Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Don't forget to make your toons do Admiralty missions for EC/Dil, Bootcha

I still have about over 1m unrefined across alts saved for upgrade weekend/fleet projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I get that with 10+ 65's with access to a handful of t6's from dil->zen purchases and annual events makes admiralty a breeze. I get that folks have stockpiled enough EC over the years to help out new players and buy stacks of contraband for each new toon to make leveling and further snowballing a quick cycling affair. And I understand what a few of you do on a daily basis to further your space wealth works very well for the tools at your disposal.

I can only say I'm not there yet.

I've got eight 65's running admiralty, and only four of them are ToD maxed. I've only got one t6 and that's on fed side, so my single klingon and jem'hadars are poo poo outta luck. I've got maybe 300k of unrefined dil accross all toons. My richest toon is the one I just did the experiment with at 19 mil EC, and that's only enough to fund 5 toon's worth of 22 days of contraband turn-ins. I've been spending time crafting purple gear not for the exchange but for leveling new alts to make the climb to 65 a bit easier for each cycle. I have thrown about 40 bucks at the game, in order to buy the t1 Zen ships, shuttles, and a few extra toon slots. In which case I have absolutely skipped about 3-4 months of ingame "work".

The purpose of the low-end experiments is to see what works within the context of a newer player without access to the material legacy older players enjoy, without having to resort to throwing hundreds of dollars at a game just to "catch up". Which is why I questioned the key->EC->dil->Zen cycle as the optimal "first step", because a new player without spending money will have more time and effort as a resource than assets. Which is why tracking and discovering the endeavor rewards give much more EC than admiralty, and makes a case for early on concentration of doing endeavors than sweating admiralty curation as a solution to EC issues. The current endeavor and "free t6 ship" TFO systems makes it easier for new players certainly, but there are still some hurdles to clear before things start snowballing to "space rich" status.

I do appreciate the advice given here, and the late game cycling something to "look forward to" (in the sense I'm not spending as much time and effort as I used to) when I'm there. But as I said, I'm not there, yet.

But in the meantime, I'm still looking for other EC earning methods that are managable. The one that interests me right now is the doff-mulching exchange game. So I'd ask what are the tools and mechanics people use in that pursuit?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best way to earn EC is flipping on the exchange. Watch a few commodity items for a couple weeks to get a feel for what the low and normal prices are, stock up when low, sell when above what you paid. Don’t hold out for market highs constantly be churning.

I make about 1 mil per day profit with a handful of lazy sales of one item that I’ve gotten to know well. That’s super low effort and not trying to do anything more than slowly run my stock down. You can do much better if you give a gently caress.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Buy the Omega Frags right now and during the upgrade event. In 1 month they will go past 700k and eventually top out at 800k per.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
anyone else having problems launching the game? it was working fine about 4 hours ago, and now it just doesn't start. i've tried restarting steam and restarting the pc and nothing. it doesn't throw any error messages or pop up any windows at all. also the steam version of the game has the "verify local files" button greyed out and without being able to get the launcher to start i'm not sure how to force a refresh. hoping i don't have to do a full re-install

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

glad they still haven't fixed this

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://ussstarchaser.fandom.com/wiki/Nbreeki Looks like someone has a fan.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

glad they still haven't fixed this

Is there a fix for this?

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Mondian posted:

Is there a fix for this?

Borticus: Don't get injured

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Tech upgrade weekend this weekend.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Tech upgrade weekend this weekend.

I am prepared. If anyone needs some Salvaged Tech though, let me know.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mondian posted:

Is there a fix for this?

I consider it a badge of honor to manage to take so many injuries that they can't fit on my ship and go into the overflow bag

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It also reveals how many systems in STO are basically "shove a hidden item in a normally inaccessible inventory". Injuries? Costume unlocks? Traits? Yep. :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

It also reveals how many systems in STO are basically "shove a hidden item in a normally inaccessible inventory". Injuries? Costume unlocks? Traits? Yep. :allears:

Set bonuses too

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I've got that poo poo on two characters now and it locks out access to services like the lobi store, that's why I ask

e:

timjin posted:

I am prepared. If anyone needs some Salvaged Tech though, let me know.

try harder

Mondian fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 9, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gentlemen if you aren't going to prepare seriously I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the warroom

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

All the New Romulus missions are fun and some of the best parts of the game, the designers of the game are really good at creating settings for away missions that aren't on starships, and I like that it continues to have custom dialog for the Romulus faction. It'd be better, though, if there weren't a bug in each pair of missions in the same instance. At the end of the first, the game tells you that you should leave the instance, and then the next mission tells you that you need to go back to the same instance and repeat everything before you can do something extra which you could have done without repeating anything if you were more careful.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 9, 2019

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Mondian posted:

Yeah, I've got that poo poo on two characters now and it locks out access to services like the lobi store, that's why I ask

e:

try harder

You got me beat there sir. I am using all of my crafting frags to sell and flip.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

galenanorth posted:

All the New Romulus missions are fun and some of the best parts of the game, the designers of the game are really good at creating settings for away missions that aren't on starships, and I like that it continues to have custom dialog for the Romulus faction. It'd be better, though, if there weren't a bug in each pair of missions in the same instance. At the end of the first, the game tells you that you should leave the instance, and then the next mission tells you that you need to go back to the same instance and repeat everything before you can do something extra which you could have done without repeating anything if you were more careful.

This gets me every single goddamn time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moon Slayer posted:

This gets me every single goddamn time.

They fixed that fairly recently. Just call them on the space-phone to turn in the quest while you're still in the instance and you can get the next quest, which you can do right there since you're already there.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11157043-the-section-31-lock-box

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wow those look like poo poo. The Klingon one seems built around ramming, which I'm, uh, not convinced is a good thing to go for.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh the fed one is OK.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Expanse did it better

Hopefully the vanity shield follows the recent trend of being super common, I want some blacked out stealth action but I dunno if I care to drop any EC on that S31 ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. So if the Riposte event is over, is there just a break before we can start earning more coupon points?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh the fed one is OK.

I didn’t mind the design in the show and if it’s a full science destroyer like the Dyson ships and the Mirror Crossfield it could be a lot of fun. Otherwise it doesn’t seem too interesting.

The personal trait that does cooldown reduction on universal consoles, on the other hand, could be amazing on the right ship.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. So if the Riposte event is over, is there just a break before we can start earning more coupon points?
Yeah, presumably it'll be the next featured STF, probably in a week or three.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, presumably it'll be the next featured STF, probably in a week or three.

Ah well. Just picked up the t6 Prometheus from dilzen this evening. Convenient for my Feds who often found themselves a bit short on high-end tac cards.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The first mission in Solonae Dyson Sphere is fantastic. This part of the game is a lot better than when it had all those missions at the beginning taking place in the lookalike interiors of all the ships of all the different factions

The network of platforms and bridges with live imagery of the different planets was really cool, and also it was great to have a "lead the way, Ambassador Worf" mission that goes some place completely off the maps

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Ship stats and stuff

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11157083-command-the-ships-of-the-section-31-lock-box%21

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

so now that it's upgrade week I guess I should buy the latest flavor of the month

here's what i currently have, the one quirk i will not compromise on is running +beam instead of a single energy weapon because i like rainboats

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tunicate posted:

so now that it's upgrade week I guess I should buy the latest flavor of the month

here's what i currently have, the one quirk i will not compromise on is running +beam instead of a single energy weapon because i like rainboats

The current phaser Cannon meta pretty much requires you to run a rainbow boat anyway. TTF cannons, Prolonged Engagement, Sensor-Linked, and the Bio-molecular and Trilithium turrets are all different colours.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Huh? I haven't kept up with like the past year of changes, but what's the point of prolonged engagement? Duals suck rear end even at 115%, is it just for the 2pc cd?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mondian posted:

Huh? I haven't kept up with like the past year of changes, but what's the point of prolonged engagement? Duals suck rear end even at 115%, is it just for the 2pc cd?

They’re apparently the second best parsing weapon in the game behind the Terran Beam/cannon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

I liked rainboats but then they came out with chroniton.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

There's a couple of sets you can integrate that are worth checkin out:

Trilithium-Laced Console + Omni
House Martok Console + Omni
Entoiled 3-piece

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

If you guys want me to help with the Colony upgrades faster, I can bring in 30 or more of my Fed alts to collect ore. They are currently sitting in my alt fleet at the moment used for bank storage so let me know.

EDIT: Nvm, lagomorphic was kind enough to help me out!

Rx King fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

galenanorth posted:

The first mission in Solonae Dyson Sphere is fantastic. This part of the game is a lot better than when it had all those missions at the beginning taking place in the lookalike interiors of all the ships of all the different factions

The network of platforms and bridges with live imagery of the different planets was really cool, and also it was great to have a "lead the way, Ambassador Worf" mission that goes some place completely off the maps

STO was really good during Dyson. Enjoy it while it lasts.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

super sweet best pal posted:

STO was really good during Dyson. Enjoy it while it lasts.
There's another run of really good missions when you hit the Victory is Life section. Unfortunately it ends really abruptly and immediately pivots to disco stuff, which so far has not been anywhere near the same quality.*

* I haven't played the new missions that they just released today, so I can't comment on their quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there a new TFO for that ticket thing yet or is that just on hold?