Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need DQ Builders 2 to come out now so I'm not tempted daily to buy Minecraft again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I need DQ Builders 2 to come out now so I'm not tempted daily to buy Minecraft again.

Buy both.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ciaphas posted:

It's a great platformer with divisive (but i think good overall, except for that peterson nonsense) writing, that halfway through devolves into an exploration platformer a la SotN that (IMO) frankly isn't very good. Not enough fast travel and the zones are too long to support that kind of gameplay. Fantastic music though.

The Peterson bullshit is the best writing in the game. The rest of it is very clearly somebody's first writing project, the humor is super 2003 "hey the joke here is that the joke goes on too long" and the one cool idea in the game is ruined by the main character immediately piping up with "wow, [plot twist]? I can't believe [plot twist]. I hope everybody is paying attention, because [plot twist] just happened and I don't want anybody to miss it."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Spent the $10 on Tetris DLC as I want to get better.

Also bought For the King, my girlfriend and I are looking forward to some chill couch co-op.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Real hurthling! posted:

He means the bag, the pieces coming up, in that picture are not to his liking, although i think that arrangement is still in conformation with tetris rules so its probably just a fluke bag that went

Line, s, j, z, box, l, t
And the next bag went
T, l, box ...

It's perfect T-spin prep!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

It's perfect T-spin prep!

Yeah gimme all the orange l's and boxes in the world please

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I want DQ Builders 2 to come out now since I don't care about minecraft at all

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't like that a T-spin is better than a Tetris in Tetris, the same way I don't like that a triple 20 is worth more than a bullseye in darts. That's horseshit it's the loving bullseye. And in Battleship it isn't even the best ship.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tspins own cause you can play more freeform instead of just waiting for the line piece like a chump

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Beastie posted:

Also bought For the King, my girlfriend and I are looking forward to some chill couch co-op.

Report in with your impressions please!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats a t-spin

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Report in with your impressions please!

We'll probably tuck into it tonight. I'll try to get something up by tomorrow. It had great reviews on Steam and she loves games turn based games, so I figured why not.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats a t-spin

There is a particular configuration you slide your t brick into and it counts for extra.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Disappointed he doesn’t look like Kermit the Frog and rant incoherently about lobsters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't like that a T-spin is better than a Tetris in Tetris, the same way I don't like that a triple 20 is worth more than a bullseye in darts. That's horseshit it's the loving bullseye. And in Battleship it isn't even the best ship.

Pretty sure it's equal in the amount of junk it sends back, not better.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A t-spin sends as much junk from 3 lines as a Tetris does from 4. So it's probably better somehow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Pretty sure it's equal in the amount of junk it sends back, not better.

A double is equal a triple does more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats a t-spin

Imagine a 3x3 grid with 3 corners occupied by blocks. Slide a t into the gap and hit spin to clear the lines for big points

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Time works the same way

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats a t-spin

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
imagine a t-block stamping on a human face, forever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

a true classic

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

gey muckle mowser posted:

imagine a t-block spinning on a human face, forever

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about FFXII again and what I didn't like about it and I finally remembered what made the job system such a bummer for me. Almost none of the licenses are exclusive! There is no job flavour at all when all the jobs share the same abilities. Take the iconic White Mage spells Cura and Raise for example - you'd think you would need a White Mage to use those but nope, they're also shared with Red Battlemage, Monk, Time Battlemage and Archer. Almost every skill is like this, which means that the only really unique thing you get for picking a job is which weapon that character is autoattacking with. :sigh: That's in addition to the fact that they're licenses, so you don't even learn the spells or abilities. You're just allowed to use them once you get to the town where you can buy them from a vendor.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I bought the Tetris DLC, because why the hell not... I already sank 30 hours into the game, it deserved my 10 bux.

Anyway, tried each of the Tetris 99 bot battles on each difficulty. I won every difficulty except for the last one on my first try. The hardest difficulty was still challenging. I will say that it misses that human element of getting your block stack really high and having everyone mass target you. Which was a go to strategy for me in the actual game. You can also set a handicap and give yourself badges to start, which is neat. Easiest setting was a joke... I finished the game with barely any garbage sent my way and 30 KOs.

Have not tried the 999 line Marathon mode. But that looks like it could be fun. Either way... was nice being abel to play it on my commute this morning when I normally can't

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Computer posted:

I was thinking about FFXII again and what I didn't like about it and I finally remembered what made the job system such a bummer for me. Almost none of the licenses are exclusive! There is no job flavour at all when all the jobs share the same abilities. Take the iconic White Mage spells Cura and Raise for example - you'd think you would need a White Mage to use those but nope, they're also shared with Red Battlemage, Monk, Time Battlemage and Archer. Almost every skill is like this, which means that the only really unique thing you get for picking a job is which weapon that character is autoattacking with. :sigh: That's in addition to the fact that they're licenses, so you don't even learn the spells or abilities. You're just allowed to use them once you get to the town where you can buy them from a vendor.

Don’t have the game with me but I think some of those only have access to good spells by linking to the licenses via specific espers so it’s not just a simple matter of all the mages having good rezzing/healing. The job system is a hell of a lot better than the original everyone ends up the same but if unless you’re building in a specific way you won’t have raise on all those jobs.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 10, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Like I feel dumb having gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris over this way back when, but I'd think I'd prefer the dedicated Tetris game. Is there any other difference? (Yes I find the Anime of the former grating both visually and auditorily).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Since everyone seems to have the Tetris bug at the moment, check out this 30 minute mini-documentary about the World Tetris Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RaqVGzhQTM

I stumbled across it a while back poking around YouTube while baked out of my mind and found it entertaining. Waaaaaaaaaay more hardcore about Tetris than I have any interest in playing, but it was kind of fun to see just how far they take it at that level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ppt has a lot of modes and features

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t have the game with me but I think some of those only have access to good spells by linking to the licenses via specific espers so it’s not just a simple matter of all the mages having good rezzing/healing. The job system is a hell of a lot better than the original everyone ends up the same but if unless you’re building in a specific way you won’t have raise on all those jobs.
well, I am certainly not debating that :v:

that was just an example though, the full list shows just how many jobs share the different abilities and even accounting for the esper thing there's still a crazy amount of overlap. Nothing feels unique, it's more like every job is just grabbing from a common pool of spells and abilities. It just doesn't feel like a job system, which really disappointed me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Like I feel dumb having gotten Puyo Puyo Tetris over this way back when, but I'd think I'd prefer the dedicated Tetris game. Is there any other difference? (Yes I find the Anime of the former grating both visually and auditorily).

I was playing PPT last night while listening to podcasts, but I feel the same way. Probably gonna buy the dlc this week when I get paid, definitely gonna try and get that Gameboy skin, much more my aesthetic.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Ppt has a lot of modes and features

It does for sure, and it has it's uses if ever I get people over, but that happens very rarely. I play solo way more often than anything else. The marathon mode in it isn't particularly great either, I can consistently finish it without much effort.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I feel like just being able to do the 99br with cpu will be refreshing compared to PPTs cpu.

Can work out basic strategies and get used to the game compared to just getting gud at the base mechanics, which isn't bad, just not that engaging for everyone.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I was playing PPT last night while listening to podcasts, but I feel the same way. Probably gonna buy the dlc this week when I get paid, definitely gonna try and get that Gameboy skin, much more my aesthetic.

Yeah. There may be a Splatfest that day, but I'd rather burn my time getting the skin. I'm not usually a glutton for nostalgia, but this is something else.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how the gently caress Saints Row 3 looks like such rear end on Switch. After the work that was put into DOOM I don't think anyone has an excuse anymore, it's now a question of whether or not you suck at optimizing your poo poo. And DOOM was from 2016, how the gently caress does a game from 2011 look and run worse?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The textures on this giant dildo are frankly just unacceptable

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Just a heads up for anyone else interested in For the King.

It is on Microsoft Gamepass. I bought it for Switch without knowing that. I'm sure I'd prefer to have it on Switch anyways but might be worth checking out if you're on the fence and own an Xbox.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Hows the saints row port? The video i saw looked good, but the reviews are really laying into its performance so I'm not sure what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You can't play Tetris with your friends unlike in PPT. As of yet anyway.

I mean Battle Royale can be fun with friends, but in T99 you're basically stuck playing against some random anonymous gang.