Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sure the reddit threads for this are a real hoot

Also the Japanese fanbase.

Wasn't the reason we got Au Ra women as they are because the Japanese fanbase demanded smaller, more demure and petite women than were available in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

5er posted:

I appreciate the responses! I might just blow 30 now (gmg has discounted codes) for stormblood, as the next expansion is about a month and a half off anyhow.

imo, pick up the base game with heavensward, which is free right now and put the 30 bucks towards shadowbringers. There is a *lot* of content just between those two.

tote up a bags posted:

Man I kinda hope the ShB level 70>80 skills for the new classes replace or upgrade existing ones. There's a point of diminishing returns fun-wise with number of skills on a hotbar and we've clearly passed it.

Dropping role actions and unifying stance dependent binds will help a lot, but I wish they would spin the more mindless combos off to a single button pvp style.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Man I kinda hope the ShB level 70>80 skills for the new classes replace or upgrade existing ones. There's a point of diminishing returns fun-wise with number of skills on a hotbar and we've clearly passed it.

Same. There's some jobs I kinda avoid because they feel too bloated.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Dropping role actions and unifying stance dependent binds will help a lot, but I wish they would spin the more mindless combos off to a single button pvp style.

I think they'd have to modify the mechanics of the jobs more before they'd do the latter. There's not a lot of button variety due to randomized procs like what casters get, so one-button Samurai would just be you mashing 1-1-1 -> 2-2-2 -> 3-3 constantly in sequence forever. For me, at least, that'd be incredibly dull and drive me away from the class for sure.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am I going to regret rerolling tank instead of BLM while doing MSQ for the easy leveling? I like the numbers and doing my job well and getting 2/3 commends as a DPS is cool, but I'm only up to Halatali and these DPS queues are killing me.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Also the Japanese fanbase.

Wasn't the reason we got Au Ra women as they are because the Japanese fanbase demanded smaller, more demure and petite women than were available in the game?

No?

Fake Edit: This seems like a post you might wanna rethink.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Arist posted:

I hope it's largely upgrades because I love the way BRD plays right now and I'm terrified they'll gently caress it up somehow

I'm new to the game and I'm a 42 BRD right now, any tips on how I should be playing?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

am I going to regret rerolling tank instead of BLM while doing MSQ for the easy leveling? I like the numbers and doing my job well and getting 2/3 commends as a DPS is cool, but I'm only up to Halatali and these DPS queues are killing me.

Not at all. I'd recommend leveling MRD over GLD if it's your first tank, just because MRD is a little more interesting to play pre-50 and has a very powerful, hard hitting feeling to it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Stormgale posted:

No?

Fake Edit: This seems like a post you might wanna rethink.

But it is? Do we need to get out the images of what was originally gonna be female Au Ra?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Arist posted:

I hope it's largely upgrades because I love the way BRD DRG plays right now and I'm terrified they'll gently caress it up somehow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Leal posted:

But it is? Do we need to get out the images of what was originally gonna be female Au Ra?

I mean, let's be honest, here: they went with the demure, waifish Au Ra instead of the hard-as-nails Au Ra because it would sell vastly better, regardless of cultural particulars. The ratio of Au Ra/Miqo'te/Midlander to Highlander/Roegadyn on live servers says it all. I imagine a similar calculus went into the female Hrothgar decision.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Not at all. I'd recommend leveling MRD over GLD if it's your first tank, just because MRD is a little more interesting to play pre-50 and has a very powerful, hard hitting feeling to it.

I've played all the tanks before. I have terminal brainworms so every time I come back to the game I roll a new character. I want to play PLD because I'm on PS4 and I don't trust myself to not gently caress up on a controller, which is why I'm not a healer for the first time in years

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Vermain posted:

I mean, let's be honest, here: they went with the demure, waifish Au Ra instead of the hard-as-nails Au Ra because it would sell vastly better, regardless of cultural particulars. The ratio of Au Ra/Miqo'te/Midlander to Highlander/Roegadyn on live servers says it all. I imagine a similar calculus went into the female Hrothgar decision.

Leal posted:

My point was specifically singling out the JP fanbase seemed silly, if anything i'd point to the Dev's themselves and their particular preconceptions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've played all the tanks before. I have terminal brainworms so every time I come back to the game I roll a new character. I want to play PLD because I'm on PS4 and I don't trust myself to not gently caress up on a controller, which is why I'm not a healer for the first time in years

I'm actually still going to recommend MRD/WAR, especially since you're on a controller and uncertain about your performance on it. PLD has a relatively high number of oGCDs that need to be constantly monitored, whereas WAR only really has Upheaval that you need to keep track of. If you're worried about loving up your rotation by not being fast enough, WAR is perfect for you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaubocks posted:

i have a hotbar with some really niche applications on it

is there a way to set up a button so i press it and the hotbar disappears, then i press the button again and it reappears? i'd just like to be able to put it away if i don't need it and bring it back without any hassle when i do

Vermain posted:

/hotbar display #

Replace # with the number of the hotbar and put it in a macro. If you put on/off after that line, it will specifically set it on/off; if you don't, it will toggle it on/off instead.

This is from a few pages back but it's worth saying that you can toggle another classes hotbars. For example, if you're not using PLD 6 you can set that to your classes or minions or whatever and use it as any class. You can do some pretty sick stuff with the UI like this. A few years back on PC I had a big reactive UI setup like I was using a bunch of WoW addons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's a new text letter from the producer, and gently caress me that Hrothgar actually looks really really good.

i, uh, hmm.

drat.

femroe might be beaten here, folks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just remember, everyone: cuteness lies not in the shape of the body, but the shape of the heart.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I too hope the devs who did all that loving unbidden modeling work for glasses on Viera and Hrothgar get at least a giant bonus, if not an outright raise or a vacation

That's some above and beyond poo poo for any branch of game development

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I too hope the devs who did all that loving unbidden modeling work for glasses on Viera and Hrothgar get at least a giant bonus, if not an outright raise or a vacation

That's some above and beyond poo poo for any branch of game development

They earned the greatest prize of all: Better glams.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

Bleu posted:

Right click > Sort

holy poo poo this is the post of the year

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

justblais posted:

holy poo poo this is the post of the year

I have a macro that automatically sorts my inventory and my armory chest. You can mess around with the sorting options, but I don't remember the specifics.

/isort condition armoury ilv des
/isort execute armoury
/isort condition inventory category asc
/isort execute inventory

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm new to the game and I'm a 42 BRD right now, any tips on how I should be playing?

You don't have most of your tools yet but here's some advice anyway: Straight Shot stays up always always always. Do not reapply your DoTs unless it's up. At your current level you'll have Mage's Ballad and Army's Paeon, and those should be used one after the other, in that order. Use Raging Strikes + Barrage + Heavy Shot at the beginning of Mage's because it's currently your most powerful song. If you can, try to apply your DoTs while Raging Strikes is up as well. You'll get your third song, Wanderer's Minuet, at level 52, and from there pretty much everything changes. You'll want to use Raging Strikes and Barrage with Wanderer's instead of Mage's at that point, and once you get all three songs you should pretty much always have a song active.

Feel free to ask again once you get to 52, Bard changes a lot at that point.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009
With regard to inventory cleanup, what should I be doing with gear that I no longer need?

I figure anything is better than just straight up vendoring, but I've been out of the game for a few years and honestly can't remember my options / what I "should" be doing. I would want to go on to level crafting eventually, but I also don't want to be perma-poor.

Also, when it comes to quest rewards, should I take gear or the currency pieces?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Tanks are cool, and WAR does crazypants damage anyway. Become the axemonster of your wildest dreams.

GunblazeGriffin posted:

With regard to inventory cleanup, what should I be doing with gear that I no longer need?

Also, when it comes to quest rewards, should I take gear or the currency pieces?

The general rule I try to follow is that whites get shoved into the nearest NPC, while greens and above get recycled into GC credits. I tend to take gear rewards from quests over the currency as it's useful for leveling up alt jobs, but I'm also a crazy person trying to get them all to 70 (don't do this).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

GunblazeGriffin posted:

I figure anything is better than just straight up vendoring, but I've been out of the game for a few years and honestly can't remember my options / what I "should" be doing. I would want to go on to level crafting eventually, but I also don't want to be perma-poor.

With leftover gear, if it's white, just vendor it, if it's higher, trade it in at your grand company for seals.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If it's white and you have 100% spiritbond, though, convert it to materia.

Or you could always use old gear to level desynth! :pseudo:

don't level desynth

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Is there a player-economy-driven auction house, and gathering skills that can provide a reasonable income a' la good ol' WoW? Or do things work differently?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

5er posted:

Is there a player-economy-driven auction house, and gathering skills that can provide a reasonable income a' la good ol' WoW? Or do things work differently?

There is a marketboard where you list an item and have someone immediately undercut you by 1 gil. There are also gathering classes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

5er posted:

There is, but it works differently than WoW.

In short, gathering is about the time you put into it. The only competition is what other players sell their goods at. Everyone is instanced to their own gathering nodes.

Bear in mind that you'll need the stats on gatherer gear if you want to gather higher level items. Vendors sell some gatherer gear but the best is crafted, and it gets pricey. It's possible to only do gathering but it's not efficient by itself.

From there, it's the revelation that crafting classes are interdependent as well. Leveling one or two won't really cut it, and it's a considerable time investment. Personally I think it's worth it, but ymmv.

Also, we might see overhauls in ShB, like Yoshi P has said he'd like folks to be able to specialize instead of being omnicrafters, so all this might change soon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Leal posted:

There is a marketboard where you list an item and have someone immediately undercut you by 1 gil.

this is factually incorrect

you will get undercut by thousands, constantly

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

faptown posted:

I have a macro that automatically sorts my inventory and my armory chest. You can mess around with the sorting options, but I don't remember the specifics.

/isort condition armoury ilv des
/isort execute armoury
/isort condition inventory category asc
/isort execute inventory

Please add a third OP post that's nothing but brilliant poo poo like this that I'd never discover in a million years on my own

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait a sec, how many pieces of head gear exist in the game?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

at least, like, ten.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Amon's hat, slime hat...

So 2?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pedigree 9 helmet, bunny ears, umm.... eyemask from the arr beast tribes

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The sunglasses, the beach sunglasses, the reading glasses

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally read the live letter. Holy poo poo, this is why FFXIV is so good.

"Oh yeah, remember when we said Viera/Hrothgar headgear wouldn't work out? Yeah, all the designers went behind my back and fixed them anyway. Also, we don't want our game ruined by pedos. gently caress pedos. Please look forward to it!"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait a sec, how many pieces of head gear exist in the game?

It's probably somewhere in the range of 900-1000, especially since headgear has way more cosmetic options than other slots. I imagine that they focused primarily on ones that wouldn't require significant remodeling (glasses, the various flowers, certain masks) and popular pieces like the Songbird hat, the maid headband, etc. Chances are good that, if it didn't require them to physically cut out earholes or remodel a lower half (such as with full face helmets), they did some work on it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Leaked screenshot for the character creator changes in ShB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leal posted:

Leaked screenshot for the character creator changes in ShB.

This is mean.

People make big deals about catgirl butts, but highlady butts are so non-existent that they're almost concave.