Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is it worth it to make cloaks of invulnerability for my main army casters? Im going up against bird people and want some decent protection.

Check their national roster: do you see magical weapons on their recruit anywhere non-sacred? Then no. I’m thinking of Carlin, but cannot recall the lineup of some other bird nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is it worth it to make cloaks of invulnerability for my main army casters? Im going up against bird people and want some decent protection. I can crank them out easy enough with my master smiths sitting on a forge site with whatever the global is (Im forgotting now) that helps with item forging. Cost isn't really an issue.

I wouldn't. Depending on the bird nation, they can get magic weapons which ignore invulnerability, and if they're attacking your mageline you're in bad shape even if the mages don't immediately die

I'd suggest putting your mages in either the middle of your army or inside a big blob of troops so they can't get immediately sniped by birdmans

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yeah if flying soldiers are attacking your backline mages you already hosed up. Some extra protection isn't going to make a big difference and also yes most Caelian troops have magic weaponry which ignores invulnerability.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is it worth it to make cloaks of invulnerability for my main army casters? Im going up against bird people and want some decent protection. I can crank them out easy enough with my master smiths sitting on a forge site with whatever the global is (Im forgotting now) that helps with item forging. Cost isn't really an issue.

Not against Caelum. The majority of EA and MA Caelum troops have magic weapons, namely Spire Horn and Airya Caelians, only Raptor Clan Caelians have non-magical weapons. And the Spire Horn and Airya Caelians have expelled the Raptors between EA and MA, meaning all of MA Caelum's troops can pierce invulnerability. When the Raptors return and take over Caelum in LA, about half of the troops are Raptor Clan Caelians with non-magical weapons, but they still have Spire Horn and Airya clan members that could hurt your mages. The Caelum half od LA Ragha are all Airya clan members, so they all have magical weapons. Only MA Nazca is different, apart from the Sun Guard sacreds, all of their (recruitable) troops have non-magical weapons. But they often resort to spam their summonable sacreds, who both have magic weapons.

So invulnerability is particularly bad against most Caelian nations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Didn't Ramc say that the patch that made soul slay permadeath happened mid-game ? Before that, they were perfectly safe.
Of course the *second one* is less forgivable :)

Of course, to maximize the confusion of those not comprehensively reading patch notes, the "Soul Slay increases how long it takes Immortals to return" loading screen tip is still in the game. Whoops.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I mean technically increasing a number to infinity amount of turns to come back is true...

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Have there been any attempts by modders to make more blessings?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Schwza posted:

No survivors.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

Of course, to maximize the confusion of those not comprehensively reading patch notes, the "Soul Slay increases how long it takes Immortals to return" loading screen tip is still in the game. Whoops.

I mean this is Illwinter documentation we're talking about. On the "precise, concise and accurate description of how things work" it's assumed to be on par with your average Cthulhu cultist's manifesto.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Schwza posted:

If it was easy, it'd have been done. Modders do some insane stuff in this game. The best you *might* be able to do is nudge the numbers for existing blesses.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

If it was easy, it'd have been done. Modders do some insane stuff in this game. The best you *might* be able to do is nudge the numbers for existing blesses.

how optimistic of you

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Modding in general has come a long way though, blesses are just the giant glaring exception. I *think* it'd be possible to edit the weapon bless effects so you could theoretically make them better or worse.

Most of the game effects now have mod tags. As an example, items used to have a fixed cost associated with the forging path, and the only thing you could really change was weapon and armor stats. Realistically this just meant you could ham handedly change the price of existing items, because illwinter had already covered all the bases of generic magic weapon.

You can contrast that with Mu's Item MUtator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd7qfgfhy9xd1yy/mu_items_v2.rar?dl=1 which has drastically altered the price of every item, and added a while bunch of cool new things, including a boxing glove that shrinks people.

This carries over into almost every other area of the game, there's a great deal of cool stuff you can do with mod nations, national items, all kinds of stuff if you want to go wild. You can even edit some scale effects.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It seems to me like modding the blesses would require binary patching which, compared to the usual ease that is modding, and the odds that they'll just add it anyway, seems entirely not worth the effort.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 48

Getting pretty busy!

No mind hunts succeeded :negative:
But no brains were reaped :unsmith:

Time for some propheting!

Phelegra takes the province our exodus force is leaving behind. If we splat on the throne there is no escape prov and everyone dies.

Terrorism.

A scout spies AI Marignon trying to give a Tyrant the boot.

He is heroically precise if you were wondering.

Also mostly immune to fire good luck Marignon (Who does not even have a priest to bless his dudes here)

Brutal.

But wait A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES. all 3 armies moved into this province this month I guess.

This is definitely some kind of high concept thug killing army. Wizards are spamming steal breath but cant hit him because of dismal precision.

Well the troops charge in and what are they actually hurting him.

Blah blah wait- a great sword of sharpness?

Oh my gosh those aren't cavalry line troops those are black lord counter thugs.

haha one has a MOON BLADE

they kill him incredible
this game is perfect

More harassment.

A pile of elves lay siege to my Eriu zone fort. I am gonna let this go and probably try to jailbreak my mages there.

It is do or die over here at the throne zone.

This should be largely painless though.

An advance force of wave riders hitch them up a bit while I get some water elementals.

Then steam in to be annihilated.

I cast serpent blessing for +10 poison resistance and foul vapors but that was definitely overkill for the fight.

They rout. It was a pretty good win.

I am kicked off the exodus siege fort.

I ping the nazca throne.

A lynchpin earth/astral mage clearly to cast the big buffs wait- he has a SLAVE matrix i don't think divine frog realizes that... does he? He might figure it out later so I can't assume but lol forever at the idea of all those gems on a communion slave.

A bless reminder and his ghost birds have storm flying. Great.

Raw numbers. No PD? Ok.

Lazy!

It keeps happening.

That is not ideal. I'm moving some people into a nearby province still in strike range to spread the mouths out.

I am not sending anyone but look forward to thugs. I am so sorry guys I had nothing funny I could use.

Overview.

I am claiming the throne and building a lab. The thaumaturgy bonus could be good but this place is way the heck away from my holdings to get appropriate wizards over.

Nazca built a palisade. Hmph.

I am going to take one more shot at this brain reap I think.

My orders overview. Mostly I am getting ready to hit Nazca here. It is going to be a mess and now I got to go through a palisade if he hunkers down. It's inconvenient but if I manage it I win so let's do it right.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Have you put +Penetration items on those mind hunt mages, or is it just vanilla brain reaping?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Blah blah wait- a great sword of sharpness?

Oh my gosh those aren't cavalry line troops those are black lord counter thugs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
did you manage to Mind Hunt the second global guy?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Ramc posted:

He is heroically precise if you were wondering.
he has 9 precision m8.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

Have you put +Penetration items on those mind hunt mages, or is it just vanilla brain reaping?

Some have eyes of the void, some have spell foci.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

did you manage to Mind Hunt the second global guy?

:negative:

Mu. posted:

he has 9 precision m8.

Sometimes the real heroic thing to do is to try your best.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

...gonna guess that's a 'no'

oops

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

i only have paint

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Chad Jihad posted:

i only have paint

:vince:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

i only have paint

you did good

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
turns out having no strategy other than 'thug my slow to recruit cap mages' is sometimes a bad idea!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

i only have paint

a hero

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

i only have paint

perfect

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

holy poo poo

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Have they changed the RNG since Dom 3, or is it still that one?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouldn't that be '1998'?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 12, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 49

is a l o n g b o i

We have Thaumaturgy 7. Some nice globals in here.

The elements throne is claimed by Nazca.

I forgot to rename the fish to 'If You Want To Cross The Bridge, MY SWEET' and it bothers me.

The mind hunts are resisted and halfway through the spell turn order c'tis teleports in a s3 mage to protect his global holder and the second half get reaped alas. Mad forever.

Got two +1 earth sites.

This is my prophet now! 40% regeneration rate. Nice.

Those guys again.

And these undead lizard jerks.

Nazca attacking me underwater hm ok...

We learn that ghosts can fly underwater here.

A barrel of air is kind of spendy for this sort of thing. It is probably event trash.

But I gonna try to keep my eye on the ball here.

0PD from C'tis

A thug sent underwater at our splendor throne fort!

His fire shield does not work underwater by the way.

He dies like a chump and we get some free stuff!

I am taking some UW stuff back from Eriu.

Phaecia is clearing its cap circle still. Bah!

C'tis is storming the TC fort and hey what are those...

raaaaad

i love them

Most of the kills they make are friendly fire.

Time for events.

Hooray!

"handful"

We came out ahead on this for once.

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEE

ROUND ONE

In this corner a skelespam nazcan with 2 death gems.

In this corner a tyrant super thug with a cool hat for a REAL WIZARD. Not for like... a stab man.

The Hurin starts to skelespam but with reinvig the tyrant can do this all day- hey wait what is that new unit with a different team color

the Hurin summons a pair of these ladies how will this work out for him?

:ok:

They fly up to the Tyrant and without dealing any damage their fear aura triggers his morale rout.

The dude jumps the arena palisade to die in the astral sea I guess!!!!

owns

uh... ROUND TWO

AI vs AI

In this corner SOME GUY WITH A KNIFE.

and in this corner... SOME GRANDPA NERD WIZARD

WHO WILL WIN THIS CLASH OF TITANS

brutal

A new champion is crowned. Beware the iron fist of the east.

C'tis must have stormed down that cap.

Overview. Getting pushed back but I am also not fighting super hard because I need to consolidate force.

I am consolidating the pile for a strike next turn. I am attacking with a scout because he has 0 pd on his fort and it would be funny if it works.

Here I am siege breaking and fleeing the Eriu fort

Take that!!!
His god is in there too but also heretic wizards so his dominion will only rocket up so much.

His slave matrix wizard was Ferrus- a merc- so he probably is just unlucky with his item spawns rather than foolish.

Overview. Soon I will lunge that nazca throne and ???maybe win??? but who knows. Dominions is wild ride.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How did that Hurin Priest get attacked by his own summoned Lammashta?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
lammashtas are low research because they are on team horror

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

With a few nations starting to carve into you, how bad is your position if you don't win with this lunge?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Damanation posted:

With a few nations starting to carve into you, how bad is your position if you don't win with this lunge?

The carving wouldn't be fatal but reversing and retaking my stuff would be slow going. A water nation is normally a battleship to maneuver under the sea.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol, the most unworthy arena winner ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I got that hat on turn 5 or so to a random event and it was totally useless for me. so I considered it my 'break in case of emergency' secret weapon. At this point I've realized ramc is going to win in like 2 turns and I don't have a way to make thet guy useful in time, so give him the hat to show how serious things are

he died like a chump