Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think this Carol has Kree DNA? She has infinity stone powers though.

Yeah, she got a kree infusion from yon-rogg I think. Or y'know he's just gaslighting her to add more "You owe me" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

She got her powers the old fashioned way, from an experiment blowing up.

I may be misremembering but isn't there a scene where she sits up with a nosebleed after getting hit or something where her blood is Kree color

Yeah, Yon-Rogg says he gave her a blood transfusion to save her life.

That shouldn't really change her DNA I guess but I'm not an alien doctor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

She got her powers the old fashioned way, from an experiment blowing up.

I may be misremembering but isn't there a scene where she sits up with a nosebleed after getting hit or something where her blood is Kree color

They’d given her a transfusion from Yon Rogg to help make her think she was Kree

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

That's the implanted memory version of the accident. The second time we see it her blood is red.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yon-Rogg got to me as well :tinfoil:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The biggest reason why they set Captain Marvel in the 90s is because the film is partly a Nick Fury origin film.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

howe_sam posted:

That's the implanted memory version of the accident. The second time we see it her blood is red.

Yeah but it's a pretty terrible thing to lie about.

Like at some point in the six years she served on the Starforce, she was bound to bleed at some point. And she would have to notice her blood being red not blue.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Having Captain Marvel set in the 90s doesn't hurt the movie in any way even if they don't really lean into it so I don't see how it's a weird sticking point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whenever Carol bleeds in the present, she has blue blood. The transfusion actually changed her blood. I doubt it's to the extent they did in the comics where has like 1/3 Kree brain or whatever that silly thing was.

Also Yon-Rogg tells the fake Carol Skrull about the transfusion before he kills him. He has no reason to lie to someone he's about to execute.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 10, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah but it's a pretty terrible thing to lie about.

Like at some point in the six years she served on the Starforce, she was bound to bleed at some point. And she would have to notice her blood being red not blue.

I don’t think they lied about giving her Kree blood, they just lied about the reason. They told her it granted her powers, but actually it let them control her powers remotely. It was the vector for the Supreme Intelligence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don’t think they lied about giving her Kree blood, they just lied about the reason. They told her it granted her powers, but actually it let them control her powers remotely. It was the vector for the Supreme Intelligence.

They didn't control her powers, they implanted a dampener which she rips out late in the film.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think this Carol has Kree DNA? She has infinity stone powers though.

Oh, I was under the impression that when she was caught in the explosion with Mar-Vell that it gave her some Kree DNA but yeah I guess it was more stone power than Kree stuff, huh?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Agents of Shield shows that giving Kree blood to a human will cause them to heal, also to start thinking Kree thoughts. That combined with plain old brain washing made Carol Danvers, Human from Boston think she was Vers from Halla.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked in Captain Marvel when agent Coulson said "I hope no one ever puts any Kree blood in ME. Let me die with dignity, that's what I say."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Oh, I was under the impression that when she was caught in the explosion with Mar-Vell that it gave her some Kree DNA but yeah I guess it was more stone power than Kree stuff, huh?

Yeah, no Kree are caught in the explosion like in the comic origin.

Her powers come from the Tesseract powered engine.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

zoux posted:

Ghost Rider tried to kill baby Thanos once. It didn't take.

I don't care about time travel logic in movies because the very act of even going into the past at all would cause major paradoxes. If you did something major, like kill baby Hitler for example, there isn't a single person alive today who would exist in the new timeline. Everything that is is the result of a very specific confluence of literally trillions of variables so you change anything at all, even something like air pressure from the gas displaced when you enter the past, you could change everything. You bump into some guy and jostle his nuts and he goes home and fucks his wife and a different sperm cell fertilizes (or doesnt) the egg and the original person born of that never happens.

This is why the Lost approach of "whatever happened happened" is best, fight me

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

They listed several movies, some of which I'm pretty sure had contradicting time travel rules, so that was a signal for me, and I'm sure the rest of us, to not care about or overanalyze how time travel worked in the film. Even if someone comes up with a consistent theory it will 100% be destroyed by the next film that decides to use it as a plot point.

My understanding of Endgame's time travel is that time is only linear, and you're not actually going backwards in time. Therefore nothing you do will be changing the past because it has forever happened the way it did. Instead of thinking of it as time travel, think of it as going to a 50's-Themed Diner.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think people were surprised because The Ancient one would normally be in Kamar Taj, not New York

As long as they were just having people show up for a moment and then peacing out, it woulda been neat to see Mordo and/or Kaecillius.

Given the way the plot went though, it absolutely made the most sense for The Ancient One to be there to give the stone, since nobody else would've had the omniscience or authority.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
From what I remember, they make a point of talking about time as relative to the individual. By traveling into the past, you're also traveling into your future, and the present you've just left becomes your past, which is why you can't change it. It's why I'm a big fan of closed loop time travel stories, where everything you do in the past always happened the first time round and always will. The issue is that, uh, that's clearly not what happened here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the book Timeline by Crichton, they explain that what they are actually doing isn't time travel, but travelling to one of the infinite alternative realities that are indistinguishable from this one because the only difference is that like one quark in the nucleus of an atom of molten iron in the earth's mantle had up-spin instead of down. Of course at the end one of the people who got trapped in the past shows up in a present time portrait like Jack Nicholson at the end of the Shining so who the gently caress knows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

From what I remember, they make a point of talking about time as relative to the individual. By traveling into the past, you're also traveling into your future, and the present you've just left becomes your past, which is why you can't change it. It's why I'm a big fan of closed loop time travel stories, where everything you do in the past always happened the first time round and always will. The issue is that, uh, that's clearly not what happened here.

They do but that's a needlessly complicated way to explain "Progress will not be saved."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought "you can't change the past because when you go into the past the present becomes your future and your future is the past" was a joke.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've always been a fan of The Journeyman Project's (classic adventure game series) rules for time travel, they're very neat.

If you go back in time and make a change, it only effects things after that point. To use the grandfather paradox as an example: if you go back in time and kill your grandfather you don't suddenly disappear, but when you return to the present no one will know know you because you were never born in the new timeline. They use this as a plot point/game mechanic: you play as a time cop and when history gets changed you travel to a remote island in prehistoric times to recover a historical events database (since the database is stashed in a time before any changes are likely to take place) that you can compare against the new timeline's history to figure out what's been changed.

Like I said, the rules are very clean and do away with most of the plot holes you get in time travel stories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how they meant it. They mean your personal timeline is linear.

When you go into the past you're just chugging along your normal straight timeline, not making a loop back. So if you change anything, like killing your parents, it doesn't actually matter because to you that's only happening today, not back then.

It matters to another version of you, but gently caress that guy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

That's not how they meant it. They mean your personal timeline is linear.

It's this. ScreenCrush explains this whole linear/branching timeline stuff nicely in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWd7gn55ec

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned yet but starting today showings of Endgame will have the new Spider-Man trailer attached to the end of the film. Which just makes me wonder why they didn't do this to begin with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

In the book Timeline by Crichton, they explain that what they are actually doing isn't time travel, but travelling to one of the infinite alternative realities that are indistinguishable from this one because the only difference is that like one quark in the nucleus of an atom of molten iron in the earth's mantle had up-spin instead of down. Of course at the end one of the people who got trapped in the past shows up in a present time portrait like Jack Nicholson at the end of the Shining so who the gently caress knows.

Yeah, but Crichton is a hack.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't see this mentioned yet but starting today showings of Endgame will have the new Spider-Man trailer attached to the end of the film. Which just makes me wonder why they didn't do this to begin with.

It kind of blunts the feeling of finality that the movie does a good job of presenting if you have a preview or post-credit scene after the movie. They did the right thing for the movie's immediate emotional impact by leaving that stuff out. Sure, after you left, you realized that the franchise is endless and will of course continue, but that's after you let the movie wash over you. Now that everyone's seen it (and I do mean everyone - loving thing made 2 billion dollars in 2 weeks), they can add that stuff without blunting that initial impact.

On the other hand, there's always the option that the trailer just wasn't quite ready yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my solution to how endgames time travel works is to just not care about it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but Crichton is a hack.

Jurassic Park owns sir

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

my solution to how endgames time travel works is to just not care about it

You aren't going to generate any clicks with that attitude

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shoulda just had a little line of dialogue after Banner tried to explain temporal mechanics to Rhodey and Lang where he says something like, "ya know what, don't worry about it too much." Every time travel movie needs a line like that, unless it like wants to get super scientific about it. Endgame's time travel mechanics were just a plot device in service to the drama; poo poo doesn't have to make perfect sense. Still fun to criticize though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Someone should have turned to the camera and said "This is exactly like Dragon ball Z time travel"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Jurassic Park owns sir

The movie is way better

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Someone should have turned to the camera and said "This is exactly like Dragon ball Z time travel"

But Shuri was still dusted at that point :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The reason to set Captain Marvell in the 90s should have bene "So Kamala can grow up idolizing her." Except Kamala would have no way to know who she was prior to the events of Endgame, so either that's going to be a fairly sudden infatuation or MCU Kamala is a Skrull, which admittedly would be a hell of a thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fangz posted:

The movie is way better

:yeah:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

wdarkk posted:

The reason to set Captain Marvell in the 90s should have bene "So Kamala can grow up idolizing her." Except Kamala would have no way to know who she was prior to the events of Endgame, so either that's going to be a fairly sudden infatuation or MCU Kamala is a Skrull, which admittedly would be a hell of a thing.

She has five years to grow up idolising Captain Marvel. If Kamala grew up in the 90s she'd be nearing 35.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Well being a Skrull would let her be able to shapeshift without using the terrigen gas since Inhumans fell flat on its rear end and was exiled down to Marvel's pit of "please forget this" along with Incredible Hulk and any time any exec said there was a chance of Marvel TV/Netflix characters showing up in the MCU. However making her a Skrull kind of shits all over her race/heritage which is like, a very crucial part of the character.

Just typing out terrigen makes me think, how many years is it gonna be before Marvel decides "gently caress it" and makes an Inhumans movie praying everyone rightly forgot that show? I say...4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fangz posted:

She has five years to grow up idolising Captain Marvel. If Kamala grew up in the 90s she'd be nearing 35.

This. We know Carol spent most of the 5 years off-world, but I'd guess Kamala saw Carol on one of her stops on Earth.

And let's be frank: this is a woman who's a living lava lamp who flies through outer space without a helmet. Just seeing her would make a hell of an impression on a young woman, far less the likely explanation that Carol just did some random act of heroism around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

not to mention why she has not aged in the 30ish years since she left Earth

She spends a lot of time travelling at near-light speed?