Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I swear the Rohan thing got changed in like, a Rohan Kishibe Does Not Move chapter. I don't remember what he says in Part 4 tho

and the thing about being born with Stands doesn't make sense if it's a virus. Like how did you get it then? You can't really use the fact Part 3 characters were born with them cause Araki hadn't written the virus thing yet.

It's probably better if he never said that, but it doesn't bother me really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
also I don't remember if this is where we first learn that the arrows are made from a meteorite, I think it's a cool detail

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Expect My Mom posted:

I swear the Rohan thing got changed in like, a Rohan Kishibe Does Not Move chapter. I don't remember what he says in Part 4 tho

and the thing about being born with Stands doesn't make sense if it's a virus. Like how did you get it then?

it's an inherited virus.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
this is the anime were bricks made of snakes cure viruses, don't sweat the biological details too much, it just works.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
have you heard of morphogenetic fields

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kuvo posted:

also i love how Green Day Tea is very much a "Araki read about it in a book" stand

『Get Down』

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just view the virus thing as basically a jumpstart into the process and not the only way for stands to form

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's not that you have to contract the virus to get a Stand, it's that developing one is a side effect of your will being tested to fight off the magic space virus. right?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i think you're thinking of rohan at the louvre, which had rohan as a kid using his stand. in part 4 he explains to a beheavens doored koichi that he got hit by the arrow

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The virus thing is dumb but thankfully ignorable

Though did we really need an explanation besides "shits magic yo"?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's not that you have to contract the virus to get a Stand, it's that developing one is a side effect of your will being tested to fight off the magic space virus. right?

Except this doesn't make sense since the entire point is that being stabbed by the Arrow gives you the virus, and then surpassing it gives you your Stand. It's specifically the fact that it's virus-coated that does the job, rather than a person's will.

This was just a really dumb retcon that won't matter because Araki just writes a lot of poo poo depending on how he feels that particular chapter and then discards whatever he didn't like.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This doesn't seem all that different to me from "you become a vampire by having your brain poked in just the right places," really. It's a goofy sci fi explanation for magic so we can move on and have magic in the modern day. Magic meteorite arrows give hereditary superpowers - it just makes sense.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gnome7 posted:

This doesn't seem all that different to me from "you become a vampire by having your brain poked in just the right places," really. It's a goofy sci fi explanation for magic so we can move on and have magic in the modern day. Magic meteorite arrows give hereditary superpowers - it just makes sense.

That poo poo was dumb as hell too, just make it magic and skip the bs

Though I'm sure we'll have forgotten all of this in one episode and it will never come up again just like the thing with the mask

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

I mean, for all we know, bits of the original meteor vaporized into the atmosphere and one in a hundred million people are exposed to enough trace amounts of space rock dust to independently develop a Stand.

Or Araki forgot, as per usual.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not the only way to get a stand, it's something that forces a person's body to adapt and go through a trial that ends up with them either dead or with a stand

it's not that complicated, ya weirdos

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

On the subject of Rohan: He tells Koichi he got his stand after being shot by the arrow, but in Rohan Goes to the Louvre he has it when he’s younger. You can interpret it as either him lying to Koichi after reading his memories about the business with the arrows in Morioh or as him embellishing his story in Goes to the Louvre. After all, the Rohan spinoffs are written as if it’s him telling the stories.

As for the virus, it’s just the mechanism of how the arrow works. Stands can still be inborn like the Part 3 Heroes and Giorno or achieved through other means (Tonio through his perfection of cooking and, according to a short guide to stands Araki wrote later on, Hamon and the stone masks).

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
By itself, Green Day would come right behind Ratt as the most disgusting Stand so far for me, but the fact it's being used by a former doctor who records snuff films and gave his patients just enough anesthesia for them to wake up and feel everything he was cutting up puts it over the top. :gonk:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rohan 100% lies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supersonic Shine posted:

By itself, Green Day would come right behind Ratt as the most disgusting Stand so far for me, but the fact it's being used by a former doctor who records snuff films and gave his patients just enough anesthesia for them to wake up and feel everything he was cutting up puts it over the top. :gonk:

Driving the elderly to suicide and recording it was also pretty awful.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Also makes people watch as he kills their loved ones in front of them.

Boss is not exaggerating when he says he's the biggest piece of poo poo on earth.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo also sounds like he regrets inducting him into Passione and that he only did so under false pretenses

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Diavolo also sounds like he regrets inducting him into Passione and that he only did so under false pretenses

Says something when the guy named devil thinks you are scum.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Cioccolatta is hands down the most hosed up dude in the entire series, even more so than the likes of Kira or DIO.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Cioccolatta is hands down the most hosed up dude in the entire series, even more so than the likes of Kira or DIO.

At least they both had something resembling charisma rather than having a personality straight out of an internet creepypasta

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diavolo's perfectly fine with using Cioccolatta as a hatchet man, look what happened to Gelatto and Sorbet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

Diavolo's perfectly fine with using Cioccolatta as a hatchet man, look what happened to Gelatto and Sorbet.

I for one am glad to finally see juggalo representation in anime.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Probably cause even an evil crime lord knows when himself or his regular men don't have the stomach to send a harsh enough message themselves. That's when you call crazy johnny Fuckface.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kinda funny how they subtitled them as 'green tea and sanctuary' which makes it sound like it's supposed to be relaxing when even anime-only people already know that goddamn green day just out here carpetbombing a town with altitude mold

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Green Day's power kinda reminds me of Purple Haze in a way. Just better controlled and with an easier means of infection, at the cost of the instant death efficiency.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Says something when the guy named devil thinks you are scum.

Diavolo kills for power and to protect his identity

Cioccolatta on the other hand just kills because he can

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kira has a boner for hands and murder is the easiest path to sweet hand action

Ciocolatta has a boner for murder

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Green Day's power kinda reminds me of Purple Haze in a way. Just better controlled and with an easier means of infection, at the cost of the instant death efficiency.

I think this may be because Cioccolata was possibly created to replace Fugo role in the story.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Though that's pure fan-theory. Extremely plausible but never confirmed by Araki himself.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FqEX--FaM

maybe not new to the thread but thought it was pretty dope

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was shocked that this week's episode was over so quickly, I was really into it. Now I have to wait until next week to see world's worst person get murdered.

Also does he have a Frankenstein, what's up with the dude in the skin suit?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Green Day being a replacement to Purple Haze definitely makes sense considering Araki genuinely said™ that he couldn't bring himself to have Fugo fight the boys. But he genuinely has not said™ that it's a fact.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man this fights gonna get hella weird

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I don't actually remember that many specifics, but this is the one stand fight I even have any recollection of from reading this part ages ago because it seemed so bizarre.

I didn't remember what a massive piece of garbage the stand user is though. Hoping he is ghost punched repeatedly and with much vigor.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah, it didn't come across as much in the manga that Diavolo (or one of his lietenants) went "hey, this guy's a doctor, it'd be handy to have one working for us" and only found out how much of a monster he was after awakening his nightmare of a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ManlyGrunting posted:

Though that's pure fan-theory. Extremely plausible but never confirmed by Araki himself.

That is why I said it's possibly the reason.