Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kris xK posted:

A coworker was telling me that rare and legendary items can only be found in ironman mode. I'm pretty sure he's crazy.

He is crazy, isn't he?

he's crazy

i've seen a couple in the shop in my militia game and at least one pub hint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kris xK posted:

A coworker was telling me that rare and legendary items can only be found in ironman mode. I'm pretty sure he's crazy.

He is crazy, isn't he?

I don't know about crazy but he's dead-rear end wrong.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Started as raiders, and I find that with awesome barbarian bros, and the increased loot drops, getting armoured up is far easier. Haven't even done much shank party, and my lads are in raider gear at day 10 :toot:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kris xK posted:

He is crazy, isn't he?

I wish my coworkers played Battle Bros.

Also he's super wrong.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do you build your barbarian buddies?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lord Bude posted:

He's not even close to good enough to make the cut. Those stats are hilariously bad. I wouldn't take him even as a shield bro.

He's cool though, which is almost as important.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
I'm liking the whip so far. Not sure if it's worth it to spec someone for it, but it makes it super easy to shank bandit leaders and fallen heroes if you have a few on weapon swap.
It's also a nice way to level a new brother. Give him a whip and a kite shield and he gets to stay safer than a polearm while still being useful.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I am on about day 20 with the Hedge Knight start. I didn't actually find him to be as much of a beast as I expected. He can't deal with being surrounded by multiple enemies at the start, and a Lvl4 fighter, even with good starting stats, doesn't have the fatigue or perks I generally associate with that level of equipment. I don't play Ironman and there were a lot of starting 1* contracts I had to reload and fight over several times to win. Basically 1 knight and 3 schmucks against 6 or 7 thugs, I'd be lucky to get by with only 1-2 deaths. Right now I'm building up a core of 8 decent blokes, but with only a few mail shirts and 1 semi-decent archer, I don't think the company will go forward into the mid and late game with much success. Only in a decent place because I found the golden goose and flogged it!

When you try to ask for more money/cash up front on a contract, what is the actual effect? Does it reduce the reputation boost or relationship boost of the contract? Always? Only if you fail the RNG to get the raise? No idea.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Affi posted:

How do you build your barbarian buddies?

I build them as I would any good bro. One has two stars in melee and defense, so he'll be my main two-hander(undecided on weapon, want to try the bardiche). One has one star in melee and two in defense so he'll like be sword two-hander. Last guy has no stars in def, so likely a polearmer. I also plan on giving them adrenaline, berserker and killing frenzy, because :black101:

Around level 5 now and I just murderered a caravan with 7 armored footmen. 4 of my plebs died, and one lost body parts, but so worth it.

No fletchers or loggers in the factions that isn't trying to murder me, but throwing shall win the day i suppose. drat hard when i can't lure bandits to approach my nice little hill.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 10, 2019

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Has anybody found some nice, organic maps yet? Ideally ones that have a nice flow, interesting layout. I'm sad that the latest DLC (while real fun) has changed the noble families in one of my fav map seeds: XRURUEVWMU (which is from this thread anyway iirc).

I really wish this game had a map editor or something, because while I enjoy the core gameplay, I find the way the map generation functions a bit obnoxious sometimes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm trying the seed Hellworld right now, will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone fought a champion for their unique yet?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I wish my coworkers played Battle Bros.

Ill send this guy to you then, cause he's super annoying and extremely weird 50 year old that calls everyone "puppet".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Deserters are absolutely terrible, because they are all Deserters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg bb edit isn't updated yet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I have a nasty feeling that the peasants don't get to recruit hunters, because the forest city with a fletcher that I just stopped in only had one poacher available.

So far the seed Hellworld is very playable, though I've only been to half the map.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KidNation also seems pretty good so far. Will have to report back when I have more time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Night10194 posted:

The Deserters are absolutely terrible, because they are all Deserters.

Yeah despite the advantages it feels like a 3 skull start.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Merch's money bonus and lots of starting goods is actually legit nice I'm just worried the renown penalty will screw them long term.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The Merch's money bonus and lots of starting goods is actually legit nice I'm just worried the renown penalty will screw them long term.

Don't enemies largely spawn based on Renown? So while you would take far longer to get to noble house contracts (which is a pretty big negative) your enemies might be comparatively weaker (which is double-edged, less dangerous but also less fun, with poorer loot).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am loving my monk from the raiders start as right now at level 5 or so he is rocking over 100 resolve.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunt11 posted:

I am loving my monk from the raiders start as right now at level 5 or so he is rocking over 100 resolve.

I absolutely love that they drag him along completely unarmed.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dreylad posted:

Yeah despite the advantages it feels like a 3 skull start.

The only use for their unique gimmick are probably battles you want to retreat from. Like getting ambushed in woods and such. The starting gear does not make up for that, since you want to replace the starting bros anyway, because of their low resolve. Last guy had 17.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voyager I posted:

I took a stab at a Cultist start and wasn't thrilled by it. At the most basic level it plays like an ordinary start, only your initial brothers aren't good and you don't get an archer. Cultists are easier to find as recruits, but they seem to like spawning with pieces from a new set of cultist armor that make them prohibitively expensive for an early game company, especially considering that they otherwise aren't great fighters.

...as to *why* you're going to be worried so much about recruiting Cultists...it turns out the developers were not being dramatic when they said that non-Cultists were disturbed by the rituals. I had my new company going steady at 10 men when Davkul asked for one of them, and by the next day we numbered 5 because everyone who wasn't one of the flock deserted.

What are the boons that Davkul now gives for sacrifices and rituals? Is it still just the Davkul armor set pieces, or does he also give stat boosts or other things?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have the new DLC but never picked up Beasts and Exploration. Is Beasts as good as this new one and worth picking up?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
As a raider start, is there a way to get more raiders peacefully?

I'm gonna head back up north and start raiding when I get the chance and enough men

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

vyelkin posted:

I have a nasty feeling that the peasants don't get to recruit hunters, because the forest city with a fletcher that I just stopped in only had one poacher available.

So far the seed Hellworld is very playable, though I've only been to half the map.

Yeah, I'm only seeing poachers (and, you know, the occasional militiaman with a god-roll on ranged).

My final roster's gonna be militiamen and brawlers all the way dooooooown

Sjs00 posted:

I have the new DLC but never picked up Beasts and Exploration. Is Beasts as good as this new one and worth picking up?

I mean, the new one's super awesome, but beasts actually adds more stuff to fight. Less cohesiveness than the barbarians, but lots more geographical distribution. Also a couple bossmonsters, ~crafting and armor upgrades~, and some other stuff.

I have absolutely zero regrets about buying both at full price.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Don't enemies largely spawn based on Renown? So while you would take far longer to get to noble house contracts (which is a pretty big negative) your enemies might be comparatively weaker (which is double-edged, less dangerous but also less fun, with poorer loot).

As I recall renown only really affects the price level (and difficulty) of contracts you can get, overworld parties and sites are based on... other stuff. Including but not limited to time and company strength (sum of levels).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

So far I like this one more than Beasts and Exploration, but I'd say they're both worth getting.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Sjs00 posted:

I would answer that with a careful yes....

First of all, it's relatively cheap and you support a really cool game. B&E adds a bigger world, like 25% bigger, more events, weapons, some crafting and gear customization, one new merc background/company origin, new legendary locations and about 5 new monsters.

Opinions about the new monsters vary. Some add a good challenge, others are just dumb and annoying, yet dangerous (see Alps).

Warriors of the North is more what I personally wanted. A new unique human faction, fresh company mechanics and a solution to the mid-game named weapon grind.

I would rate WotN higher, but B&E still has good value, even if you don't like some of the new monsters, thanks to the world size, events, gear, crafting....

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I'm trying the seed Hellworld right now, will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone fought a champion for their unique yet?

I'm trying Hellworld with the barbarian start and it's really solid. The bottom half of the map is friendly, your starting barbarians are solid, and the faction you have access to has a good variety of towns.

Also I bought a staff sling for my tag-along monk and it's really solid against early units even with his horrible ranged stats.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 10, 2019

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

JosephWongKS posted:

What are the boons that Davkul now gives for sacrifices and rituals? Is it still just the Davkul armor set pieces, or does he also give stat boosts or other things?

Sacrificing a brother gave two of my existing cultists a trait called Fanatic of Davkul, which gave them +10 Resolve and made them ignore morale checks from taking damage or witnessing an ally die. It's a nifty bonus and would be great if it landed on a converted a deserter or something, but on an a natural cultist it's sorta unnecessarily doubling down on the only thing they're already good at. This was only on day twenty and the sacrifice was a new hire, so I don't know if you get better boons from offering higher-level brothers or something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'm trying Hellworld with the barbarian start and it's really solid. The bottom half of the map is friendly, your starting barbarians are solid, and the faction you have access to has a good variety of towns.

Also I bought a staff sling for my tag-along monk and it's really solid against early units even with his horrible ranged stats.

I have a poacher in my Hellworld peasant band who's been using a staff sling the whole time, and he has garbage ranged but at one point managed two headshots in a row against an enemy which was a one-turn kill. Pretty impressive!

I was also very relieved the first time I came up against bandit poachers and they were also using staff slings.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Voyager I posted:

Sacrificing a brother gave two of my existing cultists a trait called Fanatic of Davkul, which gave them +10 Resolve and made them ignore morale checks from taking damage or witnessing an ally die. It's a nifty bonus and would be great if it landed on a converted a deserter or something, but on an a natural cultist it's sorta unnecessarily doubling down on the only thing they're already good at. This was only on day twenty and the sacrifice was a new hire, so I don't know if you get better boons from offering higher-level brothers or something.

Datamining revealed there are much higher and better ranks in the Davkul cult.
spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoiler
spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoiler
Zealot of Davkul: +10 Resolve, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying or losing HPs
Acolyte of Davkul: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying or losing HPs
Disciple of Davkul: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, +20 HP, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying, losing HPs or Fresh Injuries
Chosen of Davkul: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, +20 HP, +5 Melee and Ranged Defense, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying, losing HPs or Fresh Injuries

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Lone wolf becomes alot easier early on if you buy a shield and sword for riposte. I've gotten my guy up to level 8 in 9 days just by getting lucky and counter attacking entire teams to death. Once you get underdog its very easy. Probably going to get this guy to level 11 then finally recruit some. This also lets you build up a big nest egg of cash quickly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bogarts posted:

Lone wolf becomes alot easier early on if you buy a shield and sword for riposte. I've gotten my guy up to level 8 in 9 days just by getting lucky and counter attacking entire teams to death. Once you get underdog its very easy. Probably going to get this guy to level 11 then finally recruit some. This also lets you build up a big nest egg of cash quickly.

Yeah but that's being smart and not savouring in the longsword manliness

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Still not completely sold on Beasts and Exploration, the base game kicks my rear end and I fought the Barbarians once and they all used Adrenaline and killed all my dudes.
What the hell, I guess I'll just get slaughtered by spiders and shadow monsters and whatever an 'unhold' is.
So what difficulty settings do you guys play on?
The streamer I watch plays on Easy Economy High Funds and Expert Combat and I guess that's why all my dudes keep dying.
Hell, sold on B&E honestly I can't argue with supporting an indie get Dev

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Battle Brothers: Savoring the Longsword Manliness

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
So I guess I've found the start of a new boss quest.

I found an "Ice Cave" and when you go in it lets you send a single guy in to investigate which leads to a one on one fight with a beefy supernatural barbarian. If you win you get a named barbarian cleaver and a ruined set of armor that can't be equipped(yet). After the battle you are approached by a guy who says that cave was inhabited by the spirit of the Ijirok and that it will remember me and seek revenge.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

Still not completely sold on Beasts and Exploration, the base game kicks my rear end and I fought the Barbarians once and they all used Adrenaline and killed all my dudes.
What the hell, I guess I'll just get slaughtered by spiders and shadow monsters and whatever an 'unhold' is.
So what difficulty settings do you guys play on?
The streamer I watch plays on Easy Economy High Funds and Expert Combat and I guess that's why all my dudes keep dying.
Hell, sold on B&E honestly I can't argue with supporting an indie get Dev

High starting funds, but veteran for the other two difficulties. Expert would require me to pay full attention and run away from fights, neither of which I like doing too much. High starting funds feels better and really just speeds along the first few “400 gold for killing 5 bandit thugs” imo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I will always use high starting funds because i'd rather get into the game quicker. Vet or expert difficulty tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bogarts posted:

So I guess I've found the start of a new boss quest.

I found an "Ice Cave" and when you go in it lets you send a single guy in to investigate which leads to a one on one fight with a beefy supernatural barbarian. If you win you get a named barbarian cleaver and a ruined set of armor that can't be equipped(yet). After the battle you are approached by a guy who says that cave was inhabited by the spirit of the Ijirok and that it will remember me and seek revenge.

there was a dev post about this endboss and it looks super cool and between this and the Kraken validates my insistence on Pathfinder