Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motherfucker posted:

I know you don't need to hear this online too but you really suck as a person.

Well you're a motherfucker!

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Gimmie a perk for five inventory slots instead of three so I can throw more (possibly literal) poo poo at people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you post enough as it is

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

the war axe is good for that too, with the bonus that it'll remove limbs as well. If you can stand having a slightly smaller weapon, the mace also makes really fun sounds when you cave in people's heads, and it's a 2-hit kill on any hit but legs, no matter the armor rating.

The war axe is cool but it has probably the worst stab in the entire game. It's like the slashing version of the long spear.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the war-axe stab is exclusively for morphing into the overhead, I feel. It does suck a lot though

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

The war axe is cool but it has probably the worst stab in the entire game. It's like the slashing version of the long spear.

The trick with the waraxe stab is nobody in the world will block it, any duelist will see it and immediately know that its going to be morphed into an overhe- and than you smash their loving teeth with it. Keep doing it till they DO start going for the blocks and thats when you morph it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

the war-axe stab is exclusively for morphing into the overhead, I feel. It does suck a lot though

Yeah I feel like it's the thing most vulnerable to spear/rapier dickheads.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

To be fair at a certain level it doesn't matter what your stab is when fighting spear/rapier dudes, since they're just going to chamber you anyway. The trick to fighting them is side-ways movement and wearing down their stamina by trying to stay just out of their reach and making block/chamber a lot with easy to read attacks until they just drop their poo poo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

plus it costs more for them to parry you than vice versa so if you trade parries eventually they'll be disarmed... perfectly meaningless in frontline or whatever but than again in frontline just step back a little and defend yourself till someone brains them over the back of the head while they get tunnel vision from too much stabbin.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

I've never seen it used as an actual "okay" hand sign without sarcasm. Like it's always with an eye-roll or a wink. There doesn't seem to be a pleasant way to use it lol

My dad still does this but he's 81 years old.

Edit: Also eveningstar was my best friend but now Executioner's sword is my best friend. I never had any particular trouble against them but if you drag just a little bit people go loving bonkers and you behead them.

Also, I changed my side mouse buttons to overhead left and underhand right and morphing between the two melts brains.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

your dad seems cool

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
War axe is cool enough that even if I don't use it a ton, it's one of the two whole weapon's I've blown gold on customizing.

The strangest part of the war axe to me is how horrible I am at landing underhand swings it it, despite all the crushed kneecaps I've caused with maul underhands.

I can only assume it's because the Waraxe looks and feels bigger, while stat listings wise claims it is only 5 whole centimeters "Longer" than the Maul/shortsword. Thus I'm not hugging people as close as I would with a "gently caress this thing has just, the worse reach" weapon.

(I am a boring man with boring colors).

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

My dad still does this but he's 81 years old.

Edit: Also eveningstar was my best friend but now Executioner's sword is my best friend. I never had any particular trouble against them but if you drag just a little bit people go loving bonkers and you behead them.

Also, I changed my side mouse buttons to overhead left and underhand right and morphing between the two melts brains.

That would break my mind as well because it's impossible

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Babe Magnet posted:

I've never seen it used as an actual "okay" hand sign without sarcasm. Like it's always with an eye-roll or a wink. There doesn't seem to be a pleasant way to use it lol

Its only been about 2 years since the the alt-right started co-opting it. Before that it was a perfectly harmless symbol understood pretty much internationally. It seems to be a thing they do these days, they arnt capable of having original thought so they just steal every day things and try and make them "their's"

On actual game content, I wish 32 player frontlines servers were easier to find. 64 player is just a little too chaotic for my tastes but the lack of any good filters in the server browser means you have to manually scroll to find them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 10, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Squeezy Farm posted:

That would break my mind as well because it's impossible

I worded it badly. I meant I'll start an attack and morph into an overhead then my next will be a morph into the underhand.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm getting really sick of rapier stab spam. There's no counter play. Bait out a party, the recovery is fast enough that they can stab before your strike lands. They miss, same story. You chamber, they parry your chamber, and are recovered before you can follow up. All you can do is hope they get staggered by friendly fire.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

Mega Comrade posted:

Its only been about 2 years since the the alt-right started co-opting it. Before that it was a perfectly harmless symbol understood pretty much internationally. It seems to be a thing they do these days, they arnt capable of having original thought so they just steal every day things and try and make them "their's"

i don't think co-opting peaceful/inane symbols is a recent development with those types of dbag

quote:

The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions.[1][2][3][4] In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s, when it became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of Aryan identity and, as a result, was stigmatized by its association with racism and antisemitism.[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

and almost even worse appropriation that ruined it for everyone ....

Orv
May 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm getting really sick of rapier stab spam. There's no counter play. Bait out a party, the recovery is fast enough that they can stab before your strike lands. They miss, same story. You chamber, they parry your chamber, and are recovered before you can follow up. All you can do is hope they get staggered by friendly fire.

The chamber kick is pretty reliable I've found, thanks to whoever posted that video yesterday. Still requires you to get in for the kick and since most rapier/shield dudes open up with a lunging stab you gotta be real sure of that first parry.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If they have enough time to attack after whiffing a parry or parry after whiffing an attack then you aren't following up quickly enough. In the former case you need to be baiting them into parrying your attack at the wrong time so they just get hit instead. In the latter case you need to anticipate the whiff and start your attack while theirs is still coming out. That's what the footsies are for.

Not that this is easy, the rapier spam does brute force through a lot of defensive options, but any competent person isn't going to be punished that easily either regardless of weapon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

timn posted:

If they have enough time to attack after whiffing a parry or parry after whiffing an attack then you aren't following up quickly enough. In the former case you need to be baiting them into parrying your attack at the wrong time so they just get hit instead. In the latter case you need to anticipate the whiff and start your attack while theirs is still coming out. That's what the footsies are for.

Not that this is easy, the rapier spam does brute force through a lot of defensive options, but any competent person isn't going to be punished that easily either regardless of weapon.

Yeah, this is my rapier killing technique or to overwhelm them with attacks. If they are attacking and blocking (if with a shield) they'll run out of stamina. The perk that adds 3 Stam per swing is pretty good to help with this.

Or lure them back to your front, friendlies love to swarm shield or rapier guys. Doubly so if it's both.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Or lure them back to your front, friendlies love to swarm shield or rapier guys. Doubly so if it's both.

yeah 99% of peoples complaints can be addressed by teamwork

also PTFO and stop dueling random people off in corners

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I can't recommend enough this: Don't overextend. I mean that, don't push too aggressively or you'll find yourself alone. As annoying as it can be, stick with your team. It also allows you to back off safely if you take too many hits or are just losing an engagement.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I get that people like duel servers, but jesus christ is it too much to ask to find just one actual FFA deathmatch server these days? Every single DM server is just loving duel duel duel duel

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah I play a speedy 0/0/0 jester class with a crossbow and an estoc and I survive fine enough as long as I pick my fights. Sure I die to a stiff breeze but with my run speed I can play opportunistically. I've been considering downgrading some points to pick up Cat and Rush, though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just bought this. y'all playing mostly first or third person?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

First. I did ok with third but block/parry like poo poo.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

soy posted:

yeah 99% of peoples complaints can be addressed by teamwork

also PTFO and stop dueling random people off in corners

You know full well that literally no one in front line even understands what an objective is

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to pop in to say everyone in a tiff about that one model and his hand or whatever is deeply retarded. Been a hilarious read though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

there's nothing more frustrating in front line than when you and 3 other dudes are contesting the middle point single handedly for like a minute straight while every other teammate dicks around.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The correct counter to rapier is to wield the all mighty cleaver and just outspam them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nurge posted:

I just wanted to pop in to say everyone in a tiff about that one model and his hand or whatever is deeply retarded. Been a hilarious read though.

Sick hot take Nurge got anymore drive by gems that add to the conversation? Don't know how people actually playing the game could of hashed it out without you. (They did)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He's mad his boy peterson made a fool of himself

Orv
May 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

You know full well that literally no one in front line even understands what an objective is

I've noticed this weird trend that I was pretty sure for a while was some kind of confirmation bias but now I think is just actually a thing. For whatever reason, red team on Mountain Peak Frontline always ends up with a bunch of archers who A. Can't kill poo poo and B. Don't ever stand near the point as it's lost and then the cart is pushed. Every single time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

any advice I give about killing a particular type of dude is from the standpoint of 1v1, in the very rare occasion you find a dude sneaking around your backline or whatever, or in the moment you have before the rest of your teams show up. My advice when playing team games is always, always roll deep, and roll smart when you do it, don't just run in spamming attacks unless you vastly outnumber someone. There's more than enough videos on twitch and youtube of single players dismantling entire teams lol

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The inexplicable contingent of players who join every single game where you can play a sniper and then do literally nothing but snipe ineffectually from max range for 1500 hours is here in force.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

The correct counter to rapier is to wield the all mighty cleaver and just outspam them.

Yes.

I really wish people were more cognizant of their positioning and range of weapons and what happens when you charge into a teammate's swing arc. That's the main reason I don't stay that close to allies if I can avoid it, it feels more like a hindrance since people dart in to try to finish the guy you're swinging at and end up eating the hammer hit aimed at the opponent then promptly tk you with their zweihander and lose the fight you were in.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh yeah try stabbing, overhands or underhands instead of cleaving through your allies.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh yeah try stabbing, overhands or underhands instead of cleaving through your allies.

Doesn't matter, someone will always manage to get their stupid loving head in the way. Always.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, playing 3/2/1 eveningstar right now...if I want to play a smashy boi that's a bit faster, is mace the way to go? Which armor combination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had a teammate last night sprint full tilt from off-screen into my overhead which decapitated him and I had no idea he was even involved in the fight before that.