Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve learned through the years that the trading cards were a big part of a lot of us getting hooked on Marvel. They were bite sized chunks of a much larger universe. A picture and a paragraph could fill you with a sense of wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao was this subheading always there?

Normally I would laugh and say "nah that's gotta be an edit" but Leah Williams is involved so now I'm betting that's part of the trade dress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve learned through the years that the trading cards were a big part of a lot of us getting hooked on Marvel. They were bite sized chunks of a much larger universe. A picture and a paragraph could fill you with a sense of wonder.

Totally. I was a mark for DC stuff but my first snippets of Marvel was from the Jim Lee Xmen set.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Normally I would laugh and say "nah that's gotta be an edit" but Leah Williams is involved so now I'm betting that's part of the trade dress

#2 has one too. #3 only seems to have logoless art atm.
https://www.comixology.com/Giant-Man-2019-2-of-3/digital-comic/758827

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Leah Williams, her What If? Magik is up on Unlimited now and owns bones. Wish that got its own series.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Leah Williams, her What If? Magik is up on Unlimited now and owns bones. Wish that got its own series.

Yeah, that and X-Men Black: Emma Frost are great one shots, but it really hurts that she didn't get to take them further because both were just so tantalising, and deserving of minis at minimum.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/georgegustines/status/1126881129338949632

quote:

Each page of the comic will correlate to one year in Marvel history. Along the way, readers will see many of the marquee characters from the mighty Marvel universe like Captain America, Thor and Iron Man, and some less familiar ones, like Blue Marvel, Night Thrasher and the Three X’s.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's really cool that Doreen, Kamala, Miles and Gwen are all part of the cover like this. :3:

That said, I'm kinda laughing at how Kamala looks like she's just standing there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tippy Toe is on there, but no FF.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Mr Hootington posted:

Tippy Toe is on there, but no FF.

Why would you ever want to include a team member from a comic that more or less started the path of modern Marvel when you can have a.......squirrel

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cap's face on that cover looks really weird to me

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
C'mon you got Storm, T'challa, Spidey and Wolverine there that's four Fantastic Four members right there. (Yes it is weird, I don't get it)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Is the guy Pete's dragging along anyone in particular? Seems weird to have some rando on there. Then again, you can't really see him on the twitter image.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 10, 2019

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
All of the images here aren't just made up by Ross, they're copies famous early images of the character. So Cap's face looks like the first page of Captain America Comics #1, Spidey and his rando are from his first cover on Amazing Fantasy, etc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

site posted:

cap's face on that cover looks really weird to me

It’s lifted directly from the first page of Captain America #1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Comic-book historians may wonder how this is No. 1000 of Marvel Comics, given the history of the title. It was called Marvel Comics for the first issue and then became Marvel Mystery Comics and later Marvel Tales, until it reached issue No. 159, when it was canceled in 1957.

While the industry sometimes engages in numerical gymnastics — with issues numbered zero or using decimal points — in this case, it is much simpler. Marvel wanted to give fans a tangible touch point for the 80th anniversary, Brevoort said. “More than anything, it was a symbolic thing.”

I've got an even simpler answer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thankfully that cover doesn't have first appearance Squirrel Girl...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
TCAF is tomorrow and I'm wondering if its worth getting North and Henderson to sign my USG #1. Or maybe the Second #1 this year issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How is that even a question of course it is

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I can afford to get a few comics again, the only one I know for sure I'm resubbing to is Ms. Marvel since I like the character and Saladin Ahmed.

Any others I should check out?

Last I was reading regularly I enjoyed All-New Wolverine, Black Panther, Hulk, and The Mighty Thor.

Is Saladin Ahmed's Spider-Man good? I'm thinking about picking that up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

How is that even a question of course it is

I've never had the opportunity to get something signed. Yes in at least 25 years of comic fandom, i've never been in a situation to get something signed.

If I had my Squrriel Girl Beats up the Marvel Universe i'd get them to sign that but, i have no idea where it is. I know I lent it to friends, but none have seem to have it,.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henderson and North will sign things for free. The only thing you have to spend is your time, and also feeling like a lesser human when confronted by a 7 foot tall ginger man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Viridiant posted:

So I can afford to get a few comics again, the only one I know for sure I'm resubbing to is Ms. Marvel since I like the character and Saladin Ahmed.

Any others I should check out?

Last I was reading regularly I enjoyed All-New Wolverine, Black Panther, Hulk, and The Mighty Thor.

Is Saladin Ahmed's Spider-Man good? I'm thinking about picking that up.

Yeah, that's good. You might also want to check out Taylor's Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, since you liked his work on ANW. I'd also recommend Immortal Hulk, Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man, Captain Marvel and Runaways.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Henderson and North will sign things for free. The only thing you have to spend is your time, and also feeling like a lesser human when confronted by a 7 foot tall ginger man.

I'm like 5'6". i feel like that all the time. Zdarsky and Gillan are going to be there too. The big draw is Junji Ito though. But i am only going for the afternoon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Have them sign both #1’s. Two number ones in a year equal two autographs at a con. The math checks out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Have them sign both #1’s. Two number ones in a year equal two autographs at a con. The math checks out.

Dang I should have done this! He was more than happy to sign it for free. It was funny the guy in front of me was asking him why he never nailed down Doreen's origin, and North was "well, whatever it is, it would never be satifying" and he's right, and I told him that. It was like the end of Mad Men, no one would be satisfied with whatever they did so they tried to make one that at least made sense.

Too bad Henderson was in a panel while I was there, so I missed her. Zdarsky was also happy to sign my Sex Criminals Vol 1.

I wish I had known Jim Zub was going to be there, I know I have at least one thing he's done.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Was Zdarsky doing sketches? I got a his choice sketch a few years ago, and he did a spectacular looking Spider-Man.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Was Zdarsky doing sketches? I got a his choice sketch a few years ago, and he did a spectacular looking Spider-Man.

He was. I sadly missed joining the line at a good time and didn’t want to wait an hour.

He’s a talkative dude.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I talked to him about how weird Sex Criminals is because the main character's name is Suzie, as that's my sister's name, and one of the dudes she randomly hooked up with at some point was named Geoff, which is my name.

I really should have mentioned to North how I would have loved to of seen Squirrel Girl and Kate Leth's Hellcat join up.

If I had the money, i would have gotten a sketch, I'd love to see his version of Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch or Magik. I bet he gets spidy all the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
had the urge to read ewing's ultimates again and i would kill to bring this book back

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And I'm still sad about Contest of Champions. I like Al Ewing playing with the big guys like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, or Hulk but Al Ewing with tertiary characters everyone else forgets is where it's really at.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, Nadia's birthday was waaaaaay to adorable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

And I'm still sad about Contest of Champions. I like Al Ewing playing with the big guys like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, or Hulk but Al Ewing with tertiary characters everyone else forgets is where it's really at.

i'll take both i need more guillotine

e: forgot ultimates had kenneth rocafort AND christian ward on art, how did this thing get cancelled

site fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 12, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The latest FN Spider-Man was really good, and hit kinda close to home. I have a cousin with a son with a form of epilepsy that is pretty severe and very difficult to treat. He's frequently in the hospital for seizures and just generally has a rough time of things. He's otherwise healthy, but it's obviously still difficult for them all. ANYWAY, he's a HUGE Spider-Man fan (superheroes generally, but Spider-Man specifically), and there's a bunch of local cosplayers (for lack of a better term) that visit kids in the hospital and he's become friends with the Spider-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Why wasn't Wanda at Nadia's party? Actually, I have no idea where she is right now. She's not in any of the War of the Realms books.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She was just in that weekly avengers series ive already forgotten the name of

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Why wasn't Wanda at Nadia's party? Actually, I have no idea where she is right now. She's not in any of the War of the Realms books.

I could have sworn she showed up in the background, at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

I could have sworn she showed up in the background, at least.

Nope, nowhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She was a main character in both of the recent Avengers weekly series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
marvel loving cancelled wasp AGAIN

https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1128003006329491456