Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fellis posted:

I do not remember sourface going to town on saitamas hog being in the comic

just wait until Murata redraws that chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's funny how little people understand why these decisions are made.

Knowing the context just helps explain why the result is terrible, they don’t change that the result is terrible

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

do the production committees ever make decisions like "this anime needs to look absolutely spectacular?" what are their tools for making that happen? the impression i've gotten whenever these threads talk about it is that good animation is essentially wholly a product of the production staff deciding that they want it to look good (and are willing to not sleep for the next few days to make a gorgeous cut), and there isn't really a mechanism for a production committee to sink in more money for better animation.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 10, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Knowing the context just helps explain why the result is terrible, they don’t change that the result is terrible

If only incessant whining on the internet improved conditions in the workplace for animators instead of the opposite.

At least they got rid of that director that also threw a tantrum about Kemono Friends.

It's not like I don't get people's disappointment with the series and I don't have a lot of good things to say about it, but calling it terrible just kinda does the people working on it a disservice. They do shonen stuff and OPM just has a different pace and style to that, that they can't capture.

There's little to say more than that.

Oh and the OP is surprisingly weak and lacks punch.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
it's terrible

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mordaedil posted:

Season 3 is what matters anyway.

because there was a scheduling conflict with the previous series director and someone screamed "DO IT ANYWAY"

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Attestant posted:

it's terrible

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dear lord

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

This reminds me of Gintama's anime parodies for some reason

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fellis posted:

I do not remember sourface going to town on saitamas hog being in the comic

Murata drew Fubuki trying on clothes instead of that.

Attestant posted:

No matter what the "why" is, the end result is still dumb.

People keep bringing up the reason why this happened because acting like the producers just decided to not put any effort in at all is extremely dumb.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The above comparison seems to show more than just rushed animation. that poo poo is just straight up awful

look at it!

They got the drat storyboard in the Murata drawings, all they gotta do is add a few frames to each scene

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

they could have added zero frames to Murata's version and it would have improved markedly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

they could have added zero frames to Murata's version and it would have improved markedly

I'd just settle for colouring in the lines honestly

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ninjewtsu posted:

do the production committees ever make decisions like "this anime needs to look absolutely spectacular?" what are their tools for making that happen? the impression i've gotten whenever these threads talk about it is that good animation is essentially wholly a product of the production staff deciding that they want it to look good (and are willing to not sleep for the next few days to make a gorgeous cut), and there isn't really a mechanism for a production committee to sink in more money for better animation.

There is one method for the production committee to generally give a show higher quality animation, by budgeting more of the most important resource of them all: give the staff more time so they can run on a schedule that humans can actually keep. When a production falls apart it is almost always because the schedule was impossible and they ran out of time.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Whatever your feelings on this season, blame the production company, not the actual artists. I hope everyone knows it's not their fault.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

Whatever your feelings on this season, blame the production company, not the actual artists. I hope everyone knows it's not their fault.

Yeah, of course. It's really, really obvious the issue with this season is the same as the one Dragon Ball Super had: extremely rushed production causing the animators to be completely unable to produce a good product, not because of any lack of effort or talent but because they lack the most important resource: time. And that is most definitely not their fault.

This was really badly handled and hopefully it'll experience the same kind of backlash Dragon Ball Super did (where even Toriyama himself, who doesn't give a poo poo about most things, complained), not because I want them to be punished but because it made Super's animation grow noticeably better as the series went on. Of course, OPM has far less time, but it might make the eventual S3 get a proper schedule instead of this rush that was probably really painful on the animators and artists too.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Mordaedil posted:

It's funny how little people understand why these decisions are made.

I can say the same thing about the 737 Max but like this anime, the final product is still flaming wreckage.

Nanigans posted:

It's almost always the managements fault. Season 2 looks exactly like you would expect if they were told to redraw everything in between each episode release and they only hired half the number of animators needed to do it in the first place. It's unfortunate and I don't think anyone blames the artists who are probably being literally flogged to produce content faster at this point so that the producer can get a bonus.

Still not as bad as that Berserk wiggle walk someone posted earlier. That genuinely made me laugh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
this but Murata's art

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The junk collector posted:

Still not as bad as that Berserk wiggle walk someone posted earlier. That genuinely made me laugh.

Nothing's gonna surpass Berserk 2016 for sheer "how did this animation get released in this state."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Earlier someone mentioned that they were still reeling from the eartquake back in September so the power not staying on consistently was probably another issue.

Another problem that could've been solved by giving them more prep time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mordaedil posted:

If only incessant whining on the internet improved conditions in the workplace for animators instead of the opposite.

At least they got rid of that director that also threw a tantrum about Kemono Friends.

It's not like I don't get people's disappointment with the series and I don't have a lot of good things to say about it, but calling it terrible just kinda does the people working on it a disservice. They do shonen stuff and OPM just has a different pace and style to that, that they can't capture.

There's little to say more than that.

Oh and the OP is surprisingly weak and lacks punch.

shut up moron

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

"We should improve conditions for animators somewhat."

"Yet you participate in watching anime. Curious! I am very intelligent."

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

holy poo poo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, that was the fight I was looking forward to most, and they didn't do a good job with it. They might be saving budget for the Suiryu fight, but it's nowhere near as good or interesting as Metal Bat v Garou.

Also I didn't like Zenko's VA.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I'm not going to say that this doesn't look awful, but it's not really a fair comparison.
One is meant as a still image meant to convey movement which you can look at as long as you wany. The other is a image which is part of a sequence depicting movement which you would normally only see for a second. The latter will always have less detail.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Nothing's gonna surpass Berserk 2016 for sheer "how did this animation get released in this state."

With Berserk 2016, they didn't even really start making the show at all until a month or so before the first episode :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
See, there's a lot of stuff happening behi-

gently caress, nevermind, this is absolute garbage on fire.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

Is he shooting a hadouken in the anime?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's almost impressive how the animators fundamentally misunderstood the scene. :psyduck:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

I think I figured it out, they accidentally used ONEs drawings as storyboards instead of Murata's.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

graham cracker posted:

I think I figured it out, they accidentally used ONEs drawings as storyboards instead of Murata's.

Murata basically uses One's storyboards, because ONE is an exceptionally good artist when it comes to compositions.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tag urself, I'm the vaguely annoyed expression

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm the third hand on the left. One of the afterimages.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm the complete lack of dynamism from Garou's legs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCURl6Hfqg

Here's the fight itself, and yeah, looks like he just kinda counters and throws a quick tiny hadouken.

Also, i'm the huge puffy left pantleg

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm Metal Bat's mitten hand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not as bad as I thought it would be but it's still weak as poo poo.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The anime is making it hard to care about any of these characters or any of their fights. Blizzard, Tank Top Master, Metal Bat - none of them feel strong or interesting. Even King is meh. I think it's more the pacing than the art, though the art certainly doesn't help. If I had not read the manga, I don't know how much I would have cared to keep up the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

tag urself, I'm the vaguely annoyed expression

I'm the hunch