got slapped with a fine of half a million from Adobe back in 2007 that nearly put DBOX out of business. We owned as many licenses of photoshop as we had installed - but 'to save time' the same copy had been installed on every machine. This 'piracy' was reported by the IT person who installed it this way, shortly after we fired them for a multitude of other issues. Adobe came down hard and from what I heard our lawyers said there was nothing we could do to fight it.
Arguably they are less extreme now than they were back then.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 15, 2019

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Are there any viable alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator? Have I just gotten too complacent?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Greatest Living Man posted:

Are there any viable alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator? Have I just gotten too complacent?

Affinity Photo and Designer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Affinity Photo currently can't export to targa, just a head's up.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Affinity Photo currently can't export to targa, just a head's up.

Just curious, what do people use targa for these days?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

List it as a skill, throw a short segment on it in a video and a few screenshots?

Thanks! I ended up with screenshots from the process and noted where the full videos could be found. Fingers and toes crossed!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EoinCannon posted:

Just curious, what do people use targa for these days?

I use it on sequences when I dont want jpg compression but dont want a huge .exr either. Often only in between fusion and premiere.
whats better for that? png's are noticeably slower to open.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I use pngs due to better compression and optional losslessness.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

I use it on sequences when I dont want jpg compression but dont want a huge .exr either. Often only in between fusion and premiere.
whats better for that? png's are noticeably slower to open.

Oh OK cool

We've been using .exrs with DWAA compression which creates much smaller files, I think it uses .jpg style algorithm so I'm not sure how much control you have over artifacting etc.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lots of games use tga.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

TGA is most useful when you want your alpha packed in the same texture because it has a separate alpha channel. Other options are to use PNG (lower quality packed alpha), TIF (can be larger working file sizes), PSD (larger file size) or a separate alpha texture altogether. The textures are going to get converted to a runtime format anyway, so it's largely a matter of working disk space -- which is pretty cheap these days. Anyone using TGA for packed alpha can use TIFFs or PSDs to get the same results with the same workflow.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working on a star wars inspired smuggler's freighter thing

gonna call it the greasy bastard

Kanine fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 16, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gearman posted:

TGA is most useful when you want your alpha packed in the same texture because it has a separate alpha channel. Other options are to use PNG (lower quality packed alpha), TIF (can be larger working file sizes), PSD (larger file size) or a separate alpha texture altogether. The textures are going to get converted to a runtime format anyway, so it's largely a matter of working disk space -- which is pretty cheap these days. Anyone using TGA for packed alpha can use TIFFs or PSDs to get the same results with the same workflow.

I work on mobile platforms :(

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mutata posted:

I work on mobile platforms :(

Then you get nothing! Good day, sir!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's fair, I did steal Fizzy Lifting Drinks after all..

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I lied, since you're in Mobile you probably get decent-sized piles of money.

Realtalk: I don't really know of a good Photoshop alternative that handles TGAs as well as it does.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
On a file type tangent, I was talking to a presenter at a biology conference recently that was testing photogrammetry on biological tissue and they were using .jpg because it "was industry standard". I haven't seen any actual professionals suggest using .jpg for photogrammetry and my kneejerk reaction has always been to avoid .jpg when .tif or .exr are available. Does it not matter for photogrammetry?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Academics don't have the first clue about how computers work. "JPG is industry-standard" means "JPG was the first file format we tried with the software and everyone was too scared of breaking it to look into anything else."

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Sagebrush posted:

Academics don't have the first clue about how computers work. "JPG is industry-standard" means "JPG was the first file format we tried with the software and everyone was too scared of breaking it to look into anything else."

It was clear they didn't know anything about 3D graphics when I asked about the UV output for their scans and they thought I was talking about ultraviolet light. Still, I'm not an expert either, so I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing about photogrammetry.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Listerine posted:

On a file type tangent, I was talking to a presenter at a biology conference recently that was testing photogrammetry on biological tissue and they were using .jpg because it "was industry standard". I haven't seen any actual professionals suggest using .jpg for photogrammetry and my kneejerk reaction has always been to avoid .jpg when .tif or .exr are available. Does it not matter for photogrammetry?

I would assume that having compression artifacts is worse than not having them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If they say something like that, it's time to get extra salt.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Straight up newbie here and I got an issue with Octane's live db. Could someone zip up one of the skin materials from the database and put it on a dropbox for me so I can troubleshoot? Like tony sculptor skin r20 for example.

When I grab them they seen to be ''blank'' and have no nodes attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

starting on the materials for dis boi