Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm confused, where does the shareholder value come in

We just need to find a way to generate it, and fortunately there are easy methods to do that. Early this decade there were couple large storms which cut electricity in large area of Finland. As a result electricity market law was changed to include standard reimbursement for outages. 12 to 24 hour outage qualifies the customer for a 10% reimbursement of their annual electricity transfer fee. 24-72h is 25%, 72-120h 50%, and so on up to 200% or 2000€ for outages lasting longer than 288 hours. This gave electricity companies great enthusiasm to start laying more cable underground. I feel this is a good system. It benefits those who suffer from the problem, so it feels fair. It also gives the companies great flexibility on how much they want to invest on their infrastructure, yet it provides a relatively simple ROI calculation.

Interestingly, there is a website listing the amount of customers without electricity and map showing in which counties they are. Currently there is a one customer suffering a power outage. Must feel real special being the on house in the country without electricity. Earlier today that company had 620 customers with an outage, so it's an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Saukkis posted:

We just need to find a way to generate it, and fortunately there are easy methods to do that. Early this decade there were couple large storms which cut electricity in large area of Finland. As a result electricity market law was changed to include standard reimbursement for outages. 12 to 24 hour outage qualifies the customer for a 10% reimbursement of their annual electricity transfer fee. 24-72h is 25%, 72-120h 50%, and so on up to 200% or 2000€ for outages lasting longer than 288 hours. This gave electricity companies great enthusiasm to start laying more cable underground. I feel this is a good system. It benefits those who suffer from the problem, so it feels fair. It also gives the companies great flexibility on how much they want to invest on their infrastructure, yet it provides a relatively simple ROI calculation.

Interestingly, there is a website listing the amount of customers without electricity and map showing in which counties they are. Currently there is a one customer suffering a power outage. Must feel real special being the on house in the country without electricity. Earlier today that company had 620 customers with an outage, so it's an improvement.

PG&E: “If your house burns down then there’s no address to restore service to, ergo”

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Saukkis posted:

That would be nice to do here in murica but the prevailing argument would be.

"We can punish corporations or they will cut jobs" aka maybe their executives makes slightly under Extremely Ludicrious Filthy Money.

*quickedit* if I recall the American Gov't actually used to do this, like when the railroads were being constructed they gave money with contractual obligations and fairly stiff penalties if they were not met.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 8, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fixed some ticking bombs around the house today.

why, grandpa fred?

WHYYYY?

:piss:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

fixed some ticking bombs around the house today.

i hate to be that guy but that exposed romex is a ticking bomb.

you should have set the box over the hole in the siding with the wire coming in the back and then caulked around the exterior to make it waterproof.

its an improvement but mains voltage wires out in free air is dangerous and not up to code.

edit: oh i just saw your posts about it in the electrical bullshit thread. nevermind, carry on. i'm glad you're aware of this and intend to fix the rest of it too.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 9, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Forklift operator did not see the guy crouching by a dock door and pinned him then raised the mast.

The incident was bad enough that the had to clean fat off of the dock floor.

This raises even more questions,questions that i don't want answering.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This raises even more questions,questions that i don't want answering.

Raises more than questions imo

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

IP44?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=8d0_1509228214

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Why would you not lay the tile flat?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why would you not lay the tile flat?

Doors probably would have just gone over it. I assume he was trying to trigger the obstruction/resistence sensor to keep the doors open vs actually propping it open; if something heavy enough to do enough damage to jolt the doors like that didn’t trip any safety sensor at all then :stonk:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Doors probably would have just gone over it. I assume he was trying to trigger the obstruction/resistence sensor to keep the doors open vs actually propping it open; if something heavy enough to do enough damage to jolt the doors like that didn’t trip any safety sensor at all then :stonk:

The doors couldn't have gone over it, elevator doors run in tracks. Laying it flat would have prevented the doors from closing, leaving it upright allowed the doors close enough together for the doors to be considered closed by the elevator controller.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
How are they getting him to pay? The elevator ate that dude

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its only the doors that close. the outside still exists.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the angry baby will develop object permanence eventually

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

50 at best, there was no seal of any kind on the back of the faceplate.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that's why they call them jack stands

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:magical:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not the outcome I was expecting when I started watching this one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/thsTwzA.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I mean, it's not wrong...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I would need to know the capacity of the stand before I deem this safe or unsafe.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That stand got feet right? Does it make a difference if the load is on a structural part other than those meant to take that load?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Structurally it's probably fine, I'd be very worried about slippage though.

Besides, you never, ever want to work under a jack anyway.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

spankmeister posted:

Structurally it's probably fine, I'd be very worried about slippage though.
I'm guessing that it's one of those things that feels horribly wrong in your gut, but may actually turn out to be relatively fine

spankmeister posted:

Besides, you never, ever want to work under a jack anyway.

What you talking about? The recommendation is to always use axle stands when you use a jack and he's clearly doing that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It is a little interesting that the wheels are still on the ground (I guess we can't actually be sure about the one he's working at, but it LOOKS like it is), looks like he just wanted to stretch the suspension out a bit. But still, everyone knows you're supposed to use a bit of rotted 4x4 post instead of the jack stand there.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Bad Munki posted:

It is a little interesting that the wheels are still on the ground (I guess we can't actually be sure about the one he's working at, but it LOOKS like it is), looks like he just wanted to stretch the suspension out a bit. But still, everyone knows you're supposed to use a bit of rotted 4x4 post instead of the jack stand there.

If you look closely, you can see he's using both!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo you’re right. A true master of the art.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/FSuXlgw.mp4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ground and water are united in their hatred of the aerodynamic blasphemy we call helicopters, and the life-rings have joined them.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Ground and water are united in their hatred of the aerodynamic blasphemy we call helicopters, and the life-rings have joined them.

This is silly. Ground and water are inanimate things that cannot possibly hate.

But helicopters can.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warbadger posted:

water cannot possibly hate.

My dude have you ever heard of this little thing we call "the sea?"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://imgur.com/gallery/yNJUXcC

Foreman orders oil rig workers to line up an open flowing pipe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yNJUXcC

Foreman orders oil rig workers to line up an open flowing pipe.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The dashcam video is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8b9mwSVBGs

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is amazing. The slowest car chase ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/nhAsvBv.mp4

i know